Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 1/12/2011 11:39:43 AM EDT
i picked up a winchester wide body from costco and i could not be happier. door seals nice and tight and the fit and finish is real nice for a cheap rsc.. it is 59x40x25 and weighs 700lbs. cost 930.00 with tax. i know its not gonna keep a ninja out but it will keep out a smash and grab and will help in the case of a fire. it is made by granite security out of texas and seems to have a good warranty and for an extra 50 it gives you a 10yr lock warranty which includes lock outs and anything else lock related. i am picking up a golden rod and some remote controlled cordless lights tomorrow
Link Posted: 1/12/2011 11:41:39 AM EDT
[#1]
I have one and am very happy with it.  I know it isn't top of the line, but it is the best that I can afford.  Be sure to bolt it to the floor.
Link Posted: 1/12/2011 11:57:32 AM EDT
[#2]
That's a great bang-for-the-buck container.  Nice buy.
Link Posted: 1/12/2011 1:05:54 PM EDT
[#3]
Easy to Pry, easy to beat open with a hammer, and easy to whack open with an axe. This attack was done with that hammer in the picture in less than 3 minutes by beating on the top seam of the safe. The body was skip welded.

Link Posted: 1/12/2011 2:15:12 PM EDT
[#4]
Cool, $310 a minute
Link Posted: 1/12/2011 2:29:23 PM EDT
[#5]
Dude I have a plasma cutter, torches and more hammers and cut of tools than I care to think of. The safe is a simple keep kids out and keep snatch and grab out. I also have a gsd a home alarm with cameras that I can access from my phone and great old nosey neighbors. I live 2 minutes from the police and fire department and there is someone home most everyday
Link Posted: 1/12/2011 2:51:33 PM EDT
[#6]
Where did you put the safe in the house?

What is a GSD?

The safe is sold through a US Distributor, but it is made in China.

Your door may seal up tight, but someone hits any of the body seems with a hammer it wont be sealed up very tight anymore. Anyone can swing a hammer. You actually would have been way better of with a Liberty Centurion, a Browning Bronze, or even a Dakota over that thing you bought. At least those safes have a continously welded body.
Link Posted: 1/12/2011 3:37:59 PM EDT
[#7]
GSD = German Shepherd Dog IIRC...
Link Posted: 1/12/2011 3:49:01 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

Dude I have a plasma cutter, torches and more hammers and cut of tools than I care to think of. The safe is a simple keep kids out and keep snatch and grab out. I also have a gsd a home alarm with cameras that I can access from my phone and great old nosey neighbors. I live 2 minutes from the police and fire department and there is someone home most everyday

95% of burglary's are this....there are few "professionals"  out there breaking into Joe six-pack's safe.

Link Posted: 1/12/2011 3:58:41 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

Quoted:

95% of burglary's are this....there are few "professionals"  out there breaking into Joe six-pack's safe.

I beg to differ, a lot of the people out there we talk to and deal with have people attempt to break into their safes. Almost every safe gets hit with a hammer, and about 60% of them have something jammed in the door as an attempted pry attack. We see cases where people spend hours in the home, and have spent hours working on safes. We see people with high end homes and alarms get burglarized, as well as joe six pack. The idea is to be prepared, and keep people out of your house and your stuff. If your just trying to keep kids out, buy a rigid tool box, put your guns in it, and put a lock on it. That is going to keep your kids away from the guns, and do a better job of keeping thieves out than these cheap safes would.

It is funny how there are at least 3 security professionals that I know of frequenting this section of the forum, but the average members don't want to listen to their professional opinions or take their advice on what is realistic and what is not for a safe.
Link Posted: 1/12/2011 5:20:50 PM EDT
[#10]
I didn't come on here asking for advice I was simply statimg what I bought and saying I am happy with what I bought. The safe is in a closet and bolted down through the floor with 2x4's underneath from brace to brace. It would have to be attacked from the front. The spare room has a locking solid pine door with 3inch screws holding it up and it swings out into my basement family room. I have a small gun collection so I am not stressing. You can't stop a serious thief if they have targeted you and they are determined and good at what they do.
Link Posted: 1/12/2011 5:30:22 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

I didn't come on here asking for advice I was simply statimg what I bought and saying I am happy with what I bought. The safe is in a closet and bolted down through the floor with 2x4's underneath from brace to brace. It would have to be attacked from the front. The spare room has a locking solid pine door with 3inch screws holding it up and it swings out into my basement family room. I have a small gun collection so I am not stressing. You can't stop a serious thief if they have targeted you and they are determined and good at what they do.

....and I predict that you will enjoy the comfort that comes with having some extra secured areas in your home for many years to come. I have seen that safe, and it is nice.

I also bought a Liberty Safe from Costco a few years ago, and I am glad that I did!

Link Posted: 1/12/2011 6:25:22 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

The point is it's not only not going to keep a serious thief out it won't keep any thief out. Bolting it down won't make much of a difference if they can pry the safe right open. If you do end up needing a safe for more expensive items you really should get something more robust.

"Dude I have a plasma cutter, torches and more hammers and cut of tools than I care to think of."

Make sure you keep them as far away from the safe as possible.

Link Posted: 1/12/2011 10:26:41 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

Quoted:

....and I predict that you will enjoy the comfort that comes with having some extra secured areas in your home for many years to come. I have seen that safe, and it is nice.
I also bought a Liberty Safe from Costco a few years ago, and I am glad that I did!

If by nice you mean that it is a cheap chinese made product with skip welded body seams, a cheap lock, and it contains all of the most inexpensive components they could find and put in it, then I AGREE! I seriously doubt it was even fire tested, with that skip welded body I dont see how it could have stayed sealed up in a burn test.
Link Posted: 1/13/2011 3:08:45 AM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

If by nice you mean that it is a cheap chinese made product with skip welded body seams, a cheap lock, and it contains all of the most inexpensive components they could find and put in it, then I AGREE! I seriously doubt it was even fire tested, with that skip welded body I dont see how it could have stayed sealed up in a burn test.

Why do you insist on shitting in this guy's thread? He acknowledged in the original post that it was cheap and wouldn't keep a ninja out....he knows what he bought, yet you insist on showing how much smarter you are by pointing out that he's a dumbass.

You must be a joy to hang out with.

Link Posted: 1/13/2011 4:04:57 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:

Why do you insist on shitting in this guy's thread? He acknowledged in the original post that it was cheap and wouldn't keep a ninja out....he knows what he bought, yet you insist on showing how much smarter you are by pointing out that he's a dumbass.

Thanks jj.  You saved me some typing.  
Link Posted: 1/13/2011 4:23:10 AM EDT
[#16]
Sounds like a great deal do you have any pics yet...
Link Posted: 1/13/2011 4:48:03 AM EDT
[#17]
I am still happy with my purchase. I didn't get a chance to finish up but by friday I will have pictures with interior lights and where I placed the cardboard box I mean container. Plasma cutter beats hammer or axe every day of the week. You should tell everyone how smart you are and how dumb we the consumer are when your selling your safes.
Link Posted: 1/13/2011 5:29:29 AM EDT
[#18]
Okay i would to see the lights your talking about do you have a web link I have cannon 6030      im waiting on and am going to need some lights.
Link Posted: 1/13/2011 5:40:12 AM EDT
[#19]
Guys this is not that hard to understand. This is a technical forum.  It is not a place where one goes to be congratulated for making a particular purchasing decision.  If OP is happy with what he bought, that's great.  But don't post about it in a technical forum expecting to be patted on the back about what a great product it is if it clearly has weaknesses.  You have people who work in the industry or have a lot of knowledge about how the safes are built going over the specifics of the weaknesses of this particular safe. That is as it should be in a tech forum.  In my opinion, it's much better to have you get your bubble burst in here than it is after you've had all your guns stolen.  OP may never be broken into, let alone by someone capable of getting into his safe, but to perpetuate bad information about a particular product just to spare some hurt feelings is irresponsible for the many other people that come in here looking for purchasing advice prior to actually buying something.  OP, I'm happy you're happy with your purchase.  If it keeps the kids out and that's your main goal, more power to ya.  I think all Snop is trying to point out is that there are better options in the 1k range that offer better security features.  I don't think he's intending to offend you, but giving you information that you need to know.  My $0.02

ETA:  OP sounds like he has nice layered security so probably will never be an issue for him in his situation.
Link Posted: 1/13/2011 5:43:57 AM EDT
[#20]
well alrighty then

im out

i guess if you cant afford the nice stuff no need of posting or saying anything about it here

I'm sorry i misunderstood this section as a section to post about your gun safe and set up

that you are proud of

Link Posted: 1/13/2011 5:53:39 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:

Same shit different day.  OP spent 3 times as much as I did on my "piece of shit" safe and apparently it didn't get him any better protection than I bought.  No Sturdy, no love apparently.
Link Posted: 1/13/2011 6:01:28 AM EDT
[#22]
So constructive criticism should not be posted?  And this is constructive criticism, I don't see Snop calling anybody any names - just stating facts.  This is a purchase that for many people protects one of their most valuable and potentially dangerous collections.  I also don't see anywhere that he indicated OP should spend $4,000 on a safe, only that there are better choices in the 1k range that might have been alternatives.  I'll take facts over my feelings any day, but maybe I just have a thicker skin than most.  
Link Posted: 1/13/2011 6:05:02 AM EDT
[#23]
Snop, you definitely have some valid points, but the guy didn't ask for them...he bought a new security container, it's gonna keep his kids out, it'll stop the common crackhead, and survive flames for a few minutes.  He's excited about it...for $900, his stuff is a heck of a lot better off and far more organized than it was a couple days ago.

Stocklx, if you're really concerned about the effectiveness of the Winchester (which you don't really seem to be :), you could take out an insurance policy to protect your collection.  Right now, I pay just under $200/year for $15000 worth of guns and jewelry...I believe it varies across insurance companies, but you may even be able to get a further price break since you're keeping all your stuff in an UL-rated "Residential Security Container" (which seems to mean a lot on paper).  And the safe itself, if it gets damaged in a break-in attempt or a fire, is covered through Winchester's lifetime warranty as long as you stay the original owner.  

In a screwed up way, it's sort of a win-win.  All that considered, I still think it's a good buy.

Link Posted: 1/13/2011 7:09:12 AM EDT
[#24]
I made the post about it not being a nice safe (in my opinion) because someone congratulated him in the purchase and said they had seen it, and thought it was a nice safe. So, as it may look nice, construction of the safe is horrible in my opinion. I am not too sure why people frequent this section of the forum, and then go buy (in my opinion) one of the worst security containers on the market. Isn't this section of the forum supposed to make people more educated on what to buy, and what not to buy? I think that one of the most frustrating things for me, is watching people go to a place where you can buy a pound of gummy bears and pick up a safe all in the same trip. If you want to make sure you dont make a mistake in purchasing a safe, dont buy a security container from a Giant Mart store or a Hardware store. Go to a safe store and talk to a professional if your not going to do research or talk to anyone in this section of the forum.
Link Posted: 1/13/2011 7:14:44 AM EDT
[#25]
Fair enough.

now all I can think about is gummy bears.
Link Posted: 1/13/2011 7:21:33 AM EDT
[#26]
Let's take a look at something here real quick. OP what city or zipcode in Illinois are you in?
Link Posted: 1/13/2011 7:54:06 AM EDT
[#27]
I appreciate your input Snop...
Link Posted: 1/13/2011 9:26:42 AM EDT
[#28]
I have seen the videos of guys breaking into safes in the middle of a warehouse.

Does anyone have a link of someone breaking into a safe, bolted down, in a closet, with the alarm horn blowing, and the fear of the K-9 unit only a few minutes away?

I feel pretty good about my Liberty and American Security safes, coupled with a monitored alarm.

Link Posted: 1/13/2011 9:53:44 AM EDT
[#29]
A few months ago I had a guy come in and he had his house robbed. He had a monitored Alarm system in the home. The thieves cut all the wires down the side of his house. Then they set the alarm off and waited outside to see if the police showed up. When the police didn't come because the phone lines were cut, the thieves went inside and tore the siren off the wall and looted the house. Just because you have an alarm doesn't mean your safe from being robbed.

I have literally heard it all, any scenario you guys can throw out on here, I have seen a thief overcome the situation. Yes, even dogs. I have seen dogs fed lunch meat, I have seen dead dogs.
Link Posted: 1/13/2011 10:01:48 AM EDT
[#30]
I have a $500 First Alert from Costco.  Yeah, I knew it wasn't great when I got it but it is a hell of a lot more secure than my previous storage locations.....  Like under the bed and the corner of the closet.  My modest collection is completely covered from fire and theft by insurance.  If I get above the $$ limits for either then I will consider a Sturdy.  I respect all the safe pro's opinions and understand where they are coming from.  I have read all the horror stories but they are not my primary concern.  Why can't the pros realize that not every ARFCOM member has a closet full of NFA toys and antique double guns.  Some of us just need basic, cost effective storage for a few guns.  Hell, at least he didn't get one of those green Stack-On cabinets.....
Link Posted: 1/13/2011 10:33:06 AM EDT
[#31]
Most AR15.com members have several ar15's, and if they had actually just bought a safe instead of one decent AR15 they would have a decent security container to lock the remiaing AR's in.
Link Posted: 1/13/2011 10:51:53 AM EDT
[#32]
I know what I bought trust me. You cannot cut wires to a wireless security system. My zip is 60445 and if you go 5 minutes down the road you have houses worth 4x's mine. Nobody is gonna target a 200 thousand dollar house except smash and grab. You are not the only one who has seen or heard it all you don't know what I do for a living. I am cool with you starting your own thread telling people the best safe for the money actually that would be really cool of you. I do have a rider through state farm because they only cover 2 grand.
Link Posted: 1/13/2011 11:13:13 AM EDT
[#33]
I think you know what you bought now, but if you had known when you bought it, I have a feeling you would have looked for something better. There are safes around the same price range with better construction, better locks, and better warranties.
Link Posted: 1/13/2011 12:31:25 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
I appreciate your input Snop...

I do too. I probably would have bought a lesser safe if not for reading his posts in the forum. Instead i spent a little more and got a much better safe.
Link Posted: 1/13/2011 1:08:39 PM EDT
[#35]

Quoted:

A few months ago I had a guy come in and he had his house robbed. He had a monitored Alarm system in the home. The thieves cut all the wires down the side of his house. Then they set the alarm off and waited outside to see if the police showed up. When the police didn't come because the phone lines were cut, the thieves went inside and tore the siren off the wall and looted the house. Just because you have an alarm doesn't mean your safe from being robbed.

I have literally heard it all, any scenario you guys can throw out on here, I have seen a thief overcome the situation. Yes, even dogs. I have seen dogs fed lunch meat, I have seen dead dogs.
Cellular monitoring. Especially good if you don't use a land line anyway. After initial installation, it is around $16 a month.

Link Posted: 1/13/2011 1:19:04 PM EDT
[#36]
Post the better safes for around a thousand in the 36-40" wide version. I will be leaving this unit behind when we move within the next year or so. Need better public schools for the little ones. You are right if I could have stayed around a grand I would have bought a better unit.
Link Posted: 1/13/2011 1:29:09 PM EDT
[#37]
Cannon Patriot 40, Liberty Fatboy Jr.
Link Posted: 1/14/2011 6:16:48 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
I have literally heard it all, any scenario you guys can throw out on here, I have seen a thief overcome the situation.

Did you ever see a thief tear a ~2 ton TL safe out of a car garage and haul it away?  I know it's been done with ATMs.  

Link Posted: 1/14/2011 9:23:58 PM EDT
[#39]
So far I have seen a Champion Triumph 60 with 55 firearms, cash, magazines, and other valuables get ripped out of a Dairy office by a truck with a chain. The safe turned up 7 days later in a Gravel pit about 14 miles from where it was stolen from. It had a little bigger than fist sized hole in the side of it and 1 cheap $500 semi automatic handgun was missing out of it. There was just over $30,000.00 cash in the safe that was still there when it was opened. Estimated weight with everything inside was about 2,200lbs.

I have seen a 25 cu ft safe disappear out of the second floor of a house. They brought it out into the upstairs hallway and pushed it out a window at the end of the hall onto the lawn. Then they loaded it up in a truck and drove off with it. It happened in a residential neighborhood in city limits. City population of about 99,000 people. Safe was never recovered. It took place in the middle of the day. I could go on and on with these.

The best is when people say " I got nosey neighbors" or "I have neighbors on all sides that are retired" or "I live near stay at home moms". People just aren't realistic.
Link Posted: 1/15/2011 2:35:01 PM EDT
[#40]
Nothing is people proof. But if I were ever to be a thief and you had anything under 1" thick steel your done. I have seen many safes hit with sledges and firemens axes and they didn't get through. A good determined thief is gonna get into anything. To many variables to say what is right and wrong for anyone. Cheap insurance is game cameras mounted high out of sight
Link Posted: 1/15/2011 9:53:23 PM EDT
[#41]

Link Posted: 1/16/2011 6:34:30 AM EDT
[#42]
Opened like a can of tuna!
Link Posted: 1/17/2011 6:53:32 AM EDT
[#43]
To me, it looks like that safe had to be beat from the sides and back to pry the top open.  If the safe were in a corner and one side and the back were not accessible, would that still allow the top to be opened like a "can of tuna"?

What if the safe were in a recessed hole in a closet and the sides, back and top were not accessible at all?  Would that make it any "safer" from a "tuna can attack"?

I'm just curious if there is any way to make a cheap safe/RSC less vulnerable and protect it's weak points a little more.  I realize it would still be subject to prying of the door, so does this safe perform well, decent, or horribly in a pry attack on the door?

Link Posted: 1/17/2011 7:07:53 AM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
To me, it looks like that safe had to be beat from the sides and back to pry the top open.  If the safe were in a corner and one side and the back were not accessible, would that still allow the top to be opened like a "can of tuna"?

What if the safe were in a recessed hole in a closet and the sides, back and top were not accessible at all?  Would that make it any "safer" from a "tuna can attack"?

I'm just curious if there is any way to make a cheap safe/RSC less vulnerable and protect it's weak points a little more.  I realize it would still be subject to prying of the door, so does this safe perform well, decent, or horribly in a pry attack on the door?

Of course it would help but not much. It's clearly very thin metal with poor welds so there are numerous points at which it can be defeated.  I doubt the minute it takes to take a sledge hammer to your closet would be needed.
Link Posted: 1/17/2011 10:18:49 AM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:

The door is just as easy to pry open. Your not safe from anything with that safe.
Link Posted: 1/17/2011 4:30:34 PM EDT
[#46]
Wow that sucks. I am gonna go pick up some 10 gauge metal on my off days to check to see if my electric shears will cut it. My winchester is only 12 or 14 so I just wonder if even a higher price 10 gauge safe would be safe from a simple set of electric shears.
Link Posted: 1/17/2011 4:53:02 PM EDT
[#47]
Wow that sucks. I am gonna go pick up some 10 gauge metal on my off days to check to see if my electric shears will cut it. My winchester is only 12 or 14 so I just wonder if even a higher price 10 gauge safe would be safe from a simple set of electric shears.

I don't think you have to worry about the shears too much, it would be hard to get a cut started then a long time to cut your way in. This is the device I think a lot of people with what some people would consider a "nicer" gun safe should be worried about.

See that spreader in the middle of those accessories, that portable hydraulic device can generate a high level of force and that spreader can open to 3 3/4". These gun safes with wide gaps between the door and body that would allow the spreader to be placed in the gap would also be pealed open and it wouldn't take much time or make a lot of noise.
Link Posted: 1/19/2011 5:04:39 AM EDT
[#48]
Wow I like.  I didn't even think of my porta power. Good call. Testing the electric shears tonight
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top