Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 12/25/2008 5:06:45 PM EDT
Does anyone know what type of lacquer is used for the rosette crimped blanks? Where would I get some from?

Thanks
Link Posted: 12/25/2008 5:50:27 PM EDT
[#1]
Generally, ordnance lacquers are basic "nitrocelulose" lacquers.  In other words, nail polish, but thinned way down.  You can use nail polish and lacquer thinner, or get model airplane "dope," which is purer nitro lacquer than nail polish and comes in less "extreme" colors.
Link Posted: 12/25/2008 8:45:54 PM EDT
[#2]
Originally Posted By GHPorter:
Generally, ordnance lacquers are basic "nitrocelulose" lacquers.  In other words, nail polish, but thinned way down.  You can use nail polish and lacquer thinner, or get model airplane "dope," which is purer nitro lacquer than nail polish and comes in less "extreme" colors.

Only if it is nitro dope.  Most are butyl dope.

Get some acetone and use it to dissolve some old single based powder.  Use an old jar to do this.  It takes a while to dissolve.

Some black ball point pen ink will dye it to the purple shade you want.  It is an aniline dye so it will burn  It is a dark purple with no pigment unlike India Ink which is just fine carbon black.

Where to get ball point pen ink?  From a failed disposable ball point pen.  Wear gloves, it can be messy.
Link Posted: 12/25/2008 8:53:03 PM EDT
[#3]
Originally Posted By Keith_J:

Good point.  Some places just don't carry nitro dope because it's "dangerous" (in that it burns much better than butyl dope-which itself is a pretty nasty chemical if it catches fire).  You do have to be careful about this.
Link Posted: 12/25/2008 9:57:26 PM EDT
[#4]
Originally Posted By Keith_J:

Good point.  Some places just don't carry nitro dope because it's "dangerous" (in that it burns much better than butyl dope-which itself is a pretty nasty chemical if it catches fire).  You do have to be careful about this.

I've made blank laquer with Varget and know it works.  Just be careful dissolving it because it is like tapicoa when acetone is added.  Takes a while to dissolve as it forms sticky clumps.  For ~20 grains of Varget, it takes about an ounce of acetone.  Sprinkle the powder into the acetone, then stir for a few minutes and let sit for an hour.  Put a tiny drop of ink in it and stir well, thinning as needed.  Without dye, it is yellow-green once the graphite settles out.

Also great for sealing primers and shotgun crimps.
Link Posted: 12/25/2008 10:22:51 PM EDT
[#5]
Now I have a use for the small amount of powder left-over in a can, other than sprinkling on the lawn.

Thanks Keith.
Link Posted: 12/25/2008 10:53:03 PM EDT
[#6]
Originally Posted By ArimoDave:
Now I have a use for the small amount of powder left-over in a can, other than sprinkling on the lawn.

Thanks Keith.

Its also great for filling the grain on woodworking projects!  Dries fast, seals great and sands easily.  Just be careful of the sanding dust
Link Posted: 12/25/2008 11:52:00 PM EDT
[#7]
Wow, good info. Thank you. Can this be made and then stored for later use? Sealed in  jar or something?

Is there something commercially available?
Link Posted: 12/26/2008 12:18:14 AM EDT
[#8]
Ok so I just watched a couple of vids on youtube about how to make nitro lacquer with acetone and ping pong balls.  Any thoughts?

Link Posted: 12/26/2008 10:30:23 AM EDT
[Last Edit: putiton11] [#9]
pyrotechnic supply sites

http://www.skylighter.com/mall/chemicals.asp?Sort=N

http://www.firefox-fx.com/      

this one seems to have a larger selection

all kinds of wonderful chemicals that go fizz  bang pop
Link Posted: 12/26/2008 12:15:59 PM EDT
[Last Edit: ireload] [#10]
Flamethrower this is what I use for sealing my primers, Valspar spray laquer.  Black colored high-gloss.  I use a small philips screw driver to apply.  I spray a small amount on the white plastic cap and dip the screw driver.  The cross on the screwdriver holds enough of the laquer to coat around the primer.  I have not tried it on rosette crimped blanks do so experimentation would be at hand.      

Link Posted: 12/26/2008 1:36:42 PM EDT
[#11]
Originally Posted By Flamethrower:
Ok so I just watched a couple of vids on youtube about how to make nitro lacquer with acetone and ping pong balls.  Any thoughts?

Ping pong balls are made from NC and camphor.  They are somewhat less flammable than NC.  And quite expensive compared to waste single base propellent.

If you have a good container, it will stay good for a long time.  If it dries out, just add more acetone and wait.

NC is like starch in gravy, it doesn't take much to thicken the acetone.
Link Posted: 1/18/2009 8:44:46 AM EDT
[#12]
will paint work about as good?
Link Posted: 1/18/2009 12:51:58 PM EDT
[#13]
Originally Posted By ar_mcadams:
will paint work about as good?

No.  I tried the oil base paint once and it's not as durable as the laquer.  

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top