Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 12/10/2004 2:23:45 AM EDT
Guys, on the extremely remote possibility of my GF dragging me screaming and kicking to Kali, can someone tell me or point me somewhere where I can find out just what's left that I can have concering firearms and magazines?  I was hoping this would be tacted up or in a thread I could find.  I'm not even sure I could own airsoft that's not painted orange there at this point.  I know I can't bring my NFA (right?), I remember SKS had to be turned in, and there is a list of banned weapons.  I'm just not up on Cali laws (due to disgust) but now I need to find out.  Is there a web page that tells me bottom line collectively what I can have? (and I am not LEO/GOV/MIL).

TIA
Link Posted: 12/10/2004 5:28:45 AM EDT
[#1]
below are some highlights of Ca law that can be found at:
ag.ca.gov/firearms/dwcl/index.html

No magazines over 10 rounds.

No semi-auto rifles with pistol grips and detachable mags
No semi-auto rifles with flash hiders and detachable mags (muzzle brakes are OK)

No AR or AK of any form, by any maker (FAB-10 and pump-action AK are OK)
See list of prohibited assault weapons in the link below
ag.ca.gov/firearms/dwcl/12275.htm

No SKS with detachable mags

No 50BMG rifles

No grenade launchers

No tracer or armor piercing ammo

All handguns you bring have to be registered with Ca DOJ

No multi-shot trigger activators

Link Posted: 12/10/2004 6:21:07 AM EDT
[#2]
First of all welcome, there's about 45% of the voting population on your side.

Don't get rid of any firearms, just leave them in a neighboring state if possible.

Link Posted: 12/10/2004 7:24:26 AM EDT
[#3]
you will need to register that nutshell with the doj.
Link Posted: 12/10/2004 7:41:02 AM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:

Where's the code section that bans SKSes with detachable magazines?
Link Posted: 12/10/2004 9:06:25 AM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:

Quoted:

it's somewhere...in the robertee roos..
Link Posted: 12/10/2004 10:21:29 AM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

it's somewhere...in the robertee roos..

PC §12276 - Assault Weapon means...
(a) All of the following specified rifles:
(11) "SKS with detachable magazines"
Link Posted: 12/10/2004 12:41:12 PM EDT
[#7]
Can someone explain what's wrong w/ tracer ammo? Or is there no reason for the ban like all the other laws?
Link Posted: 12/10/2004 1:01:50 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
Can someone explain what's wrong w/ tracer ammo? Or is there no reason for the ban like all the other laws?

pretty much the latter.

though in some places you can't even shoot steel core because it's a fire hazard (can someone explain this to me?)
Link Posted: 12/10/2004 2:00:41 PM EDT
[#9]
Thanks DnPRK and crew.

On the SKS, was it only those with detachable magazines that had to be turned in?  I remember reading about a forced turn in and a coupon for ($235?) that they would give you upon turn in.

I'll be leaving my NFA up here in Alaska, as well as two SKS-D's, and most of the rest I suppose.  I'm going to try and maintain residency in Alaska to avoid some hassles (and taxes) since I am only going to be "home in town" for a couple months a year.  However, I am wondering if I don't take up residency in CA if I am still allowed to possess firearms there?  I'm sure I can kiss off any chance at a CCW/CCH permit.
Link Posted: 12/10/2004 2:48:48 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
though in some places you can't even shoot steel core because it's a fire hazard (can someone explain this to me?)

Tracers are a fire hazard.  Since brushfires cause far more damage in California than the dreaded earthquakes, folks are a little sensitive about other folks shooting incendiary ammunition into chaparral-covered hills.

Steel can emit sparks when it hits rocks.  Ever seen a truck pulling a trailer with the sfatey chain dragging on the pavement?  Sparks flying everywhere.  Again, these sparks can set off uncontrollable brushfires when they occur in dry chaparral.

There are no state laws about ferrous bullets, but plenty of ranges ban them.  And for good reason, since it wouldn't take more than a few nanoseconds for a range to be shut down forever if a brush fire were traced back to it.  At the rate ranges are being closed in California, I say we can't be too careful.
Link Posted: 12/10/2004 3:36:39 PM EDT
[#11]
Mike, what area will you possibly be staying in?
Link Posted: 12/10/2004 4:30:47 PM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 12/10/2004 4:33:16 PM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 12/10/2004 6:06:25 PM EDT
[#14]
Steel Core (Armor Piercing) ammo ban applies only to Handgun type ammo not long guns.
Link Posted: 12/10/2004 6:10:19 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:
Mike, what area will you possibly be staying in?

Good to hear from you again Kisara, IM sent...
Link Posted: 12/10/2004 6:19:43 PM EDT
[#16]

12301. (a) The term "destructive device," as used in this chapter, shall include any of the following weapons:
(1) Any projectile containing any explosive or incendiary material or any other chemical substance, including, but not limited to, that which is commonly known as tracer or incendiary ammunition, except tracer ammunition manufactured for use in shotguns.

caag.state.ca.us/firearms/dwcl/12301.htm

That quote is taken from the official page, it is at the very top. Also, below the definitions, there is a HUGE list of things you can't do with a "destructive device" that range from buying, selling, transporting, using, having near public buildings like schools, using with intent to injure, etc. I would imagine that would mean it is basically a no-no unless you are a licesned person to own it, and if you were licensed you woulnd't need to ask because you would already know.
Link Posted: 12/11/2004 1:49:24 AM EDT
[#17]
Well I finally glanced at some of the laws referenced...

SKS's are ALL verboten! corrected below!  All SKS's had to be turned in by Jan 1, 2000 or the owner may be prosecuted (ref sec 12281).

I think I can take from my arsenal:
Ruger 10/22 w/factory 10rd mags
Mini-14 in standard stock and 10rd mags.
Plain Jane Pump Shotty (home defense)
M1 Garand or MAS 49/59 converted to .308, if I cut off the grenade launcher (don't think I'll be needed that)
1911 .45 and rimfire conversion kit (must register, though if I don't stay for more than 60 days it's unnecessary)

I've got a lot more reading to do, I might be wrong on some of the above.  Otherwise I think that will cover my basic need to send Plumbum down range in quick order.
Link Posted: 12/11/2004 3:55:07 AM EDT
[#18]
Not all SKS are banned.

If I remember right the only illegal SKSs were if they were:
1. Chinese
2. Russian
3. With detachable magazine
4. With Grenade Launcher

You can buy the Yugoslavian SKS here, and I think there was a couple others. I know it is very specific, but it's better than nothing.
Link Posted: 12/11/2004 8:02:38 AM EDT
[#19]
Link Posted: 12/11/2004 8:38:07 AM EDT
[#20]
you can have any sks that has a fixed mag of 10 rounds or less. no grenade launchers. i have both russian and chinese sks rifles. they are legal in california.
Link Posted: 12/11/2004 3:51:40 PM EDT
[#21]
My bad, when I printed the reference out it cut off the key definition...

12281 (c) Any SKS rifle in the possession of any person who, or firm, company, or corporation that, is described in subdivision (a) or (b), shall not be subject to seizure by law enforcement for violation of Section 12280 prior to January 1, 2000.

(f)(1) Any person, firm, company, or corporation that is in possession of an SKS rifle shall do one of the following on or before January 1, 2000:
(A) Relinquish the SKS rifle to the Department of Justice pursuant to subdivision (h).
(B) Relinquish the SKS rifle to a law enforcement agency pursuant to Section 12288.
(C) Dispose of the SKS rifle as permitted by Section 12285.

WHAT I MISSED (i) Notwithstanding paragraph (11) of subdivision (a) of Section 12276, an "SKS rifle" under this section means all SKS rifles commonly referred to as "SKS Sporter" versions, manufactured to accept a detachable AK-47 magazine and imported into this state and sold by a licensed gun dealer, or otherwise lawfully possessed in this state by a resident of this state who is not a licensed gun dealer, between January 1, 1992, and December 19, 1997.

So just thre removable magazine versions. Sorry bout that!

Link Posted: 12/11/2004 4:02:49 PM EDT
[#22]
Have they banned  "the clenched fist" yet? Or do you just have to register it?

That, and "a harsh word" and "the dirty look", but that might get you killed or worse by a banger....
Link Posted: 12/11/2004 4:20:14 PM EDT
[#23]
A McDonalds Shake straw and a Hi-capacity bag of peas...
Link Posted: 12/11/2004 4:39:51 PM EDT
[#24]
ha ha ha. Oh my God, you are hilarious. I would like to join in on the fun. cliche remark, cliche remark, pun, non-witty retort.

As you can see, sarcasm is alive and well here also.
Link Posted: 12/11/2004 10:20:31 PM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:
Not all SKS are banned.

If I remember right the only illegal SKSs were if they were:
1. Chinese
2. Russian
3. With detachable magazine
4. With Grenade Launcher

only 3 and 4 are correct.  Chinese and Russian SKSs are legal.
Link Posted: 12/12/2004 3:36:15 AM EDT
[#26]
I put those in because I remember hearing from someone at a shop that the Chinese and Russian ones wouldn't be sold because they were illegal to import and that is why they had to say where the rifles came from, like Yugolsavia.

I should know better than to take what I hear at shops as fact.
Link Posted: 12/12/2004 7:10:06 PM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:
No tracer or armor piercing ammo

No handgun or rifle tracer ammo.  tracer shotshells are okay.  AP rifle ammo is also okay, just no AP handgun ammo.

SKS is fine as long as it doesnt have a detachable mag.

Some of the semiauto firearms still for sale in the local gun stores;

SKS
M1 Garand
M1 Carbine
M1A
Mini-14 & 30
PCR40 & PCR9
Marlin Camp 9 & 45
Browning BAR
Rem 740/7400
Benelli M1 Super 90

Link Posted: 12/12/2004 7:38:22 PM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:
I put those in because I remember hearing from someone at a shop that the Chinese and Russian ones wouldn't be sold because they were illegal to import and that is why they had to say where the rifles came from, like Yugolsavia.

I should know better than to take what I hear at shops as fact.

It seems from conversations I've had with them, that a majority of Gun Shop FFLs are ignorant of the law. Consequently they will tell you that anything that even resembles a AW is illegal in CA. Just a couple weeks ago when my GF was doing a PPT transfer for her new Savage 300 WSM when the seller asked the "store" owner about ordering an Imbel FAL receiver for another friend he adamantly insisted that ALL FAL variants, receivers, clones, etc were illegal in CA. Even when I pointed out to him that another FFL - who I use regularly - was distributor for DSA.  After 10 minutes of explaining how one could legally own a FAL type firearm he still wasn't convinced

The "kitchen table" or "transfer" FFLS seem much better versed.
Link Posted: 12/13/2004 5:28:17 PM EDT
[#29]

Quoted:
ha ha ha. Oh my God, you are hilarious. I would like to join in on the fun. cliche remark, cliche remark, pun, non-witty retort.

As you can see, sarcasm is alive and well here also.

Yes it is, and I can. - You see in a way I am a political refugee from the PRK. I was born and raised in Glendale. At one point I worked for KABC in Hollywood. I used to collect guns, street race and enjoy life IN CA.

But I could read the writing on the wall, and it wasn't gang grafiti. My choosen lifestyle was allready restricted and the future was bleak.

I took a huge pay cut, sold off most my guns to pay for the move to Colorado and really learned how to live. Almost all the guns I sold are now either banned or the mags for them are banned.

Here I have the choice to invest in NFA firearms, and thats no joke.
Link Posted: 12/13/2004 9:46:47 PM EDT
[#30]
Umm..isn't PCR9 and PCR40 essentially an AR lower w/ a different calibur upper?? How are those legal???
Link Posted: 12/13/2004 11:07:42 PM EDT
[#31]

Quoted:
Umm..isn't PCR9 and PCR40 essentially an AR lower w/ a different calibur upper??

I may have my model number wrong.  I was thinking of the Ruger Carbines in 9mm and 40SW that use handgun mags.
Link Posted: 12/14/2004 1:29:49 PM EDT
[#32]

Quoted:
I may have my model number wrong.  I was thinking of the Ruger Carbines in 9mm and 40SW that use handgun mags.

You're not wrong, they do use handgun magazines, and they are called the PC4 and PC9.
Link Posted: 12/15/2004 6:17:45 PM EDT
[#33]

Quoted:

Quoted:

You're not wrong, they do use handgun magazines, and they are called the PC4 and PC9.

Right, he originally wrote pcR9, & pcR40... The PCR9 and PC9 are different guns.. So is the PCR40 and PC40
Link Posted: 12/15/2004 6:43:13 PM EDT
[#34]
Exactly why I stated the correct names in my post, right firearms, wrong names...
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top