Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 3/24/2010 3:47:18 PM EDT
this first pic shows two mods, the addition of a shellplate thrust bearing, which allows the shellplate to index a lot smoother and lessens powder spillage on short or full cases. The second mod is a compound bend in the ejector wire, this lowers the wire to it original position, allowing positive ejection.

The second mod is a polished powder measure funnel and used with a powder baffle as seen here in a thread by Team Member dryflash3 one can get very consistent metering with all powders. This is a worthwhile mod. I used a Dremel and a Dremel EZ lock 320grit finishing buff to start off, then finish with a Dremel EZ lock cloth polishing wheel and white aluminum polish (in brick form). I also buffed out the raceway for the powderbar as much as possible.

This last mod is for the Lee Universal Decapping Die . I took the decapping pin out of the die and chucked it into a drill, using a flat file (smooth) I formed the cylindrical end into a bullet shaped taper with only a slight shoulder left to help reinforce the decapping pin itself. This die gets a lot of use in my turret press, but when in the XL650 it can cause dinged, dented and mangled case necks as a piece of media or powder can prevent the case from entering the shellplate completely. This taper essentially eliminates the problem and doesn't weaken the decapper.

Link Posted: 3/24/2010 5:11:42 PM EDT
[#1]
I've been wanting to do that to my decapper.  I think it was such a stupid design to have it completely flat on the bottom instead of a taper.  It causes so many cases to hang up upon entering the die.
Link Posted: 3/24/2010 5:23:22 PM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:

I've been wanting to do that to my decapper.  I think it was such a stupid design to have it completely flat on the bottom instead of a taper.  It causes so many cases to hang up upon entering the die.

Like I said, i never really had a problem until I put it in 650, it tears .223 cases up fast...doesn't affect .308 or .45 though.

Link Posted: 3/24/2010 8:06:11 PM EDT
[#3]
Instead of using a universal decapper in the 650, I now use a FL sizing die set to barely contact the case, and with the decapper extended. It ensures that the case is centered.
Link Posted: 3/25/2010 6:41:31 AM EDT
[#4]
Good tips, I need to get off my butt and polish my powder funnels, but I don't have a dremel

Link Posted: 3/25/2010 6:57:16 AM EDT
[#5]
when my new press arrives i think i will just do this as part of the setup
Link Posted: 3/25/2010 7:09:35 AM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

Check out my Cheap XL650 Tips and Tricks post in THIS THREAD.

Link Posted: 3/25/2010 9:17:43 AM EDT
[#7]
thanks costeve, i have been reading some of your post in the reloading forum,i have found them to be quit helpful and well thought out
i ordered my dillon stuff through brian enos,he helped me to set up what i needed.

my plan is to set up to do .223 .308 9mm 40s&w and 45acp, i am just starting back into reloading after about a 20 year hiatus.

i look forward to further discussions with you about are hobbie

Quoted:

Quoted:

Check out my Cheap XL650 Tips and Tricks post in THIS THREAD.

Link Posted: 3/25/2010 6:53:09 PM EDT
[#8]
Great post.

I read about polishing PM's here and tried it myself and posted pics. Thanks for the kind words.

Make a PM adjusting wheel, one of COSteves good ideas.

I use a piece of oak 2 inches in diameter 1/4 inches thick. (Home Depot sells small pieces of oak in the wood section the right thickness)

Drill a hole in the center with a 3/8 bit.

File the hole to fit over the 7/16 hex head of the PM adjusting bolt.

Go slow you want a press fit.

Stain and finish if you wish.
Link Posted: 3/25/2010 6:55:36 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Good tips, I need to get off my butt and polish my powder funnels, but I don't have a dremel

With all the time not spent here, polish by hand.

You mean some of us are ahead of you in tools?

Say it ain't so...
Link Posted: 3/25/2010 11:52:56 PM EDT
[#10]
The thrust bearing really works, they should come from Dillon like this.
Link Posted: 3/26/2010 4:25:08 AM EDT
[#11]
According to Dillon, polishing the powder measure by itself does little to fix a 'bridging' problem with stick powders.  What helps is polishing the throat of each of your powder funnels, the caliber specific part that drops in the powder die before you install the powder measure on top.  I noticed that even with ball powder, it drops more quickly into the case which is something that we all like to keep down on powder spills.

I decided to order the McMaster-Carr thrust bearing and washers.  We'll see if it makes a difference.  As for beveling the shank of the decapping pin, I had rounded the corner of mine but I like your idea of tapering it a lot more so I chucked it up in the drillpress and tapered it some more.
Link Posted: 3/26/2010 5:39:19 AM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Say it ain't so...

I lurk every day.  I don't have any reloading projects going on at the moment so nothing to brag or show off about

I never had the need for a dremel if I bought one just for the powder measure I'd probably never use it again.  I can probably buy the wheels and use them in my electric drill or just borrow a dremel

Link Posted: 3/26/2010 6:33:23 AM EDT
[#13]
Tag for later.

I hope to find some mods to the case feed that prevent jams at the funnel, and some eject station mods...........................

I had to reduce the OD of one of the case guide pins that would hang up on 9mm cases.

Don't rule out that shell plates have been made out of spec.  I had a .38spl that one case index location was off.........
Link Posted: 3/28/2010 1:54:20 AM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Say it ain't so...

I lurk every day.  I don't have any reloading projects going on at the moment so nothing to brag or show off about
 I never had the need for a dremel if I bought one just for the powder measure I'd probably never use it again.  I can probably buy the wheels and use them in my electric drill or just borrow a dremel

you, of all people should own a dremel, AR....you would use it a lot more than you realize. Just don't go fluting any barrels...

Link Posted: 3/28/2010 7:56:43 AM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

Just don't go fluting any barrels...

What ever happened to that kid?  That had to be the biggest butcher job I've ever seen.  Anyone ever hear from him again or did we run him off with all the teasing?

Link Posted: 3/28/2010 12:25:23 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Just don't go fluting any barrels...

What ever happened to that kid?  That had to be the biggest butcher job I've ever seen.  Anyone ever hear from him again or did we run him off with all the teasing?

I'm not sure Steve, that was a trainwreck thread though!

Link Posted: 4/9/2010 9:14:53 AM EDT
[#17]
Just ordered my shellplate thrust set up from McMaster.
 Thanks for the tips!

82nd
Link Posted: 4/9/2010 4:44:22 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
Just ordered my shellplate thrust set up from McMaster.  Thanks for the tips!

82nd

I did last month.

My only wish was a did it years ago..

Oh I trimmed the detent spring one coil at the same time.
Link Posted: 4/9/2010 6:28:06 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

Brasso  works really good.

Scott
Link Posted: 4/9/2010 7:16:53 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
this first pic shows two mods, the addition of a shellplate thrust bearing, which allows the shellplate to index a lot smoother and lessens powder spillage on short or full cases. The second mod is a compound bend in the ejector wire, this lowers the wire to it original position, allowing positive ejection.

http://img153.imageshack.us/img153/5662/p3215135.jpg

The second mod is a polished powder measure funnel and used with a powder baffle as seen here in a thread by Team Member dryflash3 one can get very consistent metering with all powders. This is a worthwhile mod. I used a Dremel and a Dremel EZ lock 320grit finishing buff to start off, then finish with a Dremel EZ lock cloth polishing wheel and white aluminum polish (in brick form). I also buffed out the raceway for the powderbar as much as possible.

http://img149.imageshack.us/img149/5975/p3235139.jpg

This last mod is for the Lee Universal Decapping Die . I took the decapping pin out of the die and chucked it into a drill, using a flat file (smooth) I formed the cylindrical end into a bullet shaped taper with only a slight shoulder left to help reinforce the decapping pin itself. This die gets a lot of use in my turret press, but when in the XL650 it can cause dinged, dented and mangled case necks as a piece of media or powder can prevent the case from entering the shellplate completely. This taper essentially eliminates the problem and doesn't weaken the decapper.

http://img717.imageshack.us/img717/692/p3215131.jpg  

My 650 hasn't been that clean since it came out of the box.
Top Top