Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 8/22/2015 8:37:41 AM EDT
I already have a five seven pistol. The thought process of owning a  five seven/ps90 is it's my 22lr replacement. While 22lr is cheap to shoot (if you can find it.) The 5.7 round is superior in almost every regard except price. It's more reliable then 22lr since it's center fire. It's  super light to carry hundreds of rounds and it will kill varmints (it;s also a nice defense round if you buy the good  military and police only ammo which 22lr is not a good round for that so it's more versatile of a round  ) ... I also think it's a great handgun/rifle to start beginners/weaker individuals like kids/some women (not saying all women can handle the bigger rounds but some are better off with a smaller recoiling rifle or pistol) I would rather have my girlfriend or mom backing me up with a 5.7 round then a 22lr...

Everyone complains about cost of the ammo but at 15 or 16 per box of 50 (thats what you can find ss197 or federal ball ammo for which is good for hunting/target shooting but bad for self defense ).  

What can you tell me about your ps90's do you like them?  Whats the run down on these guns.(ps i've never had a malfunction with my usg five seven. Can i expect the same reliability)

Link Posted: 8/22/2015 9:00:37 AM EDT
[#1]
PS90s are fun, SBR'd PS90s are super fun. I'm not getting into the debate of the terminal effectiveness of the 5.7 round, but I will say I'm sure it's better than .22lr. Mine (10.3" PS90) has been reliable pre and post conversion, and is very easy to shoot accurately. I've never benched it but it's easy enough to shoot about softball sized groups at 25 offhand with the OEM white ring sight.

PS if you're considering it for more than a range toy, you'll likely not want the white ring sight as it's usable outdoors but mostly disappears inside or in low light. Look into the black sight, or fiber optic. Currently there is also a battery supplemented optic out.
Link Posted: 8/22/2015 9:06:03 AM EDT
[#2]
$1079 Shipped on Slickguns plus manufacturer promo for 5 free mags.  SBR it or not. Even cheaper if MIL/LE.
Link Posted: 8/22/2015 9:28:10 AM EDT
[#3]

If you already own the pistol - why not.
Sounds like you have already decided to get one but just need a push.

Link Posted: 8/22/2015 10:08:58 AM EDT
[#4]
^^^ +1 ^^^
Link Posted: 8/22/2015 2:36:21 PM EDT
[#5]
Had the pistol so picked up a ps90 to compliment it.  Love them both.
Link Posted: 8/22/2015 4:43:01 PM EDT
[#6]
Get both
Link Posted: 8/22/2015 5:25:21 PM EDT
[#7]
Friend of mine has it, and the pistol.  They are neat little guns, fun to shoot fast, pretty accurate.  I also like how easy and fast they strip down.  (Seriously, you push a button and it falls apart in your hands, practically.)

I would love to have one.  I do have a Sparrow waiting on Approval, and it's rated for the cartridge....hmmmm....
Link Posted: 8/22/2015 9:24:03 PM EDT
[#8]

Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

$1079 Shipped on Slickguns plus manufacturer promo for 5 free mags.  SBR it or not. Even cheaper if MIL/LE.
View Quote
Damn good deal.

Go for it, OP.
Link Posted: 8/22/2015 9:44:18 PM EDT
[#9]
I just stumbled across this thread as I have been looking at purchasing a ps90 for years.

That deals looks great 3 mags with the gun and then the rebate for another 5 mags.

Problem is the FFL I would use is closed till Monday I know they do transfer but never done one through them before, anyone know if it is alright to make this purchase and list them as the FFL before I call them or is that considered bad form?
Link Posted: 8/23/2015 12:38:08 AM EDT
[#10]
When you make the purchase there is a section where you enter your zip and select an FFL from the list.  If they are listed choose them or enter them manually.  It took them 4 or 5 2 days to ship my order.  I am sure this gives you enough time to call the FFL on Monday and verify its ok.  If not, contact the seller and change the FFL before they ship.  Or you could just wait till Monday to order, but risk the deal ending before you ordered.  I ordered a week ago.
Link Posted: 8/23/2015 1:09:58 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

What can you tell me about your ps90's do you like them?  Whats the run down on these guns.(ps i've never had a malfunction with my usg five seven. Can i expect the same reliability)

View Quote

Buy one.  I love mine.  Everyone loves it.  Never had a single hiccup.  Even when new/non-shooters that seem to mess everything else up they never had a problem with it.  Seriously it is the only firearm that I have that I can say it has always worked/performed 100% - never even had any kind of minor issue.  Tiny compared to everything else.  Large capacity magazine that seems to be inside it rather than sticking out.  Completely ambidextrous.  No recoil & accurate.  Nothing else even remotely like it.  I recommend the AMP engineering trigger & FNH factory brass catcher.  Buy whatever FNH mags are cheaper - the 30 rounders are easy to cut the spacer to make a 50 & the 50s are easier to load.
Link Posted: 8/23/2015 8:54:57 AM EDT
[#12]
Dammit.
You've almost got me talked into it and I wasn't looking for one!
Link Posted: 8/25/2015 3:28:09 AM EDT
[#13]
I bought a PS90 SBR which I'm currently awaiting approval on.  I've only held it for less than a minute but I already love the thing.  It's such a compact package with the short barrel I can already see myself watching Looper with it by my side.

Personally I think it's worth owning for it's uniqueness.
Link Posted: 8/25/2015 10:03:35 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

Buy one.  I love mine.  Everyone loves it.  Never had a single hiccup.  Even when new/non-shooters that seem to mess everything else up they never had a problem with it.  Seriously it is the only firearm that I have that I can say it has always worked/performed 100% - never even had any kind of minor issue.  Tiny compared to everything else.  Large capacity magazine that seems to be inside it rather than sticking out.  Completely ambidextrous.  No recoil & accurate.  Nothing else even remotely like it.  I recommend the AMP engineering trigger & FNH factory brass catcher.  Buy whatever FNH mags are cheaper - the 30 rounders are easy to cut the spacer to make a 50 & the 50s are easier to load.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

So, not only did you not talk him out of it, you pushed me over the edge toward it .  I've wanted one since like 1992 or 1993 when I first saw one in a small arms book.  The fact that Palmetto has decently priced ammo didn't help either.
Link Posted: 8/25/2015 2:54:53 PM EDT
[#15]
Oh well, missed that deal.  Mine should be at my lgs in a few days (at a couple hundred more.  Also have a billet upper in route...  Low impulse control I guess.

Link Posted: 8/25/2015 4:33:48 PM EDT
[#16]
Slickdeals from High Plains Gun Shop arrived today along with 4 50rnd Mags.  FHN still owes me 5 more.  Very happy.

Link Posted: 8/25/2015 10:10:48 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Slickdeals from High Plains Gun Shop arrived today along with 4 50rnd Mags.  FHN still owes me 5 more.  Very happy.

http://www.speedmph.com/AR/PS90.jpg
View Quote

Mine should arrive late this week or next.  So, a total of four mags arrive with it and then there is a rebate for more from FN, correct?
Link Posted: 8/25/2015 10:58:50 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

Mine should arrive late this week or next.  So, a total of four mags arrive with it and then there is a rebate for more from FN, correct?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

http://www.speedmph.com/AR/PS90.jpg

That is my understanding.  One in the rifle box, three separate, and promo from FHN http://www.fnhusa.com/r/promotions/ps90-promotion/
Link Posted: 8/25/2015 11:04:44 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
I already have a five seven pistol. The thought process of owning a  five seven/ps90 is it's my 22lr replacement. While 22lr is cheap to shoot (if you can find it.) The 5.7 round is superior in almost every regard except price. It's more reliable then 22lr since it's center fire. It's  super light to carry hundreds of rounds and it will kill varmints (it;s also a nice defense round if you buy the good  military and police only ammo which 22lr is not a good round for that so it's more versatile of a round  ) ... I also think it's a great handgun/rifle to start beginners/weaker individuals like kids/some women (not saying all women can handle the bigger rounds but some are better off with a smaller recoiling rifle or pistol) I would rather have my girlfriend or mom backing me up with a 5.7 round then a 22lr...

Everyone complains about cost of the ammo but at 15 or 16 per box of 50 (thats what you can find ss197 or federal ball ammo for which is good for hunting/target shooting but bad for self defense ).  

View Quote

Yep abt the 5-7 awesome gun with TREMENDOUS firepower.

Look up Ft Hood shooting.

This said, I'd pass on the '90.

Too heavy for what it does.

Expy -more 5-7's than I can remember -almost...  

Link Posted: 8/25/2015 11:17:16 PM EDT
[#20]
The deal pushed me over the edge too.  I received mine last week.  Already have a Form 1 in the pipe.  Now I have to figure out if I should have the barrel cut, or buy an aftermarket 10" barrel.  Removing the barrel shroud pin without hacksawing it looks like a pain.
Link Posted: 8/26/2015 3:31:58 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
Dammit.
You've almost got me talked into it and I wasn't looking for one!
View Quote

Link Posted: 8/26/2015 10:25:34 AM EDT
[#22]
What they really need to do is get rid of that tempered pin and make the promotion a 10" barrel

But 5 mags is not a stick in the eye.

Link Posted: 8/26/2015 10:44:52 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

View Quote

Any gun would have been just as good at shooting unarmed fish in a barrel
Link Posted: 8/26/2015 3:26:35 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

WOW!

A low information ballistics 'expert'!

Link Posted: 8/26/2015 8:42:33 PM EDT
[#25]
Mine arrives at the FFL tomorrow I will post a picture once I get it. Now I just need to find a Vortex Sparc II for a good price, or maybe a strikefire
Link Posted: 8/27/2015 9:42:07 PM EDT
[#26]
I would love to be able to talk you out of a PS90, they are not a very practical gun ever since the government limited the supply of the really good ammo for them IMO. That being said, I can't come up with a reason for you not to buy one. The PS90 is simply to much fun and currently they are cheap and magazines are plentiful and also cheap. I bought my tri-rail in '08 when the pricing was at its height for both the mags and the gun, and the ammo pricing was very reasonable. They are a great "girlfriend" gun. I have taken several "future ex-wife candidates" out shooting, many for the first time, and they always love shooting it. It is ambidextrous, light recoiling and compact. Many of the women that I have taken out shooting do not have to struggle to try and hold it up like they do other guns. My only problem with the PS90 is that once you insert a magazine into it, you will shoot a full box of ammo, there just doesn't seem to be a way around it. Also reloading the 5.7 is a serious pain in the ass, I am still trying to get my loading technique down for it. Luckily when I bought mine I bought 6000 rounds of ammo for when it was relatively cheap. Back then you could buy 5.7 in bulk for about $16 a box if you shopped around for it and could easily find it for $18 a box if you were buying a box at time. Only problem now is that I am running low on that ammo and now have to either buy more or get my reloads perfected for reliability. Just Sayin'...
Link Posted: 8/27/2015 11:56:52 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

what role did it have in that shooting??

ETA:  I guess hASSan used one.  

I am thinking about this...
Link Posted: 8/28/2015 1:54:40 AM EDT
[#28]
Someone had a full auto version at a machine gun shoot I went to.

I was shooting a g36 suppressed...

What stood out to me and the more I thought about it I was in awe; When he shot that weapon, every damn round hit the steel plate.... Ting ting ting ting ting ting ting.....

The g36 maybe a couple of rounds hit the plate when I opened up with it.

If I could own a full auto version I would be all about it. With that long barrel and semi... Not so much.
Link Posted: 8/28/2015 10:05:03 AM EDT
[#29]
Too bad the registration is the receiver and not the trigger group.  Someday might become an LOE just so I can legally possess (not really own) new full auto stuff.  wheels turning...  Sad that the full auto version probably cost considerably more, even for the few who can purchase it.
Link Posted: 8/28/2015 2:39:00 PM EDT
[#30]

Quoted:

Too bad the registration is the receiver and not the trigger group.  Someday might become an LOE just so I can legally possess (not really own) new full auto stuff.  wheels turning...  Sad that the full auto version probably cost considerably more, even for the few who can purchase it.
View Quote
The select-fire version really isn't much more money. The best way to have new full autos is to get a 01/03 or 07/02 SOT FFL business, unless you happen to be the chief LEO of a small agency with not much possibility of leaving that position until retirement.

I'm a LE armorer, and I work with an officer who used to be THE CHIEF and sole employee of a village police department. He could've kept the position for life probably. It didn't pay much, but had I been in his position, I'd have found another job to support my habit.  I told him, "Man, if I was you, the stuff I would buy..." lol

P90's are a lot of fun to shoot, but yeah the reloads are cumbersome even with practice. Suppressed it's a blast! Of course it's always easier to hit CQB targets with a SMG vs an assault rifle, but they bring less energy to the party.

I agree about the restricted ammo situation being a big downer for civilian use and ownership.
Link Posted: 8/28/2015 11:53:12 PM EDT
[#31]
Finally got my PS90. Now hopefully FNH will send me the extra mags lets see if the promotion works.

Link Posted: 8/30/2015 3:40:35 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
I would love to be able to talk you out of a PS90, they are not a very practical gun ever since the government limited the supply of the really good ammo for them IMO. That being said, I can't come up with a reason for you not to buy one. The PS90 is simply to much fun and currently they are cheap and magazines are plentiful and also cheap. I bought my tri-rail in '08 when the pricing was at its height for both the mags and the gun, and the ammo pricing was very reasonable. They are a great "girlfriend" gun. I have taken several "future ex-wife candidates" out shooting, many for the first time, and they always love shooting it. It is ambidextrous, light recoiling and compact. Many of the women that I have taken out shooting do not have to struggle to try and hold it up like they do other guns. My only problem with the PS90 is that once you insert a magazine into it, you will shoot a full box of ammo, there just doesn't seem to be a way around it. Also reloading the 5.7 is a serious pain in the ass, I am still trying to get my loading technique down for it. Luckily when I bought mine I bought 6000 rounds of ammo for when it was relatively cheap. Back then you could buy 5.7 in bulk for about $16 a box if you shopped around for it and could easily find it for $18 a box if you were buying a box at time. Only problem now is that I am running low on that ammo and now have to either buy more or get my reloads perfected for reliability. Just Sayin'...
View Quote

About sums it up...

Except, of course, that PSA currently has the FN SS197 for $16.99/box...

Forrest

Link Posted: 9/3/2015 1:26:55 AM EDT
[#33]
I will start of by saying a BIG thanks to this thread and ftierson which pointed me to the $16.99 / box FN ammo on PSA!!  Ordered some more today.  

Ok, after reading this thread I decided to share my thoughts and experiences with my PS90 so far.
I bought my PS90 about 6 months ago before the FN mag promotion but I think I got mine for like $1050 and bought 5 more factory 50rd FN mags for $21.00 each from US Tactical Supply.
So over all not too bad of a price.
I have wanted a PS90 ever since they came out but never got myself to buy one.
I had a MSAR which I really liked and always shot great but decided to let it go and picked up a PS90 for a fun gun.
I decided I wanted one of the Factory ring sights so I bought a used White ring sight off Gunbroker.
It was ok but wasn't a fan of the white reticle.  It did have a REM T3 illuminator added to it which made it much more user freindly but still not a fan of the white ring.
So I sold the white ring and found a used Black ring sight.  Really like it, also added to REM T3 illuminator which made it even better (PS, Chris from M1Bullpup was a great guy to deal with).
If you have a white ring or a black ring sight I highly recommend adding one of the T3 illuminators to it, really adds to the sight.

I do like the idea of a real reticle so I am not worried about losing my sight if the batteries die.
After playing a little with the ring sights which seems solidly built, I just didn't like the small field of view, especially for a 1X optic.
So on to my third sight.

I had a Leupold Prismatic sight laying around so I make shift taped it to my PS90 and realized it had about twice the field of view as the ring sight.
This was great, still a real etched glass reticle with an illuminator (although the illuminator for a Prismatic isn't daytime bright like the REM T3 or a red dot sight but still good in low light).
The windage and elevation adjustments seem easier than the ring sights since they are like any regular scope adjustments.
I just needed to find a good way to mount it.
So I searched the internet and it seemed most PS90 optics rails are too high especially when mounting an optic to it.
But I ran across the TROS Aimpoint ultra low mount which is a mount that replaces the factory rail with a block which is slotted for an ARMS 22M68 30mm ring.
Since I have some ARMS mounts I noticed the slotted rail for the 30mm ring is the same width as the slot on the bottom of the Leupold Prismatic mount.
So I ordered one of the mounts for $110 from TROSUSA.com.  I tried to get them to sell me just the block without the 30mm ring part but they wouldn't so I bought the whole mount and took the ring off the top.
Since the hole spacing on the Prismatic was shorter than the ARMS 22M68 ring I did have to drill one more hole in the TROS mount but this was easily done with a drill press.
The Leupold Prismatic come with diffetn height spacers and I found one of the thin spacers put it at the perfect height for my cheekwled on the PS90.
I am very happy with this sight set up as it is what I wanted the ring sight to be but with a much better field of view.
Now I haven't gotten out to shot it with the Leupold Prismatic mounted yet but just playing with it at home it is great.  

Then to top things off, I have been looking for a more discreet carry case for it for a while.   I have no need or desire to walk around in town with a discreetly packed rifle, but I do live in a Townhouse community and I don't like to advertise that I have guns when going to and from the truck with them.  So I notice some people using Tennis racquet cases and even one that is made for rifles.
I ran across a cool one at my local sporting goods store I thought I would share with you.
It is a Wilson sling Tennis racquet case.  It is fairly thin, bright RED with "Wilson" and some signature on it which I think makes it look like anything but a rifle case.
It is tear dropped shaped with a sling for very good cross shoulder carry.  It has one outer pocket for extra stuff which I have 4 extra mags in but could hold more.
The main compartment is perfect for a PS90 although a little thin on the foam as compared to most rifle cases.  So I cut an extra piece of foam to put in the main compartment under the rifle.
This case is very comfortable to wear and I am happy!!  

Now after all my blabbering here are some photos for your enjoyment!!  

Link Posted: 9/4/2015 12:40:03 AM EDT
[#34]
Nice.

But the PS90 MUST be SBR'd.  It's definitely worth the cost of cutting down the barrel and getting the stamp.  Here's mine with the TROS low profile sight rail, QD rail from damage industries and a custom sling mount and case collector that I got off of Ebay.

Link Posted: 9/4/2015 9:41:31 AM EDT
[#35]
Reading this thread is painful, the PS90 I ordered on 08/24 STILL hasn't shipped from High Plains Gun Shop even though they have received my dealer's FFL.  I seriously hope I didn't buy that ammunition only to be told OOS no backorder.
Link Posted: 9/4/2015 1:12:34 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
Reading this thread is painful, the PS90 I ordered on 08/24 STILL hasn't shipped from High Plains Gun Shop even though they have received my dealer's FFL.  I seriously hope I didn't buy that ammunition only to be told OOS no backorder.
View Quote

Give them a call or send them an email asking about the status of your order.  Mine shipped 3 days after ordering and their email followup was very good.  Just ask them for a status update and let us know what they said.
Link Posted: 9/4/2015 1:29:22 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

View Quote

agreed. get it. if you get sick of it, ill buy it
Link Posted: 9/5/2015 1:00:19 AM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
View Quote

Give them a call.  They don't seem to be very prompt.
Link Posted: 9/5/2015 8:39:55 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

It shipped yesterday thank goodness, I can't wait to get it!
Link Posted: 9/6/2015 12:25:25 AM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Just in time for the holiday weekend...

Forrest

Link Posted: 9/7/2015 7:14:43 PM EDT
[#41]
Has anyone received their mags from FNH yet or at least been given some type of notice?

I submitted the information through their website but I haven't heard anything yet not even a confirmation that they received the information.
Link Posted: 9/8/2015 2:09:27 PM EDT
[#42]
I really like mine.

Link Posted: 9/8/2015 3:42:28 PM EDT
[#43]
I bought a ps90 with the factory mrds red dot sight and have never taken it out, like the gun but just lost interest.
Link Posted: 9/10/2015 12:52:48 PM EDT
[#44]
I got to pick mine up today, what a fantastic little gun.  It points like it is an extension of the shooter's arm!  The three additional mags were accidentally left out of the order but High Plains has already responded to my email and said they would be sending them to me directly.  I just registered the gun on the FNH website for the rebate mags as well.  Damn good deal for the gun and what will be nine magazines for it.  I nearly bought one in 2009 for like $1700, glad I waited  I cannot wait to shoot this little beauty!

ETA:  I already have tracking on the missing mags from HPGS, they took care of that FAST!
Link Posted: 9/10/2015 1:19:42 PM EDT
[#45]
You know...

Earlier I posted the PS90 seemed too heavy for what it does, ---even being a fan of the 5-7, we use as tools everyday in the mtns.

The other day I had the opportunity to reconsider and handle a PS90, and I have to take back what I posted earlier.

It wasn't as heavy as I remembered, is extremely handy and can project a lot of firepower for its size.

I was tempted to buy a couple, but because I don't want to dilute my attention resources to 'new' platforms, will stick with lightweight AR's for the 'larger tools' for our applications ---that the '90 would also work.

I can't fault anyone for buying a PS90 tho, in light of yesterday's evaluation.

Link Posted: 9/12/2015 3:52:35 PM EDT
[#46]
Strange!  Though I enjoy my PS-90, (and I recognize it's limitations), my biggest pleasure seems to be watching old Stargate SG-1 and Stargate Atlantis re-runs.

Yet, I have no desire to purchase a Beretta pistol.

I agree with reasons already mentioned.  Both the PS-90 and the FiveseveN pistol are great for those who might be unable to use heavier, or more powerful arms.

Both are extremely reliable.

Terminal effectiveness seems to be the only liability. Still, as Jeff Cooper has pointed out, placement is more important than power.
Link Posted: 9/13/2015 8:19:00 AM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:

View Quote

+1
Link Posted: 10/7/2015 7:42:31 PM EDT
[#48]
Anyone received there mags from FNH yet? I haven't heard anything from them since I submitted.
Link Posted: 10/8/2015 1:16:41 AM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
Anyone received there mags from FNH yet? I haven't heard anything from them since I submitted.
View Quote

Nope not yet, submitted the registration 09/10/15.  The email said six to eight weeks so I'll probably wait 12ish before I email and ask them.
Link Posted: 10/8/2015 8:37:13 AM EDT
[#50]
In 2008/2009 FN had a similar thing going, I had to wait a couple months before my stuff showed up. I sent in the form, there was not contact, then a few months later the items arrived.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top