Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 5/14/2016 2:46:56 PM EDT
A couple of weeks ago, I asked for reviews on Choate's Tactical Stock. No one had anything bad to say so I went ahead with the purchase.  I also picked up a PT&G bottom metal and a MDTTAC AICS poly mag.

Here is the rifle, in tupperware, pre fitting. It has a blind mag stock and an aftermarket bbl.

The Choate stock seems nicely made, albeit the grip is quite large. I will have to do some sanding on the right side . The LOP is about 13", where the Savage is at 14". This will be remedied when I get into modifying the stock.

So, the first sorts was to see if we needed any inletting, for the bottom metal. The good news is that the PT&G bottom metal will fit the Choate cutout. However, the bottom metal's uppermost portion has too much metal. It will not rest far enough into the stock's magazine inlet. This is due to Choate's aluminum "core" embeded in the stock. If one was so inclined, they could do some milling to the stocks magwell area. Im just not sure how much of the aluminum is there and wouldn't want to weaken the stock.

Here is the PT&G bottom metal, before being molested.

This is how much material I had to remove.

No big deal, just some aluminum

The bottom metal drops right in and lines up nicely. Unfortunately, the front action screw is about 8 threads into the lug area. I have a choice: cut 8 threads off the screw (about.3") or make a spacer for the bottom metal's screw cavity. I make a spacer. Its .375"OD x .32"L with a .25" clearance hole.

Everything bolts up nicely now. Mag slides in and comes out with little effort, not drop free.

The only issue I see is that the barrel is not centered in the stock's channel. It is favoring the right side by .125". I loosened everything up, but it all fits perfectly, misaligned. I planning to remove about 5" of the stock's forend and fit an integral silencer so, for me, this will not be an issue.

It looks like I'll be able to get a 1.375", over barrel, tube to fit inside the barrel channel. This should work nicely.

I have some parts to get 3D printed and fitted to the stock so, if anyone is interested, I'll keep this thread going.

Update 6/16/16

As you can see in the below picture, my plan was to shorten the forend of the stock (approx 5") and create an adjustable butt. The blue parts, on the buttstock, are the prototype pieces as I have made some revisions that will be reflected in the next print.

Fully extended, the LOP will be about 14", about 1/2" more than the Savage factory.
Retracting the stock will decrease OAL by about 3.75", for the prototype. The next build will be more like 3.5".
The final build will include a fully integral suppressor. The bbl will be shortened (to around 9-1/2") and employ 60* cone baffles (just waiting for the stamp to be approved).
The bipod shown is 9"H, the final build will have a 6" version.
The magazine has also been modified to accept the appropriate cartridge.

Update 8/18/16

Final build pieces for buttstock fitted. Spare scope thrown on for some pics.
Extended

Collapsed

The tube, over the barrel, is just for a mock-up of the final Form 1 integral suppressor. Just waiting on stamp to arrive.
I will update at that point.
Link Posted: 5/14/2016 6:17:40 PM EDT
[#1]
with the action screw being too long, i just grind or hacksaw to length, no problem there. good luck on your project.

Bruce
Link Posted: 6/16/2016 9:59:29 AM EDT
[#2]
Update in OP
Link Posted: 8/18/2016 3:27:12 PM EDT
[#3]
Update in OP
Link Posted: 8/22/2016 10:52:27 AM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
with the action screw being too long, i just grind or hacksaw to length, no problem there. good luck on your project.

Bruce
View Quote

Years ago I replaced my stock with a Choate John Plaster stock, and it came with a shorter screw.  Problem was the new screw was almost too short (barely enough thread  to engage action.  In retrospect I should've shortened the original screw.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top