Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 11/20/2015 6:33:08 PM EDT
Running some numbers, got the itch to order another M1 in Jan, if I wait until March I can swing 2 field grades. Wondering just how rough the "typical" example is. My service grade is almost as nice as the specials I see people posting(with a GI barrel reading nearly new wear numbers), I think this time around I want something with a bit of wear.
Link Posted: 11/20/2015 6:48:35 PM EDT
[#1]
You cannot go by what someone else posts pics of. I have personally handle many hundreds of Field Grades and the range from worn out rifles that need the barrel replaced with cracked stock/handguards with rust to rifles that makes you wonder why they werent graded as Service Grades.
Its all luck of the draw and there is no trend to what "is shipping  lately"
Link Posted: 11/20/2015 7:00:12 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
You cannot go by what someone else posts pics of. I have personally handle many hundreds of Field Grades and the range from worn out rifles that need the barrel replaced with cracked stock/handguards with rust to rifles that makes you wonder why they werent graded as Service Grades.
View Quote

I think there were trends while the Danish and Greek returns were being processed and it's back to predictable rifle conditions as determined by US armorers.  You have to know the standards the US armorers were using to know what to expect.  I think one new trend is a service grade barrel with sub par wood is now getting a new CMP stock and some rack grades are getting rebuilt with new park, wood and barrel so maybe there is another trend of rack grades not being as bad.  I think they have figured out WW2 stuff is worth money so they may be swapping a bit to keep the parts in circulation.
Link Posted: 11/20/2015 7:11:17 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:

I think there were trends while the Danish and Greek returns were being processed and it's back to predictable rifle conditions as determined by US armorers.  You have to know the standards the US armorers were using to know what to expect.  I think one new trend is a service grade barrel with sub par wood is now getting a new CMP stock and some rack grades are getting rebuilt with new park, wood and barrel so maybe there is another trend of rack grades not being as bad.  I think they have figured out WW2 stuff is worth money so they may be swapping a bit to keep the parts in circulation.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

US Armorers? Not sure what you mean but all CMP rifles were and are graded at Anniston in the US.
The OP was asking about Field Grades, I have personally seen many   gage up to a 7 on the muzzle. This was Danish And Greek returns. Its still luck of the draw . Read the grade description and expect to get exactly that
Link Posted: 11/20/2015 8:11:17 PM EDT
[#4]
Thanks for the tips, I was assuming there was an "average" for what to expect, guess not. Maybe I'll just get another service grade, haven't seen one that I'd have been disappointed with. That, and one service instead of 2 fields leaves a lot of ammo money.
Link Posted: 11/20/2015 11:51:15 PM EDT
[#5]
Spend the extra $$$ on the service grade...eliminates a lot of the "luck of the draw".
Link Posted: 11/21/2015 2:38:17 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Thanks for the tips, I was assuming there was an "average" for what to expect, guess not. Maybe I'll just get another service grade, haven't seen one that I'd have been disappointed with. That, and one service instead of 2 fields leaves a lot of ammo money.
View Quote

The service grades currently shipping have been very nice...
Link Posted: 11/21/2015 3:45:06 PM EDT
[#7]
Ten or so years ago, they had people volunteering at the CMP to unbox, inspect and sort rifles and these were USGI rifles that had never been lent out or anything like that.  If you watched the reports on the various forums, volunteers would post the trend of uncrated rifle conditions and time your orders accordingly.  Doing just that, I received two pristine 1965 rebuilds that looked like they came right from the factory with barrels that were basically new and a barreled receiver that was the same.
Link Posted: 11/21/2015 11:59:44 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I was thrilled with this one, based on what people have mentioned receiving on the CMP forum the SG rifles are pretty consistent like this-MW1+, TE2. Would have liked a GI stock but with the condition of the parts I can't complain. That, and it's a great shooter. If I order another one I'm leaning towards doing this again, think I'll pass on field grade if there's no real average.
" />
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top