Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 12/20/2011 9:21:19 PM EDT
OK, so I like my new Sub2k. Now, time to buy magazines. I had wanted one to use my Ber. 92 mags but it was impossible to find a new Sub2k for those mags. I settled on a Glock as they are the most popular and there are a lot of mag choices out there.

So, the CDNN "Asian Military" magazines....junk?  I hear mixed reports. Any feelings on these?

Best place (cheapest) to buy factory Glock mags?  MidwayUSA dealer price is like $33
Link Posted: 12/21/2011 9:48:58 AM EDT
[#1]
Last time I looked Midway had the best price on OEM factory Glock 30 rnd mags. Not sure if there is more than one 'Asian' manufacturer of the extended mags, I know I bought one and it seemed to 'bulge' in the middle which made it unreliable in my Glock 34, later I slipped on one of those spacers to fill the gap on a g17 mag for a G19 and it worked %100, but by then I had as much in my knockoff mag as a cheap OEM mag.
Link Posted: 12/21/2011 9:52:34 AM EDT
[#2]
Oh BTW, It's my understanding that you can 'convert' your Sub2k to any other type magazine just by swapping the mag release with the correct part. Except for the short grip version for G19 magazines, all other sub2ks are the same except for the mag release. There's more info on the Kel Tec owner's group forum.
Link Posted: 12/21/2011 1:49:30 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
Oh BTW, It's my understanding that you can 'convert' your Sub2k to any other type magazine just by swapping the mag release with the correct part. Except for the short grip version for G19 magazines, all other sub2ks are the same except for the mag release. There's more info on the Kel Tec owner's group forum.

If you have a Sub2k made for Glock...its Glock or nothing. Seems the grip area is part of the serial numbered "receiver" part and they will not change it due toB ATF rules. (it would be a different firearm with the change in serial numbers.) However, if you buy the "other" Sub2k it can be either a Smith, Sig, or Beretta by just changing the mag latch button that you can have sent to your house and do yourself.

And, the nice lady at Kel-Tec tells me that after Christmas they are expanding their operations as they are well aware they can't keep up. They really want to up their production. I think after the Obama spike and then slowdown a couple of years back and the slow economy many businesses were reluctant to spend their capital in an uncertain market. By now Kel-Tec is seeing they really are safe in upping production. I will buy another Sub2k for my Beretta if I can find one. These little guns are just too cool.

Link Posted: 12/22/2011 7:28:58 AM EDT
[#4]
You are correct, I forgot about the 'Glock only' version. And I thought I read somewhere that the S&W version will also work with the Kel Tec P-11 pistol mags too.
Link Posted: 12/22/2011 12:33:18 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
You are correct, I forgot about the 'Glock only' version. And I thought I read somewhere that the S&W version will also work with the Kel Tec P-11 pistol mags too.

Yes, that is my understanding, the P-11 uses the Smith mags. Sounds like a great idea if you think about it. KelTec saves the cost of tooling up for special mags plus you could have a Sub2k and a P-11 using the same mags. Win-Win.

Link Posted: 12/22/2011 4:21:10 PM EDT
[#6]
I just wish they would make one in 45 ACP that uses Glock mags.  
Link Posted: 12/23/2011 7:21:55 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

Lots of  people would like that I suppose. But since Kel Tec can't even keep up with the demand they already have I doubt they want to take on the time and expense of a low volume firearm like that. Maybe someday...call them and twist their arm! They do make a .40 cal one.
Link Posted: 12/25/2011 7:06:58 AM EDT
[#8]
I bought a pair of OEM G22 mags and they feed perfectly.  I sold the 10rd mag that came with it and never even tried it out.

I tried two of the Korean G22 15rd mags and had a few feeding issues with them the first time out.  They seem to feed better after that though.  I dropped a fully loaded mag and the mag extension flew off with rounds flying everywhere.  

I bought 6 of the Korean 31rd mags but Idon't know if all the Korean mags are the same or not.  They all have worked after trying each one out a few times but I did have one double feed (or failure to eject) the first time out with one mag.  I haven't had any other malfunctions since then.  

I thought about replacing the springs in the 31rd mags but since I haven't had anymore issues with them, I'm going to hold off until I do.
Link Posted: 12/25/2011 10:37:36 AM EDT
[#9]
Botac tactical have the best prices I have seen.  $19.95 last I saw and not that long ago.  I know many flame them but they have been good to me.  YMMV
Link Posted: 12/28/2011 5:35:05 AM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Lots of  people would like that I suppose. But since Kel Tec can't even keep up with the demand they already have I doubt they want to take on the time and expense of a low volume firearm like that. Maybe someday...call them and twist their arm! They do make a .40 cal one.

If you write them an email, they will respond.

I wrote them recently saying that they should make a new Sub-2000 with interchangeable mag wells for about 10 different mag types.  Then make 3 versions of the gun, in 9, 40, and 45.  Thread the muzzle.  Then, LEAVE EVERYTHING ELSE ALONE!
I'd love to have a Sub-2k, but I'm a CZ guy, so I'd have to buy the Glock version and a bunch of Glock mags.  Suddenly that $250 gun isn't such a deal any more.

Link Posted: 12/29/2011 2:23:29 AM EDT
[#11]
Try some gun shows.  Might be the cheapest way, and you can visually inspect what you're getting before shelling out the cash.
Link Posted: 12/29/2011 2:33:26 PM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 12/29/2011 9:47:37 PM EDT
[#13]
I've used the Asian mags in my Sub2K with no issues so far; it doesn't seem particularly picky about how or what you feed it in my experience.  When you get the mags, take them apart and inspect them- clean up any flashing you find on any of the parts that make contact and make sure everything is smooth.  Load and unload them a couple of times (a LULA loader helps here) then you should be gtg.  Still no idea why I bought the thing other than the novelty but it's been dead nuts reliable and it's fun to shoot.
Link Posted: 1/7/2012 9:53:27 PM EDT
[#14]
kci glock mags (korean made) are very hit of miss in my experience.  they range from work just fine to total junk.  this is especially true with the big 33 rounders.  i just stick with factory glock mags now.  mostly cause i dont feel like dealing with a crap mag.
Link Posted: 1/7/2012 10:06:23 PM EDT
[#15]
I've used the KCI 33rd mags and they were fine for me but some of them, especially the .40s&w Korean mags were fat and split the grips on some guns.  SOme have leftover flashing on the inside and need to be cleaned up too.

I keep the gun packed up with Glock brand mags, the KCI's are for the range.  

Link Posted: 1/8/2012 9:16:38 AM EDT
[#16]
http://www.botachtactical.com/glockmagazines.html

I ordered a bunch from here, free shipping.
Link Posted: 4/29/2012 7:41:21 AM EDT
[#17]
The Korean mags I've tried (KCI and Khan- all metal lined versions) have all worked fine, just disassemble them and clean up any plastic flashing as others have already said.  In loading them, it seemed that the followers weren't as "anti-tilt" as the Glocks.  I got a deal on Glock 9mm followers and changed them out.  A little graphite lube on the inside.  I've never had a problem with them.  MOst of the reports of problems I've seen in the Glock forums are the G17 mags.  Not sure why they are different from the others, but there it is.

John
Link Posted: 10/9/2012 9:13:39 PM EDT
[#18]
I also got the sub2k and bought a pile of these korean mags from sportsmans guide. The first time out they worked great, but then the second time they get slipping down just barely enough to cause misfires. It was really pissing me off. But then I could put the mag in my G19 and shoot it just fine. So I can't figure out if I'm having mag problems or Sub2k problems. Has anyone else experienced this? I disassembled and cleaned my sub2k and tried putting an empty mag in and could easily pull it out, it's as if the sub2k just doesnt 'grab' it well enough. Help!
Link Posted: 10/10/2012 3:02:52 AM EDT
[#19]
Directly form the Kel Tec web site:

NOTE: Glock magazine type SUB 2000 rifles cannot be changed to any other type of magazine, nor can any other magazine type of SUB 2000 rifle be changed to a Glock magazine type, the receiver itself is different.

It cannot be done, I don't know where some of you guys are getting your info.  Just changing the mag release will not do anything so don't waste your money and time and effort. I own both a Glock and Beretta mag model and the receivers are molded differently.

Go to the Kel Tec forums for more info.

Link Posted: 10/10/2012 6:08:08 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

NOTE: Glock magazine type SUB 2000 rifles cannot be changed to any other type of magazine, nor can any other magazine type of SUB 2000 rifle be changed to a Glock magazine type, the receiver itself is different.

It cannot be done, I don't know where some of you guys are getting your info.  Just changing the mag release will not do anything so don't waste your money and time and effort. I own both a Glock and Beretta mag model and the receivers are molded differently.

http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y217/jimcope/Kel%20Tec%20Sub%20200/IMG_0387.jpg

You didn't actually read what mot folks had posted, including where a poster corrected himself, did you?  It was mentioned by several people that the Glock lowers were different and couldn't be swapped.
Link Posted: 10/10/2012 4:46:36 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
Quoted:

http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y217/jimcope/Kel%20Tec%20Sub%20200/IMG_0387.jpg

You didn't actually read what mot folks had posted, including where a poster corrected himself, did you?  It was mentioned by several people that the Glock lowers were different and couldn't be swapped.

Oh well

Link Posted: 10/25/2012 3:55:03 AM EDT
[#22]
keltec says they make the sub 2K in Sig 226 config, but  has anybody seen one?
Link Posted: 10/25/2012 4:55:04 AM EDT
[#23]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top