Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 1/27/2009 4:53:09 PM EDT
so whats the difference between the two? ive been using winchester small rifle primers but lately have been having problems finding them. walmart carries the cci magnum primers in mass quantities and are fairly cheap.

i load a lot of 55gr and 62gr ss109's with h335 powder. what do you think?
Link Posted: 1/27/2009 5:03:34 PM EDT
[#1]
Im not telling you to use them...but I do and only on loads I have specifically worked up.  The WILL raise pressure and may flash your powder (a real bad thing).  I would only use in large cases and will ball powder which is a bit harder to ignite as well.  I caution against it in 223/556
Link Posted: 1/27/2009 5:09:45 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
Im not telling you to use them...but I do and only on loads I have specifically worked up.  The WILL raise pressure and may flash your powder (a real bad thing).  I would only use in large cases and will ball powder which is a bit harder to ignite as well.  I caution against it in 223/556

What is "flash your powder?"  Sounds bad.
Link Posted: 1/27/2009 5:15:00 PM EDT
[#3]
CCI #41 and #34 primers are magnum primers.
Link Posted: 1/27/2009 5:22:46 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
Quoted:

What is "flash your powder?"  Sounds bad.

I don't mind a little flash.

OP, I switched from Win SR for my 223 loads to Wolf SRM primers.

Reason was price and could not find the Winchesters any more.

The magnum in a Wolf primer is just the cup thickness.

Reworked my loads and stocked up on the Wolf's.

Link Posted: 1/27/2009 6:12:36 PM EDT
[#5]
"OP, I switched from Win SR for my 223 loads to Wolf SRM primers.

Reason was price and could not find the Winchesters any more.

The magnum in a Wolf primer is just the cup thickness.

Reworked my loads and stocked up on the Wolf's."

I did the same thing.
Midlength
Link Posted: 1/27/2009 6:34:02 PM EDT
[#6]
so the difference is they cause the powder to burn hotter? do i have that correct?

is there any other benefits?
Link Posted: 1/27/2009 6:54:07 PM EDT
[#7]

A magnum primers flame lasts longer and is hotter
I use CCI # 41 in my 223, they are a mil. spec. primer ( the cup is harder and
they are also a magnum primer) I have had no problems with them, the powder
I use is Varget (a stick powder)

They will work, but you will need to work up your load with the magnum primer

Link Posted: 1/27/2009 7:05:53 PM EDT
[#8]
do you have to reduce your loads when you use the mag primers?

are the loads listed in the reloading books worked up for standard primer use?

whats a good load using h335, ss109's and magnum primers?
Link Posted: 1/27/2009 7:30:43 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
do you have to reduce your loads when you use the mag primers? usually , YES
are the loads listed in the reloading books worked up for standard primer use? it should tell you which they use on the first page of that particular rounds data
whats a good load using h335, ss109's and magnum primers?I don't know
Link Posted: 1/27/2009 7:36:58 PM EDT
[#10]
Taken from the CCI website...........

Magnum Primers
Most components primer manufacturers, including CCI® to reloaders offer Magnum primers. Under certain conditions, reloaders need a more powerful primer than standard primers. It's much like buying a new car and deciding whether to get the standard four-cylinder engine or a more powerful V-6.

When we develop load data, we consider these conditions as indicating use of Magnum primers:

With ball or spherical powders (some exceptions exist)
With large-volume cartridge cases
If the cartridge is likely to be fired in cold conditions (under 20° F)

Magnum primers are engineered to produce a hotter flame of longer duration to meet the needs of the above conditions. However, these characteristics often require a charge weight reduction to keep pressure under control. For this reason, use Magnum primers only where recommended in published loading data.

Our research indicates that some propellant/cartridge combinations do not require Magnum primers at the maximum load level, but can at the start load level for reliable ignition. When we find this, we use Magnum primers for all loads with that propellant.

Aloha, Mark
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top