Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 4/25/2009 6:57:53 AM EDT
My camara isn't the greatest.  Sometimes it's blurry sometimes it's not, but I snapped a few close up pics of my TPD AXR.  I also took a few of the Steyr AUG.  
I threw in a couple family photos just for fun.

I did not shoot the AUG I took pics of, but I did shoot a friends.  As far a function and other shooting related observations there is not much difference between the two guns.

The major operational difference between the two is the mag release or bolt release above the mag.  This comes down to personal preference.

The AXR is much faster to change the mag, but you then have to run the charging handle.  It takes a little getting used to as the charging handle stays in the forward position when the bolt locks to the rear.  When you grab it to bring it rearward to release the bolt there is zero resistance for about 3 inches untill it contacts the rod on the BCG (I don't know exactly what to call it).

One other advantage to the mag release above the mag is that it allows me to change my duct taped together mags very very quickly.  I am a firm believer in the "In or on the gun" theory and I like having two mags on the gun.  If I try to use the mag release on the bottom of the stock this is much more slow and cumbersome.

The AUG on the other hand is a little slower on the mag change and a little more akward, but not much.  When it comes down to loading a new mag and releasing the bolt both guns take the same amount of time to get the first shot back on target.  I did not use a shot timer.  These are just my own observations.

I like the placement of the accessory rail better on the Steyr.  You will see in one of the pics of my AXR I am only able to use mounting screw on my cheapy light mount.  If I didn'tt have the MBUS I don't think it would be a problem.  The Steyr rail placement also makes it just a little easier to activate my light.  I do this with the thumb of my shooting hand.

Note the Trigger Tamer installed on the AXR.  As far a stock triggers go the AXR seemed much heavier then the Steyr. They should be very close to the same weight but for some reason the AXR felt heavier.  The Tamer makes a huge difference and is well worth the money.

Bottom line the are both great firearms.

Update #2
Added pics of AXR.
I am going to try to group the photos of like parts together for easier comparison, but I am having a problem with the editor that makes it impossible.  

Update #3
I grouped the photos by component.  It takes too much time to do comparison shots like I did with the recievers.  If there is overwellming demand or if it gets stickied or something I will do it.
I also added my observations above.

For ease of identification:

Black Dllo = Steyr AUG A3

Green Dillo = TPD AXR

Comparison of AUG and AXR recievers.

TPD AXR Reciever:

Barrels:

BCG:

Hammer Packs

Stocks

Link Posted: 4/25/2009 9:50:42 AM EDT
[#1]
Thanks!  You rock!

Does your camera have a macro mode?  Should be a button or a setting with a pictogram of a flower.

Link Posted: 4/25/2009 9:59:28 AM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
Thanks!  You rock!

Does your camera have a macro mode?  Should be a button or a setting with a pictogram of a flower.

http://www.steves-digicams.com/2003_reviews/nikonsq/sq_macro_button.jpg

It's got a macro, but it's auto focus is messed up.  I will try to use manual focus when I strip the AUG down and try to retake some of the blurry pics above..

Link Posted: 4/25/2009 10:07:33 AM EDT
[#3]
I've seen some pics of the underside of the A3 receiver.  Doesn't look a thing like the old receivers, or the AXR.  It's like they said, "Screw it, no one looks at the underside anyway, no sense making it more complicated than it needs to be."  Kent went to a lot of pains keeping his receiver true to the original, but I'd wager that he could simplify it and eliminate a lot of machining steps.  Someone would probably cry that it wasn't "spec" though.

Thanks for the pics.  Keep 'em coming.
Link Posted: 4/25/2009 10:22:49 AM EDT
[#4]
I just noticed something:

See it?  On one receiver you can see the rail mount dovetail on the front.  On yours, they've hidden it.
Link Posted: 4/25/2009 12:36:38 PM EDT
[#5]
very cool

what BUIS are you using on your aug a3?
Link Posted: 4/25/2009 12:37:59 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
very cool

Magpul MBUS

Link Posted: 4/25/2009 1:08:54 PM EDT
[#7]
Magpul MBUS are kind of bulky. More height and greater length than most BUIS.

Link Posted: 4/25/2009 1:13:57 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Quoted:
very cool

Magpul MBUS

where'd you buy em from? i was looking around my town and nobody sells them yet
Link Posted: 4/25/2009 1:18:55 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Magpul MBUS are kind of bulky. More height and greater length than most BUIS.

True, but you can't complain about the price and they are good enough for my application.  

Is there a good way to adjust the front sight with any tools I have in my shop or do I need a special tool?

By the way I preordered them.

Link Posted: 4/28/2009 12:44:36 PM EDT
[#10]
I added more pics.

Enjoy.
Link Posted: 4/28/2009 1:21:19 PM EDT
[#11]
nice update!

why do you have to sell your aug a3?

ETA: i might be interested in it if you decide to sell it
Link Posted: 4/29/2009 2:51:44 AM EDT
[#12]
I think the AUG is head and tails better looking than the TPD. All the extra machining on the TPD looks cheapish to me and lacks the "finished" look of the Saber. Flame if you want but I have looked at both and bought the Steyr. No argument on my part just my opinion.
Link Posted: 4/29/2009 5:33:28 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
I think the AUG is head and tails better looking than the TPD. All the extra machining on the TPD looks cheapish to me and lacks the "finished" look of the Saber. Flame if you want but I have looked at both and bought the Steyr. No argument on my part just my opinion.

I noticed that too.  It looks as TPD did a lot of lightning cuts on the receiver, but they look like someone just got fancy with a dremel tool.  
Link Posted: 4/29/2009 6:21:35 AM EDT
[#14]
I must say I was very impressed with the Styer reciever.  I have read all over that the "fit and finish" was somewhat lacking.  I must say this is not the case. It is fine craftsmanship.

As far as the AXR, it isn't as sleek and sexy as the AUG.  But the machining marks do have a certian appeal, esspecialy to shop monkies like me.

So.......who is going to strip down thier MSAR and break out the digi?
Link Posted: 4/29/2009 7:32:16 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Quoted:

I noticed that too.  It looks as TPD did a lot of lightning cuts on the receiver, but they look like someone just got fancy with a dremel tool.  

There is one small difference over looked here, The TPD AXR is cut from 3" round solid billet 7075 AL, the Steyr is a casting...those are tool paths not lightening cuts.  

...a Dremel is not used...

Just helping the community to better understand TPD and the AXR rifle
Link Posted: 4/29/2009 8:44:31 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

It isn't extra machining––it's TOTAL machining.  It's a billet receiver, not cast like Steyr and MSAR.  As someone who has been around CNC machines I am floored at the complexity of the AXR receiver and what TPD has been able to pull off.  There's a lot of hard work there.

Billet AR-15 receivers from Sun Devil, MagPul, et al. are quite desirable and command a higher price than standard forged receivers.  It's amazing that TPD is able to offer the AXR at its current price, which is under that of the new Steyr which uses a cast receiver.
Link Posted: 4/29/2009 10:10:35 AM EDT
[#17]
Well, we're really talking about minor differences once we get this high up in quality aren't we? I mean while I do feel that the TPD AXR receiver is the standard right now and hard to beat with it being solid billet 7075 I've got to say that the Steyr receiver is going to get the job done just as well and doesn't look that bad to me.

I still have to give TPD the edge receiver wise over the AUG A3 and STG and everyone knows here how much I like my STG.  Would it drive me to spend more money? No, but let's say that all three rifles had the same exact features and the same exact price with only different receivers I'd go with the AXR.

Link Posted: 4/29/2009 7:36:15 PM EDT
[#18]
Man, am I glad I didn't wait for the A3.  What a POS next to the TPD.  What happened to the machined receiver in the A3?  Thought that was one of their selling points.
Link Posted: 4/29/2009 9:12:50 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
Quoted:

You obviously know nothing about machining or metal.  
Link Posted: 4/29/2009 9:16:10 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

That finished look you like is called cast metal.  Coming from an automotive racing and manufacturing background billet is where it is at for strength and superior performance. I guess this is why people voted for Obama though b/c of a lack of knowledge mixed with emotions over actually knowing something and facts.
Link Posted: 4/29/2009 9:27:23 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
Quoted:

That finished look you like is called cast metal.  Coming from an automotive racing and manufacturing background billet is where it is at for strength and superior performance. I guess this is why people voted for Obama though b/c of a lack of knowledge mixed with emotions over actually knowing something and facts.

lets not throw insults at people..

it was his opinion.. everyone can have one
Link Posted: 4/29/2009 10:38:58 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

lets not throw insults at people..

it was his opinion.. everyone can have one

Yeah, some folks just don't understand the physical difference.  They see a couple tool-paths on the underside of the receiver and assume that it's inferior.  No reason to call someone an Obama supporter over that.  That's like spitting in someone's face for Pete's sake.  
Link Posted: 4/30/2009 6:01:35 AM EDT
[#23]
The question is, does a receiver NEED to be billet?  

Sure it's stronger, but is it needed for a receiver?  Seems the cast ones work just fine.
Link Posted: 4/30/2009 7:53:26 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

Sure it's stronger, but is it needed for a receiver?  Seems the cast ones work just fine.

There are AUGs that have seen 50,000 rounds out there that have little to no wear on the receiver.  The AUG does not "need" a billet receiver.  However, just about every high end, high dollar, motorcycle part made in the last 15 years was made out of billet.  Did  the bikes need those parts to be made out of billet?  No, but the people that owned them were proud because they had something made out of "billet".  People that have no idea what billet is like billet.  If billet makes someone want to buy a product, and be proud of their purchase, then they needed a billet receiver!
There are three great companies making bullpups like the ones they used to make in Austria and they will all last a very long time with heavy use!

Dave Robertson
MSAR
Link Posted: 4/30/2009 9:04:33 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
Quoted:

There are AUGs that have seen 50,000 rounds out there that have little to no wear on the receiver.  The AUG does not "need" a billet receiver.  However, just about every high end, high dollar, motorcycle part made in the last 15 years was made out of billet.  Did  the bikes need those parts to be made out of billet?  No, but the people that owned them were proud because they had something made out of "billet".  People that have no idea what billet is like billet.  If billet makes someone want to buy a product, and be proud of their purchase, then they needed a billet receiver!
There are three great companies making bullpups like the ones they used to make in Austria and they will all last a very long time with heavy use!

Dave Robertson
MSAR

There's nothing wrong with a cast AUG receiver, since it was once all you could have.  Essential Arms used to make a cast AR receiver.  There are still a lot of those out there.  I'm not a "gotta have the best" kind of guy, but the fact that I could be like Burger King and "have it my way" with the AXR being milled, taking AR mags, AND being cheaper than the new Steyr, I'm pretty happy.  
Link Posted: 4/30/2009 9:43:21 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Dave Robertson
MSAR

There's nothing wrong with a cast AUG receiver, since it was once all you could have.  Essential Arms used to make a cast AR receiver.  There are still a lot of those out there.  I'm not a "gotta have the best" kind of guy, but the fact that I could be like Burger King and "have it my way" with the AXR being milled, taking AR mags, AND being cheaper than the new Steyr, I'm pretty happy.  

Word

(Worthless post to try to get this thing to page 2.  It may not be dial-up but my internets suck)

Link Posted: 4/30/2009 11:03:10 AM EDT
[#27]
Someone should make an AUG receiver out of polymer with metal reinforcements ala Glock and Cav Arms AR receivers.  Imagine the weight and cost reduction.  
Link Posted: 4/30/2009 11:34:38 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

No.

It's a "oh that's nice" feature though to have a receiver that is billet.

It's a plus in the TPD AXR category when you're comparing it to the A3 or the STG, but to some people it's going to be more of a positive than it is to others.

I knew all about the AXR's receiver when it came time to purchase a new rifle and the other features that the STG has over the AXR took me in that direction, because those features were more important for me to have than a billet receiver and I know I'm in the minority here, but I'm not a fan of the AR magazine.  The whole reason I have not purchased an AUG A3 is that I don't see much of a difference between it and the earlier A1 and A2 to justify the expense right now.  The A3's receiver is one of only a few upgrades that has been made to the A3 and for me I'm not going to buy a weapon just to have every model a company produces no matter how much I like that company unless I feel it really gives me something that I don't already have. I had hoped that the updates with the A3 were going to be much more substantial with the last twenty years behind them since one was sold here in the United States.  That said I fully understand the expense they were already facing with bringing the rifle to market and believe it to be a good rifle.

Link Posted: 4/30/2009 3:33:32 PM EDT
[#29]
[

.  They see a couple tool-paths on the underside of the receiver and assume that it's inferior

Better take a close look , there are "tool paths " all over  the exterior also.

Link Posted: 4/30/2009 3:44:03 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
[

.  They see a couple tool-paths on the underside of the receiver and assume that it's inferior

No sir, not "all over" the exterior.  The exposed portions of the receiver are smooth.  This pic does a good job illustrating this:

You can see some tooling marks at the front of both receivers.
Link Posted: 4/30/2009 3:47:14 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

There is one small difference over looked here, The TPD AXR is cut from 3" round solid billet 7075 AL, the Steyr is a casting...those are tool paths not lightening cuts.  

Sorry if i sound like a dick head but machined from billet doesnt have to look like it, isnt there a finishing porcess to clean those tool paths  up ?  At least on the outside ?  

Link Posted: 4/30/2009 3:50:25 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Sorry if i sound like a dick head but machined from billet doesnt have to look like it, isnt there a finishing porcess to clean those tool paths  up ?  At least on the outside ?  

We left it that way purposefully so there would be no confusion.  As time permits and people come to know it is billet we will begin refining it.

Link Posted: 4/30/2009 4:08:03 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
Quoted:
[

No sir, not "all over" the exterior.  The exposed portions of the receiver are smooth.  This pic does a good job illustrating this:

http://i237.photobucket.com/albums/ff105/AfterWork_Ninja/DSCN2669.jpg

Look

http://i237.photobucket.com/albums/ff105/AfterWork_Ninja/DSCN2632.jpg

Link Posted: 4/30/2009 4:25:24 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

We left it that way purposefully so there would be no confusion.  As time permits and people come to know it is billet we will begin refining it.

Id rather have a beautiful looking reciever and just take your word that its billet.    
Link Posted: 4/30/2009 4:33:26 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
[

http://i237.photobucket.com/albums/ff105/AfterWork_Ninja/DSCN2669.jpg

Look

http://i237.photobucket.com/albums/ff105/AfterWork_Ninja/DSCN2632.jpg

That area is inside the stock when the rifle is assembled; not exposed.  The exposed flats and rounds are very smooth.
Link Posted: 4/30/2009 4:34:35 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

I was simply trying to address the difference in appearance, whether you feel it is better or necessary is up to the individual.  We have never stated one way or the other if the AXR is "better", than "any" other rifle, that is again totally up to the individual.

Link Posted: 4/30/2009 4:59:45 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
Man, am I glad I didn't wait for the A3.  What a POS next to the TPD.  What happened to the machined receiver in the A3?  Thought that was one of their selling points.

Why do you go and say stuff like this?? I own the TPD but this is just looking to get people riled up!!!

Link Posted: 4/30/2009 5:03:47 PM EDT
[#38]
Might I ask the OP why you just have the TPD Receiver?? Also, when did you get it. My AXR showed up with serial number 0100 which was kind of cool. I noticed yours was 0111.
Link Posted: 4/30/2009 5:07:13 PM EDT
[#39]
As far as the machining marks I could care less I think they look "cool," but I get a kick out of that sort of thing.  I would love to watch the machine cut them.  After examining both of them very closely they are both great examples of exellent manufacturing standards.  I am sure the MSAR is well constructed too.

The billet reciever is not the reason I'm keeping the AXR and the cast reciever is not the reason I am selling the Styer.  Each has features that appeal to different folks.

I would really like to see a few pics of the MSAR.  Who has one that is willing to take some photos.
Link Posted: 4/30/2009 5:15:04 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
Might I ask the OP why you just have the TPD Receiver?? Also, when did you get it. My AXR showed up with serial number 0100 which was kind of cool. I noticed yours was 0111.

ETA: I got it last week

I am a worrier and watch too much FOX News.  When the mass shootings were happening every day I talked Kent into shipping me the serialized part so I could fill out a yellow form and it would be mine.  I still have to ship it back for final assembly.  I did not want to advertise it so Kent's phone wouldn't ring off the hook with people wanting their receivers, but it is a testament to TPD's excellent customer service as well as thier craftsmanship (as much as I have seen so far).

Kent and Dave are great guys to work with.

Link Posted: 4/30/2009 7:42:25 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Why do you go and say stuff like this?? I own the TPD but this is just looking to get people riled up!!!

Just how I feel.  I am just amazed how little care Sabre has taken to make their product.  You have eyes, do you think there is really any difference visually between the A3 finish  and the STG except for a lot of money spent by the buyer?  The TPD is the quality product but the other two are excellent  too.  It is just that if you had to chose between an A3 Sabre and an STG you would be money ahead with the STG.  If you want a really quality product pay a little more for a AXR but still less than an A3.
Link Posted: 5/1/2009 12:24:21 AM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
Quoted:

I was simply trying to address the difference in appearance, whether you feel it is better or necessary is up to the individual.  We have never stated one way or the other if the AXR is "better", than "any" other rifle, that is again totally up to the individual.

soooo... uh... how are those left handed TPD AXR's coming?
Link Posted: 5/1/2009 4:15:34 AM EDT
[#43]
Kent, how about that 22LR conversion? A bunch of us Steyr, MSAR and AXR guys have the money in our hands just waiting.
Link Posted: 5/1/2009 5:56:04 AM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Dave Robertson
MSAR

You are thinking dress up parts like brackets and stuff.  Some parts need to be billet and some do not.  For some examples of where cast won't cut it - You can't run 60 pounds of boost through a race engine that has cast internals.  You can't make a transfer case housing for a serious rock crawler out of cast aluminum.  Same thing for a high end race grearbox and on an on. Billet parts are used b/c cast ones do not work in these scenarios.  Not implying that is the case on a firearm receiver, just pointing out that a billet battery bracket isn't the same as a billet race engine. One is needed one is for show. This is why they are more expensive because they are more to make.
Link Posted: 5/1/2009 2:37:38 PM EDT
[#45]
IT SEEMS TO ME THAT IF IT WAS A HIGH STRESS AREA THEN WHY NOT MAKE IT FROM STAINLESS STEEL.50,000RDS. SEEMS LIKE A PRETTY GOOD TEST TO ME. CAST OR BILLIT AS LONG AS IT WORKS.
Link Posted: 5/1/2009 3:49:55 PM EDT
[#46]
I've beat the hell out of my AUG and it's got a cast receiver that's not as nice as the STG/A3/AXR receivers and it's doing just fine.

Don't know if that matters to anyone, but I've seen some high round count AUGs in the past ten years that were holding up rather well receiver wise outside of wear on the finish. Seen some receiver charging channel wear along the edges and what not, but they were still feeding, firing, and ejecting just fine.

Link Posted: 5/1/2009 7:21:12 PM EDT
[#47]
I worked in a aluminum smelting plant for many years before becoming an electrician. From aluminum production to cast house and foundry work where the billet logs were cast. Doesn't make me an expert on aluminum of course but IMHO I'd be less concerned about cast or machined than the type and quality of the aluminum used to produce the product. I'd be more concerned about high iron aluminum or some of the other things that influence integrity, slipping through the quality control process.  

A machined receiver is going to be more durable no doubt.  Will the average person see this advantage? Maybe not. To me it was one of the features that attracted me to the AXR though. I like that this extra mile was traveled and was happy to pay for it. I know for a fact TPD puts alot of effort into making a quality product and so does Microtech and Sabre Defense.

Machine marks? Do you think those guys are going to polish every tool mark out of these rifles? Ever seen a Galil? Heck it has so many tool marks it looks like someone made it with a grinder but man I love that rifle.  I wouldn't trade mine for an AUG, STG or AXR. (And I love my AXR) lol!

Dave Robertson made an important statement earlier....

"There are three great companies making bullpups like the ones they used to make in Austria and they will all last a very long time with heavy use!"

Well said. Hopefully they will be available for a long time to come because I wouldn't mind owning one of each.  
Link Posted: 5/2/2009 4:04:30 AM EDT
[#48]
Damn that AXR receiver is beautiful. Mono rail ta boot. Awesome. Fellow XCR operator I see as well. AUG wise I went with MSAR. Very happy but I'm also smitten by the AXR.
Link Posted: 5/3/2009 5:29:55 AM EDT
[#49]
Hello all,

I have been a fan of the AUG type bullpup rifles for a while, but have held off buying one, because I cannot settle on which one. Can people who actually own and shoot these give me some feedback.
I am torn between the New AUG A3 and the AXR, though have not discounted the MSAR either.

Here are some of the things I am looking at (impressions ONLY, not personal experience, that's why I would like more opinions)
One thing that had kept me to the AXR or AUG is the ability to accept AR mags as I have a lot of those including a Beta-C mag, lancer etc. that I would love to be able to use. I know I have to get a conversion stock for the AUG A3, but it's available, unline the MSAR.

Steyr AUG - good - the original, lots of accessories, from the pics nice finish on all parts, nice starting package, nice long rail for optics and BUIS
                    bad - cost, the cast receiever (I'm not sure it makes that much of a difference to me),

TDP AXR Good - built to accept AR mags, the billet receiver, cost
              Bad - Cannot use steel cased ammo or reloads without voiding warranty, short rail comparatively, ejection issues per this site : http://www.civiliantacticalweapons.com/index.php?option=com_seyret&task=videodirectlink&Itemid=27&id=44
Here is where I want feedback. Is the gun these guys had the problems with a fluke ? Does the AXR accept all AUG components such as a trigger tamer pack ?

MSAR - good - cost, reliability, last round hold open
            bad  -does not use AR mags nor is there a stock conversion for it that I could find, AR style forward assist (not a fan)

OK.. So any thoughts ?
Would really appreciate any input and if anyone in the DFW area has one of these and would not mind me trying it out, that would be great ! Thanks in advance
Link Posted: 5/3/2009 8:20:48 AM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Correct me if I'm wrong Kent, but didn't you actually ask for feedback on the tooling marks during the first run? I seem to remember you kicking it back to the buyers to decide how the receiver would look "finished". I for one like the tooling marks and told Kent to keep them before they started in the SE packages.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top