Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 10/31/2009 7:23:10 PM EDT
Powder dropping rifle powder. What's the quickest, most accurate and convenient way you have found to drop a consistent powder charge. I like to load with Lee equipment but not finding their equipment good for rifle. TIA.

ETA: Powder is Accurate 2230 and 2520
Link Posted: 10/31/2009 7:29:17 PM EDT
[#1]
I only have experience with the RCBS Uni-Flow, an old one. But I can tell you it LOVES ball powder and will throw +/-.1g or better.  However, it doesn't like stick powders too much. I usually throw just short of the charge I want and then tricke up when
using H4895 or Varget. Some say the Lee Perfect Powder Measure does well with stick powders.
Link Posted: 10/31/2009 8:48:49 PM EDT
[#2]
I second that the RCBS Uniflow is good for ball powder while the Lee Perfect Powder Measure is good for stick.
Link Posted: 11/1/2009 4:40:01 AM EDT
[#3]
Redding BR3, or RCBS Charge Master 1500.

The Hornady powder measures are good also, better than the Uniflow I have. The Uniflow has to much play between the drum and housing that fine powders can get between the rotar and housing making it not as consistent.
Link Posted: 11/1/2009 5:30:42 AM EDT
[#4]
I use three different powder measures.  1.Lyman 1200 Electronic Dispenser, very fast and very accurate, but not near as fast as manual powder measure.  2. RCBS  Unilow powder measure,  as already posted, works very well with ball and small extruded powders.  3. Harrell's Precision Powder measure, very very accurate and very expensive.  I use it for my pistol and 223 loads and it is dead nuts every time.
http://www.harrellsprec.com/
Link Posted: 11/1/2009 5:46:14 AM EDT
[#5]
My Hornady PM throws AA-2230, and all other ball powders exact. As + or - .0.

The key is technique, smooth even motion the same every time.

Also the powder has to settle in measure, tap side of hopper, watch it settle.

Throw 3 to 5 charges, place them back into hopper, now throw and weigh charge / set measure.
Link Posted: 11/1/2009 6:07:03 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
I use three different powder measures.  1.Lyman 1200 Electronic Dispenser, very fast and very accurate, but not near as fast as manual powder measure.  2. RCBS  Unilow powder measure,  as already posted, works very well with ball and small extruded powders.  3. Harrell's Precision Powder measure, very very accurate and very expensive.  I use it for my pistol and 223 loads and it is dead nuts every time.
http://www.harrellsprec.com/

THIS.

Mine is balls accurate. With ball powder (H335) it throws it to .05 GRAINS (as measured with my lab grade digital scale)

Only complaint is it can't throw charges less than 6 grains at all, so you need to use slow burning powder if you are going to reload pistol rounds with it.
Get the Custom 90 - it's the cheap one, but works just as well as the best models, it's just not as pretty.

I LOVE the thing.

Link Posted: 11/1/2009 6:12:48 AM EDT
[#7]
One other thing,  mount measure in a comfortable location.

You don't want to bend over and scrunch up to throw charges.

Mine is mounted to a sturdy shelf right next to my scale, at eye level when I sit at my loading bench.
Link Posted: 11/1/2009 7:04:49 AM EDT
[#8]
I just got the cheap Lee Perfect Powder Measure from Midway yesterday.  I followed the instructions and ran a full pound through it before expecting it to perform properly.

I dropped 100 charges yesterday and all were within .2gr of the 43.0 I had set it for.  (I trickle up to 43.8)––-not too bad for a $20 investment and far easier than using the dipper spoons.

Oh––the powder is RL15.
Link Posted: 11/1/2009 2:07:59 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
I just got the cheap Lee Perfect Powder Measure from Midway yesterday.  I followed the instructions and ran a full pound through it before expecting it to perform properly.

I dropped 100 charges yesterday and all were within .2gr of the 43.0 I had set it for.  (I trickle up to 43.8)––-not too bad for a $20 investment and far easier than using the dipper spoons.

Oh––the powder is RL15.

Too much work, set it to 43.6 and trickle up the remaining 0.2.
The Lee PPM is highly underrated.
Link Posted: 11/1/2009 2:30:42 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Oh––the powder is RL15.

Yes they are, I just don't use mine anymore since I have a Charge Master 1500, Redding BR3, RCBS Comp. Uniflow, & a Hornady powder measure on my LnL AP so the Lee stays in storage bin with two Auto Disk PM with pro upgrades, double disk kits, and Micro charge bar I used to use with my Lee Classic Turret press.
Link Posted: 11/1/2009 3:32:29 PM EDT
[#11]
Hey, look guys... I'm a big fan of Lee. But you can't tell me Lee powder equipment will throw a consistant charge each time for precision rifle loads using Accurate 2230 and 2520 powders. Powder leaks everywhere. I use both Lee Auto Disk and Perfect Powder measurer and they both leak granule. Charges will be as much as .04 too light. Hardly acceptable.
Link Posted: 11/1/2009 5:18:05 PM EDT
[#12]
I've never had my lee PPM leak.  It meters ball powders dead nuts on, and extruded to +/- .2 or better.  Flake powders are it's weak point because of static.
Link Posted: 11/1/2009 5:59:16 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
I've never had my lee PPM leak.  It meters ball powders dead nuts on, and extruded to +/- .2 or better.  Flake powders are it's weak point because of static.

You'll become dissapointed quickly when trying to load fine granule ball powder such as Accurate 2230 or 2520. If it didn't leak I think it would be fine. In doing some research I've found where some have made shims. Stopping the leak.. When loading rifle. Precision rifle. I'm sorry I don't have it within me to put up with leakage or equipment I can't trust and +/-.2 is not trustworthy. I'm going to try RCBS and if that doesn't work I'll try the outfit out of Virginia that's been suggested. Thanks for your help guys !

Link Posted: 11/1/2009 9:02:58 PM EDT
[#14]
Forget the RCBS and get the Hornady or Redding BR3, the RCBS has a loose cylinder and also doesn't throw within .1gr with any powder I have tried. I have and like the BR3 the best and for the money even the Hornady is better than the Uniflow.
Link Posted: 11/2/2009 5:59:31 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Oh––the powder is RL15.

Redding BR3 will meter R-15 to +/- .1gr at that level.  IMR 4895 is harder to meter, and the Redding BR3 will dump 47 +/- .1gr very consistently.  There is no need to trickle with a good power measure.  When you have it set, measure out 5 and check them individualy.  When you're confident it's set, dump 10 into one cup and weigh it for your 10 average.  Go to town.  

Link Posted: 11/2/2009 5:59:40 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Oh––the powder is RL15.

Redding BR3 will meter R-15 to +/- .1gr at that level.  IMR 4895 is harder to meter, and the Redding BR3 will dump 47 +/- .1gr very consistently.  There is no need to trickle with a good power measure.  When you have it set, measure out 5 and check them individualy.  When you're confident it's set, dump 10 into one cup and weigh it for your 10 average.  Go to town.  

Link Posted: 11/2/2009 6:00:06 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Oh––the powder is RL15.

Quoted:
Quoted:

Oh––the powder is RL15.

Link Posted: 11/2/2009 6:46:59 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Oh––the powder is RL15.

Quoted:
Quoted:

Oh––the powder is RL15.

Link Posted: 11/2/2009 6:49:34 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Oh––the powder is RL15.

Quoted:
Quoted:

Oh––the powder is RL15.

Link Posted: 11/6/2009 5:17:39 PM EDT
[#20]
Ok...update here. Had a little down time yesterday so I called MidwayUSA and requested dock 5 customer pick up and two hours later I had a Lee Pro Auto Disk Update Kit. I'd been wanting one for 45acp anyway so if it didn't work on the .223 turret head I could switch it over to 45acp head. No loss situatiion. Installed, set the micrometer bar about where I wanted it to be and poured some Accurate 2230 in hopper. Pulled a couple charges to clear static into case, calibrated scale and pulled a charge 23.6 grains. emptied pulled another charge 23.6 grains. repeated and weighed 23.7 grains. again 23.6 grains...agiain 23.6 grains.. again 23.7 grains. Not a bad $ 14.00 and change investment. It will work for .223. I definitely see a Harrells Precision in the future for .308 and .223. This will do for now. Thanks for all your tips.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top