Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 6/23/2016 8:07:20 AM EDT
FWC ruled that there would be no bear hunt this year. The hippies won.

I was really looking forward to bagging a bear this year.
Link Posted: 6/23/2016 8:26:54 AM EDT
[#1]
yeah, saw that this morning.  4-3 decision.  Will try to find out which butt head on the commission caved in.
Link Posted: 6/23/2016 9:38:03 AM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
yeah, saw that this morning.  4-3 decision.  Will try to find out which butt head on the commission caved in.
View Quote

Reminds me of NJ... when the bears start over running houses they will be pissed... The 4 that voted not for it should be sent north where they belong with the rest of the liberals
Link Posted: 6/23/2016 11:17:39 AM EDT
[#3]
If any of you have Facebook, it's entertaining (and maddening) reading the comments on these hunts from local news pages. I'd say a good 85% of the comments that are made by people are "I've lived here XYZ years and I've never seen a bear," but then you look at their location and it's like St. Pete... Tampa... Sarasota... Orlando...

If you lived somewhere that wasn't nothing but concrete and houses, you might see wildlife. Shocker.
Link Posted: 6/23/2016 3:38:14 PM EDT
[#4]
The local NPR station implied that only FWC will be allowed to take bears from now on and only those proving to be a nuisance. I'm wondering does the trapper get to keep the bear meat and skin like the 'gator trappers?
Link Posted: 6/23/2016 7:02:17 PM EDT
[#5]
They went on a full blown campaign of lies after last year. Posing pics

of small cubs and the like claiming mom was killed. Total bull shit. They also

were making death threat to hunters as well on facebook and facebook

would not take down their posts.

People that have property damaged by bears should send repair invoices to

the leaders of the anti groups.

Link Posted: 6/27/2016 8:28:23 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

Reminds me of NJ... when the bears start over running houses they will be pissed... The 4 that voted not for it should be sent north where they belong with the rest of the liberals
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yeah my neighbor had a black bear bathing in their pool a couple years back.  Tell the four jackasses they can buy my house in NJ--plenty of wild life running around.
Link Posted: 6/27/2016 9:19:47 PM EDT
[#7]
Bastards.

I hope they wake up every morning with a pile of bear shit on their doorstep and their trashcans scattered across the yard.
Link Posted: 6/28/2016 7:26:18 AM EDT
[#8]
I personally am all for NOT hunting bears in this state
I have lived in the Ocala National Forest for over 50 years & have never had any bear encounters that I didn't seek out
I also own small place near Weeki Wachi & Chassahowitzka and have never had a problem with them
Spent many an hour hiking, fishing & hunting & camping OCN, Green Swamp, Chassahowitzka areas
They are incredibly stealthy animals & just want to be left alone.
I have seen more of them be road kill than a nuisance to me or my family!
And if we as inhabitants in THEIR territory do not take the steps to ensure
they have no reason to pillage our garbage or campsites then they will not be what you call a nuisance.
What we should do is limit building any further into our wild spaces.
Maybe what we should hunt is the non-natives that have actually caused the issue by moving here!

Link Posted: 6/28/2016 9:35:02 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
I have lived in the Ocala National Forest for over 50 years & have never had any bear encounters that I didn't seek out
I also own small place near Weeki Wachi & Chassahowitzka and have never had a problem with them
Spent many an hour hiking, fishing & hunting & camping OCN, Green Swamp, Chassahowitzka areas
they have no reason to pillage our garbage or campsites then they will not be what you call a nuisance.
Maybe what we should hunt is the non-natives that have actually caused the issue by moving here!

View Quote

I've got bears in my neighborhood that just walk around.  Every house has a bear proof trash can.  As long as the allowed hunting numbers are conservation focused then fuck it, let's hunt!
Link Posted: 6/28/2016 9:53:34 AM EDT
[#10]
I think we should have a season, but I will say this. Of all the big game animals I have killed, a bear was just about the easiest. I literally shot it with a bow as it was laying down at a bait bucket. It went about 10 yards and piled up. The arrow severed its aorta.

I'm not sure how you would go about killing one without bait or dogs, however. I imagine that would be a challenge.
Link Posted: 6/28/2016 10:40:58 AM EDT
[#11]
I wish Bears ate hippies but I can't really blame them. They smell like shit.  Oh and BTW two of my friends dogs(pets) got attacked and killed by Black bears in Ocala.  They need to be thinned out.  Last edit.  It can be "their" land when they pay the fucking taxes. Until then, it's my land and I will protect it as I see fit.  I will not let my 4yro get eaten saying "Whelp, they were here first" Some people are so fucking deluded.

Link Posted: 6/28/2016 5:57:09 PM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 6/28/2016 6:54:04 PM EDT
[#13]

I say hunt the tags placed at $500 a piece sell 20 use the money to improve protected areas , roads, or to defy US sugar
Link Posted: 6/28/2016 7:32:42 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

Native Floridian with no dog in the fight as I live in the central/east side and have only seen 1 black bear in this area. I have zero inclination to hunt them.

I have no problem with taking a year off to evaluate the numbers after the last hunt. If there are plenty around, have another hunt. Maybe every other year would be a good thing?

Yes, I know I'm giving the hippies too much credit. Since they got it cancelled this year, they will be trying to keep it from ever happening again. Guess what? F-them!
View Quote

They used be hunted regularly. They stopped when the numbers got to where fish and

game stopped the hunts. The numbers rebounded and they need to reduce the population

again. They have to keep their numbers in check with the habitat. It is exactly the same

way all game is MANAGED. There are reasons that they started allowing gator hunts years

ago.

Link Posted: 6/28/2016 9:49:31 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

View Quote
I live just south of the forest and we have them everywhere. Trying to kill our chickens and shit like that.

Where around the forest do you live?

Link Posted: 6/28/2016 11:57:30 PM EDT
[#16]
I lost two $125 feeders this past season down here in Sumter county and two $125 feeders up in Jefferson county... $500 in destroyed feeders this past year... you can take a guess where I fit in...
Link Posted: 6/30/2016 5:50:40 AM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:

I live just south of the forest and we have them everywhere. Trying to kill our chickens and shit like that.

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Exactly ...I'm in that three county section by juniper.

Spent 4k in fencing...to have it damaged twice in under 30 days....why. because it was in the bears way. Nothing more.

Lately they've been kind enough to just push the gates open..so I can re bend the hinges.

Came home one day and neighbors had a juvenile on their porch. All day. Lounging out. Thier fault ..they had trash out there.

Its a joke that all the news concentrates on that weikiva area. But when your living in cookie cutter subdivisions full of implants from up north...leaving food out...I can see why.

Sqeaky wheel gets the grease.

One good thing is I bet they relocate those bears here right ...after all it's nothing but forest lol .

So I have a easy 350++++ lbr with front pads on his print that go 6-8 inches across who isn't afraid of dogs..or humans ...just wondering around....fun.

Fuck hippies.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top