Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 1/30/2006 8:04:49 AM EDT
Hello guys,

Iam from gainesville i shoot alot in lake city at thier open range they have up there. Ive been to a few matchs they have had there and ive meet a few good people but it was more set on getting the best time instead of actual training and real life scenarios. More people were there to show off instead of getting some good real life training.

I was wondering if anybody that was Military / Ex Mil / or L.E.O would want to set up a shoot that will concentrate on training more then who wins or gets the best time, i think that having multiple backrounds could really help with creating some good training.
Let me know if anyone is interested.

Thanks
Link Posted: 1/30/2006 1:38:48 PM EDT
[#1]
I would be interested (former military, 11-B).  Sounds like a good time.
Link Posted: 1/30/2006 6:57:47 PM EDT
[#2]
where are you located?
Link Posted: 1/30/2006 8:47:01 PM EDT
[#3]
I am definately interested, no former Law or military, and too fat to worry about the best times, but I have a little inside info on some training and techniques with the carbine, I am in Inverness about 75 miles south of Gainsville, would like to help out any way, shoot me a PM...Mark
Link Posted: 1/31/2006 12:05:23 PM EDT
[#4]
I'm up here in Jax.
Link Posted: 1/31/2006 1:11:12 PM EDT
[#5]
Do you have access to a private range?  To do much of the things you are talking about, you would almost need one.  

If you can make this happen, let me know.  I'm in Jax.  I have police and a small military background.
Link Posted: 1/31/2006 4:40:00 PM EDT
[#6]
negative on the private range, but the range in lake city( Lake City Range Osceola National Forest Range)
where i go you can reserve for certain times on the weekend, but the best time to go is during the day on a weekday, ive gone many times and used the whole range walking running, prone etc.
just trying to put something together thats based more on tactics then just who has the fastest time.
something for once a month or whatever time if we can all fiqure something out.

Link Posted: 1/31/2006 5:28:25 PM EDT
[#7]

Iam from gainesville i shoot alot in lake city at thier open range they have up there. Ive been to a few matchs they have had there and ive meet a few good people but it was more set on getting the best time instead of actual training and real life scenarios. More people were there to show off instead of getting some good real life training.

HollowPoint40 if you're talking about FDCC, it is not "training", it's for fun.  I don't know about showoffs, but we like to have a good time.  If you want to run any COF tactically, like "real life" nobody would care.  Shoot and utilize tactics however you wish.

If you want training, find a quality instructor and get trained.  Nobody I know of will participate in a shooting match and call it training.  

Tactical Response is giving a class in February at the Bradford Sportsman's Farm if you want to get some high-quality training.  I believe Bill Jeans is scheduling another round of classes at GTRI.  Russ Adler is in Lake City and puts together classes frequently also.

Link Posted: 2/1/2006 7:25:34 AM EDT
[#8]
I dont even know what FDCC is and iam not talking about anything in perticular. Ive takin about 3 courses from Adler and iam taking another three day one this month. All i mean by what iam trying to do is make something that is based on people getting together and helpin each other out as far as thier backrounds, everyone can bring something to the table.
Link Posted: 2/1/2006 11:37:53 AM EDT
[#9]
Hollowpoint, I'm off on a lot of weekdays and would love to get with ya.  Lake City is the closest place to Jax where I can do the kinds of stuff you're talking about with rilfes.  FWIW, I have access to a range in Jax where we can do a lot of what you're talking about, but with pistols only...for now!  It's on the westside of Jax and probably a good 45 mins from the Osceola range.  I'm not sure if that's too far of a trek for you or not.  I too have taken some classes with Russ, and I am kind of assuming you mean the LEO ones.  We may have even been in one of the same classes.  I'll shoot ya a PM.

FDCC is a pretty good group, and I've participated in quite a few shoots.  Unfortunately, it does not fit my time slots well enough anymore.  
Link Posted: 2/1/2006 12:21:31 PM EDT
[#10]
In the coming months I may have access to some land that we could shoot on.  A family member just purchased 2300 acres in/outside Baldwin.  Nothing planned for the property for at least 2 years, so the possiblity may be there to improvise a range.    I was planning on talking to him about turkey season, I will mention putting in a simple berm and such (I also have a Bobcat).
Link Posted: 2/1/2006 1:24:10 PM EDT
[#11]
Sapper, that would be great.  Keep us posted.  Sapper, PM me and let me know what kind of work schedule you have.  Might as well start getting this worked out.  With me and a buddy, you, Rentpro and Hollowpoint, that makes for a nice little shooting group.
Link Posted: 2/1/2006 1:42:10 PM EDT
[#12]
very nice guys i think we could have a nice shoot, as far as my backround iam in the Army Guard now started as a Stinger in ADA and just became an M.P. I was an M.P overseas in Afghanistan/Pakistan for a year. Iam going to an infantry unit later this year so i will get that m.o.s too hopefully soon.

Iam so glad we got some people for this, and everyone can put in input so we are always aware! as russ would say lol.

whats everyone elses backround??
what kinda scenarios do we wanna start with??
Is the weekend of the 10-11-12 Feb good??
hug.gif
Link Posted: 2/1/2006 4:20:08 PM EDT
[#13]
Sounds like something that might do well. The only place I know of right off that may work with this concept is the Bradford Sportsmen Farm in Graham, Fl. I know they helped us out in Oct of last year with FDCC. They let us use a 600 yard range that is set off to one side away from the other shooting areas. After the shoot, a few of us ended up running drills extracting a VIP with a Isuzu several times, running an Australian Peel, and running a leap frog all while returning fire to an imaginary enemy at the burm. As long as everybody knows what they are doing, and no one screws up, it could make for some excellent training.
Link Posted: 2/1/2006 7:15:34 PM EDT
[#14]
bradford i trained at several times and iam going there next week with adler and associates what you are talking about sounds great and very high speed i love it!  thats a nice place i really like it, if we can use that place that would be great! we just need to make some sort of training log or something and get some good stuff down so we done get there and stand there with our di**s in our hands.

so how easy is it to use that place??
and by the way i just wanted to say iam not trying to make this so "serious" i do want it to be fun but realistic, the last shoot i was at before the buzzer went off people were sighted in on the target with mags layed out on the ground. now in real life if god forbid you came under attack overseas or terrorists here, you are not gonna have that option thats why iam doing this.
hug.gif
Link Posted: 2/2/2006 12:37:38 AM EDT
[#15]
I'll be going to the Bradford range for the first time this coming week for the Tactical Response classes.  I've heard nothing but good things about the range.  Well, that is except for their working hours.  I can never remember what they are, and such is why I've never gone there.  Oh well...

Good idea on the training log.  I've been real bad about procrastinating on keeping logs for my guns, let alone a training record.  I'll put some ideas down later, but first thing that comes to mind is teamwork/communication drills, transition drills, weak-hand/one-hand drills, and I'd like to come up with a gear up drill.  Basically, something that has you going from street clothes to battle rattle asap.  I see too many guys wearing stuff at shoots and classes that take 5 minutes to don.  Heck, just taking your rifle out of it's bag in the trunk and turning on your Aimpoint in a hurry can take some getting use to.  I think a drill incorporating gear like that would be an eye opener.  Well, just a thought anyway....

Like I said, I'm sure there will be more discussion, but one other thing to consider is targets.  I got a few that I'd like to incorporate.  Some go with certain drills.  I'll see if I can get all that stuff together in the next few days.

Link Posted: 2/2/2006 7:00:28 AM EDT
[#16]
roger that guys. sounds real good.
iam headin out this weekend for training so next week we will plan all this stuff out.
hug.gif
Link Posted: 2/2/2006 8:06:06 AM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:
I'll be going to the Bradford range for the first time this coming week for the Tactical Response classes.  I've heard nothing but good things about the range.  Well, that is except for their working hours.  I can never remember what they are, and such is why I've never gone there. Oh well...

Recorded message says the normal hours are all day Wed, Sat & Sun.  Be aware though, it's worth your time to call  before making the trip out there.  352-485-2302.  

A few weeks ago I loaded up a ton of stuff and hauled 2 newbies out for their 1st range trip.  Pistol and rifle was closed & we couldn't shoot due to a shotgun event.  

Other than that minor issue it is a great facility.
Link Posted: 2/2/2006 9:10:21 AM EDT
[#18]
Hollowpoint
Understand exactly what you are saying.
Some times at FDCC we have COFs that are more practical than others. Some times they are more geared towards marksmanship.
the underlying factor is TIME. We have a limited amount and usually MANY people.
Everyone needs to get a chance.
No one has ever been told to run a course FASTer than they are comfortable but when a timer comes out .... you know the rest.

The two obvious metrics for performance are accuracy (hits) and time. Hits being equal, time wins. Assuming the evolution was performed correctly by both parties.

You are correct though it's not Drilling, it's not repeating an exercise or a movement untill you or your group knows it by heart. That would be nice.
But we have many different skill levels and some months that would not be practical.
I know Neil and the boys did not do the Australian Peel with just anyone..

It sounds like you have a good idea, I would be interested, but I think my calendar is full right now, unless you want to move it to the Tallahassee area ;-)

Nigel

Link Posted: 2/2/2006 9:38:53 AM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:

I know Neil and the boys did not do the Australian Peel with just anyone..

That is for sure. In fact I think I was the least qualified there that day. A former Seal soon to be contractor was the one in charge.
Link Posted: 2/3/2006 5:23:39 PM EDT
[#20]
Link Posted: 2/3/2006 7:31:26 PM EDT
[#21]
I shot a couple three gun matches in various places and used them as a training exercise. Although it was pure sport and speed over tactics of any kind for the shooters. My SSS III retention holster and body armor looked as out of place to them as their hot pink pistol frames and custom little red battle wagons overloaded with gear looked to me.

The guys in my group knew what I was doing as I sliced the pie and used cover when available while they ran out in the middle and blasted everything as fast as possible.  I got a lot of pentalies for various "errors" having to do with my order of engagement or number of shots. But I had a blast and maximized the event to further my skills. Didn't do all that bad in the scores either.

I'd be happy to get involved and I'm in G'ville as well and shoot Lake City all the time mostly during the weekdays as schedules change and I've missed more FDCC shoots than I've been to in the past few years.  About the only thing I can offer is my charming personallity and a truck don't have any land to shoot on.  

I have a checkered past and LE background.
Link Posted: 2/4/2006 3:52:42 PM EDT
[#22]
I have a buddy I shoot with regularly.  We have been trying to get a shooting group together for a while now.  At a minimum, we would like a list of names of interested parties, so that on any given range day, we can get at least 4 or 5 guys to actually show up.  We will also be trying to coordinate training classes.  Classes will be a blast if we can go as groups, or even get a private training session.

I'm not trying to step on Hollowpoints toes, but this idea or something very similar WILL be going forward.  We may fall flat on our faces, but we are going to give it a try.   More to follow...
Link Posted: 2/5/2006 11:29:28 PM EDT
[#23]
Email the following to [email protected] (hollowpoint) and  [email protected] (neeglick)

Name (First and Last):  

Rank (If any, either LEO or Military)

City or Region:  

Contact Number:  

Email address:  

Background (Specify Active or Reserve Army, Navy, Air Force, Marines, Coast Guard; Police-Local, Fed, State, etc; Contractor; Other-briefly explain)

"Tactical" classes? (Yes or No):

Medical training? (Yes or No; Looking for something better than First Responder; If Yes, Please specify your rating/experience):  

Available for Weekday Meeting? (Yes or No):  

What Kind of Practice/Drills Are You Interested In?  (Specify Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun, Empty Hand, Fieldcraft/Camping)

Interested in Attending Training Classes?  (Yes or No):

Lets make this happen! hug.gif
Link Posted: 2/6/2006 3:45:46 PM EDT
[#24]
Guys,
 We have been talking about this stuff, and here'e what we're looking at.  The questionnaire thing is not to be nosey.  We are going to put together a list of potential shooting buddies.  We hope to organize a meeting once a month to practice some skills.  We are not going to be "training".  I am saying "practice" instead of "train" because I don't want anyone to expect that they will be taught valuable skills here.  This is not to say you might not learn something by accident , and hopefully we'll all learn something new; but for true "training"...we are leaving that to the experts.

What's new about this idea?  Nothing really.  Some of us would just like to practice certain skills and don't feel that IDPA and FDCC type matches are meeting that need.  Nothing against shooting matches, it just fits a different niche.

Once we have a functional list, we plan to send a copy of the list to all those involved.  The idea here is that  if you want to practice or do some shooting more than once a month, or can't make the meeting, then you have a list of like-minded individuals that you can contact for whatever you have in mind.  For example, me and a friend are already shooting every week or two at Gateway in Jax.  This once a month meet, will supplement our practice at Gateway.  Folks will be able to contact us and get in on the shooting at Gateway just by a quick phone call.

Just to go over some of the questions...

Name (First and Last):
Rank (If any, either LEO or Military)
City or Region:
Contact Number:
Email address:
--We are asking for certain information here, but you are not submitting a resume.    .  If you don't want to give the information we asking, then unfortunately, I don't think you'll be added.  This is big boy stuff.  We want people we can count on and trust.   This will hopefully weed out some of the kids, airsofters and such.  You don't have to give us your SSN or physical address, but we do want to know who you are.  

Background (Specify Active or Reserve Army, Navy, Air Force, Marines, Coast Guard; Police-Local, Fed, State, etc; Contractor; Other-briefly explain)
"Tactical" classes? (Yes or No):
Medical training? (Yes or No; Looking for something better than First Responder; If Yes, Please specify your rating/experience):
--We want to know everyone's background so that we can see who can bring what to the table.  Army does things differently than Navy, and such.  Also, looking to see if we can find some go-to guys for any first aid problems that might arise.  We will abide by the four basic safety rules, but still, accidents can happen.  Better to be prepared!

Available for Weekday Meeting? (Yes or No):
--Right now, a weekday at Osceola looks like our best place and time.  If someone steps up and offers some private land, then by all means, we'll take it.  Getting private land will also open the door for more weekend work.  Outside of reserving a range, I think weekends are too crowded to do what we want to.  We can cater the shooting to personal needs and range availability, but I'm thinking 3-4 hours of shooting will be typical.

What Kind of Practice/Drills Are You Interested In? (Specify Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun, Empty Hand, Fieldcraft/Camping)
--Let us know some basic idea as to what you want to get out of this class.  If you don't have a rifle or shotgun and only want to do pistol work, then let us know.  If someone goes to the list for a pistol shooting buddy, you might be perfect.  Got some new gear you want to show off or practice with?  This would be great time to do it also.  Backpacking, Hiking and Camping interest will be addressed too!

Interested in Attending Training Classes? (Yes or No):
--Finally, if we can get a good group together, some of us already have good contacts to maybe get a training class hosted by a reputable instructor or firm.  We are currently looking into some NRA certifications.

One last thing that I'd like to add to the questions is Age.  Please give us your age...birthday is not required.

Any other questions, please ask here or email us.  Nothing is going to hurt our feelings.  Critiques are a great thing, in fact, it's something I plan to implement in our shooting trips!

More to follow...
Stephen
Link Posted: 2/6/2006 7:36:55 PM EDT
[#25]
Once again our emails are

[email protected]
[email protected]

contact us for any information, iam starting up a text file now full of names and everything else.

hug.gif
Link Posted: 2/9/2006 1:16:30 PM EDT
[#26]
Incoming Emails
Link Posted: 2/9/2006 2:50:45 PM EDT
[#27]
Got ya Inspector...errr, Deputy Gadget.  
Link Posted: 2/9/2006 3:01:00 PM EDT
[#28]
Roger also recieved it.
Link Posted: 2/17/2006 12:32:45 PM EDT
[#29]
We are working on planning a first meet.  Bumpin' this to see if we have any more interested parties.
Link Posted: 2/23/2006 8:45:30 PM EDT
[#30]
Hello again,

Our first meet will be Monday the 27th at 1200 hours.
Email for range and directions.

Any more interested parties besides the ones that contacted us need to email before monday about coming.    [email protected]       [email protected]
We do this so we can plan for everyone and make it better.

We dont do backround checks but would like to know where you come from and what you know in the email, we arent trying to be prics, but this is not for anyone with grandpas hunting rifle, we want trained people out there which is always alot of fun.

With that said thanks again for everyone who helped me with this and hopefully we will see you at the range.

Out hug.gif
Link Posted: 2/27/2006 5:43:41 PM EDT
[#31]
Well guys we had our first shoot today and it was great, alot of good things were accomplished.

We ran through multiple scenarios and popped off a good amount of rounds.

Everything from transitions to cover fire was covered, starting with the basics.

It was a great time.

Hope to see some more out next time.

Out hug.gif

Link Posted: 3/1/2006 6:00:00 PM EDT
[#32]
Worked a 12 and got off at 0730 couldn't get up in time. I'll try next time. Glad you got some trigger time.
Link Posted: 3/2/2006 7:44:49 AM EDT
[#33]
Hey gadget...  We're working up the next date now.  Hope you can make it next time.  The more heads we have there, the more we're going to get out of it!
Link Posted: 3/2/2006 6:31:56 PM EDT
[#34]
Roger that.

We are planning our next shoot on March 27th Monday 1200 Hours
We pick mondays so we have more access to the range, we will also be reserving it.

Anyone interested that we have already talked to or not talked to, email us and let us know.

[email protected]
[email protected]
Link Posted: 3/24/2006 6:34:23 AM EDT
[#35]
Monday 27th 1500 hours next shoot
Link Posted: 3/25/2006 8:47:23 PM EDT
[#36]
Update.... 1500 is the time for 27 March (Monday).
Link Posted: 4/6/2006 12:52:50 PM EDT
[#37]
April's shoot will be listed soon.
Link Posted: 4/7/2006 4:02:21 PM EDT
[#38]
Due to time conflicts the next shoot date will be 01MAY06 at 1000 hours.

Emails have gone out on what we will cover this shoot, let us know if you want to add anything!

Contact me for any details.

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top