Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 2/23/2015 11:54:58 PM EDT
Hey guys, after a setback, I'm finally ready to submit my form 7 so I can do a home based (sorta) FFL. Somewhat understandably my management company is not liking the idea of me running a business out of my apartment so I'm in the process of securing a small office in a business park so I can have a physical address (not planning on having a traditional storefront) away from my apartment. My plan is to secure the office within the next few days and send out my paperwork by March 1st. After July 1st I will be paying my SOT and become a Class2/3 (hope i'm saying this correctly). The main reason I want to go 07 is because I have a couple of suppressor designs that I'd like to test out and test them under full auto conditions. I've done a good bit of research and it looks like I don't have to pay the ITAR if I am only conducting R&D, is this correct? Let me just say this, I WILL NOT be selling any guns that I manufacture, they will simply be used to test out my suppressor design. The only firearms I will be selling will be from wholesalers/distributors. At this point, I'm not willing/able to pay the ITAR. So, if my plan isn't going to work out, I guess I'll just stick to an 01 instead of the 07 and just get my class 3 until I'm able to pay the ITAR in the future. So, my questions are 1) will what I have laid out work? 2) Do you have any suggestions that may make the whole process go more smoothly? And please feel free to correct me if I've misspoken or am misinformed, but please remember I'm new to this whole process and came here for help and  guidance.

Thanks in advance!
Link Posted: 2/24/2015 4:03:32 AM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 2/24/2015 9:00:01 AM EDT
[#2]
Wait, how is it you are able to rent office space but can't pay the ITAR fee?  ITAR is only $2250/year.
Link Posted: 2/24/2015 11:14:37 AM EDT
[#3]
Quoted: The main reason I want to go 07 is because I have a couple of suppressor designs that I'd like to test out and test them under full auto conditions.
View Quote

couple is 2.

2 F1 silencers is $400. Get an 01/03 and do form 1s for your silencer designs. If it works out and you want to make them, re-apply for 07/02.
Link Posted: 2/24/2015 11:30:18 AM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Thanks for your help.

Quoted:
Wait, how is it you are able to rent office space but can't pay the ITAR fee?  ITAR is only $2250/year.

The office that I'm looking at is just above $100 per month. Like I mentioned, I'm using it just for a physical address and the office is just big enough for a desk and gun safe.

HansohnBrothers, My mother was a deputy in Culpeper in the the late 90s. Ever meet a Deputy Wilson?

Quoted:
Quoted: The main reason I want to go 07 is because I have a couple of suppressor designs that I'd like to test out and test them under full auto conditions.

couple is 2.

2 F1 silencers is $400. Get an 01/03 and do form 1s for your silencer designs. If it works out and you want to make them, re-apply for 07/02.

Why is that a better option that getting my 07/02 first?
Link Posted: 2/24/2015 12:23:12 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

Why is that a better option that getting my 07/02 first?
View Quote

If at your interview the IOI asks the right questions, you will be denied your 07 as you have no intent to go into the manufacturing business (The main reason I want to go 07 is because I have a couple of suppressor designs that I'd like to test out and test them under full auto conditions.). In fact, you might be denied an 01 if that is the reason you put on your application.

Have you even checked to see if you can do MFG at your location? Zoning? Electrical? Environ?

Link Posted: 2/24/2015 12:28:57 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

If at your interview the IOI asks the right questions, you will be denied your 07 as you have no intent to go into the manufacturing business (The main reason I want to go 07 is because I have a couple of suppressor designs that I'd like to test out and test them under full auto conditions.). In fact, you might be denied an 01 if that is the reason you put on your application.

View Quote

Fair enough, I figured as long as I plan on manufacturing in the future, then I'd be good to go. I plan on maintaining an online store, but not doing any selling of the items I manufacture for a little bit. Guess my plan might be shot to hell (no pun intended).
Link Posted: 2/24/2015 12:31:58 PM EDT
[#7]
The fastest and cheapest route to testing your silencer designs is to file F1s today. Skip FFL, ITAR, office rental, FFL/SOT fees, etc.
Link Posted: 2/24/2015 12:37:14 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
The fastest and cheapest route to testing your silencer designs is to file F1s today. Skip FFL, ITAR, office rental, FFL/SOT fees, etc.
View Quote

I'm going to get my 01 then. I still want to do business as an FFL, I just figured going the 07/02 route would be easier in the long run.
Link Posted: 2/24/2015 1:18:40 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
The office that I'm looking at is just above $100 per month. Like I mentioned, I'm using it just for a physical address and the office is just big enough for a desk and gun safe....
View Quote

Do you understand what "licensed premises" means and the restrictions that entails?
Link Posted: 2/24/2015 1:20:32 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

Do you understand what "licensed premises" means and the restrictions that entails?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
The office that I'm looking at is just above $100 per month. Like I mentioned, I'm using it just for a physical address and the office is just big enough for a desk and gun safe....

I can only conduct business out of the premises where I'm licensed. Since I will be an all online business, this should be perfectly acceptable for an 01 dealer, should it not?
Link Posted: 2/24/2015 2:30:55 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

I can only conduct business out of the premises where I'm licensed. Since I will be an all online business, this should be perfectly acceptable for an 01 dealer, should it not?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Correct, but when you wrote "...I'm using it just for a physical address..." it seems as if it's not where you will actually conduct business.
Link Posted: 2/24/2015 5:42:06 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

Correct, but when you wrote "...I'm using it just for a physical address..." it seems as if it's not where you will actually conduct business.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Gotcha, I didn't mean to imply that I wouldn't be conducting business from there.
Link Posted: 2/24/2015 5:44:19 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

This is the way I understood it also.

Not only that.  When he was first talking about 07 and renting out an office, I assumed he didnt check on the zoning either.

Im sorry OP, but it seems like this whole thing just popped in your head and now you are going full speed ahead without a business plan.  I mean, you seriously asked your apartment complex if it was ok to sell out of your apartment?

Did you read the thread in this section on how to get your license?
Link Posted: 2/24/2015 6:42:20 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
I mean, you seriously asked your apartment complex if it was ok to sell out of your apartment?
View Quote

As i've stated a couple of time already, I'm only going to be selling online. So they had no problems with me operating a business out of my apartment as long as no extra foot traffic would be coming in/out. Since then, a new management company bought my complex and they changed their tune on my home business, hence why I'd like the office.

And I may be getting ahead of myself, but I figured as long as I was getting my 01 I might as well try and see if I could go ahead and get my 07/02 as well. No harm in seeing if it was a plausible idea. It doesn't seem to be something that I'll be able to do within the next year or so, so I'll put that idea on the back-burner and proceed with my 01/03.
Link Posted: 2/24/2015 6:57:57 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
I mean, you seriously asked your apartment complex if it was ok to sell out of your apartment?
View All Quotes
Quoted:

I did.
The first year I was licensed, I did transfers out of my rented townhouse.
When the ATF IOI asked the property manager if she was okay with me selling guns she freaked out and told him absolutely not. I then faxed the IOI a copy of my lease (which said home based business was perfectly fine). The property manager said "badges scare me!" and she was never a problem after that.

Quoted:
As i've stated a couple of time already, I'm only going to be selling online. So they had no problems with me operating a business out of my apartment as long as no extra foot traffic would be coming in/out. Since then, a new management company bought my complex and they changed their tune on my home business, hence why I'd like the office.  

They can change their tune, but they can't change your lease unless you consent. Does your lease permit a home based business?

And I may be getting ahead of myself, but I figured as long as I was getting my 01 I might as well try and see if I could go ahead and get my 07/02 as well. No harm in seeing if it was a plausible idea. It doesn't seem to be something that I'll be able to do within the next year or so, so I'll put that idea on the back-burner and proceed with my 01/03.    

Please take Walker77's advice and develop a business plan.
If you aren't going to do transfers (ie "foot traffic') I think you will not find "online dealing" as profitable as you hope.      
Link Posted: 2/24/2015 7:20:23 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

They can change their tune, but they can't change your lease unless you consent. Does your lease permit a home based business?
View All Quotes
Quoted:

It does prohibit home based businesses.

Quoted:
Please take Walker77's advice and develop a business plan.
If you aren't going to do transfers (ie "foot traffic') I think you will not find "online dealing" as profitable as you hope.      

If I get an office space I won't have to worry about the "foot traffic" that my apartment prohibits so I can start doing transfers. And I'm not looking to make a whole heap of money right when I start out. I know that it's going to take time to build a customer base and relationships with distributors and wholesalers. I have saved up some capitol so I can start buying and selling to a fair amount of people that are eager for me to get up and running. Hopefully, I will be successful in obtaining my Class3 and can start doing transfer on NFA items. The only class3 dealer within 60 miles charges $150 for transfers. Plus the only other FFL in town is VASTLY overpriced. In a town of roughly 50,000 people, I think I could potentially have a pretty good customer based given some time.
Link Posted: 3/4/2015 6:46:11 PM EDT
[#17]
So I've decided against the 07 route since I won't actually be manufacturing anything for a little while. So I'm going to send out my paperwork for an 01 first thing Monday morning. I do have a question though, my fingerprint cards are from almost exactly a year ago. Is this fine or do I need to get new ones? Fingerprints don't change, but I don't know how the ATF will look at this.
Link Posted: 3/4/2015 7:07:01 PM EDT
[#18]
I would call the FFL department of the ATF and ask. You wouldn't want something stupid like that holding up the process. I had called them about a few questions I have had and they were very helpful.
Link Posted: 3/4/2015 8:14:20 PM EDT
[#19]
The photo needs to be within the last six months, but I'm not sure if that applies to the FP cards as well.  As suggested, give them a call...
Link Posted: 3/4/2015 10:05:50 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
The photo needs to be within the last six months, but I'm not sure if that applies to the FP cards as well.  As suggested, give them a call...
View Quote

I'll call them tomorrow afternoon
Link Posted: 3/5/2015 3:18:42 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Just gave the atf and asked a very nice lady if she could direct me to someone who could help me with a question I had about finger print id cards for form 07s. She told me that office is closed due to weather and I should call back later
Link Posted: 3/5/2015 4:29:48 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

Just gave the atf and asked a very nice lady if she could direct me to someone who could help me with a question I had about finger print id cards for form 07s. She told me that office is closed due to weather and I should call back later
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Do you think Mother Nature has an agreement with ATF ensuring sunny skies and 75degrees wherever they have an office?
Link Posted: 3/5/2015 5:01:57 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
View Quote

Cut them some slack.  I live close to 244 Needy Road and since 0300 today we've gotten 10 inches of snow.
Link Posted: 3/5/2015 5:30:39 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

Do you think Mother Nature has an agreement with ATF ensuring sunny skies and 75degrees wherever they have an office?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Hey cut him some slack, at least he was able to google "ATF" and give them a call
Link Posted: 3/5/2015 6:15:38 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

Hey cut him some slack, at least he was able to google "ATF" and give them a call
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Link Posted: 3/5/2015 7:31:06 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I just figured since her office was open, their's would be open as well.
Link Posted: 3/5/2015 8:11:17 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Once you get your FFL you'll know why we are ribbing you.
You'll find out that weather impacts ATF just like the rest of us. The storms this winter haven't been kind to ATF in West Virginia.
I believe all the FBI NICS Examiners are  also in WV.....that causes problems when a buyer is forwarded "for further review" since they may be operating with fewer staff than normal.
Link Posted: 3/6/2015 2:23:44 PM EDT
[#28]
I've read most of this thread... .hope this hasn't been covered...but with your 07 FFL you'll need to keep the parts and perform all of the manufacturing of those suppressors at your licensed address.   So, performing the work at a machine shop that is not at your licensed address is not allowed.

Best bet is to form 1 those suppressors and build them once you get the form 1's back approved.  Don't even purchase the tubing for them until you get the forms back.  The reason(s) for this are many but cost and location requirement (above) are primary.

Link Posted: 3/6/2015 3:30:27 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
I've read most of this thread... .hope this hasn't been covered...but with your 07 FFL you'll need to keep the parts and perform all of the manufacturing of those suppressors at your licensed address.   So, performing the work at a machine shop that is not at your licensed address is not allowed.

Best bet is to form 1 those suppressors and build them once you get the form 1's back approved.  Don't even purchase the tubing for them until you get the forms back.  The reason(s) for this are many but cost and location requirement (above) are primary.

View Quote

I've decided against the 07 for right now.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top