Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 2/5/2016 9:48:54 AM EDT
A buddy has a 1953 win 94 30-30, ser #195XXXX, that he is wanting to sale. He will be coming to town and wants my help getting it appraised and sold for a fair price. I know a few appraisers, but I would like to do my homework and have an idea of what it is worth before he comes into town. It was a distant relatives that passed 20 years ago and the gun has not been fired since and otherwise in good condition. I don't know a condition score. I know it is impossible to truly appraise a gun without being in possession, but I just want to get an general range of value.

Where can I find values or do any of you have an idea?

Link Posted: 2/5/2016 10:12:20 AM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
A buddy has a 1953 win 94 30-30, ser #195XXXX, that he is wanting to sale. He will be coming to town and wants my help getting it appraised and sold for a fair price. I know a few appraisers, but I would like to do my homework and have an idea of what it is worth before he comes into town. It was a distant relatives that passed 20 years ago and the gun has not been fired since and otherwise in good condition. I don't know a condition score. I know it is impossible to truly appraise a gun without being in possession, but I just want to get an general range of value.

http://i33.photobucket.com/albums/d68/50_BMG/Guns/image1_zpsggteylmt.jpg
View Quote

if the metal finish is original and bore is in good shape and it functions as it should 450-500
Link Posted: 2/5/2016 10:18:23 AM EDT
[#2]

Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
if the metal finish is original and bore is in good shape and it functions as it should 450-500
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Or be sold online and pull 800-1200 in the blink of an eye.

Link Posted: 2/5/2016 10:27:29 AM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

no.

Ive bought 30-30 around this period.. off GB recently (1952). They go for 550-600 MAX if super clean. Hell bought this one and no one bidded other than me for 425 OTD..

The bad thing with gunbroker .. one goes for a large amount because someone has to have it.. or there was a bidding war and now everyone thinks that is what they are worth..

OR the item was a rare example with a   uncommon feature / situation that a collector of the specific item would know and not the common joe.  Because of this habit.. many  just sit on Gunbroker for months being auto-relisted and being way over priced or have insane reserves..
Link Posted: 2/5/2016 12:11:57 PM EDT
[#4]
There are lots of the post war 94s around and they do come up for sale even though the majority are sitting in the back of grandpa's closet.

They don't really make them any more (yeah I know about the Japanese versions) and the prices keep going up.

I have several examples and think highly of them . Not comparable at real distance to a modern scoped bolt gun but a very useful gun for lots of hunting uses . They are a very fun range gun , they have a mid range caliber , history and cool looks going for them .
Not a horrible home defence gun and is acceptable in some of the crazy states .

I like 30-30 as a cast bullet gun , doesn't give up much power , to some ways of thinking this makes it more valuable as a long tern SHTF item .

When someone is selling a firearm there is always the retail/wholesale thing going on . Dealers just have to low ball you to keep their lights on.
Gunbroker can be ok but there is always the condition issue and how things work out if the buyer is not satisfied

I am not sure if the OP is just looking for a price for his friend or if he is thinking about grabbing up this gun himself .

A sale between two friends , one who doesn't want the gun and one who does is many times the best deal.

This looks like a average condition rifle with some medium honest wear . I feel the 1950's guns had better fit/finish and generally are more desirable than say a 1970's or later gun . Between friends I would put a fair price as $500-$575 assuming a good bore and little to no rust pitting on the finish . Gunbroker might fetch $75 or $100 more
A shooter with a usable bore even with more finish problems is still going to be $375-$400
Link Posted: 2/5/2016 12:40:34 PM EDT
[#5]
This is truly "value for a friend". He owns a few guns, but is not into guns like many of us. I am truly looking out for his benefit. We have been friends for ~40 years. He will be having back surgery and will be out of work for a while. He needs the cash.

I would buy it, but i already have an early 60's mod 94 that i learned to hunt with and i am into modern guns as a hobby. I have little interest in collecting older guns. I am an addictive personality. I have no doubt if i started collecting older guns, i would be divorced. Because all of my black rifle and tacticool rifle collection is hard enough for my old lady to accept.

Thanks for the info. I think i have a good grasp on the value. Hopefully he can maximize the sale.
Link Posted: 2/5/2016 1:00:08 PM EDT
[#6]
Got mine for $60.............But that was in 1955.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top