Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 8/23/2014 8:32:25 PM EDT
I'm in the market for a Mini 14 with a wooden stock and a blued barrel. Which "series" do I want to buy. I hear the latest are the most accurate. Which would that be? Any other advise or comments you folks have would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

T.J.
Link Posted: 8/23/2014 9:49:50 PM EDT
[#1]
Any of the ones with barrel that tapers from the gas block forward.

Serial ranges from 580-xxx up.

There were some early 580-series guns which had the older, thinner barrels, but as long as you keep a lookout for that taper right in front of the gas block, you'll be GTG.

~ETA~ The first ones I remember that all came with the heavier barrels were the Mini 14 NRA Editions, which was back in 2008? So pretty much anything newer than that will be good.
Link Posted: 8/23/2014 10:04:32 PM EDT
[#2]
I appreciate the info. What about if i were to go with a Mini 30?
Link Posted: 8/24/2014 2:36:16 AM EDT
[#3]
Same applys. I'd go so far as to say get the 582 series. They went with a heavier, fluted firing pin that hopefully solves the issue the earlier versions have with steel case ammo and hard primers.
Link Posted: 8/24/2014 2:58:23 AM EDT
[#4]
The None series are actually pretty good.
Link Posted: 8/30/2014 8:41:57 AM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I appreciate the info. What about if i were to go with a Mini 30?
View Quote

Same deal.  Try to get a tactical model in whatever you choose, then swap out stocks.
Link Posted: 9/1/2014 8:38:42 AM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Same applys. I'd go so far as to say get the 582 series. They went with a heavier, fluted firing pin that hopefully solves the issue the earlier versions have with steel case ammo and hard primers.
View Quote

Can this firing pin be retro fitted into an old Mini-30?
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top