Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 12/18/2004 8:20:43 AM EDT
I wanted to do a 21st Century M1A. Here's the result.

M1A Standard (2001 production)

NIGHTFORCE 2.5-10X24 (FC-2 Reticle) w/  NIGHTFORCE NF1125 rings and Butler Creek caps
CJ Weapons STRIKER-14 Tactical Rail System
Versa-Pod  
OTAL
Surefire 952 w/ clicker switch
Rooster Riser
Rooster Op Rod Spring Guide
Spectre Gear CST sling

Yes, it's configued for a Southpaw.

Next on the hit list, a classic M1A in Walnut. The above "new school" is nice, but "old school" is just as good for different reasons.

Thanks for looking.

Hep

Link Posted: 12/18/2004 8:30:27 AM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 12/18/2004 8:34:37 AM EDT
[#2]
now that is what i call a rifle
I have been thinking about a 308 for some time now but still unsure
im looking into an M1a with the sage setup but this looks like a good setup too
what cheek rest is that
Link Posted: 12/18/2004 8:35:19 AM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 12/18/2004 9:07:09 AM EDT
[#4]
hepcat85, may I post your photos above on my web site photo gallery?  My web site is dedicated to the M14/M1A.  It is www.imageseek.com/m1a
Link Posted: 12/18/2004 2:39:39 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:

what cheek rest is that

Rooster33

He sells a few other M1A products. I also have his op rod spring guide, CNC machined from 410 Stainless Steel stock. A real beautiful piece of work...

Link Posted: 12/18/2004 2:41:43 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
Looks HEAVY

Didn't notice with the 1.5 inch webbing of the Specter sling.

It weighs in at 13 lbs, give or take.

I've worn it at the range without much notice, but I'm not a tiny man...

Link Posted: 12/18/2004 2:43:54 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
hepcat85, may I post your photos above on my web site photo gallery?  My web site is dedicated to the M14/M1A.  It is www.imageseek.com/m1a

Sure. Thanks for asking, and thanks for chosing my weapon for your site.
Link Posted: 12/18/2004 2:48:29 PM EDT
[#8]
Damned nice rifle!

I need to put some sort of long rail system on mine, to get ready for the Aimpoint/Eotech 3x modules that will soon be coming out. The Striker-14 was near the top of my list, since unlike the KAC, it extends all the way back. Easy installation?

I figured my other options were a Troy or SAGE, but I am not to fond of those goofy cheekpieces.
Link Posted: 12/18/2004 3:47:55 PM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 12/18/2004 3:53:48 PM EDT
[#10]
Very nice rifle.
Link Posted: 12/18/2004 4:36:14 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
Damned nice rifle!

home.wideopenwest.com/~bobb/m1a.jpg

I need to put some sort of long rail system on mine, to get ready for the Aimpoint/Eotech 3x modules that will soon be coming out. The Striker-14 was near the top of my list, since unlike the KAC, it extends all the way back. Easy installation?

I figured my other options were a Troy or SAGE, but I am not to fond of those goofy cheekpieces.

Nice rifle Tomislav...awesome camo job.

Yes. Easy install. You just field strip, pop off the handguard and the unit goes on real easy. It uses the stripper clip guide as the rear attachment point, which I thought was a great design feature. You slide a screw anchor into place, no pin needed. A nut on the left side and a screw secured barrel clamp on the front.

I went for the STRIKER for the same reason you mentioned, it goes all of the way back.  
Link Posted: 12/18/2004 4:38:01 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:
Tomislav, honestly man, your rifle looks damn near perfect to me, I wouldn't change anything other than possibly putting a Smith Vortex on it and a Specter Gear sling.

+1

Guess you'll need to get another M1A to trick out....
Link Posted: 12/18/2004 4:51:56 PM EDT
[#13]
hepcat85's photos are posted at www.imageseek.com/m1a Thank you!
Link Posted: 12/18/2004 6:40:50 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

Quoted:
Tomislav, honestly man, your rifle looks damn near perfect to me, I wouldn't change anything other than possibly putting a Smith Vortex on it and a Specter Gear sling.

+1

Guess you'll need to get another M1A to trick out....

Gosh what do you mean? I thought I could just buy one rifle and be happy!

I do want a Vortex, thanks for reminding me! I have a Specter sling for it (well, CQB Solutions), but I prefer the Turner AWS. I am pretty happy with the Smith scope mount, but not enough real-estate on there for both the Aimpoint and the 3x. (And my Elcans don't fit on there. Only other scope is a SS10X, but I am looking to put that on a 'budget sniper' bolt  gun)

The camo job is from Whamo-Camo. He does great work, at reasonable prices.

I see Sparrowhawk has some gee-whiz stock of his own, it looks like....Hrmmm. And sometimes crazy thoughts of getting a stock from here cross my mind...

I need to win the lottery!
Link Posted: 12/18/2004 6:48:55 PM EDT
[#15]
Link Posted: 12/18/2004 6:50:27 PM EDT
[#16]
no bayo.
Link Posted: 12/18/2004 6:51:17 PM EDT
[#17]
That’s one beautiful rifle. You should be proud of your work on it
Link Posted: 12/18/2004 7:00:04 PM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:
Not to get too far off the subject of hepcat's cool rig, but who's cheek rest are you using Tomislav?

You're not Croatian btw are you?

A) Blackhawk cheekpad. Not a bad pad for the price, though the Eagle pad is pretty good too. Not much to choose from between those two, IMO. I had the Rooster33 cheekrest on there, but I didn't care for the need for tools to adjust. From my understanding, the new version is manually adjustable, so I may try that again.

ETA: Doh! hepcat85 has the new style on his rifle it looks like....

Which reminds me, I gotta a Rooster33 bolt stop/release....

B) Well, I am American, but my parents were born in Croatia (then Yugoslavia). Tomislav is my middle name, and makes a convenient user name, as there just ain't many of us out there (on the English-speaking forums!)

P.S.

hepcat85, how do you like the Nightforce? Is is bright enough, in your opinion?
Link Posted: 12/18/2004 7:02:39 PM EDT
[#19]
Why not use much lower scope rings so you don't have to jack up the cheek piece
Link Posted: 12/18/2004 10:07:42 PM EDT
[#20]
Hep, nice rig!  Some time next year I hope to have one built on a LRB forged receiver.  I have a Krieger USMC sniper barrel and I traded for a new TRW bolt.  Next on the search list is an op-rod and trigger group.  Right now, I am pretty happy with my '83 vintage SA M1A.
Link Posted: 12/18/2004 10:30:13 PM EDT
[#21]
Great job. it looks really nice.
Link Posted: 12/19/2004 6:36:45 AM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:
Why not use much lower scope rings so you don't have to jack up the cheek piece

I was going to do exactly that i_b. The Nightforce scope came with the rings which I had planned to part out on the EE and then turn around and pick up a set of lower ARMS rings. But after mounting it, I liked it. Odds are I'm going to eventualy switch to the lower set of rings, but right now I don't mind so much. The adjustable comb also works great with an EoTech. Overall, the ability to raise or lower (all the way down even) the height is great.
Link Posted: 12/19/2004 7:08:36 AM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:
Hep, nice rig!  Some time next year I hope to have one built on a LRB forged receiver.   I have a Krieger USMC sniper barrel and I traded for a new TRW bolt.  Next on the search list is an op-rod and trigger group.  Right now, I am pretty happy with my '83 vintage SA M1A.

"Grraachh"

Raptor22 always knows how to do it right!
Link Posted: 12/19/2004 7:49:00 AM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:

P.S.

hepcat85, how do you like the Nightforce? Is is bright enough, in your opinion?

I believe it's bright enough. But that very question spawned a thread a few months back. I couldn't find it, but here is the gist:

When I first used my NightForce I thought the FC-2 reticle reminded me very much of the CQ/T's reticle. Both are very clean and simple.

I called Nightforce to ask what the origin was of the FC-2. They said (I forget the fellows name at the moment) that it was a request from NSW to design a reticle "for a varity of applications, from medium range to CQB." At the time I thought the CQB statement made sense for the 1-4 power, but the 2.5 to 10? So I posted the question out here and I and a few other members experimented with the 2.5-10 (set at 2.5) and the reticle brightness turned to max. I couldn't help but notice (as did some others) that they must have been thinking of Trijicon's BAC!
However it was thought by some that in that application the reticle wasn't bright enough. However, one poster (was it phrkshw?) tried keeping the front cap on, and viola! Bright enough outdoors. I also noticed that BAC does work indoors where I believe it would matter most.  

Sorry to drift off topic, but I thought it was worth sharing.
Link Posted: 12/20/2004 3:08:07 PM EDT
[#25]
Absolutely KICK ASS!
Link Posted: 12/20/2004 5:26:44 PM EDT
[#26]
OK, You dirty landlubbers I need a link/ phone number - anything for that tactical rail system! I've been waiting for this for a while however I've had zero time to surf on over to this side of the website.

belay my last, i found it
Link Posted: 12/20/2004 7:56:30 PM EDT
[#27]
I like M14's. Yours looks great. I just think it's over done.
Link Posted: 12/22/2004 4:58:27 PM EDT
[#28]
I love what you've done to your M1A!  hat
I'm sure there are many "older" shooters who disagree but that's okay to.  home,

Flame Suit On!  h=85%

"Flame, the Flaming Flamer from Flamesville"
Link Posted: 12/22/2004 7:48:11 PM EDT
[#29]
Nice looking, but even if you're bigger, the weight would wear on you after awhile.  I guess you have to heft it before you bash it though!  Very nice job!!!
Link Posted: 12/23/2004 8:54:37 PM EDT
[#30]
I just wanted to thank you chaps for all the kind words, it's very much appreciated.

Merry Christmas!

Hep
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top