Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 10/31/2015 12:07:37 PM EDT
I have the 3X integerated optic on my AUG.  Love it, but it's not ideal for 3-gun close range style shooting.  So I would like to also mount a reflex optic on it, on 1 of the 3 rails integrated into the A3M1.  Has anyone done this already, and have recommendations on style and brand?  I would light light weight.  Quality is somewhat secondary, if it fails, I have the integrated 3X optic already.
Link Posted: 10/31/2015 4:25:36 PM EDT
[#1]
If you shoot 3 gun then adding the second optic will put you in Open class.

Your other option is to get the long rail and mount your choice of RDS...

Mick
Link Posted: 10/31/2015 6:00:41 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 11/3/2015 1:45:53 AM EDT
[#3]

Link Posted: 11/3/2015 7:15:07 AM EDT
[#4]
I would go with the short/low rail and an EoTech.   If you go that route, the height from the top of the stock to the center of the EoTech will be the same as from the top of the stock to the center of your 3x scope.  

You also will need to replace the charging handle with one made from Manticore, to avoid hitting your knuckles on the eotech.
Link Posted: 11/3/2015 11:10:25 PM EDT
[#5]
Go with a new rail. I put a Holosight on my 3x and even with a low mount it was just waaaayyyy too high.
Link Posted: 11/4/2015 9:36:40 AM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
<a href="http://s847.photobucket.com/user/samuraijesse/media/Mobile%20Uploads/757AD04A-4594-444F-9BDC-949E6015A9FE_zpsmbibm9ib.jpg.html" target="_blank">http://i847.photobucket.com/albums/ab36/samuraijesse/Mobile%20Uploads/757AD04A-4594-444F-9BDC-949E6015A9FE_zpsmbibm9ib.jpg</a>

<a href="http://s847.photobucket.com/user/samuraijesse/media/Mobile%20Uploads/IMG_20141129_134646_zpsx9hwxnvt.jpg.html" target="_blank">http://i847.photobucket.com/albums/ab36/samuraijesse/Mobile%20Uploads/IMG_20141129_134646_zpsx9hwxnvt.jpg</a>
View Quote

What height mount ( and who makes it) for your T1? That's the same set up I'm going for.
Link Posted: 11/12/2015 10:23:15 PM EDT
[#7]
Ok, so as an experiment, I ordered a $20 reflex sight off Ebay.  I kid you not - $18.99 - delivered - Ebay.  So you know it's going to be quality.  

it shows up today, and I'm kind of amazed what you can get for $18.99 - not going to lie.  I fully expect it to fail in like, 50 rounds.  But it's a tiny little reflex sight with a couple spare batteries, a thumb connection screw, and a 3 position switch, with a high setting for bright sunny days.

OK - again, this is an experiment, just to test the concept.  

There are 3 places you can put this on an AUG.  So... the nominal light rail, that's on the receiver... nope, too short.  Ok, the side of the scope.   You know, I really like it!  Why, it takes about a 45° cant (maybe less), and look, the dot is lined up directly above the barrel now.  I take some photos.  I like this, this should work.

Annnnnndddd.  One problem.  If you put a 45 degree cant on a AUG, I'm pretty sure you're eating brass.  My cheek is touching the felt.  The felt I put there because that's where the brass is impacting the stock.   Crap, that's probably not going to work.  (In which cause, WHY THE HELL DID STEYR EVEN PUT THAT RAIL THERE???)

So, now I put it on top.  Bleh, it's so high, that the cheek weld is now a chin-weld, to see through it.  Which sort of works, I guess.  Other issue is the point of the reflex sight is for CQB.  But the issue with that, is the zero is going to be set for like 10 yards or so.  With an optic that high, the vertical alignment is going to be ridiculously off for any other distance.  

So... I'll keep playing around with it, and let you know what I find out.  I'm glad I didn't start with a $300 holosight to learn this.
Link Posted: 11/13/2015 12:10:45 AM EDT
[#8]
Try moving it forward on the top rail. I'd say all the way up that small piece of rail at the very front if it fits
Link Posted: 11/14/2015 11:51:44 PM EDT
[#9]
Is your stock cracked where the scope rail meets the receiver?  Looks cracked "behind" this nexus point.
Link Posted: 11/15/2015 2:21:22 PM EDT
[#10]
Not a crack. The stocks all have a hump removed from them. You're seeing marks from sanding it off.
The hump was first removed for the A3, and more or less continues today.
Link Posted: 11/15/2015 3:31:29 PM EDT
[#11]
Good to know - thanks.
Link Posted: 11/15/2015 4:43:57 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Try moving it forward on the top rail. I'd say all the way up that small piece of rail at the very front if it fits
View Quote

Ok, I did so.  Why?  Seems like it makes the window relatively smaller and the dot less certain to be in side the window...
Link Posted: 11/15/2015 5:36:46 PM EDT
[#13]
Took it out to the range today.  Zero'd for 15 yards.  Seems to work OK, I kind of like it, for the faster target aquesition.  Still annoyed though that I have to mount it so high.

As the quality of the cheapie - to be honest, it works pretty good!  The materials are of course junk, so the mounting screw would stretch out and loosen up after not very many rounds.  I'll probably lock tight it, and continue to play around with it until I decide to commit

Link Posted: 11/15/2015 9:33:48 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:
Ok, I did so.  Why?  Seems like it makes the window relatively smaller and the dot less certain to be in side the window...
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

i read in an Army training manual that red dot sights should be mounted as far forward as possible to increase the FOV.  in this case, it should also make it feel like you're not craning your neck up as much to find the dot as if it were if mounted to the rear

Link Posted: 11/23/2015 4:48:26 PM EDT
[#15]
As noted in this thread: http://www.ar15.com/forums/t_6_43/435616_So_I_got_an_AUG__A3_M1_.html&page=5, I took out my high speed $18.95 RDS this weekend, and did some zero testing.  

I'm making this up as I go here, but it seems like about an 17-18 yard zero for this little guy is about right.  That gets me within a couple inches for most stuff between 10 and 25 yards, after which the 3X optic will likely start being used anyway.  Or so I'm guessing.  

As to the cheap proof-of-concept unit I'm using.  It take cheap to a new level.  But you know, it actually worked pretty great.  With a little locktight on the mounting nut, it did manage to stay put for the entire 130 rounds of the day, plus some minor movement bumps.  It held zero relatively fine.  It's run on a cheap little disc battery.  It stopped working towards the end of the 3 hour day, but if I turned it off for a bit, it would start working again, for a bit.  

The little Allen Wrench windage/elevation adjustment screws are pretty sensitive.  1/8 turn is like 4" at 25 yards.  (for reference, clockwise is up and right)

My favorite part, that left me just laughing out loud:  When shooting with the sun in front of you, the sun would hit the eliminator area, and reflect a field of red light and faint dots onto the glass, covering at least half the glass and at least mildly obscuring the target.  Except for the very center of LED area, where the actual LED dot really is.  So when turned off, that little spot would not be lit up.  So!  When the battery dies, that's the aiming spot, and it totally worked using that to shoot.  Yes, it's so cheap, that the cheap electronics failing due to the cheap battery, and the cheap LED field would still reflect an entire area filling up half the cheap glass with an obscuring red field.  With exception of a non illuminated "dot" in the center that's not reflecting any sunlight, which is where the red dot is supposed to be.  

Did I mention it's a Chinese no-name $18.95 red dot I grabbed of Ebay?
Link Posted: 11/23/2015 9:55:47 PM EDT
[#16]
Nice thread. Is there any iron sights that would fit this set up ?
Link Posted: 11/24/2015 1:28:32 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
View Quote

There are backup/emergency sights on top of the scope.

Link Posted: 11/24/2015 1:36:03 AM EDT
[#18]
I've got a decent amount of experience with the AUG. I ran an RDS on top of my original A3.

I just picked up an A3 M1. Green NATO stock (will buy a regular stock when they come in) and with the 3X optic. I plan to run an RDS on top of the scope. I haven't shot it yet. But for what I plan to do with it. Yes, it will sit high. Yes it will go from me having a cheekweld to some kind of chin weld. But trying it out early. Not a big deal to me. I've been trying an Aimpoint T-2 on it. But will also try a Comp M2 on it as well. I mainly bough the gun for giggles and to build as close as possible clone of an A3 SF. So I think overall. I don't find the height of the optic a huge deal.
Link Posted: 11/25/2015 7:53:30 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

That's neat. Anyone have a good pic? Would you be able to hit something at 100-200 yrds ?
Link Posted: 11/25/2015 10:21:46 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
That's neat. Anyone have a good pic? Would you be able to hit something at 100-200 yrds ?
View Quote

I have a picture somewhere, unless someone beats me to it I will get it up later tonight.

Could you hit something at 100+ yards - like the side of a barn? Sure...
Link Posted: 11/25/2015 11:01:07 AM EDT
[#21]
Yeah, unless I'm beaten to it. I'll put up some pics.

Unless I'm remembering wrong. All the various scopes that came on various AUG models, including the F88 Austeyr (and newer Aussie variants that include/use a similar scope), the A3 scope, the A1, the SF and the M1 all have something that resembles backup/emergency sights on them.
Link Posted: 11/25/2015 3:21:14 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Actually no, there are not.  They A1 integrated scope had back-up manual sights.  Bumps really, but it was something.  On the A3M1, they put a picatiny rail on top of the scope.  They cut a channel down that rail that you can see down.  They put two white dots on the back of the rail to make for a rear sight.  All a good start.  And then they put put the elevation adjustment knob in the middle of the viewing channel, which eliminates the ability to actually see down the channel, or use the 2 dots on the back to sight onto a target.  

Link Posted: 11/26/2015 5:51:03 AM EDT
[#23]
Well, we could argue whether they are indeed sights or not. But as far as we all know they are intended to be emergency sights. Point and shoot type if you will. Crappy, but they're there. I'll have to check the manual to see if it says so or not. Put a little dot of paint on the adjustment nob or simply shoot through the nob at close distances. They suck. That's why I tend to call them "emergency sights" and not "backup". Backup seems to nice a word for them.
http://www.gundigest.com/wp-content/uploads/Optic_Options.jpg
https://www.k-var.com/shop/images/D/SAI-TIGERSTRIPE-1.5xCLOSE.jpg
And maleante's pic I stumbled upon on the web:

Here's the original A3 scope:
http://www.europarm.fr/bibliotheque/photos-produits/stl101.jpg

You look down the channel and use the raised pointy area on the front of the scope as the front sight. That's intended to be the emergency sight. Even says in the manual. It's a horrible backup, but it is what it is.

The backup sights over the years may have been actual three-dot sights or nubs or something inbetween. But they're there in one form or another on every scope for an AUG I've seen IIRC.
Link Posted: 11/26/2015 7:13:01 PM EDT
[#24]
i have an A1 manual that says that the emergency sites machined into the optic are good out to 200m
Link Posted: 12/15/2015 9:06:52 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
i have an A1 manual that says that the emergency sites machined into the optic are good out to 200m
View Quote

I don't know about the validity of being good to 200m on those sights, that sounds a bit embellished for those sights while shooting offhand. I'd say 100m is more likely. As to the M1 emergency "sights", minute of barn is what I really see it as. Point and shoot might be just as accurate.
Link Posted: 12/15/2015 9:13:53 PM EDT
[#26]
Instead of the optics on top that are too high,  I was thinking that maybe the sights from the CZ skorpian would be better due to the low height.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top