Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 5/10/2016 10:46:32 PM EDT
i bought this new during the clinton ban and from some limited research i think i may have a gen 1 gem

what do i have
whats it worth?

i will remove the foregrip tomorrow to see if i have a Steyr barrel or not...i know i have seen parts marked Steyr on it, but at a glance i dont see any now

it never had a carry handle...this seems unusual as i cant find pics of any w/o....i know it wasnt removed since i bought new and my brother bought an identical gun.....i am pretty sure it was the carbine version

Link Posted: 5/10/2016 10:57:09 PM EDT
[#1]
$600.00
Link Posted: 5/11/2016 1:18:42 AM EDT
[#2]
That receiver would bring $600.

The barrel chop/muzzle brake negates a little imho.
Prob a good $1300
Link Posted: 5/11/2016 6:40:40 AM EDT
[#3]
You should get a complete DSA Paratrooper lower and stock to bolt onto her from time to time
Link Posted: 5/11/2016 8:21:26 AM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

Prob a good $1300
View Quote

the short barrel is factory....just checking if you know that?

Link Posted: 5/11/2016 8:45:06 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Prob a good $1300

Is the barrel  21"? Is the brake permanently soldered?
If your telling me that it is a 18" factory uncut Steyr barrel and the brake is NOT soldered,
then it would be worth a little more.
Link Posted: 5/11/2016 9:10:37 AM EDT
[#6]
how do i tell if the break is soldered?....ill look at it

ill also take the shroud off and see if its steyr
Link Posted: 5/11/2016 9:17:52 AM EDT
[#7]
no marks on barrel, break appears to be soldered on...there is no break point where it could be threaded off the barrel...its permanently attached

i was so hoping to see Steyr on the barrel!!!!

so $1,300 is the value? not planning on selling....just curious.....

barrel is not chopped....it is the way it came from DSA

Link Posted: 5/11/2016 9:25:46 AM EDT
[#8]
I'm not saying you chopped it.
DSA cut down and threaded barrels.
Plus or minus on the value and the market.
Market is down now, but $1300 is a fair average imho.
The early Grayslake receiver is worth $600,
but with that early, great parts kit installed there is no reason to part it out.
Great gun!!
Link Posted: 5/11/2016 9:29:47 AM EDT
[#9]
i see the word chopped and assume someone is thinking of a customized barrel

glad to see its held its value from what i paid......anytime i can cash out for pretty much what i paid and have enjoyed a gun for a lifetime is a good day!

thanks
Link Posted: 5/12/2016 4:54:04 PM EDT
[#10]
Not  sure about the value. However that brake is probably integrated with the barrel (DSA made a number of rifles like that during the ban era). Some were threaded and silver soldered and others the brake is machined along with the barrel.
Link Posted: 5/12/2016 6:56:58 PM EDT
[#11]
I think that was the soldered brake
Link Posted: 5/13/2016 10:24:03 AM EDT
[#12]
My buddy just payed $950 on gunbroker for a similar ban era gun with a fake shortened G1 "flashider" that's actually a brake. 16.25" DSA barrel and brake.
Link Posted: 5/13/2016 10:34:17 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Not  sure about the value. However that brake is probably integrated with the barrel (DSA made a number of rifles like that during the ban era). Some were threaded and silver soldered and others the brake is machined along with the barrel.
View Quote

Not the integral brake. I had an integral brake gun, great brake, really took the recoil down but you'd blow the earpro off anyone next to you!
Link Posted: 5/13/2016 11:29:44 AM EDT
[#14]
i have one of those brakes laying around in the parts box. for the period that they were made they were supposed to be solder on there. As in AWB time frame.
Link Posted: 5/13/2016 11:41:08 AM EDT
[#15]
there is no split on the muzzle break...it will not unthread...could be soldered, but its parkerized over it if it is...or its made onto the barrel....either way its not designed to unthread

i was happy to hear $1300....not so happy to hear $900.....but at least i know the truth is somewhere in that range....and i dont plan on selling anyways.....so it may be good news for my kids in 30 years

Link Posted: 5/13/2016 1:11:30 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
there is no split on the muzzle break...it will not unthread...could be soldered, but its parkerized over it if it is...or its made onto the barrel....either way its not designed to unthread

i was happy to hear $1300....not so happy to hear $900.....but at least i know the truth is somewhere in that range....and i dont plan on selling anyways.....so it may be good news for my kids in 30 years

View Quote

Frankly, I was suprised my friend got his rifle for under $1100. He was watching a couple auctions. I told him that the fixed brake gun would sell cheaper than the other two auctions he texted me but I told him not to go over $1150 as he had to pay shipping and FFL and we could have found something local for cheaper. The glut of 7.62 AR rifles in the market combined with the lower weight, ease of maintenance has put a hurt on FAL demand. I am hoping I can score some good deals on mags soon because of it.
Link Posted: 5/13/2016 7:46:11 PM EDT
[#17]
I think it would be worth it in the long run to get the muzzle device removed and the barrel threaded, assuming there is enough length to not have to solder something else on.
Link Posted: 5/14/2016 1:18:19 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
I think it would be worth it in the long run to get the muzzle device removed and the barrel threaded, assuming there is enough length to not have to solder something else on.
View Quote

FALfiles used to have a tutorial up on removing soldered on brakes without torching them. Involved cutting the brake though.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top