Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page Armory » GSG-5
Site Notices
Posted: 4/2/2008 3:47:46 AM EDT
This happened to me yesterday at the range. I was shooting the Remington Goldens. I was on about round 200 for the day and all of the sudden, *BAP BAP BAP*. Three round burst goes off, totally unexpected - and totally to the suprise of the range owner. He seemed to think it was cooking off, but I don't buy it. My GSG is a little bit dirty, because I did not do a complete cleaning after the last range trip.

What would cause this? Anyone else have this happen yet?
Link Posted: 4/2/2008 4:08:54 AM EDT
[#1]
Let me guess, you replaced your stock screw-pins with HK push-pins?

Seriously though, it has never been reported yet.  I am not 100% familiar yet with how the actual hammer/trigger setup works, but maybe the hammer didn't lock back.
Link Posted: 4/2/2008 4:14:25 AM EDT
[#2]
seriously! I wanna know how to get mine to do that
Link Posted: 4/2/2008 4:47:23 AM EDT
[#3]
Are you kidding? Read this, by law you could goto prison for that now!

http://www.worldnetdaily.com/news/article.asp?ARTICLE_ID=59650
Link Posted: 4/2/2008 5:18:15 AM EDT
[#4]
It's all original. I don't modify weapons unless it's with OEM parts. I've seen too many people FUBAR brand-new GSGs by adding after-market stuff not designed for it. As for a weapon malfunction being illegal, that is the stupidest thing I have ever heard. If this is the new standard, then there are about 200 people that go to my range alone that should be serving time currently.

If I had to guess, I would say that the accumulation of lead and carbon caused my firing pin to momentarily stick causing successive slam fires. I don't think 200rds of .22LR is enough to cause a cook off between rounds. It's not done it since I did a thorough cleaning.

I estimate that I probably had around 900rds total through the weapon without cleaning completely. Between the last couple firings, I just bore snaked the bore and gave it a squirt of CLP. I was planning a complete cleaning after every 1500rds in order to keep the wear and tear off the screws everyone is having a problem with.

Just wondering if anyone else had this happen. If not, then know that it could be an issue if your weapon is not cleaned thoroughly after 800rds or so.
Link Posted: 4/2/2008 5:25:56 AM EDT
[#5]
From my experience with the breech-housing (i've had it apart about 6 times already studying it), it isn't really possible for the firing pin to stick in the forward position.  There is way too much spring pressure pushing it toward the rear. Unless the spring broke, I don't see it happening that way.
Link Posted: 4/2/2008 5:36:57 AM EDT
[#6]
i could see if the firing pin was dirty and causing it to stick . those tolerances are real tight in there ... i pull all of my firearms down completely when i clean them . after having the exact same thing happen on a smith 4506 i owned. now that was  a surprise...........
Link Posted: 4/2/2008 5:59:40 AM EDT
[#7]
Bump Fire, maybe?  The trigger is stiff enough.

I will have to try that, next time.  My Tec-22 has a stiff trigger and I can get a few rounds to bump on it, from time to time.

Link Posted: 4/2/2008 6:12:32 AM EDT
[#8]
I've bump fired my ARs, but this was different. I have put another 400rds through it after the good cleaning and it has not done it again. I am going to  let it gunk up again and see what happens. Then, maybe I will be able to see a difference when breaking it down.

Could have been a fluke, but I really think it was just so nasty that something stuck / malfunctioned in the internals to make it do so.
Link Posted: 4/2/2008 6:45:43 AM EDT
[#9]
mine doubled once. well more like an unintentional bump fire.

it was just after I cleaned it, I think I may have put her back together a little over lubed.

suprised the hell out of me, and for the life of me, I couldnt get it to do anything like it again. I chalked mine up to random occurance and complete fluke.

Link Posted: 4/2/2008 7:54:50 AM EDT
[#10]
I NEVER have a weapon double.  

NEVER, NEVER, NEVER.

I only have them that I bump fire.

Because, doubling is now illegal and will send you to jail.

Link Posted: 4/2/2008 8:22:43 AM EDT
[#11]
By God, you are right! I found that I was unintentionally bump firing the weapon! How could have I been so mistaken. I sure am glad, because I'd never do anything to violate the law! My papers are in order!

*Move along, nothing to see here...*
Link Posted: 4/2/2008 10:12:24 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:
Are you kidding? Read this, by law you could goto prison for that now!

http://www.worldnetdaily.com/news/article.asp?ARTICLE_ID=59650

BAN HIM!  

Link Posted: 4/19/2008 7:14:10 AM EDT
[#13]
well your not crazy went to the range yesterday was plinking around and got a two round burst not sure what it was no mods factory gun little scary but still love the gun maybe one day i will find out why this happen
Link Posted: 4/19/2008 9:35:14 PM EDT
[#14]
WTF is "bump" firing and how do you do it?

thanks
Link Posted: 4/20/2008 11:23:15 AM EDT
[#15]
Bump fire video - YouTube

Just make sure you have a good backstop

As for "doubling", I've had it happen several times with an M1 Garand - if you do a slooow trigger squeeze, the recoil will sometimes cause the gun to fire a quick second shot.

I've found that "following through" and keeping the trigger firmly pressed back after every shot avoids this.
Link Posted: 4/20/2008 12:01:48 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:
It's all original. I don't modify weapons unless it's with OEM parts.

Doesn't matter.

I've seen too many people FUBAR brand-new GSGs by adding after-market stuff not designed for it. As for a weapon malfunction being illegal, that is the stupidest thing I have ever heard.

Tell me about it.

If this is the new standard, then there are about 200 people that go to my range alone that should be serving time currently.

Maybe you can reduce your own sentence by ratting them out?
Link Posted: 4/20/2008 3:48:13 PM EDT
[#17]
Probably resulted from a dirty gun.
Link Posted: 4/25/2008 11:02:21 AM EDT
[#18]
Page Armory » GSG-5
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top