Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 9/3/2004 6:20:55 PM EDT
If so, please reply this thread. Monday, September 6th, 2004. Burro Cyn Shooting Range. If there is enough interest, we can meet...and follow up with a caravan to the new World Buffet afterwards for chow.

Link Posted: 9/3/2004 8:51:12 PM EDT
[#1]
Where is burro canyon?
Link Posted: 9/3/2004 10:16:07 PM EDT
[#2]
LA area...East of Passadena, between the 605 and the 57 fwy

http://www.burrocanyon.com/contact.html

210 Fwy, exit Asusa. North on Azusa into Angeles Nat'l forest. The link above should have directions...it's about 20 minutes north after you get off of of the 210.

Link Posted: 9/4/2004 12:15:35 AM EDT
[#3]
I'll be in SoCal over the weekend, and some friends were planning on going there too.....I'll have to check on that though.

Are you a member there?

Here's one toy we played with last time, at a private range there......hard to believe such things exist in the PRK!

Too bad I dont' have any extra 9mm, .223, and .308, otherwise, I'd bring my amnestied AW bothered to register when I was behind the PRK curtain.

Right Click, and save link as.........:O

Quoted:

210 Fwy, exit Asusa. North on Azusa into Angeles Nat'l forest. The link above should have directions...it's about 20 minutes north after you get off of of the 210.

Link Posted: 9/4/2004 9:56:26 AM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
I'll be in SoCal over the weekend, and some friends were planning on going there too.....I'll have to check on that though.

Are you a member there?

Here's one toy we played with last time, at a private range there......hard to believe such things exist in the PRK!

Too bad I dont' have any extra 9mm, .223, and .308, otherwise, I'd bring my amnestied AW bothered to register when I was behind the PRK curtain.

Right Click, and save link as.........:O

Quoted:

If you are
bring em if you want... I can bring some extra ammo

Mr S:

I  am not a member, but I'll be there Monday anyway.

Any one else got the trigger finger itch?
Link Posted: 9/4/2004 10:06:42 AM EDT
[#5]
I"ll find out by Monday if we can get a range there, as some of the guys I shoot with, reserve the TAC ranges, so no one can bother us....while we waste ammo needlessly.

I'll post it up on here, and give you more info if we do.

Are you visiting from IL?
Link Posted: 9/4/2004 2:54:08 PM EDT
[#6]
Possible,any word on whether or not there might be Highway 39 closures or can you get ther by going around Glendora Mtn Rd.?  
Link Posted: 9/4/2004 6:17:16 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
I"ll find out by Monday if we can get a range there, as some of the guys I shoot with, reserve the TAC ranges, so no one can bother us....while we waste ammo needlessly.

I'll post it up on here, and give you more info if we do.

Are you visiting from IL?

Excellent...The tac range in the back is an good idea... it's secluded, shady, and is great for a group like the Socal Arfer's.  But if that is filled, we can still use the rifle range, just get up there early to sit on a few lanes.

I live in Illinois for now. I'm in B-school.

Home is Socal, but temporarily in Illinois due to school.
Link Posted: 9/4/2004 6:25:31 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
Possible,any word on whether or not there might be Highway 39 closures or can you get ther by going around Glendora Mtn Rd.?  

A buddy was up there Friday. He got there OK by going straight north on Azusa Ave...

He did report large numbers of dirt haulers and grading activity once you turn in the access road to Burro Cyn. It tends to slow the last three or four miles up to the range...but Burro Cyn is still accessible.

Link Posted: 9/5/2004 9:04:16 AM EDT
[#9]
CLICKABLE LINK TO BURRO CYN.

I might be able to make it, what time is everyone planning to arrive?  I'm in HBeach.

The parks service lists GMR as closed, and East Fork is open to the trailhead, so I don't know if you can use GMR now or not.  I was up there quite some time ago and it was open, but recent activity may have changed that.
Link Posted: 9/5/2004 10:05:39 AM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

I might be able to make it, what time is everyone planning to arrive?  I'm in HBeach.

The parks service lists GMR as closed, and East Fork is open to the trailhead, so I don't know if you can use GMR now or not.  I was up there quite some time ago and it was open, but recent activity may have changed that.

I called the office at the range and the road up (Azusa Ave) all the way up to Burro Canyon range IS OPEN.

GMR is closed, so that means you will have to take the Azusa ave route in to the range.

Since we have not heard from Mister Suzuki, I guess the tac range is out...

If you are planning to come up, please come to the right side of the rifle range. Please try to get there by 9:00 AM or thereabouts as it is a day off for people and the place might get busy and crowded.

You can bring your own target stands. Cheap, Home Depot PVC pipes and such make excellent stands. Of course the range has stands for rent also.

Bring eye and ear protection. be SAFE!

See you guys up there!

Regards,

Gil
Link Posted: 9/5/2004 10:40:41 AM EDT
[#11]
Hola Folks,

Since I"m not a member either, I'm waiting from the sole buddy, who is a member there......he's checking out AZ today.  I should know by tonight, and will post any information on what TAC ranges we would be able to  use.

The only drawback, is that the fee for the private range, is $15 each, instead of the general $10 fee for the public range.

But the one other time I"ve been there, its very nice, no one to bother anyone, self-regulated/self-appointed RO......just bring your own targets, and police our own trash, so we dont' make a mess.

But I'll let you know by tonight......otherwise, we might just be stuck at the general public range.  
Link Posted: 9/5/2004 7:30:06 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I called the office at the range and the road up (Azusa Ave) all the way up to Burro Canyon range IS OPEN.

GMR is closed, so that means you will have to take the Azusa ave route in to the range.

Since we have not heard from Mister Suzuki, I guess the tac range is out...

If you are planning to come up, please come to the right side of the rifle range. Please try to get there by 9:00 AM or thereabouts as it is a day off for people and the place might get busy and crowded.

You can bring your own target stands. Cheap, Home Depot PVC pipes and such make excellent stands. Of course the range has stands for rent also.

Bring eye and ear protection. be SAFE!

See you guys up there!

Regards,

Gil

Looks like no news on the TAC range, so I'll see you guys on the public rifle range side...

Please try to get there by 9:00 AM before the lanes fill up. Look for me, Asian guy, 5'9" blue tee shirt, blue jeans, Tan Chevy Truck baseball cap...

See you at the range!
Link Posted: 9/5/2004 8:39:34 PM EDT
[#13]
No go on the private range, BUT.....we do have it reserved for NEXT Sunday, for those that would like to go.

Anyhow, hope to see a few of you guys there.....I only brought a FAL with me, and a .45.

I'll be about 5'8, 190lbs, hispanic male, wearing shirt with "Las Vegas" on it, and Khaki cargo pants, and a baseball cap.
Link Posted: 9/5/2004 8:49:00 PM EDT
[#14]
How big is their rifle range? I checked the website but it doesn't give any info. Anyone know how long it is?
Link Posted: 9/5/2004 8:55:48 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:
How big is their rifle range? I checked the website but it doesn't give any info. Anyone know how long it is?

150 yards
Link Posted: 9/6/2004 10:49:41 PM EDT
[#16]
So how did the shoot go?  Can anyone reserve the tactical ranges?  What kind of targets can you bring?  

Cheers
Link Posted: 9/7/2004 12:28:36 AM EDT
[#17]
For me, it was a no go....couldn't persuade family to pick a day of shooting (to my benefit), versus a day at park w/jet ski's (family benefit).  

Oh well......BUT, we do have one of the TAC ranges reserved for next Sunday, if anyone's interested....its $15, and bring your own ammo/guns, but more than welcome to try some of the other guns we have.

Pretty bunch of decent guys, with a couple police officers among us......hopefully that won't scare anyone away, but lots of us have EBR's.

I'll be bringing a couple registered AW's I have from my PRK days that I still have papered, but if you have extra 7.62x39, 7.62 NATO, .223, .45, 9mm..

Since there's no RO, we name one, and just stay pretty much safe, and observe the 4 rules of gun safety, and simply waste a bunch of ammo.

Link Posted: 9/7/2004 11:15:40 AM EDT
[#18]
Pretty bunch of decent guys??

On another note... what kind of targets can you bring?  12 packs of soda, water jugs, or only paper?  And what makes it a "TAC" range?

Cheers
Link Posted: 9/7/2004 12:23:18 PM EDT
[#19]
Pretty: as in good, i.e. "pretty good shot there, Bob."  NOT, "Bob....you're looking awfully pretty lately."

Hehe......we're all pretty ugly MOFO's anyhow, but we do have some pretty looking rifles! (2nd example of "pretty").

Link Posted: 9/7/2004 12:31:08 PM EDT
[#20]
What makes it a TAC range, in that its private, away from the public/prying eyes, and we just police ourselves.

That, and during the week you can find local PD firing their NFA weapons there (SBR, SMG/MG, etc).  Its a nice range, since you can't shoot out in the desert as one could before......range can't beat Sloan, NV though.

Targets.....paper targets, and sporting clays is pretty much what we bring.....as we have a few scoped bolt-actions.  Stuff like soda cans, TV's, cars, household appliances.......better leave those at home.

That, and bring your own food....no alcohol, as guns/alcohol dont' mix, plus we have a couple officers among us, who'll probably arrest you......:)

So long as your law=abiding, aware of the 4 basic rules of firearm safety, and share (let us try your toys, and you can try ours), be somewhat outgoing and firearm enthusiast.......that's pretty much it.

Link Posted: 9/7/2004 1:39:13 PM EDT
[#21]
How do we join in?

Do we just go to the range and tell them we are part of the TAC range group?
Link Posted: 9/7/2004 1:55:21 PM EDT
[#22]
Just send me an IM, and I'll give you my local number here, and give you a call this weekend, with directions, swap numbers/email, and the TAC range area directions.

That's all......as long as you're safe.

We meet behind the cashier box on parking lot, where the public pistol range is @9:00AM.....until we know what TAC range we  have, sign in & pay $15, then move w/cars to that range, introduce ourselves, and our guns.....and just watch out for line breaks we have, and share.

Rapid fire is okay....as long as you're safe.

Be SAFE!!  That's all we ask.....and control one's muzzle, and not point it at anyone.  You'd be amazed at simple mistakes like that, even from Police Officers!

Did I mention to be safe?!  
Link Posted: 9/7/2004 4:55:01 PM EDT
[#23]
No mixing of beer and guns?  LAME!!!  
PS  Safety is TOTALLY LAME TOO!!!!  
Link Posted: 9/7/2004 7:22:47 PM EDT
[#24]
Hehe.......reminds me of a comic short  Headlines, on Jay Leno, many years ago......

A guy, who admits to drinking, was cleaning his guns, and shot himself with a .38 by accident in the foot.

He told police it wasnt' too bad and didn't hurt too much, and wanted to finish cleaning his guns, and then accidentally shot himself again, but this time with a .357.

After shooting himself a 2nd time, he told dispatchers that the 2nd time hurt, and thought he might need medical attention, as it hurt a lot more than the 38.

I haven't met any drunk gun owners yet.......:)  I'm met several drunk drivers, who I'd never want handling guns next to me....by themselves, sure, but not around me.  

Quoted:
No mixing of beer and guns?  LAME!!!  
PS  Safety is TOTALLY LAME TOO!!!!  

Link Posted: 9/10/2004 12:59:41 PM EDT
[#25]
What the heck is B school?
Been to "A" school. "C" school. Recruiting school...etc... Is that Army, Coast Guard?
Link Posted: 9/12/2004 8:22:55 AM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:
What the heck is B school?
Been to "A" school. "C" school. Recruiting school...etc... Is that Army, Coast Guard?

B School is Graduate school for my MBA. Commonly referred to as Business School as it's a Master's degree in Business Administration.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top