Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 4/15/2016 1:30:33 PM EDT
Income tax time and finally got the thumbs up from the wife for a safe.  Budget is 3K.  Needs to be a 60 gun safe.  I'm looking at Liberty Fat Boys, Ft Knox and American Security.  Any recommendations and where to buy?
Link Posted: 4/15/2016 8:48:04 PM EDT
[#1]
57 views and nuthin

Maybe, http://www.deansafe.com/

Maybe, http://www.westcoastsafes.com/american-security-safes-c-7.html

If you are North, http://www.securitysafeusa.com/ in Hayward, great people.

ETA AMSEC, FT KNOX, maybe used deals.
Link Posted: 4/15/2016 9:11:34 PM EDT
[#2]
There are guns in California?
Link Posted: 4/15/2016 11:53:13 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
57 views and nuthin

Maybe, http://www.deansafe.com/

Maybe, http://www.westcoastsafes.com/american-security-safes-c-7.html

If you are North, http://www.securitysafeusa.com/ in Hayward, great people.

ETA AMSEC, FT KNOX, maybe used deals.
View Quote

Is there a huge difference in AMSEC to Ft Knox?
Link Posted: 4/16/2016 7:54:05 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
View Quote

In the $3K range? Probably not. Amsec is a professional safe company that also makes gun safes. Ft Knox is really a gun safe company. Gun safes tend to market features like EMP resistance, corner bolts, and other similar things that cater to the brain eating zombie during a nuclear war prepper crowd. These features rarely add to the actual security. Amsec makes TL30x6 safes and below, and therefore really understands what feature matter for as safe versus what markets to the zombie preppers.

The Amsec BF is a pretty neat safe with a proprietary fire fill. They have an edge in fire protection in the 3K range.
Fit and finish is usually a bit  better on a Fort Knox if that is important to you.

Amsec's customer service seems to be degrading a bit, but that is just my impression from forum chatter. My personal experiences with them have been fine.

Fort Knox's customer service is excellent.

In the $3K range you wouldn't go wrong with either, but if you don't mind a bit of work to build your own interior out of plywood and automotive carpet I would suggest looking in the used market for a used TL30...assuming your floor can support it. I went with a TL30x6 and did my own interior.
Link Posted: 4/16/2016 8:24:12 AM EDT
[#5]
If you're looking FT Knox give Ryan from FT Knox an IM. He'll be able to tell you the best place. Probably even save you some money.
Link Posted: 4/16/2016 1:09:25 PM EDT
[#6]
You should also take a look at Sturdy Safe, lots of Sturdy fans on ARF.
Link Posted: 4/16/2016 3:54:03 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
You should also take a look at Sturdy Safe, lots of Sturdy fans on ARF.
View Quote

I was looking at Sturdy. They are located about 4 hours where I live.  I called them but it sounds like for the capacity I want they are going to be out of my budget. They had one that was 3400 but I want to say it was a 48 gun
Link Posted: 4/17/2016 5:25:57 PM EDT
[#8]
Take a look at the Fort Knox M2 series of safes. Very good features for the money.
Link Posted: 4/17/2016 5:27:23 PM EDT
[#9]
http://www.westcoastsafes.com/fort-knox-gun-safes-fort-knox-m2-gun-safes-c-1000071_1000082.html
Link Posted: 4/19/2016 12:12:40 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

In the $3K range? Probably not. Amsec is a professional safe company that also makes gun safes. Ft Knox is really a gun safe company. Gun safes tend to market features like EMP resistance, corner bolts, and other similar things that cater to the brain eating zombie during a nuclear war prepper crowd. These features rarely add to the actual security. Amsec makes TL30x6 safes and below, and therefore really understands what feature matter for as safe versus what markets to the zombie preppers.

The Amsec BF is a pretty neat safe with a proprietary fire fill. They have an edge in fire protection in the 3K range.
Fit and finish is usually a bit  better on a Fort Knox if that is important to you.

Amsec's customer service seems to be degrading a bit, but that is just my impression from forum chatter. My personal experiences with them have been fine.

In the $3K range you wouldn't go wrong with either, but if you don't mind a bit of work to build your own interior out of plywood and automotive carpet I would suggest looking in the used market for a used TL30...assuming your floor can support it. I went with a TL30x6 and did my own interior.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Believe FK is also making TL30s now. No doubt that AMSEC has more experience with the TLs. I am going with FK over AMSEC due to the customization options.
Link Posted: 4/20/2016 6:22:39 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:Believe FK is also making TL30s now. No doubt that AMSEC has more experience with the TLs. I am going with FK over AMSEC due to the customization options.
View Quote

If I recall correctly, I believe their TL-30's are white labeled by someone else and resold by Fort Knox. Doesn't mean it is a piece of crap, if it is a UL Listed TL-30 it is going to be a decent security product.

However, if I was in the market for another TL-30 a Fort Knox would not be at the top of my list.

It all depends on the budget, and you will have a hard time to get a brand new TL-30 of the size needed for long guns for a 3K price range. Used is a possibility.

---Aaron
Link Posted: 4/20/2016 7:28:05 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

If I recall correctly, I believe their TL-30's are white labeled by someone else and resold by Fort Knox. Doesn't mean it is a piece of crap, if it is a UL Listed TL-30 it is going to be a decent security product.

However, if I was in the market for another TL-30 a Fort Knox would not be at the top of my list.

It all depends on the budget, and you will have a hard time to get a brand new TL-30 of the size needed for long guns for a 3K price range. Used is a possibility.

---Aaron
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:Believe FK is also making TL30s now. No doubt that AMSEC has more experience with the TLs. I am going with FK over AMSEC due to the customization options.

---Aaron

I'm not saying that you could get a new TL30 for that price that would take long guns, just saying that FK does have a line of TL-30s.

For the price range the best option for his needs is probably a Liberty Fatboy, I don't think anything else holds 60 guns and comes in under $3K with an adequate level of protection.
Link Posted: 4/23/2016 7:47:34 AM EDT
[#13]

I'm not saying that you could get a new TL30 for that price that would take long guns, just saying that FK does have a line of TL-30s.

For the price range the best option for his needs is probably a Liberty Fatboy, I don't think anything else holds 60 guns and comes in under $3K with an adequate level of protection.
View Quote

I missed the 60 long gun need. That is a big safe.
Link Posted: 4/25/2016 11:36:12 AM EDT
[#14]
www.sturdysafe.com

American made, American steel

4 ga body
3/8's plate door
delivered to your door
Link Posted: 4/25/2016 5:10:55 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
www.sturdysafe.com

4 ga body
3/8's plate door
delivered to your door
View Quote

I like Sturdy but they are out of my budget for the size I need
Link Posted: 4/25/2016 5:30:47 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
www.sturdysafe.com

4 ga body
3/8's plate door
delivered to your door

If you are willing to go without fire-lining then your budget would be in a 48Wx27Dx60H range; Sturdy doesn't show the size advertised on their website but it used to be so likely they'd still make it if asked. If fire-lining is essential, then I think you are on the right track considering the Fatboy.
Link Posted: 4/26/2016 4:03:24 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
www.sturdysafe.com

4 ga body
3/8's plate door
delivered to your door

Yeah, I saw the size after I posted.  You need a big ass safe, lol
Link Posted: 4/28/2016 1:59:50 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
www.sturdysafe.com

4 ga body
3/8's plate door
delivered to your door

They do group buys here and looks like it amounts to about a 20% disc.

Sturdy Group Buy
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top