Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 11/11/2009 12:24:34 PM EDT
I would like some input on the load I am trying to work up ( I know I am not the best shot "Old Eyes"

168 SMK
2.810" OAL
WLR Primers
100 yrds
RL-15 40.5-43.5gns
Any advice is appreciated  

Link Posted: 11/11/2009 1:05:39 PM EDT
[#1]
If that is with optics, your barrel doesn't appear to like the recipe.
Link Posted: 11/11/2009 1:40:27 PM EDT
[#2]
Need more information about the gun, the scope and most of all, what you are shooting off of.

I like a lot of sand bags for something like this.

A Bolt action remington should have at least 3 rounds kissing each other like in the first picture.

My remington's groups open up when I do it too fast.
Link Posted: 11/11/2009 1:48:04 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
Need more information about the gun, the scope and most of all, what you are shooting off of.

A Bolt action remington should have at least 3 rounds kissing each other like in the first picture.

Savage 10FLP
Leu Scope on 8X
Front sitting on bags
Rear nothing but my off hand under the butt

Link Posted: 11/11/2009 3:51:25 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Savage 10FLP
Leu Scope on 8X
Front sitting on bags
Rear nothing but my off hand under the butt

Those probably aren't bad groups for that setup but it can do better.

If you can get more sand bags it might make a difference.
Link Posted: 11/11/2009 5:35:06 PM EDT
[#5]
What cases are you using?
Link Posted: 11/11/2009 6:20:26 PM EDT
[#6]
I am using some BH Match cases and they are on their 3rd firing all trimmed to 2.007", I have only been reloading for about 2yrs and am just now starting to trickle loads so I have to ask where should i go from here besides using more sand bags like what load should I vary on ? I was thinking either vary or 40.5 or 42.0 the Sierra manual says 42.0 was the accuracy load but like I said alot of this is new to me I have been loading on a 550 and trickling loads is new to me I also have to ask should I be cleaning between the different loads ?

Thanks for everybodys input
Link Posted: 11/12/2009 3:44:29 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
I am using some BH Match cases and they are on their 3rd firing all trimmed to 2.007", I have only been reloading for about 2yrs and am just now starting to trickle loads so I have to ask where should i go from here besides using more sand bags like what load should I vary on ? I was thinking either vary or 40.5 or 42.0 the Sierra manual says 42.0 was the accuracy load but like I said alot of this is new to me I have been loading on a 550 and trickling loads is new to me I also have to ask should I be cleaning between the different loads ?

Here's more of my 2 cents

It's only an 8 power scope, it's going to be difficult to get the gun pointing exactly where it was on the previous round.

I like to be socked in with sand bags or shoot off a "Varmint Rest".

How much difference the fouling from previous rounds makes is a good question that I don't know the answer to so just for my own piece of mind I shoot a fouling round.

I do know that if I shoot too fast my groups open up. I try to do 2 or 3 minutes between rounds.

You don't seem to be doing anything really wrong, just keep at it.
Link Posted: 11/12/2009 4:05:49 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Quoted:

It's only an 8 power scope, it's going to be difficult to get the gun pointing exactly where it was on the previous round.
The scope is a 4.5x14 I thought having it at 8x was ok as I could see the target but may I need to dial it in closer

How much difference the fouling from previous rounds makes is a good question that I don't know the answer to so just for my own piece of mind I shoot a fouling round.

I do know that if I shoot too fast my groups open up. I try to do 2 or 3 minutes between rounds.

is their a starting load recommendation or should I start over with the scope dialed in closer ?

Link Posted: 11/12/2009 5:06:17 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

The scope is a 4.5x14 I thought having it at 8x was ok as I could see the target but may I need to dial it in closer

is their a starting load recommendation or should I start over with the scope dialed in closer ?

Work with what you have worked up and take it from there.

If they shoot like crap with your scoped dialied up then start over.
Link Posted: 11/12/2009 5:19:41 AM EDT
[#10]
Based on your pics, I'd work with the 43 and 43.5 loads, if they are acceptable pressure wise. I would get a rear rest, move the scope up to 15X and try those again.
Those groups are not that bad based on having your free hand as a rear rest.  The one by itself in the 43 group could be a flier due to movement, the other shots are good. It doesn't take much movement at all at the rifle to move your bullet an inch or two at 100 yds.
Link Posted: 11/12/2009 6:02:22 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Based on your pics, I'd work with the 43 and 43.5 loads, if they are acceptable pressure wise. I would get a rear rest, move the scope up to 15X and try those again.
Those groups are not that bad based on having your free hand as a rear rest.  The one by itself in the 43 group could be a flier due to movement, the other shots are good. It doesn't take much movement at all at the rifle to move your bullet an inch or two at 100 yds.

The bolt was alittle sticky at the 43-43.5 range but not bad, primers looked fine and did not show signs of high pressure, like I said this precision stuff is new to me especially shooting off of a bench I have always shot prone off of a bipod.
I am not opposed to buying some supports, I used just long tube sandbags on the front that were about 8-10" in length and kinda formed a "v" for the Stock to sit in and like I said the rear was just supported with my weak hand under the butt are their better ways to stabilize the Choate Stock it's sitting in

Thanks for all the input guys this is all new to me

Link Posted: 11/12/2009 1:55:16 PM EDT
[#12]
I was thinking about a Bull Bag for the forend and some type of squeeze pillow for under the butt, what do you guys use for support  ?
Link Posted: 11/12/2009 1:58:17 PM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 11/12/2009 2:35:31 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Quoted:
I was thinking about a Bull Bag for the forend and some type of squeeze pillow for under the butt, what do you guys use for support  ?

Pile o' bags, sometimes.  My rear bag is not shown in this shot.

http://media.ar15.com/media/viewFile.html?i=14095

That is the reason I am looking at the Bulls Bag to eliminate piling up bags and maybe better support

Link Posted: 11/12/2009 2:45:12 PM EDT
[#15]
Link Posted: 11/12/2009 3:41:22 PM EDT
[#16]
I just hate hauling all that stuff to the bench, between the Rifle case, cleaning box, storage tote with (ammo, ears, spotting scope etc..) and then on top of all that trying to work up a load that shoots well
Link Posted: 11/22/2009 5:40:58 PM EDT
[#17]
Getting ready to load up my second go around of load development and am curious about how many to a group ? I talked with Sierra since I am using their bullets and they suggested using 3 shot groups vs. 5 which I had been using
Link Posted: 11/22/2009 6:27:44 PM EDT
[#18]
Try Hornady 168s or amax I think you will be pleasantly surprised.
Link Posted: 11/22/2009 6:51:10 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
Try Hornady 168s or amax I think you will be pleasantly surprised.

I may try another bullet after these SMK's are gone but should I go with 3 or 5 shot groups

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top