Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 5/10/2009 11:09:54 AM EDT
I did a search and found two topics but nobody had any experience with them. So since then has anyone tried them? I know 44mag has the cmi mags for $22 a pop and everyone says they work well but the AIM surplus Korean mags are $15 each. So if I can I'd like to save the cash and invest it into extra mags

Thanks in advance,
Drew
Link Posted: 5/10/2009 11:20:47 AM EDT
[#1]
See Different's last LRB update:

"M14 fan that the Korean magazines he just received from AIM Surplus are not welded on the front side. Hopefully, the two Korean magazines being sent to me for T & E will arrive soon and I'll post some photos."

CMI are USGI and known to be a quality mag for $22 from a good known dealer.  Why go cheap for $8 savings?  If you want a .308 platform with dirt cheap mags go with the PTR-91.
Link Posted: 5/10/2009 6:30:50 PM EDT
[#2]
I'd hold out until the Korean Mags can develope a reputation, good or bad. CMI's are a real bargain in quality.
Link Posted: 5/11/2009 3:19:44 PM EDT
[#3]
I got 4 of these mags scheduled to be delivered tomorrow. I will post some comparison pics then.
Link Posted: 5/11/2009 3:22:06 PM EDT
[#4]
tag
Link Posted: 5/11/2009 3:54:15 PM EDT
[#5]
the chinese M14 mags are good, are they importable into the USofA?

otherwise the older Korean M14 mags were alright, no idea on the newer ones
Link Posted: 5/12/2009 5:01:23 PM EDT
[#6]
Received my 4ea mags today. Came wrapped in a manila color wrapper. Open the wrapper and the mag was loose with no vapor barrier paper. Upon removal of the mag, I immediately noticed the front spine had 10 stipple marks in place of traditional spot welds as seen in a true USGI mag. I do not know if these "stipple" mark are actually some sort of new spot weld or not?

Closer inspection showed the floorplate marked "HNR" and no other marking on the body. Rear lock tap had the same weld pattern as a USGI CMI mag I was using as a comparison. I proceeded to disassemble the mag with no unusual effort using a loose .308 round to remove the floor plate. Spring and follower came out with relative ease. I noticed a slight light grease or petrolatum coating what seemed like a dark blue CS spring. The spring had the standard 8 left turning coils as a USGI mag but the spacing was slightly shorter when compared to the USGI mag. No tooling marks noted on spring. Follower leg attachment had three stipple marks of the same style as the front mag body seam and appeared well attached.

Follower, spring and floorplate readily interchanged between the Korean mag and the CMI mag. The Korean "HNR" mag easily loaded 20 round and locked into both of my SA Inc. rifles and my Norinco M14. All 20 round stripped and ejected when hand cycled. Of course final range testing is needed.

Below are the measurements I have take both the Korean "HNR" mag and my control USGI CMI mag.

Korea (HNR)           CMI
Body thickness:     0.032"                    0.032"

Floorplate              0.032"                    0.032"

Spring diameter      0.063"                    0.062"

Interim conclusion:

Mag seems to be relatively well built compared to other commercial USGI mags that have come in the past. The jury is out in my opinion on the front seam and follower stipple business. Only true way to check the stipple attachment is to do a "peel test" where you chisel the seam and the surrounding material gives around the attach area with the stipple/spot weld still staying attached. I am not ready to do that as of yet. With the mags current market being within $5-$8 of new USGI CMI mags, I am on the fence leaning slightly to buying more USGI CMI mags as the value of the Korean (HNR) mag are not 100% proven to me as of yet. If anything, they should make great range mags. IMHO. the price point on these mags need to drop back a couple of $$.

Now to the pics.
HI_RES

HI_RES

HI_RES

HI_RES

HI_RES

HI_RES

HI_RES

HI_RES

HI_RES

HI_RES

HI_RES

Link Posted: 5/12/2009 7:46:19 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

I would say that they are about even, the Korean mag looks good enough to run. Yes they are importable I have one, it's blued and not parked; aside from a weak bluing job it runs fine.
Link Posted: 5/12/2009 8:22:33 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Quoted:

I would say that they are about even, the Korean mag looks good enough to run. Yes they are importable I have one, it's blued and not parked; aside from a weak bluing job it runs fine.

I think you're referring tyo the Taiwanese Type 57 mags. The PRC M14 Mags that came in with the Poly Tech's and Norinco's were parked and as good as USGI Mags. None of those have been imported to the U.S. since the early 90's.
Link Posted: 5/12/2009 9:00:36 PM EDT
[#9]
I needed some 10 round mags for my Precision M14 EBR, and right now the Korean Mags seem to be the only option at a good deal, so I picked up 5 10-rounders (along with 8 of their Korean AK mags).

Just like everyone said, the mags are parked but there are no spot welds on the front.  Just a bunch of dots.  But I don't they will come loose so all is good.  As far as how the function?  I only tested one, about 40 rounds total and everyone round shot and cycled properly.  The bolt also stayed open on the last shot.  I would test the other 4, but I don't want to take them out of the wrapper.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top