Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 3/22/2010 3:15:47 AM EDT
A can, any can with a lid.

Smear the inside, top, and bottom lightly with Imperial Wax. A little goes a long, long way.

I usually will do 200 cases at a time but if you wanted to be true to the coffee can label it will easily coat 240 cases and cover each one better than if by hand.
Posted for Gateway.
Link Posted: 3/22/2010 8:01:04 AM EDT
[#1]
Any one ever try mixing imperial with alchohol to use as a spray lube?
Link Posted: 3/22/2010 11:10:42 AM EDT
[#2]
Please explain how the lube gets from the lid to the cases.

I use Imperial for a few cases, but Dillon spray lube for volume.
Link Posted: 3/22/2010 12:46:45 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:

What I do is this. Taking a clean can. Place two fingers in Imperial Wax to smear on finger tips. Smear on insides of can. Inside, top, bottom, and sides. Then take your brass and dump inside of can. Shake, roll, or turn over constantly just so there's constant motion inside can. Motion will coat your brass better than spray top to bottom. This method was taught to me by a friend who loads everything but .22lr. The coating effect is as if you used a lot of spray. Had run across some hard to size 5.56 brass that had been run through an AK102. It stopped my spray approach dead in the die. Started using Imperial by hand and remembered this method. It Works and I think you'll find this to be a more cost effective method than the cost of spray. A can of Imperial as you know lasts forever.

ETA: A Little goes a long, long way. If you get carried away coating can you will have a greasy mess. It's not uncommon to coat can once and have more than enough for 500 pieces of brass.
Link Posted: 3/22/2010 12:49:40 PM EDT
[#4]
I do the same thing with a plastic ziploc bag. Smear a little on one side, dump in cases and zip up bag. I try to keep the bag as expanded as possible, as in not pushing the air out so the cases can move all around. Just rool the bag around a few times in your hands and the cases are set.
Link Posted: 3/22/2010 12:58:56 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Quoted:

What I do is this. Taking a clean can. Place two fingers in Imperial Wax to smear on finger tips. Smear on insides of can. Inside, top, bottom, and sides. Then take your brass and dump inside of can. Shake, roll, or turn over constantly just so there's constant motion inside can. Motion will coat your brass better than spray top to bottom. This method was taught to me by a friend who loads everything but .22lr. The coating effect is as if you used a lot of spray. Had run across some hard to size 5.56 brass that had been run through an AK102. It stopped my spray approach dead in the die. Started using Imperial by hand and remembered this method. It Works and I think you'll find this to be a more cost effective method than the cost of spray. A can of Imperial as you know lasts forever.

ETA: A Little goes a long, long way. If you get carried away coating can you will have a greasy mess. It's not uncommon to coat can once and have more than enough for 500 pieces of brass.

Thanks!!!

That's a neat little trick.  
Link Posted: 3/22/2010 7:42:16 PM EDT
[#6]
works great thanks for the tip
Link Posted: 3/22/2010 10:23:53 PM EDT
[#7]
must try.  bought some Imperial a few weeks ago. 1 light wipe with a finger as the case was going to the resizing die would laste 3 .30-30 cases (or more).

skink
Link Posted: 3/22/2010 10:51:10 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Makes sense, thanks.
Link Posted: 3/22/2010 11:10:36 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
must try.  bought some Imperial a few weeks ago. 1 light wipe with a finger as the case was going to the resizing die would laste 3 .30-30 cases (or more).

skink

Yes the stuff is amazing, makes full length sizing a piece of fired brass feel like it was already sized.
Link Posted: 3/22/2010 11:35:31 PM EDT
[#10]
You can do the same with Lanolin too .... acts just like imperial or unique sizing lube.
Link Posted: 3/23/2010 6:51:05 PM EDT
[#11]
When I'm resizing cases, I place the open tin of Imperial between the tumbled cases and the press. As my left hand moved to pick a case, I dip the tip of the index finger in the wax, tap it against the thumb, pick a case and roll it between my thumb and the tip of the index finger as I'm moving it towards the shell holder. To lube the case neck, I drag the tip of my index finger across the case mouth; this small amount of lube will help keep the (carbide)
expander ball lubricated.  I'm sorry about the tedious explanation but I can't think of a quicker way to apply Imperial Sizing Wax to cases.                        My thanks to the OP for sharing his case lube method.
Link Posted: 3/23/2010 7:03:20 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
When I'm resizing cases, I place the open tin of Imperial between the tumbled cases and the press. As my left hand moved to pick a case, I dip the tip of the index finger in the wax, tap it against the thumb, pick a case and roll it between my thumb and the tip of the index finger as I'm moving it towards the shell holder. To lube the case neck, I drag the tip of my index finger across the case mouth; this small amount of lube will help keep the (carbide)
expander ball lubricated.  I'm sorry about the tedious explanation but I can't think of a quicker way to apply Imperial Sizing Wax to cases.                        My thanks to the OP for sharing his case lube method.

That's exactly the way 7zero1 explained doing and AeroE posted in Gateway. It was this method I adopted after abandoning spray. Tried and true methods die hard as with my spray. I simply did not care for the added stop from tumbled brass to press every other or third case. This way I dump bulk brass into can and shake, rattle, or roll. Then dump into reloading tray. No finger tip pass through the Imperial Wax can. If it works for you stay with it. I do a lot of brass prep that most say is not worth the time. To each, leave them their methods.

Link Posted: 3/23/2010 8:49:15 PM EDT
[#13]
Can someone suggest a good place to buy Imperial Wax?
Link Posted: 3/23/2010 9:03:18 PM EDT
[#14]
I use lanolin as well, the thick stuff works great
Link Posted: 3/23/2010 9:38:40 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Can someone suggest a good place to buy Imperial Wax?

Midway.
Link Posted: 3/23/2010 9:40:15 PM EDT
[#16]
You can also get some sizing wax in the palm of your hands and rub handfuls of cases between your hands to lube them.
Link Posted: 3/23/2010 10:02:14 PM EDT
[#17]
I usually buy from Midway, but this time I was a bit taken aback and put off by their high price on this item - $7.79 for a 2 oz can?
Link Posted: 4/22/2010 10:16:15 AM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:

I usually buy from Midway, but this time I was a bit taken aback and put off by their high price on this item - $7.79 for a 2 oz can?

This is on sale atm btw

http://www.midwayusa.com/viewProduct/?productNumber=519525

Only $1.00 off...but still...

Link Posted: 4/22/2010 12:17:13 PM EDT
[#19]
It may be "expensive", but it is high quality and with this stuff remember, a little goes a LLLOOOOOONNNNNGGGGGG way.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top