Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 12/31/2010 3:06:58 PM EDT
exerted from prior thread......
Originally posted by 1911smith
So by now your thinkin, " Lee Sucks. "

What ever...... There's better options, get your phone out and let your debit card do the talkin. -OR- Your 4 barrel part and Rocket Science part of your brain pan working together to create affordable, creatable solutions. Disks are cheap and easy to modify. Double disks with like holes are very, very accurate. Another thing I'll say because we have a new crop of newbie reloaders. I can afford any press I want. I load with Lee. It's what I started with and I know it works, because I make it work.

Originally posted by 1911smith
Reloaders are an ingenious  crowd by the very nature of their hobby.

Went to reloading closet and grabbed two micro bars. Yes I keep inventory...
Here's a picture underside micro bar.

Trying to stack. Won't work.

Next two pictures are tabs after being trimmed with Dremel and cutting wheel a little at a time.

By removin material a little at a time there is a very snug fit.

Keep your charge bars even for accurate drops.

Yes, that's dirt under my nails. I work for a living.

In fact home today with severe case of burn out. Think I'll go load some 45. See ya.
Link Posted: 12/31/2010 3:41:27 PM EDT
[#1]
Duplicate.
Link Posted: 12/31/2010 3:43:20 PM EDT
[#2]
Did you glue these together or do they stay put once mounted between the hopper and powder measure base?

I always wished Lee would have redesigned the molds to allow stacking of the adj charge bars, it just makes so much sense.
Link Posted: 12/31/2010 4:07:02 PM EDT
[#3]
Have you tried it yet to check for repeatability? Seems it would be but would like to know for sure.

Keep us posted, I like this idea.
Link Posted: 12/31/2010 4:15:15 PM EDT
[#4]
You could glue I guess. What you will need is double disk risers and longer screws. So you'll need to purchase double disk kit. Risers could be home made but for no more than the disk kit costs your better to buy.  I too wish Lee would have thought some things through better. But they didn't, don't, and unwilling to change.  They follow these forums too. Lee absorbs little and glosses over most. I know this to be fact. Call it bull headedness if you want or human nature. Their business and they sell more reloading equipment than any company out there because it's cheap, works and guys work through Lee's problems. Posting solutions in forums. Then Lee's customer service directs you to these sites.

Call it a poor business model. You have a choice as with most anything in life. What you will find is all companies have quirks with equipment. Some companies have less and cost more. Lee has more and costs less. It's because of Lee that a lot of us got an affordable start to reloading.

<add> yes jailer. I will try an post results this evening. How about that ?
Link Posted: 12/31/2010 4:24:48 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Have you tried it yet to check for repeatability? Seems it would be but would like to know for sure.

Keep us posted, I like this idea.

+1

I am very interested to see how it works for you.
Link Posted: 12/31/2010 4:32:10 PM EDT
[#6]
Sounds good 1911smith, thanks.
Link Posted: 12/31/2010 5:05:02 PM EDT
[#7]
Other than is being a bit finicky to get set, it looks like a very workable solution to one of the biggest complaints I've heard ( and experienced) with Lee measures.

As most of my Lee gear has been semi-retired, I may tinker with this idea myself.
Link Posted: 12/31/2010 6:15:48 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
You could glue I guess. What you will need is double disk risers and longer screws. So you'll need to purchase double disk kit. Risers could be home made but for no more than the disk kit costs your better to buy.  I too wish Lee would have thought some things through better. But they didn't, don't, and unwilling to change.  They follow these forums too. Lee absorbs little and glosses over most. I know this to be fact. Call it bull headedness if you want or human nature. Their business and they sell more reloading equipment than any company out there because it's cheap, works and guys work through Lee's problems. Posting solutions in forums. Then Lee's customer service directs you to these sites.

Call it a poor business model. You have a choice as with most anything in life. What you will find is all companies have quirks with equipment. Some companies have less and cost more. Lee has more and costs less. It's because of Lee that a lot of us got an affordable start to reloading.

<add> yes jailer. I will try an post results this evening. How about that ?

I've got the DDK already, but I end up using the disks rather than the adj charge bar whenever I need two cavities to throw my desired weight.  If the charge needed can be accomodated by the adj charge bar, that's what I use, but when I need to double up on disks, that's my only option.  

The main thing I was interested in was developing a system where the deltas between the upper and lower disks are small.  Set up this way, the measure's variances are minimized.  Sometimes you get lucky, but sometimes you have decent sized deltas betwen disks, and that's where two adj charge bars with equal sized cavities stacked would make a whole lot of sense.  

I'm about ready to pick a couple extra disks and drill holes in the sides to insert a set screw to adjust the size of the cavity down, to better match the upper and lower cavities.  Kind of right in line with your comments about working with some Lee equipment, sometimes you have to tinker with it to get it to work exactly how you'd like it to run.  Still, you're absolutely correct, Lee stuff does work and God knows they've gotten a lot of people into reloading.  And the DDK does allow steps down around .2g, so worst case you're only off by one tenth over or under your desired target.  It's probably more of a problem at the upper end of the spectrum, but then you've got the PPM for larger capacity rifle cases.

You should be commended, this is a clever solution.

Link Posted: 1/1/2011 1:06:25 AM EDT
[#9]
After an evening od hunting double disk machine screws that were in front of me. Here it is.

Notice double disk riser. They are a part of double disk kit.

Dialed charge to exactly 24 grains.

Loaded 10 charges.

Looks as if we have a clear drop.

10 charge weights.

Low is 23.90 grains, high is 24.14 for a 0.24 spread.
Link Posted: 1/1/2011 9:28:53 AM EDT
[#10]
Results look good. Did you add a spacer underneath the bottom charge bar?
Link Posted: 1/1/2011 1:49:08 PM EDT
[#11]
No spacers. Only mod made was to tabs on top micro bar. That set up will easily drop 40 plus grains with same results.
Link Posted: 11/9/2012 9:01:58 PM EDT
[#12]
BTT. Note charge weights. I run both Dillon and Hornady measures and at best see results as shown. Disks, including micro bars are cheap. All can be custom tuned to measure powders like 2230. Skim material down by sanding if need be to run riser screws tight. Also, spray teflon is handy for lubricating the disks. Just wait to dry and go.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top