Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 10/23/2016 12:22:10 PM EDT
I have a Bushmaster 556/223 with an adjustable  stock that I would like to put a reg. stock on.  My question is with the buffer tube being a commercial style tube can I replace it with a Mil-spec buffer tube and spring without having to do a lot of changes.  Never done this before, so before I make a move I wanted to make sure this could be done without problems.  Thanks in advance to all who reply.
Link Posted: 10/23/2016 4:56:20 PM EDT
[#1]
By "regular" stock do you mean a fixed a2 rifle style stock? If that's the case you'll need a new buffer tube, spring and buffer. Best to just buy a complete stock kit that includes everything.
This kit shows everything that you need.  http://palmettostatearmory.com/a2-rifle-stock-kit.html
I think bushmaster may have used locktite on their buffer tubes at some point, so watch out for that, otherwise just get your castle nut backed off, unscrew the tube, watching out for the take down pin detent spring and the buffer retainer. Screw in the the rifle tube and put on the rifle stock with appropriate spacer and screw and install the rifle buffer and spring.
If you mean you want to install a mil spec telescoping stock, like m4 stock, then all you need is the mil spec tube and stock, all other parts are the same.
Link Posted: 10/23/2016 7:43:30 PM EDT
[#2]
Sorry, yes I did mean for an A2 style stock that is Mil-Spec. Thank you for the information, it was very helpful and what I was wanting to know.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top