Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 12/14/2008 9:29:04 AM EDT
In the previous What is the ultimate reloader??? thread I showed that the Hornady LnL w/casefeeder was only $24 less than a Dillon XL650 w/casefeeder.
Quoted:
However, an LnL w/casefeeder set up for, say, .223 is only $24 cheaper than a Dillon XL650.  Hornady's press $360 + shellplate $27.50 + casefeeder at $293.50 = $681.  Dillon's press $505 + casefeeder at $200 = $705.
I was mistaken in my earlier attempt to compare the presses 'apples to apples' because I recently confirmed that the Hornady press doesn't include a Primer Early Warning Assembly or Follower Rod.  Dillon includes these in all their presses so to be fair, one must add the price of one to Hornady's press price to normalize the pricing between the two.  Hornady doesn't offer one at all so I'll use the Dillon price of $23 instead.

That means that Hornady's actual price is all of $1 less than Dillon's (excluding their bullet offer which is a promotional item and could be discontinued at any time).  Does anyone really think that Dillon's XL650 w/casefeeder is only $1 better than Hornady's LnL w/casefeeder?
Link Posted: 12/14/2008 9:49:51 AM EDT
[#1]
Still trying?
You are still forgetting that you can find the L&L for cheaper prices than MSRP,, plus the bullets.
'Borg
Link Posted: 12/14/2008 9:51:35 AM EDT
[#2]
....And you don't end up with a shelf full of powder measures and toolheads.
Link Posted: 12/14/2008 10:00:08 AM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
Still trying?
You are still forgetting that you can find the L&L for cheaper prices than MSRP,, plus the bullets.
'Borg
Nope, look again at my pricing model above.  Hornady quotes their LnL at $455.40 and I used the more representative Midway pricing of $360.  I did acknowledge that Hornady offers 1,000 free bullets with their setup in my post.

Quoted:
....And you don't end up with a shelf full of powder measures and toolheads.
You don't need to have any more than 1 powder measure if that's your thing.  Loosen 2 bolts and it comes right off so you can install it on another set.  It takes all of about 15 seconds to remove and install it on another.

The purpose of my thread is to demonstrate that the presses are 'every day' priced within a single dollar of each other.  The point of my post is the last sentence.  "Does anyone really think that Dillon's XL650 w/casefeeder is only $1 better than Hornady's LnL w/casefeeder?"  That's the question I'm asking.
Link Posted: 12/14/2008 10:09:30 AM EDT
[#4]
The purpose of your post is to bash the L&L,,altho I don't know why.
Is there a deep, dark undertone here we don't know about?
'Borg
Link Posted: 12/14/2008 10:35:39 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
The purpose of your post is to bash the L&L,,altho I don't know why.
Is there a deep, dark undertone here we don't know about?
'Borg
No, it isn't.  I'm trying to start a discussion about the technical differences between the two presses because, as I've shown, they are pretty much the same price.  If the Hornady press is mechanically the equal (features, design, quality, durability, ergonomics, etc.) of the Dillon press, then I, an XL650 owner, would have no problems recommending it over my press.  

There isn't anything magical about Dillon's products.  I'm really interested in the Hornady brand as it could be a better deal for those looking for a quality progressive with a casefeeder.  It's true that many Dillon owners get 'nuts' with a separate complete toolhead for every caliber (hell, I've got a complete toolhead setup for 40sw and another one for 10mm).  I guess we feel that a bit more money to get the convenience we want is worth it but that approach isn't for everyone.  

Right now I can't in good conscience recommend another brand of progressive press because of the information I have about the issues with Lee's Loadmaster and Pro 1000, RCBS' 2000, Lyman offerings (they don't make a progressive that I'm aware of) and the previous versions of Hornady's LnL.

In a previous thread (What is the ultimate reloader???) I asked the following questions.

"I honestly don't know so I'm asking those of you that have one.

Are Hornady presses as durable as Dillon's?
How do they hold up after say, 100,000 rds?
How good is their powder measure with different powders?
Are there really consistent problems with their primer feed?
What is their resale value?"

I'm still truly interested in honest answers to those qestions.

I've got a neighbor interested in reloading.  He's using my 650 currently but he'll soon be considering a press setup for himself.  I want to recommend the best value for him as he's a bit tight on money with a family growing up.  If the LnL turns out to be a better candidate than a Dillon, I want to be able to honestly recommend it to him over my setup.
Link Posted: 12/14/2008 10:59:50 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
"I honestly don't know so I'm asking those of you that have one...

I've got a neighbor interested in reloading.  He's using my 650 currently but he'll soon be considering a press setup for himself.  I want to recommend the best value for him...

Have you seen the writeup written by acrashb of CGN?  He ran a Lee Loadmaster, Dillon 650 and LNL side-by-side for months, then compared them.
http://www.comrace.ca/cmfiles/dillonLeeHornadyComparison.pdf

His bottom line is that Hornady and Dillon are close enough in performance that which you choose should be based on your personal style and needs.  He hints that a reloader who uses a machine to make thousands of one load would be better off with the Dillon, while the reloader who loads a couple thousand each of several loadings may be better served by the Hornady.  There are other variables, as well.

I hope to upgrade to a progessive someday soon, when I do it will almost certainly be the Hornady.  I want one machine to load 9mm, .38 special, .45 auto, .45 Colt, .44 mag, 5.56, 7.62x51 and .30-06.  I don't believe I need a case feeder.  The LNL seems to be the way to go for this situation.

I will also point out that I doubt if anyone can answer your question about durability, yet.  The LNL is too new, and heavy users were just too closed-minded about the blue kool-aid until recently.  In the two years or so since LNL really started flying off the shelves, I doubt anyone has put 100,000 rounds through one.
Link Posted: 12/14/2008 11:17:43 AM EDT
[#7]
I haven't put more than about 10 k through mine yet,, had too many rds loaded up to begain with.
One thingI do know, I use the L&L powder measure with extruded powder (RE15) and it runs close+ - .015, good enough for short line matches
'Borg
Link Posted: 12/14/2008 11:44:02 AM EDT
[#8]
Thanks BattleRifle for that link.  That's what I was looking for.  It looks like now that Hornady has their EZeject modification, they have a truly competitive system to Dillon's 650.  That makes sense in that equipped with a casefeeder and a low primer warning device, they are within $1 of each other in initial price.

As for the powder measures, I posted a thread where I talked to Dillon about their powder measure and extruded powders.  I've done the polishing of the powder funnel so according to them, it should measure extruded powder very well too.  However, until I try it, I don't know that for sure.
Link Posted: 12/14/2008 2:08:04 PM EDT
[#9]
Recommend the Hornady for your neighbor just so he wouldn't be borrowing your 650 shell plates, caliber conversions, etc

Link Posted: 12/14/2008 2:14:08 PM EDT
[#10]
One thing that is nice is that you have the option of having the auto indexing of the LNL w/out having to pay the additional money for a case feeder right away.  I plan on buying a casefeeder down the road when I can afford it.  If I had the money, though, I would've bought the 1050.
Link Posted: 12/14/2008 3:26:41 PM EDT
[#11]
I just spent the last hour comparing the same type of what you guys did but I went and added everthing I needed to load 223,9mm.40,and 45 and with everything the Hornady came out at 860.00 the dillon set up at 1014.00   looked at shell plates case feed plates  all of it and hornady came out 150.00 less, Then add in a 289.00 1000 45 caliber bullets and I am going the hornady way
Link Posted: 12/14/2008 8:48:28 PM EDT
[#12]
I have noticed in photographs that the LNL AP has grease zerks and the XL650 has grease holes.  Zerks offer easy preventative maintenance.
Link Posted: 12/15/2008 2:57:58 AM EDT
[#13]
Dillons are extremely boring to operated. You pull the handle and make another

round. Hour after hour, day after day, year after year. No excitement, no mysteries to

solve, just pull the handle and make another round.
Link Posted: 12/15/2008 3:49:20 AM EDT
[#14]
COSteve,

I've owned a Hornady LnL for about ten years or so now and have a buddy that's owned a Dillon 650 that I've also loaded on frequently during the same period, so I'm reasonably sure I'm qualified to answer your questions, as we've extensively discussed our experiences and costs with each other over that period of time.

I've cut and pasted your statements/questions below, put them in quotation marks and addressed them

"I was mistaken in my earlier attempt to compare the presses 'apples to apples' because I recently confirmed that the Hornady press doesn't include a Primer Early Warning Assembly or Follower Rod. Dillon includes these in all their presses so to be fair, one must add the price of one to Hornady's press price to normalize the pricing between the two. Hornady doesn't offer one at all so I'll use the Dillon price of $23 instead."

Actually, if I'm remembering what I recently read correctly, the most recent version of the LnL AP comes with one of these.  But since one can make one out of brass rod or dowel rod one gets from the hardware store for a couple of dollars, assigning $23.00 is adding false economy.  

"That means that Hornady's actual price is all of $1 less than Dillon's (excluding their bullet offer which is a promotional item and could be discontinued at any time)."

But the fact is, the bullet offer has been going on for at least a year now and adds significant value to the Hornady and to be fair, you have to factor it in.  If not, you're not being factual in your comparison as long as it's going on.  Additionally, I'm also suspecting you didn't factor in the costs of added caliber conversions.  For the Hornady, that's a single shellplate, a set of dies and enough LnL bushings to hold the dies and one doesn't have to figure out what one needs and doesn't need to add a caliber.  It's simple and affordable.

"Does anyone really think that Dillon's XL650 w/casefeeder is only $1 better than Hornady's LnL w/casefeeder?"

Actually, having reloaded on both and compared them both for years, the Dillon isn't as good as the Hornady, even if the Hornady were the more expensive press by a significant amount.  The Hornady has consistently less (measured many times by myself and my buddy over several calibers) runout with rifle cartridges than the Dillon, the powder measure handles extruded powder much better than the Dillon measure and is significantly easier to adjust/convert to other powders, the press runs smoother and is larger and easier to get one's hands in and out of, the primer disposal system keeps the press clean, so minimal cleaning is required, while primer on the Dillon allows the press to get dirty.  So the Hornady is easier to operate, easier to change calibers on, faster to change calibers on, less expensive to buy caliber conversions for, has better runout and therefore more accurate rifle cartridges and has a powder measure that handles extruded powders without modification.  I forgot to mention the LnL bushings allow one to swap out a single die while keeping the rest of one's setup, for even more convenience.  As an aside, I load my High Power 600 yard line cartridges on my Hornady LnL AP, something most Dillon owners do on their single stages.  But I found there was no accuracy difference with the LnL.  My buddy still loads his 600 yard stuff on his Rock Chucker.  There's reasons for these kinda things.

"You don't need to have any more than 1 powder measure if that's your thing. Loosen 2 bolts and it comes right off so you can install it on another set. It takes all of about 15 seconds to remove and install it on another."

But the fact is, signficant amounts of Dillon owners find the hassle of changing over the powder measure over time enough that they do buy additional powder measures.  My buddy did.  I, on the other hand, bought two micrometer inserts, one rifle, one pistol ten years ago when I bought my press and have never felt the need to buy another powder measure for the press.  Additionally, my buddy often comments on how much he likes my powder measure.  At least he did, until he started buying Hornady measures for his Dillon.  I think that pretty much says it all, along with all the pictures online of guys posting Dillon presses with multiple powder measures.  Most Hornady owners pictures show only one measure.  To be honest, I can't think of a single time I've seen a Hornady press with two measures or any other measure than the one that came with the press.

"No, it isn't. I'm trying to start a discussion about the technical differences between the two presses because, as I've shown, they are pretty much the same price. "

1. Die handling:  Hornady uses LnL bushings, Dillon uses a toolhead.  LnL bushings allow for changing individual dies/etc. while leaving other stuff on board.  LnL bushings are extremely fast to do caliber conversions with.  Faster than a Dillon tool head.  LnL bushings allow the brass to center better in the die, providing better runout on rifle cartridges.  Can't say about pistol cartridges, since I only shoot IDPA and don't measure pistol cartridge runout.

2.  Powder measures:  Hornady uses a rotating cylinder very similar to many excellent powder measures on the market, such as RCBS Uniflow.  Dillon uses a sliding bar measure, similar to many older measures who for the most part are no longer sold, except on shotgun reloaders and Dillon presses.

3.  Casefeeder:  Hornady's casefeeder is damn near the same piece of crap Dillon sells.  Except for the part next to the press, which is a bit better design.  Both have that same cheesy motor and same cheesy plastic disks.  About a draw and I suspect the Hornady casefeeder is made by Dillon, hence the high price on the casefeeder.  

4.  Case retention:  Hornady uses a spring, Dillon uses pins.  The spring can be damaged if you're not careful and the pins can be lost.  That said, I haven't damaged a spring in about 9 years, but my buddy has dropped and spent hours searching for pins over that time.  Overall, it's a wash if your reloading room is clean.

5.  Advance mechanism:  Hornady's is a bit smoother, but both work very well.

6.  Size:  The Hornady is a larger press and is easier to get one's hands into.

"If the Hornady press is mechanically the equal (features, design, quality, durability, ergonomics, etc.) of the Dillon press, then I, an XL650 owner, would have no problems recommending it over my press."

One thing I find consistently on the net is Dillon owners assuming the Hornady "might" just be equal to the Dillon.  After ten years of reloading on both and having owned a 550 before the LnL, I can honestly say I think the Hornady LnL AP is superior to the Dillon 650.  You would have to go to a 1050 to get a better press than the Hornady.  The superiority of the Dillon, I've found, is a myth.  It's a great press, but not better or even as good as the Hornady.  I'm not saying that because I'm in love with the Hornady.  I'm saying it because I've found, over years of time comparing and contrasting the two, it's the truth.  If the Dillon had been better, I'd have long ago gotten rid of my LnL and gotten a 650, as I'm all about best value for the money and could care less who and how many people bought what.

"There isn't anything magical about Dillon's products. I'm really interested in the Hornady brand as it could be a better deal for those looking for a quality progressive with a casefeeder. It's true that many Dillon owners get 'nuts' with a separate complete toolhead for every caliber (hell, I've got a complete toolhead setup for 40sw and another one for 10mm). I guess we feel that a bit more money to get the convenience we want is worth it but that approach isn't for everyone."

The really odd thing about the Hornady is one can have the convenience, without buying all those toolheads and powder measures.  The LnL bushing system and powder measure really is that much more convenient.  And yes, I've done caliber conversions on both presses.

"Right now I can't in good conscience recommend another brand of progressive press because of the information I have about the issues with Lee's Loadmaster and Pro 1000, RCBS' 2000, Lyman offerings (they don't make a progressive that I'm aware of) and the previous versions of Hornady's LnL."

Not sure which version you're talking about, but mine is ten years old.  During that time, I've seen Hornady steadily and consistently work to improve their product.  I've not seen a single change out of the Dillon line.  The version I have has been better than my buddy's 650.  I'm sure the latest version is significantly better in many aspects.

"In a previous thread (What is the ultimate reloader???) I asked the following questions.  I honestly don't know so I'm asking those of you that have one."

"Are Hornady presses as durable as Dillon's?"

Mine is ten years old and I've used it constantly.  It looks and acts the same as the day I bought it.  I do period maintenance such as removing old lubricant and replacing it with new fairly frequently, but the main thing that's kept it new is the primer disposal system, that keeps spent primer residue away from the press.

"How do they hold up after say, 100,000 rds?"

I don't know how many rounds I've loaded, but I would guess that many ore more.  Looks and performs like new.

"How good is their powder measure with different powders?"

Basically, it is a much larger version of an RCBS Uniflow, except it's more heavy duty and has a huge hopper.  Handles every single thing I've ever put in it, especially extruded powders.

"Are there really consistent problems with their primer feed?"

Not that I've seen, unless it's not adjusted correctly.  But you only have to do that once when you first set it up.  You do however, have to keep it clean and free of debris.  But you have to do those two things with any progressive you buy.  Not rocket science.  If you set up the timing and adjust the primer feed (simple things to do) they hold their adjustment and the press runs smooth as butter.  

Of course, if you don't have the minimum mechanical aptitude to adjust and setup an automatic advance progressive, you should be buying a 550, not a 650 or a LnL AP.  After all, these are machines and do need some minimal adjustments when setup.

"What is their resale value?"

I have no idea.  I have no interest in selling mine, though the latest version is tempting.  My son is threatening to steal mine, so that might be a way to justify buying another.

"I'm still truly interested in honest answers to those questions."

There ya go.  Honest answers.  If I didn't truly believe in what I've said, I wouldn't post what I've said.

"I've got a neighbor interested in reloading. He's using my 650 currently but he'll soon be considering a press setup for himself. I want to recommend the best value for him as he's a bit tight on money with a family growing up. If the LnL turns out to be a better candidate than a Dillon, I want to be able to honestly recommend it to him over my setup."

Before you going recommending a progressive setup for him, you might want to consider how much reloading componentry he can afford.  IF one can only afford a thousand rounds of components, makes no difference how fast one's press is.  Because after an hour or so, it's sitting idle quite a long time.  If he's got kids, I strongly suggest you steer him towards two excellent values in reloading presses/setups right now:

1.  The Lee Classic Turret - it's as good as any Hornady or Dillon offering quality wise, is reasonably quick at 200 plus rounds an hour, has excellent primer disposal, keeping the press clean and is very affordable, leaving the young person with money to buy components.  It's made of cast iron and steel.  An excellent value for a new reloader.  It's fast enough that if I had purchased this years ago, I would have never needed a progressive.

2.  The Lee Classic Cast single stage press - I had this setup for a month next to my Rock Chucker.  In the end, I sold my Rock Chucker, this press is that much better.  

With those two presses, a couple of Pro Auto Disk measures and an RCBS Uniflow, your young reloader would be setup for a lot of fine reloading at a very affordable price.  Later, when he's got more cash available, can afford more and his children no longer need diapers, etc., he can upgrade to a progressive.

I sincerely believe that 90% of reloaders out there would have all their needs easily and happily met with the above setup.

Regards,

Dave

Link Posted: 12/15/2008 1:16:20 PM EDT
[#15]
Dave,

Thanks for the information.  On the whole I think your opinions are fairly straight forward.  The only thing I find in error is your opening statement, "But since one can make one out of brass rod or dowel rod one gets from the hardware store for a couple of dollars, assigning $23.00 is adding false economy."  The $23 was for both the rod and the warning buzzer.  And, per Hornady in my recent phone call, no, they don't offer the rod.

In addition, you overlooked the cost of caliber specific powder through dies for pistol conversions and different case plates for the casefeeder (same as Dillon).  Also, I don't think I have one caliber that, when converting to it, I don't have to replace all the dies so for me 2 pins and the whole toolhead comes off works easier than taking out each die one at a time.  BTW, my personal preference is to not have the individual die approach as I'm world famous for losing things and I like them all together on one toolhead so I have a better chance of finding them (but that's my individual preference).  

Seems that Hornady's powder measure design might be superior to Dillon's at first glance but since I polished my .233 powder die as I wrote in a thread, I've had a chance to try some extruded powder and I was surprised at how consistent the throws are now.  Hornady's rotary approach is a different one but not necessarily a better one.

Truly, the number of powder die setups one has isn't a function of the press but rather a function of the laziness of the press owner.  I for one stated that I have a complete setup (including powder measure) for each caliber I shoot (even a separate one for 40sw and 10mm).  Why?  Because I'm lazy, I'm older and don't want to be bothered with adjusting things, I can afford them, and I've got room for them.

As I said, I'm not tied to Dillon and who knows, I might just recommend the LnL to my noobie reloading friend, however, he has said that when he gets a press he wants one like mine so that he'll always have a source for answers.
Link Posted: 12/15/2008 1:38:06 PM EDT
[#16]
I think using just the numbers, you find that the costs are pretty close for ONE CALIBER.  When you start looking at the ability to change from one caliber to another fairly quickly, then you see Hornady being less costly.  The bushings cost about $3.50 each and are less when you buy in quantities (<$30 for 10, for example), and that means a big savings in toolheads right there.  When I got the casefeed system for my birthday, my wife said "just buy all the plates while you're at it," so I did.  (God, I love my wife!)  Between buying them along with the casefeeder from Midsouth (they had the best price at the time), I saved a LOT of money.

And I've saved a lot too by shopping for shellplates.  I've gotten about half of my shellplates from Cabellas' "Bargain Cave" where they were marked down to anything between $15 and $3!  There was nothing wrong with them, they'd just been returned or the packages damaged...

I looked at this issue very carefully when I was deciding which way to go, and being able to get the Hornady system from a variety of vendors for a substantial discount off MSRP was only part of it.  The whole "toolhead" issue makes Dillon look very attractive, but the convenience of the toolhead system costs more overall, at least as far as I've been able to see.
Link Posted: 12/15/2008 1:48:34 PM EDT
[#17]
Buy what YOU want, reload and be happy.  

/thread
Link Posted: 12/15/2008 1:50:10 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
Buy what YOU want, reload and be happy.  

/thread

True.  But don't we all want to boast about how we made "the best choice?"
Link Posted: 12/15/2008 1:57:54 PM EDT
[#19]
Great post Dave.

As for longevity, I am still using my Hornady Pro-Jector, the predecessor to the LNL. I bought it 15 years ago, used. Although I plan on buying the LNL after xmas. I don't think the Dillon is a bad press, but it is silly to watch the fits the owners of them take when it comes to what press is better.
Link Posted: 12/15/2008 2:00:01 PM EDT
[#20]
I have had my Hornady since '98 or '99 and have probably put around 50k rounds through it without any problems, I just finally ruined my case retaining spring the other night, I will order a few from Midway at $1.89 each. Earlier this year I took the pivots apart for the first time to clean and lube it ,there are no zerks on my old model, I found no signs of wear on the shafts or any mating surfaces so I would say the press is good for several hundred thousand rounds if lubed once in a while.

I have the original priming and case eject system and the work without issue, I can feel the lack resistance when I run out of primers so I have no use for an early warning system.

I have almost bought the case feeder several times and am considering it again because it's on sale now, but I have a real hard time finding the value of it. It doesn't take that long to put a case in, it seems a bullet feeder would free up more time, do I really need ammo faster than a round every 5 or 6 seconds?
Link Posted: 12/15/2008 2:04:52 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
I have had my Hornady since '98 or '99 and have probably put around 50k rounds through it without any problems, I just finally ruined my case retaining spring the other night, I will order a few from Midway at $1.89 each. Earlier this year I took the pivots apart for the first time to clean and lube it ,there are no zerks on my old model, I found no signs of wear on the shafts or any mating surfaces so I would say the press is good for several hundred thousand rounds if lubed once in a while.

I have the original priming and case eject system and the work without issue, I can feel the lack resistance when I run out of primers so I have no use for an early warning system.

I have almost bought the case feeder several times and am considering it again because it's on sale now, but I have a real hard time finding the value of it. It doesn't take that long to put a case in, it seems a bullet feeder would free up more time, do I really need ammo faster than a round every 5 or 6 seconds?<a href="http://s3.photobucket.com/albums/y59/glock2027/?action=view¤t=load.flv" target="_blank">http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y59/glock2027/th_load.jpg</a>
I made up a primer follower rod to make sure the last couple actually fed without problems-I use an old 9mm case as a weight and the rod is just long enough that when the thing is empty, the 9mm case almost touches the top of the primer magazine, so there's no need for a buzzer.

You'd be surprised at how much faster everything is with the case feeder.  Sure, I'd like a bullet feeder too, but with the case feeder, my hand only has to do ONE thing instead of two, and that's an amazing time and effort saver.

Link Posted: 12/15/2008 2:39:30 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
Great post Dave.

As for longevity, I am still using my Hornady Pro-Jector, the predecessor to the LNL. I bought it 15 years ago, used. Although I plan on buying the LNL after xmas. I don't think the Dillon is a bad press, but it is silly to watch the fits the owners of them take when it comes to what press is better.

I have a Projector I bought new in '95.

I'm close to 100,000 and it's still going strong.

Most Dillon users have no clue, they just drink the kool-aid.

I have set up a few Dillons for friends, and they have issues too.

I would get a Hornady again and can afford either.

Link Posted: 12/15/2008 3:52:18 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

"I was mistaken in my earlier attempt to compare the presses 'apples to apples' because I recently confirmed that the Hornady press doesn't include a Primer Early Warning Assembly or Follower Rod. Dillon includes these in all their presses so to be fair, one must add the price of one to Hornady's press price to normalize the pricing between the two. Hornady doesn't offer one at all so I'll use the Dillon price of $23 instead."

assigning $23.00 is adding false economy.  not since it's about purchasing

"That means that Hornady's actual price is all of $1 less than Dillon's (excluding their bullet offer which is a promotional item and could be discontinued at any time)."

But the fact is, the bullet offer adds significant value to the Hornady onceand to be fair, you have to factor it in.no you don't it's a 1 time consumable  If not, you're not being factual in your comparison as long as it's going on.  Additionally, I'm also suspecting you didn't factor in the costs of added caliber conversions.what 3 parts  For the Hornady, that's a single shellplate, a set of dies and enough LnL bushings to hold the dies and one doesn't have to figure out what one needs and doesn't need to add a caliber.  It's simple and affordable.

"Does anyone really think that Dillon's XL650 w/casefeeder is only $1 better than Hornady's LnL w/casefeeder?"

Actually, having reloaded on both and compared them both for years, the Dillon isn't as good as the Hornady, this is of course in your sample of 1even if the Hornady were the more expensive press by a significant amount.  The Hornady has consistently less (measured many times by myself and my buddy over several calibers) and again on a sample of 1runout with rifle cartridges than the Dillon, the powder measure handles extruded powder much better than the Dillon measurenot on my unmodified measure and is significantly easier to adjust/convert to other powders, loosen 1 screw is hard?the press runs smoother and is larger and easier to get one's hands in and out ofmaybe if you have cucumber fingers, the primer disposal system keeps the press clean, so minimal cleaning is required, while primer on the Dillon allows the press to get dirtyon your 1 sample, mine does not.  So the Hornady... Blah,Blah,Blah  I forgot to mention...more Blah,Blah    

"You don't need to have any more than 1 powder measure if that's your thing. Loosen 2 bolts and it comes right off so you can install it on another set. It takes all of about 15 seconds to remove and install it on another."

But the fact is, signficant amounts of Dillon owners find the hassle of changing over the powder measure over time enough that they do buy additional powder measures.  My buddy did.  Uhmm so what?I, on the other hand, bought two micrometer inserts, one rifle, one pistol ten years ago when I bought my press and have never felt the need to buy another powder measure for the press.and?  Additionally, my buddy often comments on how much he likes my powder measure. which doesn't mean anything since this is about preference,I have proven they work as much as you have proven they don't At least he did, until he started buying Hornady measures for...More Blah,Blah,Blah

"No, it isn't. I'm trying to start a discussion about the technical differences between the two presses because, as I've shown, they are pretty much the same price. "

1. Die handling:  Hornady uses LnL bushings, Dillon uses a toolhead.  LnL bushings allow for changing individual dies/etc. while leaving other stuff on board.  LnL bushings are extremely fast to do caliber conversions with.  Faster than a Dillon tool head.2 pins here  LnL bushings allow the brass to center better in the die, providing better runout on rifle cartridges.  

2.  Powder measures:  Hornady uses a rotating cylinder very similar to many excellent powder measures on the market, such as RCBS Uniflow.  Dillon uses a sliding bar measure, similar to many older measures who for the most part are no longer sold, except on shotgun reloaders and Dillon presses.somehow I still get .1gr accuracy but dead on 90%

3.  Casefeeder:  Hornady's casefeeder is damn near the same piece of crap Dillon sells.  Except for the part next to the press, which is a bit better design.  Both have that same cheesy motor and same cheesy plastic disksand you would have what a 1/2hp 3 phase motor with steel disc's? come on!.  About a draw and I suspect the Hornady casefeeder is made by Dillon, hence the high price on the casefeeder.  

4.  Case retention:  Hornady uses a spring, Dillon uses pins.  The spring can be damaged if you're not careful and the pins can be lost.  That said, I haven't damaged a spring in about 9 years, but my buddy has dropped and spent hours searching for pins over that time.sounds like your buddy is the problem not the pins  Overall, it's a wash if your reloading room is clean.

5.  Advance mechanism:  Hornady's is a bit smoothernevermind, but both work very well.

6.  Size:  The Hornady is a larger press and is easier to get one's hands into.again CUCUMBER fingers,I have no problem

"If the Hornady press is mechanically the equal (features, design, quality, durability, ergonomics, etc.) of the Dillon press, then I, an XL650 owner, would have no problems recommending it over my press."

One thing I find consistently on the net is Dillon owners assuming the Hornady "might" just be equal to the Dillon.  After ten years of reloading on both and having owned a 550 before the LnL,this does not "qualify you" then I can honestly say I think the Hornady LnL AP is superior to the Dillon 650.  You would have to go to a 1050 to get a better press than the Hornady.  The superiority of the Dillon, I've found, is a myth.  as is the superiority of theredIt's a great press, but not better or even as good as the Hornady. I'm not saying that because I'm in love with the Hornady.you are as I mine  I'm saying it because I've found, over years of time comparing and contrasting the two, it's the truthwith the one 650 you had for comparison.  If the Dillon had been better, I'd have long ago gotten rid of my LnL and gotten a 650, as I'm all about best value for the money and could care less who and how many people bought what.thats why you are enlightening us of the dillon junk

"There isn't anything magical about Dillon's products. I'm really interested in the Hornady brand as it could be a better deal for those looking for a quality progressive with a casefeeder. It's true that many Dillon owners get 'nuts' with a separate complete toolhead for every caliber (hell, I've got a complete toolhead setup for 40sw and another one for 10mm). I guess we feel that a bit more money to get the convenience we want is worth it but that approach isn't for everyone."

The really odd thingits a blue thing, you wouldn't understand about the Hornady is one can have the convenience, without buying all those toolheads and powder measures.  The LnL bushing system and powder measure more blah, blah

"Right now I can't in good conscience recommend another brand of progressive press because of the information I have about the issues with Lee's Loadmaster and Pro 1000, RCBS' 2000, Lyman offerings (they don't make a progressive that I'm aware of) and the previous versions of Hornady's LnL."

Not sure which version you're talking about, but mine is ten years old.  During that time, I've seen Hornady steadily and consistently work to improve their product.  I've not seen a single change out of the Dillon line.in what the magazines or the 1 you have to compare  The version I have has been better than my buddy's 650.  I'm sure the latest version is significantly better in many aspects.ahh sure

"In a previous thread (What is the ultimate reloader???) I asked the following questions.  I honestly don't know so I'm asking those of you that have one."

Mine is ten years old and I've used it constantly.  It looks and acts the same as the day I bought it.  I do period maintenance such as removing old lubricant and replacing it with new fairly frequently, but the main thing that's kept it new is the primer disposal system, that keeps spent primer residue away from the press.

I don't know how many rounds I've loaded, but I would guess that many ore more.  Looks and performs like new.

Basically, it is a much larger version of an RCBS Uniflow, except it's more heavy duty and has a huge hopper.  Handles every single thing I've ever put in it, especially extruded powders.

Not that I've seen, unless it's not adjusted correctly.  But you only have to do that once when you first set it up.  You do however, have to keep it clean and free of debris.  But you have to do those two things with any progressive you buy.not on god's650  Not rocket science.  If you set up the timing and adjust the primer feed (simple things to do) they hold their adjustment and the press runs smooth as butter. not on a 650

Of course, if you don't have the minimum mechanical aptitude to adjust and setup an automatic advance progressive, you should be buying a 550, not a 650 or a LnL AP.  After all, these are machines and do need some minimal adjustments when setup.

and to each his own.we like what we like.either of these are good presses

I have no idea.  I have no interest in selling mine, though the latest version is tempting.  My son is threatening to steal mine, so that might be a way to justify buying another.

There ya go.  Honest opinions.  If I didn't truly believe in what I've said, I wouldn't post what I've said.

"I've got a neighbor interested in reloading. He's using my 650 currently but he'll soon be considering a press setup for himself. I want to recommend the best value for him as he's a bit tight on money with a family growing up. If the LnL turns out to be a better candidate than a Dillon, I want to be able to honestly recommend it to him over my setup."

Before you going recommending a progressive setup for him, you might want to consider how much reloading componentry he can afford.  IF one can only afford a thousand rounds of components, makes no difference how fast one's press is.  Because after an hour or so, it's sitting idle quite a long time.  If he's got kids, I strongly suggest you steer him towards two excellent values in reloading presses/setups right now:

1.  The Lee Classic Turret - it's as good as any Hornady or Dillon offering quality wise, is reasonably quick at 200 plus rounds an hour, has excellent primer disposal, keeping the press clean and is very affordable, leaving the young person with money to buy components.  It's made of cast iron and steel.  An excellent value for a new reloader.  It's fast enough that if I had purchased this years ago, I would have never needed a progressive.

2.  The Lee Classic Cast single stage press - I had this setup for a month next to my Rock Chucker.  In the end, I sold my Rock Chucker, this press is that much better.  

With those two presses, a couple of Pro Auto Disk measures and an RCBS Uniflow, your young reloader would be setup for a lot of fine reloading at a very affordable price.  Later, when he's got more cash available, can afford more and his children no longer need diapers, etc., he can upgrade to a progressive.

I sincerely believe that 90% of reloaders out there would have all their needs easily and happily met with the above setup.

Regards,

Dave

well Dave you can get upset at what I've posted but all of this is "opinion".the only fact is these are all excellent tools for producing a quality product, and you posted your experience with 1 xl650.
since you made it sound like junk and COsteve wasn't gonna step up, I did.if you can put it up you can take it.the xl650 produces quality ammunition.if it didn't there would be no Dillon presses.I think your buddy needs to have his looked at if it is putting out rounds with excessive runout.that is not an indication that a dillon product is incapable.there are people in my circle that speak the same of hornadys presses.

this would be a clue
Link Posted: 12/15/2008 6:04:18 PM EDT
[#24]
I think we should all just be happy that we have not one but many good presses to choose from.  We live in a great country when these sorts of things can occupy our time and energy.
Link Posted: 12/15/2008 8:57:59 PM EDT
[#25]
mrrick,

Dave is entitled to his opinion on the value of his press as we are with ours.  I rebutted the factually incorrect element of his post and left it to the individual readers to decided if they shared his view on those opinions he provided.

BTW, why do many Dillon owners feel so offended when someone has something good to say about another brand of press?  If it works for him then fine for him.  It seems to me that this is more of a Ford vs Chevy kind of thing.

Life's too short to get one's panties in a bunch over whether or not the rest of the world likes something you purchased and are happy with.  I've gone from 550B to XL650 w/casefeeder instead of Lee, Hornady, or RCBS and I'm perfectly satisfied with my choice.
Link Posted: 12/15/2008 9:52:10 PM EDT
[#26]
Anyone that can get .1 gr accuracy and 90% dead on is using ball powder,,not stick powder,, otherwise, I call BS
I have all the tweaks done on mine, and no way does the Dillon get that accuracy with stick powder.
'Borg
Link Posted: 12/16/2008 1:32:43 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
a Ford vs Chevy kind of thing.

I'm a car guy, and that's a great analogy.
Link Posted: 12/16/2008 9:02:20 AM EDT
[#28]
mrrick,

Answers to your comments below, in Dillon blue, for your pleasure.  Don't go getting all Dillon Blue wound up and emotional on me though.

Quoted:

once

Once is enough to add value.  If you don't have to spend money on components, you are saving money on components.  If you discount the price of the components off the press, you are saving money.  Either way, you're saving money, whether it is one time or many.  

no you don't it's a 1 time consumable

Consumable or not, bullets are consumables one has to buy to reload.  If you don't have to pay for a thousand, the cost of that thousand can be applied to a press purchase, which is also a one time expensive.  That said, no matter how you look at it, one gets free bullets with the Hornady and NOT with the Dillon.  Free hats don't provide reloaded ammo, but bullets do.  I already own plenty of hats, don't need any "Dillon Goodies" they give you when stuff fails.

what 3 parts

Not sure exactly what you're talking about here, but regardless, I've always been, over a ten year period, at least fifty bucks under my buddy's cost for a caliber conversion.   He buys his stuff from Brian Enos, which, if I'm not mistaken, is one of the better priced Dillon outlets.  I buy mine from whomever has the best current deal/sale.  Hornady's pricing is retail based, allowing one to get really nice sale deals occasionally.  You can call him a idiot, but he's the one buying the Dillon stuff and making the Dillon purchases, not I.  OF course, you can spend your time figuring out what parts you have to buy or not buy for your Dillon caliber conversion if you wish, I don't have to do that, as I bought the Hornday.

this is of course in your sample of 1

My "sample" also includes the men I've shot High Power with over a ten year plus period.  Over that entire span, they've all had similar issues and none use their Dillon to load their 600 yard ammo.  Evidentally, their single stage presses provided better ammo for that distance.  My Hornady provided minute of angle ammo in every rifle I loaded for.  Other men have had similar experiences with the runout.  Fella put out a document about this, where he compared a Lee Loadmaster, a Dillon 650 and a Hornady LnL.  

and again on a sample of 1

See above commentary.  I originally stated my experience, which includes significant involvement with Dillon products.  I only own one Hornady, true, but others who own these presses are receiving the same experiences.  Deny if you wish, but that's what the buggy makers did when automobiles came along.

not on my unmodified measure

And you own a Hornady measure to compare to?  Your answers say you do not.  Frequently, in many reloading boards, I read where fellas are having trouble with their Dillon measures.  They are advised to "polish the interior" and add parts/knobs to make the measure easier to adjust/tune the powder dispensing levels.  Ultimately, the Dillon measure is still a sliding bar measure and were it superior, Redding, Hornady, RCBS, Lyman, Mulden and many other high end measures would not be rotating drum, they would be sliding bar.  The fact is, none of those companies put out a sliding bar measure for metallic cartridge reloading.  Why?  Because for precision reloading and powder dispensing accuracy, the rotating drum is superior.  One merely needs to read Precision Reloading magazine for a time to realize this.

loosen 1 screw is hard?

I always notice the fact the Dillon takes a good bit of fiddling to get the powder set, even with the added knobery from Home Depot, is omitted in these sort of discussions.  Fact is, the Hornady can be set much more quickly and easiliy, even if one switches rotating drums from rifle to pistol, because the micrometer inserts make it that easy.  OF course, they are a "one time" purchase and by your notion, cannot be included in this discussion.

maybe if you have cucumber fingers

I've always considered false assumptions and items that can be considered personal attacks to indicate an individual is losing or is feeling like they will soon lose the argument.  Say what you wish, the Hornady press runs smoother and is larger, with more room to work.  These facts are true and larger with more room is considered by most folks I know who work with their hands to be a good thing.  As an aside, I wear a medium men's glove and have slender fingers.  Additionally, I have a high mechanical aptitude, having worked for years in areas requiring such.  Regardless, the Hornady is larger, runs smoother and has more room to work.  A fact that cannot be denied.

on your 1 sample, mine does not

Ok, the one sample thing is pretty ridiculous here, you're sounding as repetitive as Alan Coombs doing his rant on a "woman's right to choose" thingie and no, I'm not saying you are Alan, as just saying you are as repetitive.  

The Hornady has a tube attached to the subplate that routes spent primers away from the press and to whereever one routes the disposal plastic tube, such as a coffee can to catch the spent primers or a garbage can.  The Dillon has a catch tray that fills with nasty primers and has to be emptied.  Frequently, during emptying, the primer filth gets on the press.  The coarse granules do cause mechanical wear, acting like grains of sand within the mechanisms of the press.  Hence, one hears of Dillon owners sending their presses back for rebuilds.  In ten years, my LnL has shown no appreciable wear.

So the Hornady... Blah,Blah,Blah  I forgot to mention...more Blah,Blah    

Again, a personal attack, always a sign one feels one arguments are not going to win.

Uhmm so what?

The so what is when one doesn't have to buy additional powder measures because one is NOT inconvenienced by the adjustment of one's powder measure, one can spend that money on guns or something else.  Again, sounding frustrated, you are.

I, on the other hand, bought two micrometer inserts, one rifle, one pistol ten years ago when I bought my press and have never felt the need to buy another powder measure for the press.and?

And I spent the hundred of dollars I would have spent on Dillon measures on reloading components and guns.

Additionally, my buddy often comments on how much he likes my powder measure. which doesn't mean anything since this is about preference,I have proven they work as much as you have proven they don't

You'd like to say it's about preference, but it isn't.  He likes the Hornady measures because they were easier for him to use and improved his reloading experience.  Since he's been a hard core Dillon Blue man, that indicates the Hornady tool must be better, since his preference is for Dillon equipment.

At least he did, until he started buying Hornady measures for
...More Blah,Blah,Blah

Apparently it's blah blah blah you don't have answers to, so you've resorted again to a personal attack.  Again, a sign of an individual who's losing an argument.

1. Die handling:  Hornady uses LnL bushings, Dillon uses a toolhead.  LnL bushings allow for changing individual dies/etc. while leaving other stuff on board.  LnL bushings are extremely fast to do caliber conversions with.  Faster than a Dillon tool head.2 pins here

OH, but what about swapping that powder measure and getting it setup?  Oh, you're now significantly over the time it took me to do a caliber change on the Hornady.

2.  Powder measures:  Hornady uses a rotating cylinder very similar to many excellent powder measures on the market, such as RCBS Uniflow.  Dillon uses a sliding bar measure, similar to many older measures who for the most part are no longer sold, except on shotgun reloaders and Dillon presses.somehow I still get .1gr accuracy but dead on 90%

On a sample of 1?  My 550 measure didn't do anywhere even close to that good with 4895.  It pretty much stunk up the joint at around .3.  So do my buddy's 5 Dillon measures he hasn't modified.  Even the ones he's polished get at best around .2.  Not acceptable for the 600 yard line.  And apparently, that's what most of those guys shooting High Power I knew found.  Either the runout or the powder dispending accuracy didn't get it.

3.  Casefeeder:  Hornady's casefeeder is damn near the same piece of crap Dillon sells.  Except for the part next to the press, which is a bit better design.  Both have that same cheesy motor and same cheesy plastic disksand you would have what a 1/2hp 3 phase motor with steel disc's? come on!

I don't like either the Hornady or the Dillon casefeeder.  I'd like a better, smoother, stronger running motor (can be done without a huge motor like you're describing, don't be ridiculous) and better plastic for the disks.

4.  Case retention:  Hornady uses a spring, Dillon uses pins.  The spring can be damaged if you're not careful and the pins can be lost.  That said, I haven't damaged a spring in about 9 years, but my buddy has dropped and spent hours searching for pins over that time.sounds like your buddy is the problem not the pins

Regardless of wether it's him or the pins, those things are still easy to drop, bounce out of sight and get lost.

5.  Advance mechanism:  Hornady's is a bit smoothernevermind

It's smoother, nevermind doesn't change that.

, but both work very well.

6.  Size:  The Hornady is a larger press and is easier to get one's hands into.again CUCUMBER fingers,I have no problem

Again, disparaging others with personal attacks.  What you're not taking into account is there ARE men with cucumber fingers that'll greatly appreciate that larger space.  And those like myself, with average sized hands, slender fingers appreciate the extra room.

One thing I find consistently on the net is Dillon owners assuming the Hornady "might" just be equal to the Dillon.  After ten years of reloading on both and having owned a 550 before the LnL,this does not "qualify you" then

In your OPINION, the OP asked and I answered, having significant experience loading on all three presses.  You, on the  other hand, know little or nothing about the Hornady from what you've posted.  You've merely trying to defend your press.  I don't like my Hornady because it's a Hornady and I have brand faith.  If Dillon came out with a new press in the LnL's price range that was better, I'd dump my Hornady and buy it.  But they haven't.

I can honestly say I think the Hornady LnL AP is superior to the Dillon 650.  You would have to go to a 1050 to get a better press than the Hornady.  The superiority of the Dillon, I've found, is a myth.  as is the superiority of thered

Sorry bud, if you haven't used all three extensively, you don't know.  I have.

It's a great press, but not better or even as good as the Hornady. I'm not saying that because I'm in love with the Hornady.you are as I mine  

No, I'm not in love with mine.  I'd dump it for another superior press in the same price range.  You "emotional" "love" perspective is clouding your judgement, not mine.  My comments are based on many experiences with both, not because I particularly love Hornady's products.

I'm saying it because I've found, over years of time comparing and contrasting the two, it's the truth

with the one 650 you had for comparison

I'm not the only one whose done the comparison or had the opportunity to.  Others have had the same experience.  A vast majority I've seen posting on the net, or in person, who've done comparisons end up giving the Hornady the knod.

If the Dillon had been better, I'd have long ago gotten rid of my LnL and gotten a 650, as I'm all about best value for the money and could care less who and how many people bought what.thats why you are enlightening us of the dillon junk

You personal attack foo is weak and getting boring.

The really odd thingits a blue thing, you wouldn't understand

You forget, I owned a "blue thing" before.  Again, that's emotionalism you're offering, nothing substantial, just emotionalism.

about the Hornady is one can have the convenience, without buying all those toolheads and powder measures.  The LnL bushing system and powder measure more blah, blah

Another personal attack with nothing substantial to counter with.  Ya gotta do better dude.

Not sure which version you're talking about, but mine is ten years old.  During that time, I've seen Hornady steadily and consistently work to improve their product.  I've not seen a single change out of the Dillon line.in what the magazines or the 1 you have to compare  

The only addition Dillon has made to their 650/550 offerings in the last ten years has been a casefeeder adaptation to the 550, something that Brian Enos advises new purchasers not to buy, instead advising them to buy a 650 in order to enjoy the benefits of a casefeeder, as it only adds about 25% production improvement.  His words, not mine.  Other than that, Dillon has rested on their laurels.  If you don't know what product improvements have been going on in the reloading industry, that's on you and I'm not obligated to keep you informed.  I suggest you do some reading, both on the net and in the magazines.  Again, you're wearing out the sample of 1 thing.  Has nothing to do with keeping informed.  

The version I have has been better than my buddy's 650.  I'm sure the latest version is significantly better in many aspects.ahh sure

Commentary online on multiple boards indicate it to be so.  Maybe you don't read multiple forums and aren't well informed.  Again, that's on you to keep yourself informed on what's going on in the reloading industry.

What, no commentary on this?

Not that I've seen, unless it's not adjusted correctly.  But you only have to do that once when you first set it up.  You do however, have to keep it clean and free of debris.  But you have to do those two things with any progressive you buy.not on god's650

I've seen 650 and 550's with primer feed problems.  In fact, the reason I got rid of my 550.  So blow that smoke somewhere else.  AS far as the God thing, I think you're a little over the edge with that one and might want to look at what you're posting.

Not rocket science.  If you set up the timing and adjust the primer feed (simple things to do) they hold their adjustment and the press runs smooth as butter. not on a 650

Not my fault your 650 doesn't run smooth as butter.

and to each his own.we like what we like.either of these are good presses

The OP asked about establishing which was better.  Not what we liked.  I'll agree both are good presses, I'm simply saying, after using both, the LnL is better.

There ya go.  Honest opinions.

Opinions based on experience you lack, therefore you don't know if they're answers or opinions and you have no basis, not even a sample of a single comparison, to compare.

If I didn't truly believe in what I've said, I wouldn't post what I've said.

well Dave you can get upset at what I've posted but all of this is "opinion".

Nah, getting upset over internet silliness ain't worth the time.  True, they are my opinions, but that's all any of us have to offer.  That said, my "opinions" are based on not only my buddy's 650, but commentary of other Dillon owners at many, many high power ranges over years and years of shooting.  Most commented they didn't use their Dillons for loading at the 600 yard line, because they said it didn't meet their accuracy requirements.  I did use mine Hornady LnL for loading at the 600 yard line because it DID meet my needs.  That's not an opinion.  That's a fact.

the only fact is these are all excellent tools for producing a quality product, and you posted your experience with 1 xl650.

More than one (my High Power buddies) I just mentioned one specifically.  Your mistake in that you assumed there was only one.  Additionally, I read and pay attention to what's going on on many reloading forums.  Apparently, you have not.

since you made it sound like junk and COsteve wasn't gonna step up, I did.if you can put it up you can take it.

You read my commentary to mean the Dillon was junk.  I never said it was junk.  I simply stated that when compared directly to the Hornady in several areas, the Dillon was not quite as good.  It's a excellent press for reloading pistol and does well with rifle at shorter distances.

the xl650 produces quality ammunition.if it didn't there would be no Dillon presses.I think your buddy needs to have his looked at if it is putting out rounds with excessive runout.that is not an indication that a dillon product is incapable.there are people in my circle that speak the same of hornadys presses.

I didn't say he had excessive runout.  What I said was the Hornady produces better runout.  There's a difference.  Had you read closer, you would have seen that.  And I'm not the only one getting better runout, others online have posted similar results.  The fella that put out the .pdf on comparing the Hornady, Dillon and Lee got the same results.  You may claim otherwise, but if your buddies have their press timed up correctly (an easy thing to do) their runout will beat the Dillons.

this would be a clue

Attempting to label someone clueless when you have no actual experience comparing the two is pretty is pretty silly.

Regards,

Dave

Dave In Flowery Branch GA on the High Road forum and Cast Boolits forum

Link Posted: 12/16/2008 9:59:23 AM EDT
[#29]
CoSteve,

Answers in context below.

Quoted:

Thanks for the information.

You're welcome

"On the whole I think your opinions are fairly straight forward."

I tried to be.  Apparently some took it I think the Dillon is junk.  I don't, I think it's fine press.  I've just found the Hornady to be a bit better over a long period of time than my buddy's and others Dillons.  It's not a huge "better," but I have found it to be better.

"The only thing I find in error is your opening statement, "But since one can make one out of brass rod or dowel rod one gets from the hardware store for a couple of dollars, assigning $23.00 is adding false economy."  The $23 was for both the rod and the warning buzzer.  And, per Hornady in my recent phone call, no, they don't offer the rod."

I didn't realize Dillon now offers the primer warning system with the press.  Something I'll have to add into the factoring.  That said, the rod I have used for years has been more than sufficient for me.  I'll have to concede this one.   I took it you were buying it when you bought the Dillon.  That said, I'm not sure I'd need or want a buzzer to interrupt the peace of my reloading sessions, which are pretty quiet and very focused.

"In addition, you overlooked the cost of caliber specific powder through dies for pistol conversions and different case plates for the casefeeder (same as Dillon)."

I mostly load rifle and only have one pistol, .45ACP.  I've found over the years I didn't want to load for half a dozen calibers, so I changed my inventory of weapons to reflect minimal caliber variations, especially in pistol.  Now I only have .45ACP and .380 ACP pistols.  I don't reload for the .380 due to the fact it's a carry a lot, shoot a little firearm and I own a couple thousand rounds of practice ammo and a couple hundred rounds of defense ammo.  I'll not likely ever reload for it, though I did buy the dies, etc. to do so.

"Also, I don't think I have one caliber that, when converting to it, I don't have to replace all the dies so for me 2 pins and the whole toolhead comes off works easier than taking out each die one at a time."

I want to make you aware how easily a lock and lock bushing is to swap out.  It's a simple twist and click, both for in and out.  I keep the dies and the bushings in my die boxes, so they're extremely easy to store.  I lay the boxes out on the reloading bench, take a replacement die from the box, remove the "done with" die I want out of the press one at a time, pop the new die in thepress and lay the "done with" in it's storage box.  A couple seconds later (literally) when I'm done, I close both boxes and put them back with the other dies. The convenience and speed is actually faster than changing a Dillon toolhead.  It's not like screwing a die in and out at all.  This is something most folks have a hard time seeing, don't know why.

"BTW, my personal preference is to not have the individual die approach as I'm world famous for losing things and I like them all together on one toolhead so I have a better chance of finding them (but that's my individual preference)."

Now this, I can agree with totally.  I find keeping the die sets in the original die boxes (I use Hornady die boxes, even for other brands now.)  is very convenient for me and allows me to store them easily and in a very small amount of space.  No toolhead stands for me, whether homemade or otherwise.

"Seems that Hornady's powder measure design might be superior to Dillon's at first glance but since I polished my .233 powder die as I wrote in a thread, I've had a chance to try some extruded powder and I was surprised at how consistent the throws are now.  Hornady's rotary approach is a different one but not necessarily a better one."

What I've seen over the years with Dillon owners is they polish the measure to get it to handle extruded powders and add knobs from Home Depot to make it easier to adjust.  I've never needed to polish my measure, just clean the shipping grease off of it.  I did have to buy the micrometers, but those are what makes it so extremely convenient for me.  Once you set the measure for a specific load, you record the numbers from the micrometer.  Next time you reload that load, you use the numbers and you're extremely quick right back at the same powder weight.  Very convenient.  My buddy ends up fiddling with his measure to get the powder load he wants dialed in.  While I don't think polishing is a big deal, I do think the micrometer setup on the Hornady is faster and more convenient.

"Truly, the number of powder die setups one has isn't a function of the press but rather a function of the laziness of the press owner."

Or it could be a function of time.  My buddy is a part time gunsmith and a full time Engineering Manager.  He doesn't have a lot of time.  He did tell me he prefers the Hornady measures he's purchased over his Dillons and he owns now 5 Dillons and a Hornady.

"I for one stated that I have a complete setup (including powder measure) for each caliber I shoot (even a separate one for 40sw and 10mm).  Why?  Because I'm lazy, I'm older and don't want to be bothered with adjusting things, I can afford them, and I've got room for them."

That's the nice thing about the Hornady for me.  I'm older too, I'm lazy too and I find the Hornady is so easy and quick to swap calibers, I'm not inconvenienced, so it doesn't stir up my laziness enough I'm motivated to buy more measures.

"As I said, I'm not tied to Dillon and who knows, I might just recommend the LnL to my noobie reloading friend, however, he has said that when he gets a press he wants one like mine so that he'll always have a source for answers."

A couple things think about related to your new reloader:

One, keep keenly aware of his budget for buying reloading supplies before pushing him in a direction.  An idle press isn't doing him much good if he's not got enough supplies to feed the beast.  Better he buy a less expensive setup and have lots of money left over for components than he spend it all on a press he won't be able to reload for very long before he's out of cash.  

Second, a buddy of mine bought a 450 and a single stage years ago.  He reloads at about 200 rounds per hour on the 450.  At that speed, he's been able to keep himself and friends in hunting and IDPA ammo for years with no problem.  He has invested money wise about the same as what the Lee Classic Turret I mentioned to you costs.  He's spend the rest of the dough over the years on reloading components.  I think he's made the better investment.  He's never been able to justify upgrading the press, though he's lusted for a 550, 650 or LnL.

Finally, the Lee Classic turret setup I mentioned to you I purchased in the last year.  I've found it to be equality in quality and performance to the Dillon and Hornady offerings.  I've been pleasantly surprised, as I bought it for a toy to play with.  It now loads various milsurp calibers I don't need a progressive to reload for and I'm too lazy to load on a single stage.   For example 7.62 X 54, 7.5 X 55 and 6.5 X 55.  I load about a hundred of these calibers at a time.  The Lee Classic Turret makes this a 30 minute job and has been very convenient and cheap for me.  I'm even considering giving my Hornady to my son, who's getting into High Power and IDPA and just using the Lee for my needs, which are lessening, as I no longer shoot competitively.

Finally, the one thing you have to offer him about reloading, once he's bought the equipment, is your experience with the Dillon equipment.  If he runs into trouble, you know the equipment and can help him trouble shoot it pretty easily.  The Hornady stuff is of a different design and you'd have to learn how it operates.  This alone may be worth advising him to get the Dillon stuff.  That said, I bought a 550 on my buddy's advice originally and never liked it and had lots of trouble with it, to his chagrin.  After a few months, I switched to Hornady and we've had a great time over the years playing with each other's toys.  

Just some thoughts to think about.

Link Posted: 12/16/2008 10:06:21 AM EDT
[#30]
Interesting how this thread has gone.  I started out with my observation that the LnL and 650, when casefeeders are included, are similarly priced (which is true).  The difference is virtually nil when a buzzer and follower rod are added to the Hornady primer feed setup as comes std with the Dillon.  What's also true is currently Hornady gives a bonus for 1,000 bullets of your choice.  What I've also found out is that caliber change pricing can be cheaper on the Hornady than for the 650.  

Note I said "it can be cheaper" rather than "it always is" cheaper.  I said this because Hornady has extra cost powder measure drums that most buy for different calibers and Hornady's powder measure is considerably more expensive than Dillon's.  So it depends upon what the individual reloader wants to purchase for his/her setup.  

Dillons are blue and Hornadys are red.  So much for fact.  

What I believe I've discovered is:

The Hornady powder measure is, by design, more accurate when using extruded powders.  Anecdotal reports seem to confirm this. There is a disagreement on whether the Dillon powder measure can be 'tuned' to duplicate Hornady's extruded powder accuracy.  

Both presses appear to be built with long term use in mind.  Both seem to be quality machines with adequate engineering support to address discovered shortcomings.  

As I stated above, Hornady doesn't offer a low primer alarm and I believe that to be a significant oversight.  Adding one is a matter of purchasing the Dillon unit and then performing whatever modifications are necessary.  

Further, there seems to me to be a different mindset between Hornady and Dillon users on what is 'convenient' for them.  Hornady users rave about the ability to remove a single die with ease while Dillon users rave about the ease of removing the entire toolhead.

So much for what I believe.

Dave states that in his experience, 600yd shooters don't use their Dillons while LnL users (him) do.  I'll take his word for it.  There are plenty of statics that demonstrate that Dillon presses are the overwhelming favorites over Hornady at IPSC, IPDA, USPSA, CMP, NRA Action Pistol, and GSSF matches, sometimes by close to 100 to 1.

What's the bottom line?  It's really up to the individual on what they want to use.  Both presses appear to have strengths and weakness and so its up to the individual to decide.  Price alone isn't a significant determinate but rather how one decides to outfit their setups.
Link Posted: 12/16/2008 11:13:16 AM EDT
[#31]
Counter points to what COSteve has said above:

"Note I said "it can be cheaper" rather than "it always is" cheaper."

In ten years, my caliber conversions have "always" been cheaper than my buddy's 650 caliber conversions.  I believe that's probably valid as a fact at this point.

"I said this because Hornady has extra cost powder measure drums that most buy for different calibers."

The measure comes with one drum for rifle capacity, not caliber, you'd have to buy the pistol capacity drum and the two micrometer inserts.  They're not especially expensive.  Often, when discussing these things, it's hard for one side to realize what is actually going on with the other, because the designs are so different, it is hard to compare them.

Hornady's powder measure is considerably more expensive than Dillon's.

But no Hornady owner that I know has ever had to buy a second one, so net, it ends up cheap than the Dillons.  MOST Dillon owners I know own more than one powder measure.  They say they don't have to, but they buy them for the convenience.  Most Hornady owners do not buy them, as they don't need the convenience, as they already have it.  A drum and two micrometers is cheaper than one more Dillon powder measure.  After that, you have to buy no more powder measures for any reason, even convenience.

"So it depends upon what the individual reloader wants to purchase for his/her setup."

And how much they're willing to spend.  In the end, after ten years, I've seen the Dillons and most Dillon owners having invested more in their presses and accessories.

Dillons are blue and Hornadys are red.  So much for fact.  

What I believe I've discovered is:

The Hornady powder measure is, by design, more accurate when using extruded powders.  Anecdotal reports seem to confirm this. There is a disagreement on whether the Dillon powder measure can be 'tuned' to duplicate Hornady's extruded powder accuracy.  

Should it even have to be if it were a superior design?

Both presses appear to be built with long term use in mind.  Both seem to be quality machines with adequate engineering support to address discovered shortcomings.  

I'll buy into that.

As I stated above, Hornady doesn't offer a low primer alarm and I believe that to be a significant oversight.  Adding one is a matter of purchasing the Dillon unit and then performing whatever modifications are necessary.  

As a Hornady owner, I've found it to be of little consequence, as the Hornady does provide me adequate feel to know when I'm running low and out of primers.  Additionally, a $2.00 dowel is more than adequate to provide a visual clue.  I've never had need for an item I've considered superfluous on my press.  However, I would agree Dillons need this device, as the feel isn't there.  At least not on my buddy's machine.

Further, there seems to me to be a different mindset between Hornady and Dillon users on what is 'convenient' for them.  Hornady users rave about the ability to remove a single die with ease while Dillon users rave about the ease of removing the entire toolhead.

Again, it's not just about removing a single die.  I can swap all the dies faster on my Hornady than I can swap a toolhead on my buddy's 650 or my 550 and I'm experienced reloading with both for years and years.  Not just a little faster, a lot, several minutes of time.  

Dave states that in his experience, 600yd shooters don't use their Dillons while LnL users (him) do.  I'll take his word for it.  There are plenty of statics that demonstrate that Dillon presses are the overwhelming favorites over Hornady at IPSC, USPSA, CMP, NRA Action Pistol, and GSSF matches, sometimes by close to 100 to 1.

Either press is more than adequate for pistol and Dillons are excellent pistol presses.  But the Dillon has been out many more years in it's current rendition, while the LnL AP is a fairly new and recently developing product, much like Dillon was back in the eighties.  Given time, starting with the current press on, I believe the Hornady will take more and more market share away from Dillon, unless Dillon begins to improve their product, as it is getting dated in it's design.

What's the bottom line?  It's really up to the individual on what they want to use.

This, I agree with.  Choose based on your budget, your reloading needs and personal inclinations as well as press features.

Both presses appear to have strengths and weakness and so its up to the individual to decide.  Price alone isn't a significant determinate but rather how one decides to outfit their setups.

But price can be an important determinant.  Most reloaders do not need the speed of a casefeeder for their reloading and many will never buy one.  When the casefeeder is taken out of consideration, the price difference becomes significant between the LnL and the 650, with the 650 being much more expensive when casefeeders are not considered.  

If one's volumes do not demand a casefeeder and one is shooting a lot of rifle, take a hard look at the Hornady LnL, you'll be glad you did.

Regards,

Dave
Link Posted: 12/16/2008 11:29:10 AM EDT
[#32]
I always have a good laugh when people are fighting (words) regarding brand loyalty/preferences.  I work hard for my money, therefore, I want to get the best value for my hard earned green.  I just purchased the Hornady LNL AP (current model with the EZject) for $380 shipped.  Also got the 1000 .45ACP XTP bullets (cheapest I can find with shipping if purchase the bullets alone is $250 shipped) for a cost of $21.XX shipping fee.  Got 3 shellplates (9mm, .45acp and .223) and 10 extra die bushings for $120 shipped.

Summary (including shipping)

Press = $380
3 Shellplates + 10 Bushings = $120
Shipping for free bullets = $21
Grand total = $521
Value of free bullets = $250

Net cost: $271

That is my net cost ready to load 3 calibers.  I use cheap Lee dies and is extremely happy with them.  I don't think you can beat this setup for 3 calibers with a Dillon XL650 for $271.  I am not a high volume shooter (don't need the case feeder or any other fancy setup).

It's your money. Spend it wisely and happy shooting.

Yg
Link Posted: 12/16/2008 12:47:23 PM EDT
[#33]
Dave, I'm sorry but I have to call BS on a one of your points above as being just plain untrue.

I said, "Further, there seems to me to be a different mindset between Hornady and Dillon users on what is 'convenient' for them.  Hornady users rave about the ability to remove a single die with ease while Dillon users rave about the ease of removing the entire toolhead."

You said, "Again, it's not just about removing a single die.  I can swap all the dies faster on my Hornady than I can swap a toolhead on my buddy's 650 or my 550 and I'm experienced reloading with both for years and years.  Not just a little faster, a lot, several minutes of time."

You obviously haven't ever changed a toolhead on a Dillon because the process takes less time than it took me to type this sentence.

You also have speculated on the future and not stuck to the present.  Dillon may make a new powder measure and Hornady LnLs may make inroads into the IPSC, USPSA, CMP, NRA Action Pistol, and GSSF matches but neither has of today.

Finely, I said, "Both presses appear to have strengths and weakness and so its up to the individual to decide.  Price alone isn't a significant determinate but rather how one decides to outfit their setups."

You said, "But price can be an important determinant.  Most reloaders do not need the speed of a casefeeder for their reloading and many will never buy one.  When the casefeeder is taken out of consideration, the price difference becomes significant between the LnL and the 650, with the 650 being much more expensive when casefeeders are not considered.  

If one's volumes do not demand a casefeeder and one is shooting a lot of rifle, take a hard look at the Hornady LnL, you'll be glad you did.
"

The problem with your line of thinking is two fold.  1st, that was the basic premise of my original post; comparing the LnL + it's casefeeder with an XL650 + it's casefeeder.  2nd, your supposition that rifle shooters can't benefit from a casefeeder is just plain wrong.

In fact, the casefeeder provides the largest process speed increase over presses without casefeeders when processing necked rifle cases because one has to process each case twice; once for case prep and once for reloading.  Loading each case twice through one's press by hand vs dumping them into the casefeeder for each step results in an enormous increase in the total time it takes to reload.

I know, because using my 550B without a casefeeder on .223 ammo is the very thing that convinced me to move to a 650 w/casefeeder.  Once I got it my throughput rate of .223 ammo increased dramatically.
Link Posted: 12/16/2008 1:16:41 PM EDT
[#34]
LNL is cheaper up front.
XL650 is cheaper in the long run.
Link Posted: 12/16/2008 2:54:51 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

Dave states that in his experience, 600yd shooters don't use their Dillons while LnL users (him) do.  I'll take his word for it.  There are plenty of statics that demonstrate that Dillon presses are the overwhelming favorites over Hornady at IPSC, IPDA, USPSA, CMP, NRA Action Pistol, and GSSF matches, sometimes by close to 100 to 1.

And which Dillon press would that be? You probably don't even know with your facts. In my experience in shooting IPSC back 15 years ago, most of the professional shooters used the 1050, mostly because of the volume it produces (and probably that they were given to them by Dillon)

Quoted:
LNL is cheaper up front.

go back to sleep, we'll wake you when it's over
Link Posted: 12/16/2008 5:21:45 PM EDT
[#36]
This thread is making my decision to buy an auto-indexing-case feeding progressive a little more difficult.....
Link Posted: 12/16/2008 5:34:57 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
Quoted:
And which Dillon press would that be? You probably don't even know with your facts. Lets keep this civil because what goes around can certainly come around.  

In my experience in shooting IPSC back 15 years ago, most of the professional shooters used the 1050, mostly because of the volume it produces (and probably that they were given to them by Dillon).  Maybe the professional shooters use what is given them but the average guys choose to buy their presses from Dillon and choose both the 550B and XL650 by a very wide margin (as I stated).
Quoted:
LNL is cheaper up front.
Link Posted: 12/16/2008 7:59:06 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
Go back to your cars.
Link Posted: 12/17/2008 5:44:06 AM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
This thread is making my decision to buy an auto-indexing-case feeding progressive a little more difficult.....

Go back to the posts hapi and I made on the 15th.  Buy what you like and can afford after researching as much as you have the patience for.  NEITHER choice will be "bad."  I personally went for Hornady because it was somewhat less expensive for me to get into, and because I thought I'd need 5 stations rather than 4 (which has not turned out to be the case).

And don't let a lot of surly pukes like us, arguing the merits of this or that steer you.  Make your decision based on YOUR needs.
Link Posted: 12/17/2008 6:15:36 AM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Go back to the posts hapi and I made on the 15th.  Buy what you like and can afford after researching as much as you have the patience for.  NEITHER choice will be "bad."  I personally went for Hornady because it was somewhat less expensive for me to get into, and because I thought I'd need 5 stations rather than 4 (which has not turned out to be the case).

And don't let a lot of surly pukes like us, arguing the merits of this or that steer you.  Make your decision based on YOUR needs.
That sir, is the very point I've been trying to make all along.
Link Posted: 12/17/2008 7:31:25 AM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

That sir, is the very point I've been trying to make all along.

Believe it or not, my posts really did sort of agree with you.  I see differences between the two systems as more style than anything else...
Link Posted: 12/17/2008 7:35:16 AM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
Believe it or not, my posts really did sort of agree with you.  I see differences between the two systems as more style than anything else...
I couldn't agree more.
Link Posted: 12/17/2008 8:26:05 AM EDT
[#43]
C'mon, guys,, get a room. LOL
G Porter,, Have you tried using a lube die with your L&L?
Just got one in and was wondering what lube you are using.
Thought I'd try my lanolin/alcohol mix
'Borg
Link Posted: 12/17/2008 10:37:02 AM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
C'mon, guys,, get a room. LOL
G Porter,, Have you tried using a lube die with your L&L?
Just got one in and was wondering what lube you are using.
Thought I'd try my lanolin/alcohol mix
'Borg

I have the RCBS lube dies (1, 2, and 3; I can't see getting #4 considering the calibers it's for).  I have been using the supplied Case Lube 2, and I'm not yet happy with how it works.  Waiting 30 minutes for the lube to saturate the felt ring is one thing, but I'd actually like the felt to act like it's saturated.  I'm considering thinning the lube with alcohol, but I haven't had the opportunity to play with it yet.
Link Posted: 12/17/2008 10:12:03 PM EDT
[#45]
I figured that the RCBS would take too long too, thats why I am going to try the mix first.
'Borg
Link Posted: 12/19/2008 5:04:13 PM EDT
[#46]
I did a test to see whether just loading up the RCBS die with lube would "saturate" the felt ring to my satisfaction, or if it would work better with some 91% alcohol in it.  Neither seemed to do a very good job of making the felt feel like it was even slippery.  

I also learned that the squeeze bottle tips they use in their lube bottles have a TINY hole, so it's hard to get too much through it.  Though you can indeed apply enough pressure to pop the tip out and make a huge mess!  

I'm considering a medicine syringe (my vet gives them out with oral meds) instead of the squeeze tip to load the dies, and probably will mix the lube and alcohol first.  Spray lube mixtures have plenty of alcohol in 'em.  I'm thinking of somewhere around a 50-50 mixture of lube and my trusty 91% alcohol to start with.
Link Posted: 12/22/2008 6:17:40 AM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
I did a test to see whether just loading up the RCBS die with lube would "saturate" the felt ring to my satisfaction, or if it would work better with some 91% alcohol in it.  Neither seemed to do a very good job of making the felt feel like it was even slippery.  

I also learned that the squeeze bottle tips they use in their lube bottles have a TINY hole, so it's hard to get too much through it.  Though you can indeed apply enough pressure to pop the tip out and make a huge mess!  

I'm considering a medicine syringe (my vet gives them out with oral meds) instead of the squeeze tip to load the dies, and probably will mix the lube and alcohol first.  Spray lube mixtures have plenty of alcohol in 'em.  I'm thinking of somewhere around a 50-50 mixture of lube and my trusty 91% alcohol to start with.

Been there, done that

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top