Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 8/15/2014 5:41:40 PM EDT
Saw a pretty clean sar8 at a local gunshop. Greek receiver, military style fixed stock. $900. Is that a fair deal? Any worry about being a kit gun? Thanks guys.

Sorry for the crappy iPhone pics. From some research I've done, the handguard looks like a namibian type, but someone correct me if I'm wrong. Butstock is marked 4/79 FMP. I'm bout to strip it down and clean it.
Link Posted: 8/15/2014 8:03:21 PM EDT
[#1]
If it is the Greek receiver then that is a steal.It should say Hellenic Arms/EBO on it.They were made on HK equipment by HK trained techs for Springfield Armory.They were originally labeled SAR3.When the '89 import ban hit those that were in the process of being imported were overstamped from SAR3 to SAR8.These SAR8's were neutered to comply with the laws concerning importation of foreign assault rifles--thumbhole stocks,no flash hiders.Most people changed out the the thumbhole stock to a real HK stock as soon as they got them.Along with adding a true flash hider.

Later Springfield stopped all importation and began using receivers made by Federal Arms.These are aluminum and are pure junk.They are also labeled SAR8 but they will not have Hellenic Arms or EBO stamped on them.You can also easily identify these Federal Arms receivers by the rail that is built into them.Run from these.They are so dangerous that for years Springfield would give you a credit towards a M1A if you would send your Federal Arms SAR8 back to them.

I have one of the EBO marked overstamped SAR8's.Fit/finish/weld are all as good as my real HK91--which it should be since they were made on HK tooling by HK trained techs.Jump on it for $900.It's probably worth at least $1500-$1600.

Link Posted: 8/15/2014 8:08:24 PM EDT
[#2]
Built on HK Tooling in Greece. I had one until about a year ago. It was flawless. About as close to HK as you can get. If it's in good shape, scoop it up.
Link Posted: 8/15/2014 8:10:08 PM EDT
[#3]
YOU KNOW YOU WANT IT.
Link Posted: 8/15/2014 10:08:08 PM EDT
[#4]
They are great guns. I have a converted Greek SAR-8. Mine had a dummy flash hider pressed on to the end of the barrel and no threads. M60joe can graft the threads and splines into your original barrel for a fairly low price (it was 4-5 years ago and I can't recall the cost). Mine shoots exceptionally well. $900 is a steel if it's a Greek made gun.
Link Posted: 8/15/2014 10:09:35 PM EDT
[#5]
Oh I want it guys!!! If I remember correctly it said EBO Greece on the left side of the mag well and had a flash hider/muzzle devise of some sorts. from what i could tell now from the google interwebs, it seemed to have the factory fore-end and after market fixed military stock on it. I forgot all about the over stamp and to check for it, but I'm pretty sure it was a an 8 stamped cleanly. Do you guys think there is a profit to be made? I don't really have $8-900 to be tied up in another gun/caliber, but might could swing it if a profit could be made. I'd of course shoot it a bit though! Thanks again guys!
Link Posted: 8/16/2014 1:48:51 PM EDT
[#6]
If you don't want it PM me their contact details and I'll buy it You could make a few hundred profit on it.
Link Posted: 8/16/2014 2:23:02 PM EDT
[#7]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
If you don't want it PM me their contact details and I'll buy it You could make a few hundred profit on it.
View Quote

Exactly.
Link Posted: 8/16/2014 2:57:45 PM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 8/16/2014 3:37:46 PM EDT
[#9]
Ok guys, I drove the 45 minutes again today to look at it. Sar8, no 3/8 stamp, EBO Greece, crinkle black fixed stock, fake flash hider. Really clean rifle, doesn't seem to be shot much. $900. Gonna prolly put it on lawaway. I'm eating lunch now thinking it over.
Link Posted: 8/16/2014 3:44:59 PM EDT
[#10]
Full Greek SAR8's(no over stamp) are a little less sought after, but, still a great rifle. Still a $1200 rifle.
Link Posted: 8/16/2014 4:20:47 PM EDT
[#11]
Thanks guys. Gonna go put it on layaway. It's seems to be a good deal on an very well made g3 type rifle.
Link Posted: 8/16/2014 6:36:05 PM EDT
[#12]
Good move.You'll have the equivalent of a HK91 at half the cost.Out of curiosity....

1.Was the finish parkerized like on a M1A mag?That's the way my overstamp is.Others I have seen were parkerized also,not the black enamel paint seen on factory 91/93 series  rifles.

2.Is the muzzle brake screwed on or is it pressed on so that the end of the barrel is even with the end of the muzzle break?
Link Posted: 8/16/2014 7:26:07 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Good move.You'll have the equivalent of a HK91 at half the cost.Out of curiosity....

1.Was the finish parkerized like on a M1A mag?That's the way my overstamp is.Others I have seen were parkerized also,not the black enamel paint seen on factory 91/93 series  rifles.

2.Is the muzzle brake screwed on or is it pressed on so that the end of the barrel is even with the end of the muzzle break?
View Quote

You know bud, it seemed like it was a painted finish. Seemed kinda slick and smooth, not quite as porous like my parked 1911, etc. I've been researching the fake fh on these rifles for the past hour. I'm pretty sure mine is pressed on, pinned and welded. Barrel went all the way to the end of the device.
Link Posted: 8/16/2014 8:21:51 PM EDT
[#14]
Thanks for the reply.You got a steal at $900.
Link Posted: 8/16/2014 9:55:36 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Thanks for the reply.You got a steal at $900.
View Quote

Thank you sir. I feel like it was finally my turn to get a good deal on something! My friend picked up a colt socom with a knights rail for $800 awhile back and my dad is always finding good deals on boats, bikes, and fishing reels! My time had to come!
Link Posted: 8/20/2014 2:30:35 PM EDT
[#16]
Keep it and shoot it. They are great rifles. Get the muzzle device corrected. They are a hoot to shoot!
Link Posted: 8/20/2014 8:13:05 PM EDT
[#17]
I just got a EBO SAR8 for $1200
Link Posted: 8/21/2014 1:00:18 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
View Quote

Wow, now I feel extra good! I've been going over the 922r stuff today, and the gun might not be compliant as it sits in the safe at the gun shop. Its seems like even when i buy a ptr stock, grip, and slim hand guard, I'm still gonna need to swap a few parts. If I swap out the charging handle,trigger housing, sear, and hammer I should be good...
Link Posted: 9/6/2014 12:01:07 AM EDT
[#19]
Update in op
Link Posted: 9/6/2014 5:11:56 AM EDT
[#20]
Congrats,You did good.
Link Posted: 9/6/2014 9:22:23 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

Wow, now I feel extra good! I've been going over the 922r stuff today, and the gun might not be compliant as it sits in the safe at the gun shop. Its seems like even when i buy a ptr stock, grip, and slim hand guard, I'm still gonna need to swap a few parts. If I swap out the charging handle,trigger housing, sear, and hammer I should be good...
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Possession of a noncompliant 922r isn't illegal, assembly is. Leave it in the condition you purchased it, you'll be fine.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top