Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 12/27/2013 2:43:28 PM EDT
Unfortunately, the previous owner pulled the tank off. Would have made one hell of a smoker. Oh well. Time to build my dream work truck. It's a '72 Chevy C30. I'll have full specs posted tomorrow.

Link Posted: 12/27/2013 3:44:47 PM EDT
[#1]
Title should be you bought a pickup truck.
Link Posted: 12/27/2013 3:47:04 PM EDT
[#2]
Yep you got ya a project there. Lucky for you Year One will carry almost all the parts you will need.
Link Posted: 12/27/2013 4:00:27 PM EDT
[#3]
Let the games begin!
Link Posted: 12/27/2013 4:18:51 PM EDT
[#4]
tag
Link Posted: 12/27/2013 4:28:23 PM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Well it used to be a firetruck.

Quoted:
Yep you got ya a project there. Lucky for you Year One will carry almost all the parts you will need.

Thanks, I'll check them out.

Quoted:
Let the games begin!

It runs great. Needs to be completely rewired but it's mechanically sound. First step a tetanus shot.
Link Posted: 12/27/2013 4:39:41 PM EDT
[#6]
gotta tag this
Link Posted: 12/27/2013 4:52:45 PM EDT
[#7]
If it was me I would do a real good assessment of what the body will need and at what cost. Since you have already done so with the drive chain that's out of the way. As much as you might like the truck at some point it will bring you more $$$$,00 as parts and those $ can be put into a truck that you just might like even more.
Link Posted: 12/27/2013 5:22:31 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
If it was me I would do a real good assessment of what the body will need and at what cost. Since you have already done so with the drive chain that's out of the way. As much as you might like the truck at some point it will bring you more $$$$,00 as parts and those $ can be put into a truck that you just might like even more.
View Quote

The cab is in good shape. The doors have some rust that needs to be patched. The interior is great. Floors are solid. The bench seat looks brand new. The biggest problem is the bed. It needs a floor and a lot of patching but it's salvageable.
Link Posted: 12/27/2013 5:32:05 PM EDT
[#9]
Niceeeee! I want to build a 55 F100. Hopefully I'll be able to start a project soon. Can't wait to see how this turns out
Link Posted: 12/27/2013 6:07:28 PM EDT
[#10]
Since your doing it as more of a hobby that sounds like you'll do alright with it. Hope you have a mig welder It sure would help to make the job go faster.
Link Posted: 12/27/2013 6:30:36 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

The cab is in good shape. The doors have some rust that needs to be patched. The interior is great. Floors are solid. The bench seat looks brand new. The biggest problem is the bed. It needs a floor and a lot of patching but it's salvageable.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I've got a gallon of ospho a tube of por patch and when I vist it my folks in a week I'll get dads wirefeed welder from him.
Link Posted: 12/28/2013 7:43:22 AM EDT
[#12]
Cool, does it have a PTO on the transmission?
Link Posted: 12/28/2013 2:41:52 PM EDT
[#13]
Former military and former fire fighting vehicles can be registered CHEAPLY here in Florida.  Be sure and check out the pertaining rules before registering or buying tags!
Link Posted: 12/28/2013 4:06:27 PM EDT
[#14]
Build the Fast and Furious truck

Link Posted: 12/29/2013 6:55:11 AM EDT
[#15]
Very cool Matt!

So what are your plans with it? Complete disassembly and then rebuild? Patch up and drive?

Do you have a welder? Let me know if you need wiring help!
Link Posted: 12/29/2013 3:45:54 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:

No PTO. I'm guessing the pump had it's own engine.

Quoted:
Former military and former fire fighting vehicles can be registered CHEAPLY here in Florida.  Be sure and check out the pertaining rules before registering or buying tags!

I'll have to look into that. I have all of the original paper work to prove it was a fire truck.

Meh. Too shiny. I like my trucks a little rusty around the edges.

Quoted:
Very cool Matt!

So what are your plans with it? Complete disassembly and then rebuild? Patch up and drive?

Do you have a welder? Let me know if you need wiring help!

I want to keep it original as possible. This will be a work truck. I'll fix what needs to be fixed.

I have a cheap 90amp wirefeed and access to a Miller mig welder. Yesterday, I yanked out the aftermarket radio the previous owner failed to install. The wiring was all kinds of fucked up. Couldn't help thinking about all the crap you must go though.
Link Posted: 12/29/2013 4:10:16 PM EDT
[#17]
Pulled the boxes off today. Going build a flatbed for it. The boxes will be rebuilt and mount under the bed.

A couple pics of the interior.

Link Posted: 12/29/2013 4:30:37 PM EDT
[#18]

Looks pretty solid. You are a craftsman, so I know it will be a good looking rig

when you get through with it.

Link Posted: 12/29/2013 4:58:38 PM EDT
[#19]
wow the interior is in AWESOME shape for 41 year old truck. it needs fuzzy dice.
Link Posted: 12/29/2013 5:06:52 PM EDT
[#20]
You're right, the cab and interior do look good!

What did you do with the radio? My euro-rat needs some tunes...
Link Posted: 12/29/2013 5:07:52 PM EDT
[#21]
[Jump To Reply]Quoted:

No PTO. I'm guessing the pump had it's own engine.

Probably had a Skid unit like one of These.

Wear the chassis out, yank the skip pump & tank out and stick them in a fresh truck.

Tanks have been polymer for years to reduce weight and prevent rust.

Rusty baffles letting go have been the end of many a fireman.

Nice project!
Link Posted: 12/29/2013 5:16:18 PM EDT
[#22]
that dash pad that is cracked is an $80 part.

hey call my ass next time you're gonna put some hours into that thing. i'll come over and help.
Link Posted: 12/29/2013 5:35:48 PM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:

Looks pretty solid. You are a craftsman, so I know it will be a good looking rig

View All Quotes
Quoted:

looks like a much nicer truck in those pics.  Should be a fun project, and something different to see!  Good luck

Link Posted: 12/30/2013 2:54:13 AM EDT
[#24]
What engine/trans came in it?

OK see 4 speed knob
Granny gear?
Link Posted: 12/30/2013 3:31:14 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

hey call my ass next time you're gonna put some hours into that thing. i'll come over and help.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

I got a plan to fix the original dash pad and add some class at the same time.

Quoted:
What engine/trans came in it?

OK see 4 speed knob
Granny gear?

Still need a figure a few things out. The engine is a 454. The PO claims its a marine engine. I haven't had a chance to verify it. Originally it had a 402. The transmission is a Muncie SM465.
Link Posted: 12/30/2013 3:39:51 PM EDT
[#26]
I think you can put a PTO on that tranny. It would be cool to have a hydraulic winch

and hoist on it.
Link Posted: 12/30/2013 4:18:11 PM EDT
[#27]
tilt bed baby ,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,
Link Posted: 12/30/2013 4:22:49 PM EDT
[#28]
if its an sm465, its literally a bolt on pto. take a side cover off and install the pto. You can pick them up off ebay or craigslist and they are easy to install.

sweet truck!
Link Posted: 12/30/2013 4:24:06 PM EDT
[#29]

Quoted:

if its an sm465, its literally a bolt on pto. take a side cover off and install the pto. You can pick them up off ebay or craigslist and they are easy to install.

sweet truck!
View Quote

Yep I googled it and there are all kinds of things to bolt on there. Tilt bed is a good idea to.

Link Posted: 12/30/2013 4:59:22 PM EDT
[#30]
The transmission has two PTO ports. After a quick search, a tilt bed conversion kit would run about $2000. That's with an electric pump. The PTO and PTO pump and misc. hardware would run another $600-$800. Its not in the budget right now but its nice to have options.
Link Posted: 12/31/2013 3:51:08 PM EDT
[#32]
damm this is like the plane thred from mw . checking in  lol
Link Posted: 12/31/2013 3:54:49 PM EDT
[#33]

Quoted:

The transmission has two PTO ports. After a quick search, a tilt bed conversion kit would run about $2000. That's with an electric pump. The PTO and PTO pump and misc. hardware would run another $600-$800. Its not in the budget right now but its nice to have options.
View Quote

Yep, you have plenty of options.

Link Posted: 12/31/2013 4:10:59 PM EDT
[#34]
Spent the afternoon working on the bed design. It will be 6' 4" x 10'.

Link Posted: 12/31/2013 4:51:02 PM EDT
[#35]
Looking good Matt! So you're doing away with the toolboxes alltogether?
Link Posted: 12/31/2013 5:41:05 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
Looking good Matt! So you're doing away with the toolboxes alltogether?
View Quote

I was planning to rebuild them into smaller boxes and mount them under the bed. However, they will get repurposed for another project.
Link Posted: 1/1/2014 6:19:46 AM EDT
[#37]
move your vertical stakes to the outside.
Link Posted: 1/2/2014 6:51:17 AM EDT
[#38]
COOL project there.
Im liking the steak bed idea....should look great.
Cammo paint job?
Link Posted: 1/3/2014 1:11:11 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
Cammo paint job?
View Quote

I'm thinking blaze orange with mossy oak trim.

The new wire harness is on its way. Picked up the new tail lights today. Still need to cut off the box mounts and paint the rear frame.
Link Posted: 1/24/2014 2:34:00 PM EDT
[#40]
Gonna start rewiring tomorrow.
Link Posted: 1/24/2014 2:42:12 PM EDT
[#41]
You know that it would be cool for you to take a time lapse video of your project

from start to finish.
Link Posted: 1/28/2014 9:45:48 PM EDT
[#42]
Great truck and fun project. I can't wait to see it completed!
Link Posted: 1/31/2014 7:28:00 PM EDT
[#43]
Found the thread.  Looks like a fun project.  With the wood bed, check out Alva Hardwood (Labelle area) for some Teak etc.  They have great prices on some exotic woods that would help make it last and give it some really cool character...budget providing.  My kids toy box of Brazilian Walnut is getting WAY out of hand.  

For steel accents, Jeff & I have a guy here in naples that may be worth talking to for diamond plate if you want accents to bend, cut, & weld.
Link Posted: 2/1/2014 9:26:37 AM EDT
[#44]
Teak! This ain't gonna be some show truck. This is my TEOTWAEKI truck. It will get pressure treated.
Link Posted: 2/22/2014 6:45:44 PM EDT
[#45]
okay where's the truck ?????????????
Link Posted: 2/22/2014 7:11:17 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
okay where's the truck ?????????????
View Quote

Parked in my driveway.

Haven't had much time to work on it. I need to finish wiring it so I can get started on the bed.
Link Posted: 3/15/2014 5:31:56 PM EDT
[#47]
Finally getting some free time. Tomorrow, I will finish most of the wiring. The heater and spot lights need repairs. They will not be hooked up right now. Wednesday, I will start building the bed. Funds are limited right now. So, I have decided to build an all wood bed. In a few years I will build a proper tilt bed for it.
Link Posted: 3/15/2014 5:47:52 PM EDT
[#48]
Look up upol Raptor liner, bed liner that apparatus!
Link Posted: 3/15/2014 5:55:05 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
Look up upol Raptor liner, bed liner that apparatus!
View Quote

I'm planning to do the frame this week. I may also coat the bottom half of the doors and fenders.
Link Posted: 3/17/2014 12:10:42 PM EDT
[#50]
Check out Apitong wood for the deck.  It is a little pricey but as hard as wood pecker lips
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top