Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 6/12/2008 7:20:34 PM EDT
I have been thinking about reloading for sometime now.

I ordered the ABC's of reloading should be here this week.

I have a good bench ready, just need more shelves.

The dillon 550B looks good for me.

When to the range today and picked up some brass, found 400 .223 and 100 .308 I think this is a good haul.

Where is a good, (cheap) place for powder, primers, bullets, and lube?

I am forgetting some stuff, I got to go to work. I will post pics later.
Link Posted: 6/12/2008 7:31:35 PM EDT
[#1]
Top of the page has the links you will want.

Read the tutorials and Faqs while you are there.

Start with Powder Valley and Widners.
Link Posted: 6/12/2008 7:35:26 PM EDT
[#2]
That's a good haul for one trip to the range.

Anyway............for bulk.............

Wideners.com
Patsreloading.com
Powdervalleyinc.com

........among others.  Of course, buying locally will save you shipping and haz mat.

Aloha, Mark

Link Posted: 6/13/2008 2:52:19 AM EDT
[#3]
Start by reading everything in Forum Resources.  A press and dies isn't enough, there's other equipment thats recommended like tumbler, calipers, case gages, scale, stuck case remover, etc.
Link Posted: 6/13/2008 6:01:03 AM EDT
[#4]
I really have to caution your use of range pick up RIFLE brass! That practice could be a BIG PROBLEM in the making.  Many people, including some on this forum, will leave brass that has is beyond it's useful life!  Unless you saw the brass being shot from factory cartons I would stay away from it!  Order some once fired brass or ust brass that you shot that was factory new. Handgun brass is less problematic.  But, much brass left laying is also berdan primed.  And, this is not readily reloadable brass.  Please pay attention to the source of rifle brass!
Link Posted: 6/13/2008 8:49:40 AM EDT
[#5]
Agree - -please be careful with range pick up brass.
Link Posted: 6/13/2008 8:51:59 AM EDT
[#6]
Re range pick up brass. The above poster is correct. Only brass I pickup from the range still has the primer crimp. PMC and LC come to mind. Just play close attention to the cases on the others like Rem and Fed. If they are questionable just toss em.
Link Posted: 6/13/2008 11:20:43 AM EDT
[#7]
Thanks for all the replies, I am sorry my first post was hurried. Work is making we work this week. I went from working 2-3hours a day and getting paid 8-9. To working 12 and only getting payed for 12 today.

Quoted:
That's a good haul for one trip to the range.

Anyway............for bulk.............

Wideners.com
Patsreloading.com
Powdervalleyinc.com

........among others.  Of course, buying locally will save you shipping and haz mat.

Aloha, Mark

I thought it was a lot for one trip, locally will charge 2x what I can find on the net.

So I am damned if I do and Damned if I don't.

Quoted:
Start by reading everything in Forum Resources.  A press and dies isn't enough, there's other equipment thats recommended like tumbler, calipers, case gages, scale, stuck case remover, etc.

yes I know, I am sorry I did not talk about those. I just thought these were the odds and ends I find deals on as I set up.

Quoted:
Re range pick up brass. The above poster is correct. Only brass I pickup from the range still has the primer crimp. PMC and LC come to mind. Just play close attention to the cases on the others like Rem and Fed. If they are questionable just toss em.

I know brass has a stress life, but bad ones will be out of spec so it should easy spot. I just do not have the tool yet.

Here is the bench

here is a shell I do not have many of these less then 20?

here is a 3/4 plastic .223 WTF?

It head stamp

Here is the .308 I found

R-P Rem is about 40% of the brass, F-C Rem 20%, and the 93 is less then 5%

I have 161 of these 5.56x45

the haul, little over 7.25lbs,

Bagged with some 357mag+38spl

Link Posted: 7/21/2008 7:11:41 PM EDT
[#8]
well I think this is a good time for a update.

I was reading the paper and saw a classified for "Reloading Supples"

I call him up, we talked, and I met him after work. He said he had some primed brass 3-4 coffee cans and some loaded.

So I go there and I know I should not use someone else reloads but at $5 a box I am a weak man. And the scale.

And then the brass, all is primed I think they could have been cleaned better.

a lot of plasic trays

lead anyone?

and a little 20 coach gun

All and all I paid $300 I think I did well. Any input?
Link Posted: 7/22/2008 5:27:27 AM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 7/22/2008 5:49:17 AM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

farm3.static.flickr.com/2266/2576013782_d0bf15b237_b.jpg

The plastic stuff isn't reloadable.  A shooting buddy bought some a while back at the gun show and shot some.  Ammo sort of sucks.

farm4.static.flickr.com/3172/2575979920_aa3a64ce97_b.jpg

Look how big that primer is on the FC brass.  I couldn't be that big if the primer pocket wasn't big enough to hold that big primer.  FC has soft webs.  Squish all your FC brass with pliers so you wont be tempted to use it and start a scrap brass bucket to cash in later for $ to buy more reloading supplies.

Link Posted: 7/22/2008 10:27:21 AM EDT
[#11]
Not ALL FC brass is TRASH.  

Q: Can I reload Federal American Eagle brand brass? I've read that this brass is not good for reloading.

A: The old Federal Eagle made before ATK took over operation of the Lake City plant has a very thin web surrounding the primer cup. Most reloaders consider this brass good for one reloading, then the scrap bucket. The primer pockets are too loose to hold a primer after the second firing.

Now that ATK is operating Lake City, Federal Eagle brass is showing up with LC on the headstamp (since about late 2006 or early 2007). The assumption is that it has dimensions identical to pre ATK brass made when Winchester operated the plant, but I haven't seen a cross sectioned case to confirm whether that it true.

Taken from the FAQ section.

I believe the "sticky" was "lost" during the server switch or something like that.

Aloha, Mark
Link Posted: 7/22/2008 11:03:04 AM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:
Agree - -please be careful with range pick up brass.

This can not be stressed enough!!!

Oh and start hoarding the brass bro!
Link Posted: 7/22/2008 11:12:14 AM EDT
[#13]
dude I love the 3/4 plastic stuff

Yeah you can't reload it but it doesn't generate near the heat so mag dumps are saweeeeet
Link Posted: 7/22/2008 12:43:41 PM EDT
[#14]
BTW......that shotgun could be sold to some CowBoy shooter IF you're looking to make some $ back.  

As for the re-loaded ammo.......well, it would be safer to just pull it down.  

But, would I?

That would depend.......on how well I knew the guy who made the ammo.  

In your case.......PVT seller, Newspaper Ad........IMHO.......PULL THEM.

BUT, that's ME.

BTW, I purchased an 8 lb jug of BL-C(2) the other day (w/$10 off coupon) I paid $127, at the local (Portland, OR) Sportsman's Warehouse.  They were out of H335 (would have been the same price).  W748 was priced at $141 (or was it $144?).

I figure with shipping and haz mat. and not having to purchase 3 more cans to make a "deal" out of it.  Well, sometimes it's just easier to buy locally.  Besides Widener's price was $117 for an 8 lb jug of BL-C(2).  But, they currently don't have it in stock.

YMWV.

Aloha, Mark

PS........BTW, check your local Gun Show(s)........sometimes they have some really good prices on powder and primers.   And, you won't be paying shipping or haz mat.

Link Posted: 7/22/2008 1:00:26 PM EDT
[#15]
Nice score.
Dump the powder, salvage the brass and bullets.

How come I cant find shit like this?

Oh Right I live in NY
Link Posted: 7/23/2008 3:06:34 AM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:
Well, the good news is you got started.

The bad news; you've got a lot to learn.  For starters your notion about the ease of spotting "out of spec" range pickups.  Just be aware that bottleneck brass is left laying by hand loaders when it's done and not usable.  Often the primer pockets give out before the necks or shoulders.  You're not going to discover that by inspection.  Thinned case walls just above the case head lead to separations in the chamber; now there's a major pain that's better to avoid, and inspecting cases for thinning is tedious work.

Then the whole business about the reloads; weak or not, you shouldn't shoot them if you value your firearms, fingers, and eyes.  However, they are easy to break down so the components can be recovered and reused.  The gunpowder is a crap shoot and there's no way to be positive about what you find, so the best approach is to just dump it on the lawn.  The cases do not need to be deprimed, just run through a sizer without a decapping pin.

Nice haul, too.

I do not claim do have any idea about any reloadinf asspect yet, hell I have not looked at the brass for defects. I am going to wait for my tumbler to get here b/c clean brass should be easier to sort and or trash.

Yes I will break down the reloads

Link Posted: 7/23/2008 3:11:27 AM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:

Quoted:

farm3.static.flickr.com/2266/2576013782_d0bf15b237_b.jpg

The plastic stuff isn't reloadable.  A shooting buddy bought some a while back at the gun show and shot some.  Ammo sort of sucks.

Bud. I was not thing I could reload it, I just wanted to share

farm4.static.flickr.com/3172/2575979920_aa3a64ce97_b.jpg

Look how big that primer is on the FC brass.  I couldn't be that big if the primer pocket wasn't big enough to hold that big primer.  FC has soft webs.  Squish all your FC brass with pliers so you wont be tempted to use it and start a scrap brass bucket to cash in later for $ to buy more reloading supplies.

Good eye thank you, I will sort and inspect the brass after I clean it
Link Posted: 7/23/2008 3:12:19 AM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:

Quoted:
Well, the good news is you got started.

The bad news; you've got a lot to learn.  For starters your notion about the ease of spotting "out of spec" range pickups.  Just be aware that bottleneck brass is left laying by hand loaders when it's done and not usable.  Often the primer pockets give out before the necks or shoulders.  You're not going to discover that by inspection.  Thinned case walls just above the case head lead to separations in the chamber; now there's a major pain that's better to avoid, and inspecting cases for thinning is tedious work.

Then the whole business about the reloads; weak or not, you shouldn't shoot them if you value your firearms, fingers, and eyes.  However, they are easy to break down so the components can be recovered and reused.  The gunpowder is a crap shoot and there's no way to be positive about what you find, so the best approach is to just dump it on the lawn.  The cases do not need to be deprimed, just run through a sizer without a decapping pin.

Nice haul, too.

I do not claim do have any idea about any reloading aspect yet, hell I have not looked at the brass for defects. I am going to wait for my tumbler to get here b/c clean brass should be easier to sort and or trash.

Yes I will break down the reloads

Link Posted: 7/23/2008 3:26:28 AM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:
BTW......that shotgun could be sold to some CowBoy shooter IF you're looking to make some $ back.  I know I could sell it for more then the $75 I paid, but it is soo damn nice and clean. I would rate it over 99%. And it is fast to me shoulder. Or I could SBS it and chop up a cheap gun, but like I said I might cry she is nice. Or I just could give it to my mom. Happy Mother's Day???

As for the re-loaded ammo.......well, it would be safer to just pull it down.  

But, would I?

That would depend.......on how well I knew the guy who made the ammo.  

In your case.......PVT seller, Newspaper Ad........IMHO.......PULL THEM.

BUT, that's ME.

The guy was selling b/c of Parkinson's *sp nice guy, but we are talking about what 2-3 hours. And knowing what is going in my guns...

BTW, I purchased an 8 lb jug of BL-C(2) the other day (w/$10 off coupon) I paid $127, at the local (Portland, OR) Sportsman's Warehouse.  They were out of H335 (would have been the same price).  W748 was priced at $141 (or was it $144?).

I figure with shipping and haz mat. and not having to purchase 3 more cans to make a "deal" out of it.  Well, sometimes it's just easier to buy locally.  Besides Widener's price was $117 for an 8 lb jug of BL-C(2).  But, they currently don't have it in stock.

YMWV.

Aloha, Mark

PS........BTW, check your local Gun Show(s)........sometimes they have some really good prices on powder and primers.   And, you won't be paying shipping or haz mat.

Oh the gun shows, I went to the last one looking for reloading supplies. But everything was over priced. Cleaned deprimed 50 pack of once fired 223 for $10.
Link Posted: 7/24/2008 10:40:58 AM EDT
[#20]
After work I went to a place called. "Trophy Reloading Service" This should have been a clue. I walk in and it was clear this was a bulk operation. He only reloads pistol brass (I had have asked what he does with the riffle ammo) he only uses Winchester 231 powder he said he will sell it for $18 per pound, and no 8# drums or discounts. And small Winchester primers $23 large $25 per K.

He did have some stuff on a set of shelves (Think a gun show grab bag). I saw a RCBS bullet puller. Great pay for it and grab his card.

I go home and start popping bullets on the 26th .357mag the cap of the hammer blew up I found 1/2 of the cap, the chuck, but lost the bullet.

I when read the directions, and then called RCBS They said I new cap will be in its way.

So that was my day.

What does the Borg think of Win231 powder? And Its price and the price of the small primers?
Link Posted: 7/24/2008 10:47:29 AM EDT
[#21]
Link Posted: 7/24/2008 11:16:15 AM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:
The price of the powder is average.  The price for the primers is good and you should grab them.

That good to know about both. But I have 1,000s and 1,000s of primed brass and 1,600 NIB primers.
Now thinking about it I really should store these and any ammo in the A/C and not the garage, right?

Save the good parts from the puller, they'll come in handy later.   Try seating the bullets deeper in the press before pulling so they'll come out easier.  About three good smacks on the end grain of a piece of hardwood 3X3 inches or similar works for me.

as for the puller, I was seating the case all the way down to the rim. But I was hitting the cement floor, I was in a chair. So the blows were not square with the face of the hammer.
Link Posted: 7/24/2008 11:55:20 AM EDT
[#23]
Buy Dillon's video for the 550b.
Link Posted: 7/24/2008 12:20:08 PM EDT
[#24]
fail

Link Posted: 7/24/2008 12:29:21 PM EDT
[#25]
Link Posted: 7/24/2008 4:08:59 PM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:
fail

farm4.static.flickr.com/3183/2698800109_a5bce31a9f_b.jpg

Been there. Done that.

I own page 2.
Link Posted: 7/24/2008 6:46:47 PM EDT
[#27]
Your IK 07 223 brass, I have some of this.

Beware the flash hole is very small, nowhere near the standard size.

The reloads you bought, you can tell they are not safe to shoot because the loader did not take the time to properly label his work.

A proper label will have,

bullet manufacturer and weight

Primer manufacturer and type

Powder name and charge weight

Velocity expected

Date loaded

Brass brand, how many times loaded

If someone did not take the time to properly label his loads, what other short cuts did he take?

Don't take the chance hurting yourself or your guns, Disassemble the rounds for the components.
Link Posted: 8/1/2008 4:16:11 PM EDT
[#28]
Well no real update yet, I broke apart 200 or so of the 1300rds.

And I picked up some more brass today.

In the tubs left is rimless, middle is rimmed, right tub is brass 7.62x39,.308, 30cal carbine.

3/4 of a coffee can of pistol.
Mostly 9mm.

and a little over 25lbs of .223

all told I got 44-46lbs of brass for $7, the range scale stops at 28lbs

And that was only 1/2 the range, 100yard and 50 yards. I did not get to the 25 or 7 yards. They kicked me out. I am thinking about going back tomorrow. But its Saturday and will be packed. So I guess next Friday.

So do I qualify as a brass whore?

Link Posted: 8/1/2008 5:52:15 PM EDT
[#29]
No, but you are on your way.

I am enjoying the updates.
Link Posted: 8/1/2008 7:03:39 PM EDT
[#30]
I have read this thread and I am curious..have you looked to see how much of the rifle brass is Berdan primed? I used to find quite a bit of .308 brass here but all I find now is milsurp Berdan primed .308.  If it's Boxer primed you have done well! If it is Berdan primed you still did well cuz you can sell it for scrap and make a great return on your 7 dollar investment.
ETA-- you did good on the initial purchase also.
pull down the reloads and salvage components.
Link Posted: 8/2/2008 4:34:52 AM EDT
[#31]

Quoted:
I have read this thread and I am curious..have you looked to see how much of the rifle brass is Berdan primed? I used to find quite a bit of .308 brass here but all I find now is milsurp Berdan primed .308.  If it's Boxer primed you have done well! If it is Berdan primed you still did well cuz you can sell it for scrap and make a great return on your 7 dollar investment.
ETA-- you did good on the initial purchase also.
pull down the reloads and salvage components.

after reading this I looked thru every 308, and only 10 berdan, I have 166 left. It hurts to think for the 100s and 100s me cetme has thrown.

I will check the rest after cleaning.
Link Posted: 8/2/2008 5:55:00 PM EDT
[#32]
Great! I'm glad to see someone is scooping up some good brass somewhere.
It would be a good idea to look at the .223 brass also. There is some milsurp out there that has Berdan priming also.
The plastihybrid case is a Natec case..they were toying with this a few years ago to cut costs, apparently, that never took off. I have one and always get comments on it.
I saw some boxes of it for sale on g'broker a while back..cool collector stuff.
Be safe in your venture and read, read, read......ask questions too. This forum has been most helpful in getting me going.
Link Posted: 8/3/2008 3:52:06 AM EDT
[#33]
well I got my tumbler yesterday, I could not find Walnut. I got corncob, it work well with mothers mag and wheel polish.

The corn gets packed pretty good in the .223. This is why I did a media separator, right?

I also got a 6" bench vise.

Also I am having trouble sorting all the brass by make. Most is Remington or Lake City. I have sorted about a 1,000 rounds and have say 30 PPU, 30 PMC, 40 Federal, 10 Winchester. So working a load all for these would be point less. So should I load a min charge and use them as pliking rounds?

Thanks
Link Posted: 8/3/2008 4:44:50 AM EDT
[#34]

Quoted:
well I got my tumbler yesterday, I could not find Walnut. I got corncob, it work well with mothers mag and wheel polish.

The corn gets packed pretty good in the .223. This is why I did a media separator, right?

A media separator won't remove packed in corncob media unless the media is real fine like the walnut is.  You probably hosed yourself.  You may have to pick out the packed media with a paper clip or something one by one if just picking up the case and dumping the media out doesn't work.

Never tried this since I avoid the situation after learning once the hard way.  You may try tumbling the brass without any media in the tumbler to see if it vibrates the packed  media out.

Also I am having trouble sorting all the brass by make. Most is Remington or Lake City. I have sorted about a 1,000 rounds and have say 30 PPU, 30 PMC, 40 Federal, 10 Winchester. So working a load all for these would be point less. So should I load a min charge and use them as pliking rounds?

Thanks

Toss the Federal if it has FC headstamp.  I dont sort my brass by headstamp, I work up loads and pretty much settled on loads in the 95-96% range of max load for the powder I'm using.  I do this after making a range of test loads and checking for pressure signs. All look good so I load on and go
Link Posted: 8/4/2008 12:13:14 AM EDT
[#35]
Well  a quick 5 second shake in a coffee can with about 1-200 rounds breaks 99% of the cob loose. Just turn them up sidedown.

here is the tumbler, it has a 223 on the base and a 20mm in the backround for size refference. Cleanish brass gets 1 hour, and dirty gets two hours.

I had a unused timer, (the kind for lamps when you arer not home) I use it when I go to work, so it just shuts off after the set time.

action shot

Link Posted: 8/4/2008 5:04:32 AM EDT
[#36]
I wouldnt use that corn cob media for .223, there's some large coarse pieces in it.  Goto PetSmart and get some crushed walnut litter in the bird section, formerly known as Lizzard Litter.

You can use the corn cob for 45ACP or something
Link Posted: 8/4/2008 5:28:06 AM EDT
[#37]

Quoted:
I wouldnt use that corn cob media for .223, there's some large coarse pieces in it.  Goto PetSmart and get some crushed walnut litter in the bird section, formerly known as Lizzard Litter.

You can use the corn cob for 45ACP or something

I do not live in the biggest town, but I did go to Petsmart and Walmart in search of walnut litter. I will expand my search later.

Its not too bad.
Link Posted: 8/8/2008 5:22:07 PM EDT
[#38]
well I got/found the wallnut the other day.

And today after work I stopped by the range anf picked up a little more brass.

To add scale to the photo I put a mini maglight in the pile-o-brass, a 47 inch level in the rear.

Link Posted: 8/9/2008 4:41:37 AM EDT
[#39]

Quoted:
well I got/found the wallnut the other day.

And today after work I stopped by the range anf picked up a little more brass.

To add scale to the photo I put a mini maglight in the pile-o-brass, a 47 inch level in the rear.

farm4.static.flickr.com/3035/2745616252_a3aebf1a0e_b.jpg

Impressive!
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top