Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 11/4/2015 9:49:43 PM EDT
Finished this build several months ago.  Picked up 13 aftermarket straight 20 rounders on gunbroker and replaced the internals with ruger springs and followers.  Have been very reliable so far.

Before (Gunbroker auction image):

After:

Link Posted: 11/4/2015 10:03:49 PM EDT
[#1]
I like it OP!
Link Posted: 11/4/2015 10:18:41 PM EDT
[#2]
That's the way the Mini should have been from the start.
Link Posted: 11/4/2015 10:30:31 PM EDT
[#3]
Holy hell, want!

Where do you get all the parts for the conversion?

I agree this is how they should look from the factory.
Link Posted: 11/4/2015 10:30:43 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
View Quote

This.

If they looked like that I might actually own one.
Link Posted: 11/4/2015 10:53:29 PM EDT
[#5]
Beeeautiful! Awesome job, OP.
Link Posted: 11/4/2015 11:19:35 PM EDT
[#6]
Well done op!
Link Posted: 11/5/2015 9:44:03 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Holy hell, want!

Where do you get all the parts for the conversion?

I agree this is how they should look from the factory.
View Quote

I purchased most of the parts from here.

Tech Sights Mini 14 Model RR200 ( Only for Mini 14s manufactured before 2005)
Choate M-14 Look-a-like Flash Hider (For 9/16" Dia barrels - 181 Series)
Accu-strut Socom (http://www.accu-strut.com/)
M16A1 Buttpad (heavily modified)
Fiberglass M14 Handguard (heavily modified)
M14 Front Sling Plate and Screws
I cant remember which Rear Sling Swivel I used.  It was a wood screw end one from Numrich.
USSR Stain from the cmp forums (here)
Straight Aftermarket magazines from gunbroker.com (not manufactured anymore that I could find)
Citri Strip for stripping the stock

Conversion Steps:

• Cut off pressed on blade sight with a dremel and drilled a slot in the barrel for the Choate flash hider roll pin.  Install flash hider and cut off front sling mount.

• Saw off the contour at the back of the stock for new buttpad and strip finish with Citri Strip.

• Refinished with USSR stain and applied boiled linseed oil several times.

• Drilled dummy vent hole at the front of the stock as well as holes for the M14 Front Sling Mount.

• Install Socom Accu-strut with provided instructions.

• Install Tech Sights with provided instructions.

• Drill out rivet on factory handguard retention clip and save.  Cut down M14 Handguard and drill hole for screw that will secure the factory handguard clip to the handguard.  I drilled through the third ringed slot from the front and installed screw.  JB weld was used to anchor screw and shaped to look like the barrel band from a M14.  

• Filled in back handguard ringed slot with JB weld.  Used high temp brown paint for the handguard, and black paint for the fake barrel band.

• Used drill press to drill a hole through the safety selector.

• Cut down m16A1 buttpad and ground to fit the profile of the Ruger stock.  

• The hinge door screw slot was reversed to provide a second drill hole, the trap door functions, but there is no cleaning storage space in the stock .  I also modified the old curved Ruger buttpad to fill the slot in the top of the stock.  JB weld the two buttpad pieces (Ruger factory one and M16A1 together).  

• Fill gap between buttpad and stock with black gasket sealer material.

• Painted buttpad black.

The handguard and buttpad modifications are by far the most time intensive for this conversion.
Link Posted: 11/17/2015 4:16:05 PM EDT
[#8]
Love it.   I am a big M14 fan.  
If Ruger would build this they would get more of my business, priced accordingly of course...
Link Posted: 11/19/2015 2:13:28 AM EDT
[#9]
If you ever decide to sell it, OP.....let me have first crack at it! I have an M1A set up in BHD style and want a Mini-14 and Mini-30 set up in the same way.
Link Posted: 11/21/2015 1:25:32 AM EDT
[#10]
Very nice. Let us know how she shoots.
Link Posted: 11/21/2015 1:57:31 AM EDT
[#11]
guess I need a mini now....
Link Posted: 11/21/2015 2:44:13 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
I like it OP!
View Quote

Link Posted: 11/26/2015 3:28:50 PM EDT
[#13]
OST, I wonder if I can do something similar with my Mini-30
Link Posted: 11/26/2015 4:38:23 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:
OST, I wonder if I can do something similar with my Mini-30
View Quote
I got this new 583 Series Ranch Rifle last March and immediately set it up like this. Changes include:  SOCOM Accu-Strut, Choate HG (painted brown), Tech Sight Mini200 rear sight, Wilson 1911 Buffers, .040" gas bushing & 30 in/lb torqued gas block, light polish of the sears, 'lightened' safety lever, and M1 Carbine sling.  I've got slightly over 1,000rds through it so far and it shoots right at 1½ MOA at 100 yds with my handloaded 62grn ammo, plenty accurate enough to take out bowling pins at 200yds with iron sights.
I'm not sold on any front sight/flashhider yet as the blades are too
thick (over .075" vs the .062" NM front sight on my M1A) and the flashhiders are 3", the same length my M1A's which I
think makes it too long for the scaled down Mini's size.  Choate's sight/FH combo seems too short, however, its growing on me so it might end up on it one day. And sense I got it, my ARs have pretty much sat in the Arms Room alone and unused. Both this Ranch Rifle and my M1A are by far my favorite semi-autos and both see a lot of range time.

Link Posted: 11/26/2015 5:32:40 PM EDT
[#15]
Well done! I like the little touches like the safety... very M1a!
Link Posted: 11/26/2015 5:40:05 PM EDT
[#16]
Very nice job!
Link Posted: 11/26/2015 5:51:28 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
View Quote

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top