Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 2/27/2014 7:45:17 PM EDT
I got my CT9 yesterday (26FEB13) and shot 150 round through it.  I was very happy with how it performed but I bought this gun to extensively mod.  SBR paperwork will be Eformed tomorrow.
(Some of the pictures rotated oddly and I can’t seem to fix them.  I think it has something to do with my phone.)
Minutes after unboxing and on the range.

Very first 3 rounds on factory unadjusted sights.  Shooting supported off the box it came in from 25 yards.

Took some measurements and started cutting.

I cut the left side near the bolt hold to allow room for the charging handle to move completely forward.

Then I used a dremel sanding drum to round it off.  I also marked two holds on either side to drill out later with my drill press for the forearm bolt.

I used a file and filed off some material from the top two pilars to allow room for uzi mags to fit.  It worked great but still needs some work.

Here the bolt hold open catch is working but will need to be modified.  I am not 100% sure I will be able to get the hold open to work.  We will have to see.

Still a lot of work left to do.  A folding stock is in the mail, Eotech should be on the way soon, magazine well still needs more work, uzi mags need modifying, and some plast
Link Posted: 2/27/2014 8:36:40 PM EDT
[#1]
Hats off to you. Heavy balls to start chopping on a new rifle with only 150 rounds down the pipe.  Any idea on how long it is for SBR approvals these days?  Looking forward to watching your progress.
Link Posted: 2/27/2014 9:15:59 PM EDT
[#2]
This is an awesoem start. I wish you the best of luck and I will fallow your progress with anticipation.
Link Posted: 2/28/2014 9:15:17 AM EDT
[#3]
Can't wait to see how it looks with the folding stock! There is just nothing you can do with that stock to make it look right!  Looking good so far though with the mods.  Any concerns that it will chamber correctly with an Uzi mag sitting at an angle being they were designed to be straight up and down?
Link Posted: 2/28/2014 9:27:24 AM EDT
[#4]
Very nice, will be a nice SBR!
Link Posted: 2/28/2014 1:14:02 PM EDT
[#5]
Thats really impressive. Definitely interested in hearing about what mods were needed for the Uzi mags.
The mods to the fore end are ingenious.
Link Posted: 2/28/2014 1:59:51 PM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 2/28/2014 2:46:29 PM EDT
[#7]
More work to the mags today.  I was supprised to find that it only took about 20 minutes to get the uzi mag to lock up to the gun properly.  I removed one of the floor plates from the factory mag and shaved it a little on the front and back to get it to fit into the uzi mag.  It works great so far.  I trimmed the rear of the uzi mag to match the factory mag and cut a slot for the mag release to grab.

The bolt hold open works and it locks up with no play.  The bolt will also ride forward without touching either magazine.  I haven't had a chance to load ammo into it and won't have one until this comming tuesday.  I will post a report when I do.  

CT9 10 rd mag

Uzi mag
Link Posted: 2/28/2014 9:18:12 PM EDT
[#8]
This is some sweet work man you go. You just opeand the hk ump clone to the public.
Link Posted: 2/28/2014 11:24:08 PM EDT
[#9]
I looks like there is enough meat in the magwell to change it to 9mm AR style mag release/latch. Notch the mags like a Colt style 9mm AR for compatibility and add a mag release to the side of the magwell and it would be perfect. Might even be able to use an AR magazine release parts in it.
Link Posted: 2/28/2014 11:38:01 PM EDT
[#10]
Didnt you just make an illegal rifle?  Doesnt it have a thumbhole stock to be 922r compliant with parts count?
Link Posted: 3/1/2014 12:00:55 AM EDT
[#11]
he might of, if he replaces the stock and pistol grip and i think some trigger parts if there ar like, and use the colt smg mags than i would just do that asap and call it no. other wise im not on top of 922r law to the T.
Link Posted: 3/1/2014 12:11:27 AM EDT
[#12]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
he might of, if he replaces the stock and pistol grip and i think some trigger parts if there ar like, and use the colt smg mags than i would just do that asap and call it no. other wise im not on top of 922r law to the T.
View Quote

Removing the thumbhole stock has created two parts from one.  Now the pistol grip and stock count as two foreign parts.  Using a foreign 30 round magazine like an uzi magazine is an additional 3 foreign parts.  He would now need to replace four other counted parts on the gun with made in usa parts to be 922r compliant.

Not that I think its right.  I am just pointing out you should be careful what you post on an open forum.
Link Posted: 3/1/2014 2:03:18 AM EDT
[#13]
The folding stock that I have for the rifle is us made, I'm replacing the pistol grip with a us made ar grip, and I'll replace the mag floor plate.  I'll also look into the colt mags.
Link Posted: 3/1/2014 2:20:51 AM EDT
[#14]
What type of stock are you using? Ace folder?
I knew the 922r questions would come up, I say f@ck 922r
Link Posted: 3/1/2014 8:35:15 AM EDT
[#15]
Impressive work.
Link Posted: 3/1/2014 6:37:06 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
The folding stock that I have for the rifle is us made, I'm replacing the pistol grip with a us made ar grip, and I'll replace the mag floor plate.  I'll also look into the colt mags.
View Quote

I've heard that the Colt mags will work, want to pic one of these up.
Really think getting a .40 call and having a .357 SIG barrel made for it seems promising.

Which folding stock are you purchasing for this build?
I think an ACR stock would match the lines of the weapon pretty well.  It seems that someone made an adapter for other weapons so it might not be impossible to do the same for this.

Any plans on rep rifling the magazine well?  I had issues operating the magazine release on the one I held, and it seems like it might be easier to activate if it were trimmed to be more UMP like.  Or possibly just extending the paddle lever.

Trimming the handguard, were you working from pics of the full auto gun or eyeballing it based off the vent hole?
Link Posted: 3/1/2014 6:39:23 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
What type of stock are you using? Ace folder?
I knew the 922r questions would come up, I say f@ck 922r
View Quote

Careful what you wish for, you might get it!

The ATF does not have a sense of humor.
Link Posted: 3/1/2014 6:55:28 PM EDT
[#18]
Any chance that and Ar trigger group would drop in?  Could you get some pics of those parts, those and a charging handle could be easy 922 compliance parts.
I am envisioning an ambidextrous charging handle based off the MP5 knob.
Link Posted: 3/2/2014 12:59:21 PM EDT
[#19]
The trigger and disconector are identical to an AR15.  They are ar15 parts.  The stock i chose is a  copy of a ump folding stock.  

I cut the forearm there because it gave me the most meat to place another hole for the forearm pin.  The vent holes get in the way if I cut it anywhere else.  I more or less eye balled it.
Link Posted: 3/2/2014 1:28:55 PM EDT
[#20]

Link Posted: 3/2/2014 3:51:46 PM EDT
[#21]
I keep looking at these rifles at the LGS but can't get myself to actually buy one. That breaks my heart as I am such a big fan of 9mm Carbines and have my fair share. The rifle seems designed OK, but the lack of magazines bothers me as this rifle is unique. My JRC and ASR both use Glock mags, my Marlin Camp and Kel-Tec Sub 9 both use S&W 59 mags, all easy to find.

If other affordable magazines can work in this rifle that would be great and a big plus. If the promised after market hi-cap mags turn out to be ProMags that never work right...that would be sad.

We are watching  this on-going project with great interest. I am a coward, I could never cut up a brand new rifle like that!  
Link Posted: 3/2/2014 4:29:01 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
The trigger and disconector are identical to an AR15.  They are ar15 parts.  The stock i chose is a  copy of a ump folding stock.  

I cut the forearm there because it gave me the most meat to place another hole for the forearm pin.  The vent holes get in the way if I cut it anywhere else.  I more or less eye balled it.
View Quote

Sounds pretty straightforward, add a new stock, swap an AR pistol grip and use the Colt pattern magazines.
From looking at pics of the subgun you've probably cut it in the proper location.
Link Posted: 3/5/2014 12:58:20 PM EDT
[#23]
From the looks of the pic showing the AR trigger and sear for comparison it appears that the receiver could accept an AR pistol grip as well.
Any indication that it could?
Link Posted: 3/5/2014 4:29:49 PM EDT
[#24]
i can't wait to see it with the ace folding stock on it.
Link Posted: 3/5/2014 5:56:19 PM EDT
[#25]
I did a lot more work last night.  I also turned in the SBR Eform

Because of where i drilled the hole for the forearm i needed to modify the mounting pin.  It doubles as a sling mount for the front of the rifle but the charging handle won't move to the forward most position so it needed to be filed down.

I used a hand grinder with a cutting disk then cleaned it up with a dremel.

The placement of the pin also interfered with the block the charging handle is attached to.  It also would not ride all the way forward but this was a larger problem because the bolt would not close.  I drilled it out and cleaned it up with a dremel.

I used a plastic welder to relocate the plastic piece that inserts into the lower receiver.  This helps keep the hand guard from moving around.

I removed and cut the stock off.  The mount for the pistol grip looks identical to an AR15 pistol grip mount.  I did not try to mount one but have heard  it will work.  

These voids needed to be filled to add strength and give me a place to mount the stock.

I used plastic from the discarded stock to fill the void.  

The stock I used has a metal bracket with two holds.  I counter sunk the holes and drilled and threaded the plastic.

The small gaps will be filled in with epoxy later and sanded to give in a more factory look and less like I did it in my garage..... which I did.

This is the factory insert that catches the recoil spring and locks the lower and upper together in the rear.  I filled in the shallow voids with more plastic from the discarded stock to give the bolts more meat to grab.

There are a few spots on the rifle that need to be refinished due to cutting or grinding that needed to be done.  I will also sand several parts of the rifle with fine sand paper to smooth out a few of the rough spots.  Most of what needs to be done at this point is cosmetic.  

I still need to shoot it in this configuration and work on the uzi mags.  I hand cycled the uzi mags loaded and they fed well when they were at the correct height.  I cut the notch a little high on the first mag and it's giving me a few issues but I know what the issue is and should be easy to fix.  I will just need time to work on them.

Link Posted: 3/5/2014 6:53:01 PM EDT
[#26]
ooo hk is gonna be mad. great work!
Link Posted: 3/6/2014 9:14:27 AM EDT
[#27]
Nice work! Too bad we cant get them straight from Taurus like that
Link Posted: 3/6/2014 10:06:47 AM EDT
[#28]
Just the ability to use a slightly modified Uzi mag makes the Taurus carbine a lot more attractive.
Link Posted: 3/6/2014 11:47:02 AM EDT
[#29]
So to fill the voids you just melted down the remains of the factory stock? Clever. What did you use to melt the pieces down? Heat gun?
Link Posted: 3/6/2014 12:37:10 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
Just the ability to use a slightly modified Uzi mag makes the Taurus carbine a lot more attractive.
View Quote

it dose we just have to make it 922r
Link Posted: 3/6/2014 3:49:26 PM EDT
[#31]
harbor freight plastic welder

Bought one of these for this project.  It was surprisingly easy to use.
Link Posted: 3/6/2014 4:56:07 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
harbor freight plastic welder

Bought one of these for this project.  It was surprisingly easy to use.
View Quote

How much of the gun is plastic when you look at it from the side?  Is the whole upper plastic?
Link Posted: 3/6/2014 5:17:08 PM EDT
[#33]
The upper is all aluminium.   The hand guard, lower, and stock are polymer/plastic.
Link Posted: 3/6/2014 9:14:09 PM EDT
[#34]
Looks good, I'm thinking a Choate folder would work well on one of these.  Who did you get the UMP style stock from?
The ACE folder may be an option too, IIRC it can be set up to fold to the left leaving the ejection port unobstructed.
Link Posted: 3/6/2014 10:27:59 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:  The upper is all aluminium.   The hand guard, lower, and stock are polymer/plastic.
View Quote

Well then it's total crap according to GD.  We all know polymer rifle lowers are useless, even if we happen to own a Glock or XD w/ a polymer lower.  

Great work OP, and keep an eye out on your 922r count.  Complete pain in the rear, but we can thank our fellow citizenry for the hoops we jump through.
Link Posted: 3/21/2014 4:48:40 AM EDT
[#36]
SMT40 parts
Found this page. Created an account and looked over the factory parts for the FA counterpart. Looks interesting.
Link Posted: 3/21/2014 7:13:59 AM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
SMT40 parts
Found this page. Created an account and looked over the factory parts for the FA counterpart. Looks interesting.
View Quote

great info.  Thanks for the post.  I wonder if you can order any parts from this or not since they are from a non importable FA weapon.
Link Posted: 3/21/2014 9:21:22 AM EDT
[#38]
I saw on another forum that you can pretty easily modify the factory 10 round mags into 15 round mags by milling out the bumps pressed into the side of the mag body, which serve to limit capacity. The guy who did this also clipped some coils off the mag spring. If this is all it takes to get a reliable 15 round mag, this gun just became a lot more interesting, IMO.
Link Posted: 3/21/2014 4:54:58 PM EDT
[#39]
I wonder if you can order any parts from this or not since they are from a non importable FA weapon
View Quote

Who knows. I couldn't even find a way to order from the parts list. I need to do more research.
Link Posted: 3/24/2014 8:06:22 AM EDT
[#40]
I think that's going to clean up to look really nice!  I'd hit it with some FDE too!
Link Posted: 3/29/2014 2:13:25 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
More work to the mags today.  I was supprised to find that it only took about 20 minutes to get the uzi mag to lock up to the gun properly.  I removed one of the floor plates from the factory mag and shaved it a little on the front and back to get it to fit into the uzi mag.  It works great so far.  I trimmed the rear of the uzi mag to match the factory mag and cut a slot for the mag release to grab.

http://i1025.photobucket.com/albums/y311/WFORIDERS/20140228_131829_zps2bdbf182.jpeg

http://i1025.photobucket.com/albums/y311/WFORIDERS/20140228_131845_zps927f3a8b.jpeg

The bolt hold open works and it locks up with no play.  The bolt will also ride forward without touching either magazine.  I haven't had a chance to load ammo into it and won't have one until this comming tuesday.  I will post a report when I do.  

CT9 10 rd mag
http://i1025.photobucket.com/albums/y311/WFORIDERS/ct9mag_zps2f4c774e.jpeg

Uzi mag
http://i1025.photobucket.com/albums/y311/WFORIDERS/20140228_133613_zps19329d45.jpeg
View Quote

Hey all, I just bought the .40 cal edition of this carbine this week and was wondering if there are .40 cal uzi mags, colt mags, or the like that I could mod like Jason did to fit the rifle? Anybody know by chance? Would I even be able to do this mod with the whole 922r situation? If not, then of course I won't but figured I'd check.

Thanks,

Bravo

Awesome work by the way!
Link Posted: 3/29/2014 4:52:24 PM EDT
[#42]
Link
Check this. I've been wondering the same thing. Outlook isn't very good.
Link Posted: 6/2/2014 10:40:23 PM EDT
[#43]
Any new progress?
How did you remove the stock? I can't seem to find a video or instructions any where.
I'm assuming you pull the two pins and take the screw out of the pistol grip. What size is the screw in the pistol grip, I don't want to strip it?
Link Posted: 7/7/2014 12:29:59 AM EDT
[#44]
I'll try and make a video tomorrow and link it.  I've got a 3 month old so free time is sketchy at best.
Link Posted: 7/7/2014 1:14:53 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
Hey all, I just bought the .40 cal edition of this carbine this week and was wondering if there are .40 cal uzi mags, colt mags, or the like that I could mod like Jason did to fit the rifle? Anybody know by chance?
View Quote

I've been tinkering with a couple of mags, trying to get something reliable for the .40 conversion on my Uzi. I've tried modifying the Promag .45 Uzi mags, as well as using IMI .41 AE mags. Both have issues. Additionally, I bought one of the new Rock River AR15/40 mags, but it wouldn't fit in the Uzi magwell. But they may work in the Taurus.

You can see details at Uzitalk.com.
Link Posted: 8/4/2014 11:57:39 AM EDT
[#46]
Any progress with this? Curious to see mods to the Uzi mags.
Link Posted: 8/15/2014 3:34:10 PM EDT
[#47]

Not pretty but they sorta work.  Still need some work.  I intend to get them working but it is looking like the colt SMG 9mm mags will work better and without modification at all.  

Here's a video of both the uzi mag and colt mag being hand cycled.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6OkLzZcOgQI

on a side note I just got my tax stamp back so the barrel will be going off soon to be cut and threaded
Link Posted: 8/15/2014 4:30:58 PM EDT
[#48]
Okay wait, so Colt 9mm mags lock in and hand cycle with no modifications?? Let us know if they're reliable, because that will make this a whole other ball game if that's the case.
Link Posted: 8/15/2014 5:49:29 PM EDT
[#49]
I only have one, but the one I have locked up nicely and cycled great by hand.  No last round bolt hold open but that isn't a deal breaker.  It might be 2-3 weeks before I can get a range report as I am going to see the in-laws but I will defiantly let everyone know when I get it to the range.
Link Posted: 8/17/2014 11:38:57 AM EDT
[#50]
Okay wait, so Colt 9mm mags lock in and hand cycle with no modifications?? Let us know if they're reliable, because that will make this a whole other ball game if that's the case.
View Quote

+1 on this. I'm surprised the SMG mags were plug and play as you describe. I wonder if it was done that way intentionally?
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top