Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 8/11/2017 4:53:58 PM EDT
What are you guys using to clean your loading blocks?  I've been using RCBS spray lube and haven't cleaned the blocks in a while now and the are getting very sticky.  I have them soaking in hot water with dawn dishwashing liquid and vinegar and it does not seem to be cutting it.  What is your go to cleaner?

ETA:  These are the red MTM universal blocks.
Link Posted: 8/11/2017 5:30:11 PM EDT
[#1]
Wow. Usually dishwashing detergent does it for me. Maybe try a little stronger degreaser like Purple Powder.

I'd avoid the temptation to use anything much stronger. It may eat the plastic.

Motor
Link Posted: 8/11/2017 6:12:42 PM EDT
[#2]
I just let them stay in the bucket and soak a little longer.  They are much better, but I'll wait til they're dry and see what they're like.
Link Posted: 8/11/2017 10:25:24 PM EDT
[#3]
I put some dawn on them, let them soak overnight with the dawn, then throw in a bucket of hot water, take them out and run them through the dishwasher, take them out and let them airdry before the heating cycle comes on.
Link Posted: 8/12/2017 12:59:38 AM EDT
[#4]
My loading blocks don't get lube on them.  I use a ziploc bag or ice cream buckets to lube my brass.  It goes from the lube bag or pail, to the press, into another bag or pail, and then to the tumbler.  By the time the brass is in the loading blocks, there is no lube to speak of.
Link Posted: 8/12/2017 1:25:02 AM EDT
[#5]
Mineral spirits shouldn't hurt any of the common plastics.  It is a very good solvent for oils, greases and waxes.
Link Posted: 8/12/2017 3:25:36 AM EDT
[#6]
9mm/38Special factory containers work great for .223.
.45ACP for .30 cal. Chances are, you throw away good loading blocks.

If the get sticky, throw them away and look in the range garbage can for more.

Have never bought a loading block.
Link Posted: 8/12/2017 2:35:46 PM EDT
[#7]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
9mm/38Special factory containers work great for .223.
.45ACP for .30 cal. Chances are, you throw away good loading blocks.

If the get sticky, throw them away and look in the range garbage can for more.

Have never bought a loading block.
View Quote
Buy a piece of Ultra-high-molecular-weight polyethylene (UHMWPE) and make them.

Well worth the small amount of time.

You can make them to match the cases you reload.
Link Posted: 8/12/2017 10:07:21 PM EDT
[#8]
sonic cleaner.
I thing I'm the only guy left that loves mine.
Link Posted: 8/12/2017 10:54:06 PM EDT
[#9]
They came out pretty clean just soaking them in hot water with some dawn and vinegar.  I do like the idea of using the factory conainers though.
Link Posted: 8/12/2017 11:18:22 PM EDT
[#10]
I made my blocks from strips of red oak

the wax just keeps them from drying out, they don't get cleaned
Link Posted: 8/12/2017 11:23:40 PM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 8/12/2017 11:28:03 PM EDT
[#12]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
My loading blocks don't get lube on them.  I use a ziploc bag or ice cream buckets to lube my brass.  It goes from the lube bag or pail, to the press, into another bag or pail, and then to the tumbler.  By the time the brass is in the loading blocks, there is no lube to speak of.
View Quote
This right here.  Why would you even need to put them in a loading block until you're charging them with powder?
Link Posted: 8/13/2017 1:01:19 AM EDT
[#13]
I run them through the dishwasher a few times a year.
Link Posted: 8/13/2017 10:21:58 PM EDT
[#14]
I use 9mm pistol trays (the kind that come with factory ammunition) to stack .223 cases.  It works great.  I use them for "loading blocks" too.

I have a bunch of .45 trays in plastic, not foam.  I use them extensively as loading blocks or for similar duty.  When they get too cruddy for me to tolerate, they go into the sink with hot water and Dawn, and I swish them around several times.  After that, they sit in the water for a while, letting the Dawn do its thing.  They rinse out nice and clean.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top