Link Posted: 7/15/2006 7:21:37 PM EDT
[#1]
Good post.
Link Posted: 7/15/2006 7:58:49 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 7/15/2006 8:48:52 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:

Do not even expect me to go shooting in this weather to try these things out please!

You Navy guys get too far from that cool ocean breeze and just wilt, eh?
Link Posted: 7/15/2006 8:57:00 PM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 7/15/2006 9:28:51 PM EDT
[#5]
Yeah, besides, isn't Paul the guy with the kick ass SHTF house that is probably more comfortable than anything most of us can imagine? He probably has like underground wells with pumps to mimic springs and caves that let in cool drafts and some other crazy crap. We know you reitred military people have too much time on your hands and won't adjust to civilian life.

Anyways, in keeping with the spirit of the topic, I figure I should take pictures of the Bushy 10 round mags so people can see them.

This particular topic was an interest to me LONG ago when I built this rifle (which I have still NOT fired due to a constant lack of funds to enable me to purchase an anodizing set up). I think I might just run with it and when it craps out it craps out. Anyway, it is a pinned mag homebrew from the days of the fab10, when the Vulcan was just talk. It is permanently pinned (and I mean PERMANENT. I had to replace the mag once already, and it was in pieces in order to get it out, the roll pin included).

The need to clean a fixed mag is great, and sometimes you just need to know how to fix something JUST IN CASE. Well I set out to figure out how to do just that with the Bushmaster 10 round mags that can't be taken apart. So it cost me a mag to take it to pieces, but it taught me something I didn't know, so it was worth it. And now, the pictures.

First, the receiver itself. Maybe I should just turn it into a rimfire and not worry about pressure curves and the tensile strength of aluminum.

The magazine is pinned in place with a blind roll pin behind the mag release bar. Needless to say, it CAN'T come out. So what to do when you get a spring that binds, a piece of debris in the mag, or any number of problems? Well you turn the thing over on it's side and you look at the logo.

Mine does not have it, but there is a small dent in the plsatic that looks like it is where the mold was poured. It is not, however. Drill through that, ever so slightly, and you will reveal a hidden pin. On the first mag (that got destroyed) I was able to pull it out with an ordinary nail, it was just a plastic plug that was poorley sealed. The second mag, the one in the picture, took a bit of careful drilling but it came out. PLASTIC IS SOFT. Take your time; you're not drilling through to the pin, but removing the plug. With a soft rap on something hard, the pin falls free.

The little rounded bump on the side of the magazine gets pushed and it falls out, allowing the internals of the magazine to slide right out allowing you to clean, repair, or replace any part of it. Keep in mind that taking the magazine apart and altering it to hold more than 10 rounds is a crime and should not be done without proper permits or permission.

The pin stays in very solid in mine, but the first mag it would fall out easily. It might require a piece of epoxy, glue, tape, etc to hold the pin from falling out on some mags. Either way, the magazine is not able to be taken apart which everyone claims you can't do without destroying it.

Hope it helps someone out there.
Link Posted: 7/15/2006 10:05:11 PM EDT
[#6]
Can the rifle be converted back to a detachable mag configuration with hand tools?
Link Posted: 7/15/2006 10:25:30 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
Can the rifle be converted back to a detachable mag configuration with hand tools?

It is my opinion that ANYTHING can be done with hand tools. So to ask that question is kind of irrelevant.

Now from a legal stand point, I understand what you are asking, and to be honest, I would imagine that if I handed this particular receiver over to someone and asked them to take the magazine out, the entire receiver would be destroyed in the process. The magazine itself HAS to be destroyed to remove it, and once removed a magazine can NOT be inserted inted the receiver without modification. To give you an idea to the extent I fixed the magazine, you will notice the rear leg of the follower is pretty much non-existant. That's because the roll pin passes through the magazine (not in a notch like the Vulcan, but actually in one side and out the other) and is locked in place on BOTH sides of the receiver. In all honesty, I don't think this thing will EVER be anything but a fixed mag, even if I moved out of the state.
Link Posted: 7/15/2006 10:48:09 PM EDT
[#8]
small tools, tiny parts hey
on a serious note i've been waiting to see what the stuff looks like up close.  nice pics.
looks like a veery good system.
Link Posted: 7/15/2006 11:50:06 PM EDT
[#9]
Paul,

what kind of camera did you use taking those pictures?  They are amazing.
Link Posted: 7/16/2006 5:54:52 AM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 7/16/2006 5:57:15 AM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 7/16/2006 6:01:51 AM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 7/16/2006 7:17:49 AM EDT
[#13]
Thanks, but no thanks

The MonsterMan Grip is my cup of evil
Link Posted: 7/16/2006 7:25:52 AM EDT
[#14]
I like the kit, think I might actually get one since I need a take down pin and magazine.  But awhile ago I bought a similar device from a guy on another web site.  Basically a mag release button that was drilled and came with a small set screw and allen wrench.  While I love the concept the mag release button was plastic which I am concerned will wear or strip over time.  I travel to AZ a lot and want to be able to back the set screw out to use it with removalable mags.  Then before coming home to CA I put the ten round back in place and tighten the set screw down.

I haven't used it yet since it is going in an offlist lower which I haven't completed yet.  I have a completed FAB10 that I love.

So, does this kit come with a plastic mag release button or a metal one?  
Link Posted: 7/16/2006 1:01:18 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:
Thanks, but no thanks

The MonsterMan Grip is my cup of evil

Even w/ a hangover that made me laugh.
Link Posted: 7/16/2006 3:04:25 PM EDT
[#16]
Link Posted: 7/16/2006 4:24:52 PM EDT
[#17]
Nice kit.  I'll need 4 for my off list lowers.  But I was wondering if this kit would be ok to put on my DOJ approved Vulcan receiver with the crappy mag?  I bought mine before they started using glue or epoxy.
Link Posted: 7/16/2006 4:28:18 PM EDT
[#18]
Link Posted: 7/16/2006 10:24:02 PM EDT
[#19]
+1 on 10% firearms.
When I looked back on my emails from 6 months ago, when the BRD started, I laugh at the newbish question I asked him. Back in January,  during the peak of the off list hysteria he could have just brushed me off, as I am sure he had plenty of other customers.

He was very helpful then as he is now, so I purchase my AR parts whenever possible from 10%.
Link Posted: 7/18/2006 5:41:33 AM EDT
[#20]
+2

I do most of my business at 10% firearms.

(It's also my AO for the PD)

I will pickup my off list lower, prince50 kit and bushy mag today.

If anyone is coming into Taft (10% Firearms), send me a e-mail i'll try to come by and meet ya !   I work m-f 8-5.

SgtWhiting
Link Posted: 7/18/2006 8:11:11 AM EDT
[#21]
Wes and CWS were both there in the early morning hours of the OLL fiasco, without those guys we wouldnt have made it so strong a turn out.

I drove from Oakland to Taft to pickup that first lower and I kept thinking the DOJ was going to be there waiting to talk with us when we got there.
Link Posted: 7/18/2006 9:46:32 AM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:
Wes and CWS were both there in the early morning hours of the OLL fiasco, without those guys we wouldnt have made it so strong a turn out.

Hahah yeah.
I couldn't stay at the San Jose show where it all started en masse, but friends running a booth kept calling me later that afternoon and Sunday with the rumors that "there was gonna be a bust of the redhead with the ARs".   Iggy was flustered, and Don Kilmer walked by and checked out the paperwork given with the lowers and pronounced it OK.

I drove from Oakland to Taft to pickup that first lower and I kept thinking the DOJ was going to be there waiting to talk with us when we got there.

I drove to Taft end of December, it was a nice trip.  But I was thinking that DOJ would "investigate" at the last minute and my lowers could be held in limbo.  When I had my lowers I celebrated w/a nice prime rib at Harris Ranch.

Bill Wiese
San Jose CA

Link Posted: 7/18/2006 1:15:56 PM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Hahah yeah.
I couldn't stay at the San Jose show where it all started en masse, but friends running a booth kept calling me later that afternoon and Sunday with the rumors that "there was gonna be a bust of the redhead with the ARs".   Iggy was flustered, and Don Kilmer walked by and checked out the paperwork given with the lowers and pronounced it OK.

I drove to Taft end of December, it was a nice trip.  But I was thinking that DOJ would "investigate" at the last minute and my lowers could be held in limbo.  When I had my lowers I celebrated w/a nice prime rib at Harris Ranch.

Bill Wiese
San Jose CA

Feels like that was years ago-not months ago.  We burnt some midnight oil tryiong to help Wes find replacements for the Fultons that were indian-given, and DSA raised rates when they found out where they were going.    
Link Posted: 7/20/2006 2:30:42 AM EDT
[#24]
I ordered this Prince 50 Kit and the mag release button is too big to fit confortably into the reciever(gotta use quite a bit of force to get it half way in). What should i do?
Link Posted: 7/20/2006 2:37:05 AM EDT
[#25]
What type fo receiver are you using?

You could always return it if it is out of spec, but personally I don't like waiting, wasting people's time, etc so I would just take it over to a belt sander, or even a hand file, and just take off a couple thousandths until it slides in properly.
Link Posted: 7/20/2006 3:07:33 AM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:

Double Star. I thought about just using fine sandpaper and going to work on it. Things should fit though, don't you think. The standard button that came with my lower parts kit fits just fine. hmmm
Link Posted: 7/20/2006 8:40:09 AM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:

Quoted:
Paul,

what kind of camera did you use taking those pictures?  They are amazing.

I'm upgrading the camera with a Nikon D70s with matching 18-200mm Nikon lens and flash but I'll still likely keep the Olympus around for awhile. I've taken close to 20,000 pictures with it and it's having trouble with its auto-focus and its flash bracket. Still works great for manual focused shots and I have a bounce grip that works perfect.

You should love the Nikon D70s. I picked one up last year just after it was introduced to replace the D70. It takes excellent photos and has enough technology and automation to make a novice photographer take great photos but enough manual settings to allow a more experienced photographer have complete control on all of the settings. I've owned 35mm SLR's since the early 80's and was reluctent to switch to a digital SLR until the D70s due to cost and until the last few years, photo quality compared to 35mm. I like it so much that I am now completely digital in both SLR and compact cameras with the exception of an older Minolta 35mm camera which is waterproof. I keep that one because it is great for fishing, beach, camping, desert, etc. where sand and water could damage a more expensive digital.

Excellent choice in the 18-200mm lens. With the difference in sensor size in the D70s compared to 35mm format, it will essentially be seen by the camera as a 35mm equivelent of a 27-300mm. I personally went with a Tamron 18-200mm as I have used Tamron for years and have had great success with them. I also have a Tamron 28-300mm digital/film lens left over from my last 35mm SLR which the smaller sensor on the D70s sees as a 42-450mm. Between the 2 lenses I can cover a whole lot of ground. If you haven't purchased yet, try a Google search on Tamron reviews compared to Nikor lenses and you may find like I did a reason to choose the Tamron.
Link Posted: 7/20/2006 2:46:54 PM EDT
[#28]
Ditto on the Nikon D70. On a good flat screen monitor, the images are so defined that they become almost three dimensional.

And so as to not hijack....   Wes has good deals and great service.
Link Posted: 7/20/2006 4:24:30 PM EDT
[#29]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Double Star. I thought about just using fine sandpaper and going to work on it. Things should fit though, don't you think. The standard button that came with my lower parts kit fits just fine. hmmm

If you feel you can get it to work, I would say go for it. It will give you a sense of satisfaction that you did something; like how putting together a lower makes it feel like you built it, but buying one just makes it feel like you own it.
Link Posted: 7/20/2006 5:43:31 PM EDT
[#30]
Link Posted: 7/29/2006 6:17:46 AM EDT
[#31]
I would sand down the $5 pin rather than the $100 lower.  If you screw up you can always replace the pin.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top