Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 6/30/2008 7:50:17 PM EDT
So I guess it's my turn to start this one off. I'll do what I can, and count on others to fill in any blanks. Hopefully Neil will be around with the pictures soon.

Like the Basic Carbine class, the "Basic" in the title could be misleading if you don't have any experience with Chris and his teaching style. (I'd mention Travis, but I'm still not entirely convinced the man exists. ) Chris is the master of using the available time to best effect and adapting to the skill level of the students.

We started off shooting, which was a pleasant change from the last "Basic Pistol" course I took, where we spent the first few hours in the classroom covering the inner workings of how a pistol functions. We worked a couple of drills on the 'basics' (Grip, stance, trigger control) then started mixing it up. Increased distance, working the draw, timed drills, a little of everything.

Chris also spent a lot of time working us through failure drills. I'd never done any of the drills before, and honestly never even really thought much about them. After running through the drills a few dozen times, I feel infinitely more confident in my ability to handle whatever comes my way.

A brief diversion on that point: I think that confidence and practical knowledge are the two big things that Chris teaches. Some courses seem to focus on the Shooting, without much consideration of the what, where and why of the situation. The Magpul courses are more tactically focused. It's not so much "This is how you fire the weapon" as it is "This is what you should be doing if the SHTF."

We ended the first day with a night shoot. (Although the rain almost screwed us out of it) Chris was careful to point out that he was only really able to give us the very basics of night shooting in the time we had, but that time was definitely well spent.

Day Two was what really set this course apart from the others I've taken. After a bit of warmup and refresher, we started moving. Forwards, backwards, sideways, up, down. All the stuff that you're never going to be able to do at an indoor range.

Once we worked the movement, we started tying it all together. We worked barricades in a number of different positions. We even got to work around a car, thanks to one particularly brave student.

All in all, another great weekend. Sorry if it's a bit disjointed, I've been flying all day.

A few additional random points:
1. Gloves. I can't speak for everyone else, but I really wish I had a set of gloves. It's all well and good to say "I'm never going to fight with gloves on", but at the same time, you're not going to be running 1500+ rounds through your handgun in a gunfight.

2. Um... Yeah, ok, so only one random point.
Link Posted: 7/1/2008 9:00:57 AM EDT
[#1]
Magpul Basic handgun:

Weather: It was a mild 96 degree's with just a little relative 100 percent humidity, followed by slight afternoon showers. Overall conditions hardly noticeable

I just wanted to thank the students, you guys really picked up the classic fundamentals and we were able to move at a much faster rate. We started off concentrating on accuracy which is extremely important and then balanced that accuracy with combat effective hits and intuitive shooting which has a different threshold for every shooter. The class focused on using time wisely meaning speed up in weapon manipulation and it will allow more time behind your sights when sighted fire is required more. Wether you're fixing a double feed, stove pipe, speed reload or any other problem with your weapon system treating it with efficient and consistent movement will aid a great deal. We pushed time limits on the clock hard with this class and still expected good hits down range.

The night shoot really put even more stress on you guys because fixing a double feed or speed reloading the gun is slightly different with a handheld or weapon mounted light. As you guys saw torching your threat was just one part of shooting at night and if used incorrectly can be detrimental to your life or others by compromising your position.  

We spent a good deal working around and utilizing barricades, everyone did really well. I think everyone could see the applications of those positions we spent time conducting and why we stress manipulating our weapon system in a certain manner when I demoed clearing a double feed, speed reloading, and utilizing the urban prone position while working around a vehicle. Practicing shooting from various positions can come in handy in dynamic situations.  Thanks again for being opened minded and continually pushing your self to climb that ladder of excellence.

Sincerely,

Christopher E. Costa
Magpul Dynamics, LLC.
Director Of Training

Link Posted: 7/1/2008 12:09:42 PM EDT
[#2]
What he said. Sorry, maybe I wasn't the best choice to start it off. It was definitely one of those weekends.
Link Posted: 7/1/2008 1:17:58 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 7/1/2008 2:38:52 PM EDT
[#4]
I thought that was a very good synopsis of the class! Yes it was hot but not too bad.....he
Chris teaches a terrific course and I am truly looking forward to the Advanced Carbine class next month. Hope to see you guys there!!
Link Posted: 7/1/2008 3:30:14 PM EDT
[#5]
Well here is my AAR of the shoot and 2¢ worth.  I took the basic carbine course in March and I cannot say how much of an awesome instructor Chris is; and Travis is a real person; just as awesome as Chris.  
We started with the basics of grip and sighting in on the target.  I’ve always had an issue that I thought was eye dominance.  But I was able to quickly overcome using Chris’s method of the “rabbit sticking its head out of its hole.” with the front sight.  Hey guess what, I can shoot w/both eyes open heWe moved onto draw and fire drills 90 ° and 180 ° turns to the target.  Weather was a threat, but I’m glad that we were able to work the night shoot drills.  We covered the different types of holding a light source while holding your weapon, even if you had a light kit on your weapon.  Tools break and a light kit on your weapon can and will break as well.  So having another light source that you have to hold while shooting is important; and how to control both the light source and weapon is harder than it looks.  I cannot say how important night shooting is as my range closes at dusk I’ve rarely had the opportunity to work those skills.  The drills that Chris put’s you through is “real world” and the night shoot was great at identifying threats and friendly’s while pressure is applied.  
Day 2 started with the “cold draw”, which for me showed what my draw speed would be as if I were drawing my weapon of choice in a real word situation.  Re-cap of the 4 malfunction types, and then moving toward, away from the target.  Barricade drills were next, shooting around and through them.  After that, we worked on urban prone and shooting flat of your back as if you were just knocked down by someone or something.  Again, something that would replicate a real world situation I’ve not had the chance to do.  Then back to the barricades; this is where everything really started to come together from the 4 malfunctions, barricades, and urban prone and moving from one barricade to another.  How to move with our weapon’s drawn; again not to sweep ourselves or fellow operators.
The day before Chris and I discussed using my truck for some vehicle drills.  I thought about it over night as I reflected on the day’s activities; (I could hardly sleep anyway as I was going through everything that had learned, trying to commit it to memory.)  By the time Chris re-engaged me about using the truck; I was very confident in my fellow operators and didn’t mind him using it.  We set it up on the range and I watched him go through what he wanted to do.  I went through it myself and checked the clearances that we had and target placement; I felt very comfortable with what he had set up and we went ahead with the drills.  Chris did state that he toned down the vehicle drills as he didn’t want to risk any damage to the truck (which I appreciate very much).  Again, this is real world stuff that you can encounter every day no matter where you are; here in the US or overseas.  I would say that this was the pinnacle of the 2 day’s as I came away with so much more knowledge and understanding of how to operate in an true “oh shit” situation.  We closed with engaging multiple target’s in a “crowd” situation on the move, which was a real adrenalin rush; again to simulate a real word situation.
We policed the area, cleaned up our trash and brass then had an AAR w/Chris and the whole team.  Chris asked for positive and negative feedback on the course and I cannot say that there was any negative feedback from any of us.  Chris is a wonderful instructor and I cannot say enough good and positive things about what he, Travis; MagPul Dynamics Neal and Gun Gallery of Jacksonville are doing.  Save up your pennies and quarters and get in on these classes.  You will thank yourself in both the short term and long term for it.

Thanks again for what you do guys, and I’ll be seeing you in July for the Advance Carbine Course.  Guess what Chris?  Bryan is willing to lend me his AR, but I’m still bring my AK too hMark
AKA AK

Link Posted: 7/2/2008 9:06:20 AM EDT
[#6]
I am alive!!!......

I wish I could have made it but the world is just too damn big!
looks like a great course...but then again what else would you expect?

And Mark dont worry bud we are planning a deticated AK course hopefully in the near future..lol

Link Posted: 7/2/2008 10:24:06 AM EDT
[#7]
sounds good.  
Link Posted: 7/2/2008 6:21:08 PM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 7/3/2008 8:41:52 AM EDT
[#9]
Chris:
What is "rabbit out of the hole"?
With two eyes open I shoot an inch or two to the left at 25 feet. My problem is remembering to transition as I  go back from two eyes open with an Aimpoint to one eye with a pistol.
thx
jon
Link Posted: 7/3/2008 11:05:58 AM EDT
[#10]
When learning to shoot both eyes open, the shooter takes in allot of information for the first time. In an effort to minimize this, I have the student start at the 3 yard line (stance,grip,trigger control , etc.) I then like to spray a bright dot on the target. This also helps the shooter because they can see their front sight better because it is usually black, this will allow them a better Hard focus of their front sight. I have the student shoot the rabbit out of the hole, or front sight out of the rear notch. This will put an upward cant on the handgun, their shot groups will be slightly higher. This allows the student to work their issues out like seeing two front sights, two targets, determining which target is the ghost (non clear of the two). Once the shooters eyes adjust and they can track their front sight after numerous shots fired, and they are able to focus correctly. I will have them place the front sight back where it belongs. Then the next goal for the student is to have a very soft focus on the rear and a Hard focus on the front. At any point if the shooter loses it they need to pop the front sight back up, focus and then drop it back down and break the shot. Once the student understands what to look for they can self correct on their own.  After the student understands what to look for then at any distance they can shoot with both eyes open. Hell it's what they are going to do under the duress of gunfire so we mine as well training that way. When your confronted your eyes provided survival information to the rest of your body which is why they bug out of your head. It's just animal instinct's.

I hope this helps, please remember this is easier to demo in-front of you, vice writing it.

Sincerely,

Costa
Magpul Dynamics
Link Posted: 7/3/2008 11:56:32 AM EDT
[#11]
As everyone has said the class was great.  The combination of the carbine and now the handgun class really meshes well together. I cant wait for the Advanced Carbine and shotgun course so i can put my new purchased Benelli M4 in to use:)

Link Posted: 7/3/2008 10:02:48 PM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 7/4/2008 5:16:46 AM EDT
[#13]
Great Photos!  

Link Posted: 7/4/2008 8:37:45 AM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:
OMG! Who would do such a thing!
farm4.static.flickr.com/3148/2632002635_7c10c6e290_b.jpg

Tactical cigarette pouch! Starting today, however, I won't be needing it anymore. Wish me luck.

farm4.static.flickr.com/3038/2632831686_86b55d6f99_b.jpg

That's a pretty sweet pic. It's the magical floating magazine!

Ben and his Springfield Pro in one of my favorite pics from the weekend
farm4.static.flickr.com/3100/2632845556_237e136a57_b.jpg

Bens ammo provided for some cool pictures
farm4.static.flickr.com/3050/2632032725_46df5e333b_b.jpg

Wow. That is pretty sweet. South African PiMP ammo for the win! (PMP/Denel South African, from Wideners)

Same drill, opposite side. Hey Ben, show me your war face why doncha?
farm4.static.flickr.com/3149/2632023027_6b68314495_b.jpg
farm4.static.flickr.com/3089/2632849084_969a0916fb_b.jpg
farm4.static.flickr.com/3282/2632849608_a52130bc35_b.jpg
farm4.static.flickr.com/3051/2632025273_a258f1f438_b.jpg

No comment.

Incidentally, urban prone from behind the barricade was the only time the entire weekend I didn't shoot with both eyes open. I'm cross-eye dominant, and when I got down on my right side I couldn't get my left eye low enough, or the gun high enough, to work it.

Someone remind me to bring my camera bag to the advanced course. Loan Neil one of my speedy lenses. Faster autofocus, and more light sensitive for the night shots.
Link Posted: 7/4/2008 9:53:12 PM EDT
[#15]
Awesome... Looks like the class really progressed.  That's another thing about our classes as I'm sure a lot have seen,... Its all a performance driven class.  All students must have been "switched on" to have excelled into the Intermediate/ advance training that I see here.  Of course the Industry demands a standard of "Basic and Advanced"...which obviously is impossible to determine in a 2-3 day course or even a few of them. So it appears the shooters in this class were proficient enough with the basic fundamentals and excelled beyond the typical basic course...
Thats what we like to see.
Link Posted: 7/5/2008 8:19:08 AM EDT
[#16]
That's a cool course to take...

I like the different stages of attack with offensive and defensive positions...

Very nice work folks...
Link Posted: 7/8/2008 10:47:25 AM EDT
[#17]
Thanks Ryan,

When a class adapts to the fundamentals as fast as they did and since they were willing to try new things, it allows us to conduct different styles of drills with them.  

r,
Costa
Link Posted: 7/15/2008 3:48:02 PM EDT
[#18]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top