Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 4/4/2017 6:24:37 PM EDT
Wife wants to go to Florida again.
Last time we flew into Sarasota, loved it.

We are driving our Jeep this time.
Where to stay and stuff to do and see in Destin?
Thanks.
Link Posted: 4/5/2017 10:28:54 AM EDT
[#1]

If you're looking for nice beaches with lots to do, Destin has it. There are many resorts and activities that will keep you busy.

It's also expensive, crowded, full of tourists, and traffic SUCKS. Especially now throughout the rest of the summer.

If you don't mind, then by all means, check it out. If you'd like something a little more low key but just as nice and less crowded, I would suggest Navarre.  There are businesses out there that do the same things you'll find out in Destin, however there just aren't as many of them. There's even an Arfcommer that does boating charters over there. JD762 I believe.

As someone who lives in the area, I do my best to avoid Destin during peak season, it's just too hectic IMO.
Link Posted: 4/5/2017 10:38:40 AM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
http://quicklol.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/11/pepper-your-angus.jpg

If you're looking for nice beaches with lots to do, Destin has it. There are many resorts and activities that will keep you busy.

It's also expensive, crowded, full of tourists, and traffic SUCKS. Especially now throughout the rest of the summer.

If you don't mind, then by all means, check it out. If you'd like something a little more low key but just as nice and less crowded, I would suggest Navarre.  There are businesses out there that do the same things you'll find out in Destin, however there just aren't as many of them. There's even an Arfcommer that does boating charters over there. JD762 I believe.

As someone who lives in the area, I do my best to avoid Destin during peak season, it's just too hectic IMO.
View Quote
How far is it from Destin?
Link Posted: 4/6/2017 7:18:16 AM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:

View Quote
It's just a few miles but takes an hr to drive.  Nice beaches in Navarre.
Link Posted: 4/6/2017 10:39:55 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
http://quicklol.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/11/pepper-your-angus.jpg

View Quote
This guy nailed it.  I live across the bay from Destin.  I could kayak there from the house in a couple hours if I so desired.  But, come tourist season, which started with spring break, I can't stand the place.  Navarre is much nicer.  It's slower, has better beaches, and far fewer people.  Traffic in Destin is terrible.  It can take you a half hour or more just to travel the 6 miles from one end of town to the other.  

That said, if you've got the cash and can afford a room at the Emerald Grande or one of the hotels within walking distance of the HarborWalk, you can have a great time without driving much at all.  

As for the distance between Destin and Navarre, it's about 20 miles or 30 min without traffic.  Traffic can double that though, especially right in front of the base at Hulburt field.

I should add, if you're in to fishing at all, stop in to Half Hitch in Destin.  Talk to Tim, the big older white guy if he's around.  He'll get you all set up and help you find spots to fish or pick a charter boat.

One last edit, I just realized you can see Destin in my avatar.
Link Posted: 4/13/2017 11:01:32 AM EDT
[#5]
I would suggest staying somewhere east of Destin on 30A. (Grayton Beach, Watercolor, Seaside, Seagrove, Watersound, Rosemary Beach). It's a little pricier, but well worth the natural beauty and more of an old Florida feel. 
Link Posted: 4/24/2017 3:26:58 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
I would suggest staying somewhere east of Destin on 30A. (Grayton Beach, Watercolor, Seaside, Seagrove, Watersound, Rosemary Beach). It's a little pricier, but well worth the natural beauty and more of an old Florida feel. 
http://www.southwaltonluxuryhomes.com/wp-content/gallery/watersound-west-beach/watersound-west-beach-0060.jpg
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
http://www.southwaltonluxuryhomes.com/wp-content/gallery/watersound-west-beach/watersound-west-beach-0060.jpg
This.

Quoted:
Quoted:

It's just a few miles but takes an hr to drive.  Nice beaches in Navarre.
Also: Navarre is not an hour from Destin.
Link Posted: 4/26/2017 4:59:28 PM EDT
[#7]
Subscribing to this thread.. My wife's family finally gave us a date that they'd be in town (7/24-7/29 is when all of them will be here at once) and we are looking to rent a house in Destin for a few days. My wife said that she's been looking but, everything is booked. I'm not sure if she saying that everything in her price range or not but, I can find out and update for sure.

Is there a local rental company or suggestions of where to look for renting a house?
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top