Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 11/2/2015 9:11:17 AM EDT
As the title states, should be part number 080-800-101WB on their site. Is it better than the one on FALtools.com?
Link Posted: 11/4/2015 9:55:46 AM EDT
[#1]
I can't say it's better not having used the Brownells one but the one Ratas Caliente on Falfiles was solid.  

I bought mine used with a bag of pin gages, headspace gages, and a die and die wrench for not a lot of money.
Link Posted: 11/4/2015 11:59:54 AM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I can't say it's better not having used the Brownells one but the one Ratas Caliente on Falfiles was solid.  

I bought mine used with a bag of pin gages, headspace gages, and a die and die wrench for not a lot of money.
View Quote

The reviews I've been able to dig up have been largely negative but they are from 10+ years ago, I'm not sure if anything has changed. I had my hopes up with it since I'm wanting to build an M1A one day and rebarrel my EnfieldSMLE/m1carbine. All of which have heads for this wrench. I'll have to see if I can find a cheaper one on the EE or falfiles or take the gut punch and buy the faltools.com wrench.

If anybody has an FAL action wrench they are wanting to get rid of I'd be happy to take it off  your hands!
Link Posted: 11/5/2015 2:25:01 AM EDT
[#3]
I use a Brownells FAL action wrench.  It works fine on receivers which are close to spec, but it didn't fit as nicely on a Coonan; still successfully barreled it, though.  Just be sure to reverse the charging handle and slide it into the charging handle slot to prevent the wrench from collapsing the tiny grooves.
Link Posted: 11/7/2015 9:51:08 AM EDT
[#4]
Ratas Caliente is who you seek on falfiles, all of my stuff has come from him and worked excellent.  I have his timing rods, barrel vice and receiver wrench.
Link Posted: 11/7/2015 11:01:55 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Ratas Caliente is who you seek on falfiles, all of my stuff has come from him and worked excellent.  I have his timing rods, barrel vice and receiver wrench.
View Quote

I'll have to contact him thanks!
Link Posted: 11/8/2015 9:56:07 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I see your in Kansas, where about.  There are several builders in Kansas that might be able to help especially if just doing one kit.  If doing multiple then buying the equipment makes sense.  I'm close to Salina and Abilene.
Link Posted: 11/9/2015 12:20:59 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

I see your in Kansas, where about.  There are several builders in Kansas that might be able to help especially if just doing one kit.  If doing multiple then buying the equipment makes sense.  I'm close to Salina and Abilene.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I'm way out in western Kansas, Stanton County to be exact. For now I am just putting together one rifle but in the near future I plan to do an Israeli HB and maybe a G1. I've got a mechanical mind so putting these things together is worth it even if I'm just doing one. I know it sounds weird but it got boring just buying the guns, feels rewarding to actually say I put it together.
Link Posted: 11/9/2015 1:42:25 PM EDT
[#8]
Once you get the tools and do one, then you start cruising gun broker and fal files marketplace for additional kits.  It becomes a addiction.  I did 6 kits last winter and already have 2 more to do this winter, just a warning for you.
Link Posted: 11/9/2015 3:27:48 PM EDT
[#9]
He's lost now.

first is one, then you got to do an Imbel, then a G1, and in no time you're crossing the aisle and doing the L1A1 side of the house.
Link Posted: 11/10/2015 12:23:40 AM EDT
[#10]
I'm afraid you guys are right! My old ladies dad is the same way. I started out doing AR's, now I'm on to FAL's and one day I hope to do M1A's and AK's. I can't get enough!
Link Posted: 11/10/2015 8:32:55 PM EDT
[#11]
Buy the dvd from gunplumber.  I got my pin gauges from brad at gunthings.com and you will also need the tool to remove the extractor and a set of go, no-go gauges.  Then you will be well set up.  This winter I might try some home made parkerizing, it's funny how hobbies branch out.
Link Posted: 11/11/2015 1:06:02 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Buy the dvd from gunplumber.  I got my pin gauges from brad at gunthings.com and you will also need the tool to remove the extractor and a set of go, no-go gauges.  Then you will be well set up.  This winter I might try some home made parkerizing, it's funny how hobbies branch out.
View Quote

I bought the DVD from The American Gunsmithing Institute and got it in today, I seen gunplumbers DVD after I had ordered it. Am I worse off with the AGI dvd? I also have a set of headspace gauges and the gas nut wrench but still need to pick up pin gauges, stock tool and the extractor tool.

Parkerizing would be interesting to learn for sure. This hobby is getting exponentially more expensive by the day ha ha!
Link Posted: 11/11/2015 2:15:39 PM EDT
[#13]
I've never seen the AGI video so I can't comment on it's quality.  I totally forgot the stock tool and I'd also add the little wrench that you use on the gas tube and to change your gas setting with.
Link Posted: 11/11/2015 9:34:07 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
I've never seen the AGI video so I can't comment on it's quality.  I totally forgot the stock tool and I'd also add the little wrench that you use on the gas tube and to change your gas setting with.
View Quote

I watched it last night and I didn't think it was bad, I actually learned a thing or two about what can go where on inch and metric and converting Israeli barrels to work on certain receivers, etc. I was disappointed that when they were doing the rifle build they didn't physically show how to time the barrel. For a video claiming to be an "armorers" course and for a first timer like me that would be nice, although the info is out there and I have a good idea how to do it a video is worth way more to me.

I've got the wrench that removes the rear gas nut. Changing the gas setting? Isn't that done by hand with the end plug or the gas collar on the front of the rifle?
Link Posted: 11/12/2015 6:03:00 PM EDT
[#15]
Yes changing gas setting is done by turning gas collar, also called gas regulator.  Sometimes they can easily be turned by hand but often they don't so easily spin and you use that little wrench that you also use to turn the gas tube nut.  Almost all of my dsa rifles I can spin by hand but some of my imbel kits I need  the wrench.  The important thing is you have the wrench you'll figure it all out as you put a kit together.

The end plug generally has a grenade setting and a A setting, it's not used to set your gas just to shut off the gas if launching a grenade or regular setting for shooting and to take it out to remove gas piston.
Link Posted: 11/12/2015 10:09:34 PM EDT
[#16]
Ok I just didn't account for the collar being stiff in some cases, I thought maybe there was something I was missing there.
Link Posted: 11/13/2015 6:28:26 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

View Quote

This has been my experience.
Link Posted: 11/25/2015 11:01:03 PM EDT
[#18]
I got my DSA type 2 receiver in yesterday and I plan to order the barrel vise/action wrench tools from Ratas Caliente on falfiles. Do you have any pointers for the 1st time builder, especially in achieving proper barrel timing?

The DSA 18" bbl times to about the 10:45/11:00 position on the "golden triangle" area on the receiver, referring to the method gunplumber on falfiles uses.
Link Posted: 11/26/2015 11:17:41 AM EDT
[#19]
Fal builds are the most satisfactory of all the builds I've done, AKs suck, never again. ARs are boring now.
Link Posted: 11/26/2015 3:41:00 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
Fal builds are the most satisfactory of all the builds I've done, AKs suck, never again. ARs are boring now.
View Quote

I'm enjoying it so far, I'll agree with the AR sentiment. I'm really looking forward to putting together an M1A one of these days and an AK74. what's so bad about AKs?
Link Posted: 11/26/2015 4:54:56 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

I'm enjoying it so far, I'll agree with the AR sentiment. I'm really looking forward to putting together an M1A one of these days and an AK74. what's so bad about AKs?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

The rivets with the press, not a fan.
Link Posted: 11/29/2015 1:08:05 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Nothing wrong with AK building. Just take your time and pay attention as you go. They don't fall together like AR builds do and take a bit more attention to detail to get right but it's not that hard. A quality set of building tools will go a long way in preventing aggravation. Examine the rivets on a factory made rifle and don't go overboard when setting the rivets and you'll be fine.
Link Posted: 11/29/2015 5:31:41 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
I got my DSA type 2 receiver in yesterday and I plan to order the barrel vise/action wrench tools from Ratas Caliente on falfiles. Do you have any pointers for the 1st time builder, especially in achieving proper barrel timing?

The DSA 18" bbl times to about the 10:45/11:00 position on the "golden triangle" area on the receiver, referring to the method gunplumber on falfiles uses.
View Quote

If it hand times to that or with a light pressure of ratchet  then you should be good to crank it down with breaker bar or 3/4 ratchet to the 12 position. Did you get timing rods to line up the front sight with the receiver.  I used that to be as exact as possible.
Link Posted: 12/2/2015 1:03:59 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

If it hand times to that or with a light pressure of ratchet  then you should be good to crank it down with breaker bar or 3/4 ratchet to the 12 position. Did you get timing rods to line up the front sight with the receiver.  I used that to be as exact as possible.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yes when I order the barrel vise/action wrench I plan to get the timing rods as well. From looking at it perhaps using the rear sight or even the gas nut hole on the receiver could be another way to double check timing. Along with proper gas system operation and maybe the extractor claw cutout on the barrel function with the bolt.

One thing I have noticed on the DSA barrel is that looking down the barrel the notch at the top of the barrel used to estimate timing doesn't seem to be in be in line with the gas block/front sight housing. Is this normal/cause for concern? I suppose I'll find out for sure when I go to barrel it and the hand guards or gas nut won't fit anyhow.
Link Posted: 12/2/2015 3:22:48 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

I bought the DVD from The American Gunsmithing Institute and got it in today, I seen gunplumbers DVD after I had ordered it. Am I worse off with the AGI dvd? I also have a set of headspace gauges and the gas nut wrench but still need to pick up pin gauges, stock tool and the extractor tool.

Parkerizing would be interesting to learn for sure. This hobby is getting exponentially more expensive by the day ha ha!
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

The gunplumber DVD and workbook is probably the best $65 you'll spend on the FAL addiction.
It is far better IMO than the AGI viddy.
Link Posted: 12/4/2015 8:19:48 PM EDT
[#26]
I've never done a dsa barrel but I would think the flat should match the gas block.  Hopefully it's just a optical illusion.  I'd ask on the falfiles if your a member, a very experienced group of builders over there.  I'm sure gunplumber could tell you for sure on that.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top