Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 7/27/2016 8:30:00 PM EDT
Can anyone make any recommendations on how to talk to your HOA? I have some pretty iron clad verbiage in mine that makes me reluctant to ask for a letter of approval.

On a side note, there are two home based FFL's that live in my neighborhood. Perhaps I am just over thinking this?

Any advice would be greatly appreciated!

MY HOA CCR Below

No trade or business may be conducted in or from any dwelling, lots or homesite except; (a) business activity does not involve visitation to the Dwelling by clients, customers, and suppliers or other business invitees. (b) business activity must be consistent with the residential character of the property and does not constitute a nuisance, a hazard or offensive use.
Link Posted: 7/27/2016 8:32:27 PM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
Can anyone make any recommendations on how to talk to your HOA? I have some pretty iron clad verbiage in mine that makes me reluctant to ask for a letter of approval.

On a side note, there are two home based FFL's that live in my neighborhood. Perhaps I am just over thinking this?

MY HOA CCR Below

No trade or business may be conducted in or from any dwelling, lots or homesite except; (a) business activity does not involve visitation to the Dwelling by clients, customers, and suppliers or other business invitees. (b) business activity must be consistent with the residential character of the property and does not constitute a nuisance, a hazard or offensive use.
View Quote

Well, it seemes like two other people must have figured it out....why don't you talk to them and see how they did it?
Link Posted: 7/27/2016 8:41:19 PM EDT
[#2]
I have reached out to them but have not received anything in the way of a response.On the interim, I figured that I would jump the gun and ask the big dawgs on the Ar15 board.

Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

Well, it seemes like two other people must have figured it out....why don't you talk to them and see how they did it?
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

MY HOA CCR Below

Link Posted: 7/27/2016 8:47:56 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
I have reached out to them but have not received anything in the way of a response.On the interim, I figured that I would jump the gun and ask the big dawgs on the Ar15 board.

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:

MY HOA CCR Below

Sounds like they must know that they are breaking the rules....and don't want to get caught, or have anyone else in their business.  If the HOA contract specifically says that no business may be conducted from any dwelling.......that's pretty cut and dry. Not sure what you can do to get around that....unless you do what the other two guys do and just hope that nobody catches them.

Link Posted: 7/27/2016 9:02:57 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
Sounds like they must know that they are breaking the rules....and don't want to get caught, or have anyone else in their business.  If the HOA contract specifically says that no business may be conducted from any dwelling.......that's pretty cut and dry. Not sure what you can do to get around that....unless you do what the other two guys do and just hope that nobody catches them.
View Quote

Except ATF checks the CCR's.  The other FFL's would need some sort of waiver.
Link Posted: 7/27/2016 9:32:47 PM EDT
[#5]
Will you 'deliver'?
Link Posted: 7/27/2016 10:26:29 PM EDT
[#6]
Care to elaborate?

Quoted:
Will you 'deliver'?
View Quote

Link Posted: 7/28/2016 9:28:00 PM EDT
[#7]
Okay, my apologies if this sounds harsh, but...  If there's already two home-based FFL's in your neighborhood, why do you think a third is needed?
Link Posted: 7/28/2016 11:11:23 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Okay, my apologies if this sounds harsh, but...  If there's already two home-based FFL's in your neighborhood, why do you think a third is needed?
View Quote

Maybe their transfer fees are high and OP figures he can give customers a better deal?
Maybe the OP wants to be a manufacturer and the others are only transfer dealers?

I'm home-based and there's a B&M Type 01 less than a mile from me.  He's retail with a range, we're strictly gunsmithing and custom builds.  Different business models.
Link Posted: 7/29/2016 10:42:29 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:

MY HOA CCR Below

Now think about that...do you think they are going to give you any advice?  I know I wouldn't.  You would be cutting into their biscuits and gravy!
Link Posted: 7/29/2016 10:55:41 AM EDT
[#10]
Don't live where an HOA is present.  Enjoy your new found freedom to run your FFL
Link Posted: 7/29/2016 1:16:39 PM EDT
[#11]
Thanks guys. Got it squared away.
Link Posted: 7/29/2016 2:34:20 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Will you 'deliver'?
View Quote

Illegal.  

Increasing traffic is the issue.  Everyone on my HOA board owns and/or collects guns and would welcome an FFL.  We would probably make enough neighborhood business to prevent any traffic increase.

We could not specifically deny it, but would prefer to not be asked to allow it.  Some asshole selling kettle corn from their garage would bring in 100 cars a day just to make you pay for one little indiscretion.
Link Posted: 8/7/2016 4:31:43 PM EDT
[#13]
Enjoy getting your variance permit too. Took my county six months to give me mine. I don't do transfers to people at the house for a variety of reasons. My model focuses on gunsmithing and inter FFL transfers.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top