why didn't I think of this?
Link Posted: 11/12/2009 2:46:45 PM EDT
[Last Edit: AeroE] [#2]
Link Posted: 11/12/2009 2:52:12 PM EDT
[#3]
tag
Link Posted: 11/12/2009 2:54:56 PM EDT
[#4]
I used a cap from a 3L soda bottle in my Lee PPM. I cut open notches on the side of it to allow the powder to flow through,but to prevent the weight of the powder column from resting directly over the powder flow. It seems to work ok.
Link Posted: 11/12/2009 7:11:00 PM EDT
[#5]
AeroE,

That's the best write up about making a powder measrue baffle I have seen. It should be tacked a the top of the page. Thanks.

Mike
Link Posted: 11/12/2009 11:31:46 PM EDT
[#6]
That's a great money saving write-up.  
Link Posted: 11/13/2009 10:03:23 AM EDT
[#7]
Well done AeroE.

A powder baffle will make your powder measure throw more consistent charges.

Now the secret is out.
Link Posted: 11/13/2009 10:53:15 AM EDT
[#8]
Nice.

I've read a fender washer that fits inside will work too.  

I have a commercial RCBS one.  (At least I think it was RCBS).
Link Posted: 11/13/2009 11:39:47 AM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 11/13/2009 9:13:45 PM EDT
[#10]
Tag, because AeroE's got me baffled.

Link Posted: 11/15/2009 3:19:59 PM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 11/15/2009 3:42:02 PM EDT
[#12]
I made my own too, a year or so ago.  I had downloaded the picture of the RCBS baffle, that Midway uses on their website, because the picture appears to show the shape of 1/2 of the ellipse and AeroE hadn't yet posted his great picture.  Then I used my office printer/copy machine to size it as close as I could diameter-wise.  Then I cut out a poster board pattern and scissor-trimmed it until it fit.  Once I was happy with it, I transferred the thing to aluminum.

Many years ago I bought an airbrush on line.  The company sent me a sample aluminum blank license plate. (The type used by air brush artists selling such things in malls)  That stock is the perfect thickness for this use, bends only where you force it to bend in a vice.  Worked great for me and that's an example of why I never throw anything away.
Link Posted: 11/15/2009 4:41:04 PM EDT
[#13]
Well I saw another approach to uniforming powder throws.  

It's completely.... umm..... different, instead of holding off the weight of the powder column they vibrate the whole measure to pack the cylinder.  

I won't post pictures but the one I saw was an adult novelty toy taped to the side of the powder measure hopper.

Link Posted: 11/15/2009 4:43:22 PM EDT
[#14]
I made one kind of like this, but I cut up a milk jug and used that.   It took a few tries to get the oval shape correct, but it worked great for years.
Link Posted: 11/15/2009 11:21:27 PM EDT
[Last Edit: chrisbaker] [#15]
I finally decided to make a baffle for my Lee Perfect Powder Measure –– got one done and it really does even out my throws of Varget, especially.  I intended to make one like AeroE's but pop cans require a 10 cent deposit here in MI (and yes, I'm that cheap).  I found something perfect and free (not exactly, but you get the idea).  I used the cap from a prescription bottle –– about 2-1/8" across.  I removed the soft plastic liner from inside, then cut out 4 sections of the short ridge in the inside of the lid (maybe unnecessary), then drilled 4 holes (3/8" each).  Then I cleaned up the holes a bit with a round needle file and a knife.  I put the lid in the measure (upside down), and filled it with powder.  If you have that measure, you know that it's funnel-shaped at the bottom.  This baffle rests perfectly at the top of that funnel and powder flows evenly down through the holes to the bottom of the measure.  I'd guess about 250-400 or so grains of powder rest below the level of this baffle, so there's a light but consistent amount of downward pressure on the powder below it.  Sure, a baffle shaped like the one above would look nicer, but this was fast, free, and easy (and it seems to work ok too).  Thanks for the inspiration, AeroE!

(ETA: sorry about the giant pix the first time –– looked smaller @ home than they were)
Link Posted: 7/20/2010 6:33:44 PM EDT
[#16]
Damned if you all aren't some ingenious people.

Link Posted: 7/20/2010 6:51:20 PM EDT
[#17]
Link Posted: 7/20/2010 9:06:51 PM EDT
[#18]
I just bought one today. Spent eight bucks on it.

Thanks for the write up! I think I'm going to use my factory baffle as a templet for my "custom" design.
Link Posted: 7/20/2010 9:59:50 PM EDT
[Last Edit: dryflash3] [#19]
Link Posted: 11/14/2010 4:27:46 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Scott_R] [#20]
Has anyone taken the plastic hopper off of the RCBS Uniflow?  Seems like I'm gonna break it before it comes off.

ETA:  Now I see from another thread it has to be broken off.

ETA2:  It eventually pried off using a small flat screwdriver going around it, slowly.

Link Posted: 11/15/2010 11:24:10 AM EDT
[#21]
Been using a plain old washer with a 1/2 in. for years
Link Posted: 11/1/2014 7:58:43 PM EDT
[#22]
Just to make things easy the lid from a empty Hodgdons powder 1lb. bottle just fits in a Lee powder measure. Turn the lide upside down and drill 4 opposing 3/8 opposing holes in the lid close to the edge. To make it meter a little better with the lid upside down take a ball peen hammer and place the lid on a sost board and placing the round part of the hammer over the holes and striking the flat part of the hammer with another hammer this witll bevel the holes for the powder to meter better. So far I have used this with cfe223 and Varget and it solves your metering problems. Just place the lid upside down in the powder ho[[er and push it down to the funnel part of the measure. Works for me[size=4]Just to make things easy the lid from a empty Hodgdons powder 1lb. bottle just fits in a Lee powder measure. Turn the lide upside down and drill 4 opposing 3/8 opposing holes in the lid close to the edge. To make it meter a little better with the lid upside down take a ball peen hammer and place the lid on a sost board and placing the round part of the hammer over the holes and striking the flat part of the hammer with another hammer this witll bevel the holes for the powder to meter better..
Link Posted: 1/2/2015 8:24:50 PM EDT
[#23]
I see you have the drop holes facing front to back, Is this the preferred position for baffles?
Thanks, Paul

Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By dryflash3:
This thread inspired me to make a baffle for my Redding PM, I have a store bought baffle in my Hornady PM, and it works well.

http://i250.photobucket.com/albums/gg272/dryflash3/Powder%20Measure/P3210428.jpg

Made mine out of a piece of copper I had.

Here is the whole thread on how I made mine.
View Quote
Link Posted: 1/3/2015 12:55:25 AM EDT
[#24]
Link Posted: 1/3/2015 1:49:18 PM EDT
[#25]
Thanks for the welcome and reply,
I used the RCBS baffle in a inflow for the first time yesterday, dropping 24.2 gn. of H335, with baffle positioned holes front to back as yours, I got great results with charges varying only about a tenth. I used the double tap at top stroke method, maintaining the hopper level no lower than 2/3.
Paul

The holes could be anywhere, I happen to prefer front/back as my preference. Just "looks right" to my eye.  

Welcome to Arfcom and the Reloading Forum.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By santacruzpaul:
I see you have the drop holes facing front to back, Is this the preferred position for baffles?
Thanks, Paul

This thread inspired me to make a baffle for my Redding PM, I have a store bought baffle in my Hornady PM, and it works well.

http://i250.photobucket.com/albums/gg272/dryflash3/Powder%20Measure/P3210428.jpg

Made mine out of a piece of copper I had.

Here is the whole thread on how I made mine.
The holes could be anywhere, I happen to prefer front/back as my preference. Just "looks right" to my eye.  

Welcome to Arfcom and the Reloading Forum.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top