Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page Armory » GSG-5
Page / 6
Link Posted: 2/23/2010 5:39:47 AM EDT
[#1]
I get the distinct impression that the ATF is actively trying to shut down or otherwise strong arm small weapons manufacturers and importers especially those that make or import things that look like a big scary assault rifle (just ask Cav arms) so the unwashed civvies can no longer get there hands on them.

Anything we can do to help ATI through this process (to keep them going) would be a victory for the civilian gun owner
Link Posted: 2/23/2010 5:52:47 AM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 2/23/2010 9:42:47 AM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 2/23/2010 10:05:38 AM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 2/23/2010 11:50:10 AM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 2/23/2010 12:44:23 PM EDT
[#6]
Sent mine in this morning. Fits like a glove in a USPS Priority Mail box . Sent Priority with Delivery confirmation for $5.50 which is a small price to pay for peace of mind where the BATF and boom is concerned. I also included the serial number taped to the part as well as a cover letter and two return address labels. Will report back here on turn around time and all else pertinent.  WR
Link Posted: 2/24/2010 2:06:35 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
FYI, i put this in the thread with the suppressor pics but this link is hot so I'll throw it up here too.

Spoke with my warehouse today and they let me know that they have started shipping replacement cans already.  Based on the amount we have on hand, if the volume coming in stays steady we can probably streach what we have thru to our next shipment arriving so we're at about a 24hr turn around time right now as far as getting the ATF to log and send you your replacement.  If we start getting really slammed that will start to be a longer turn aroubnd time, but it's been managable so far.

Chris - I live in Rochester, NY right near your offices.  Can I come in and swap it out?  Or do I have to send it in like the rest of the folks?  Thanks
Link Posted: 2/24/2010 3:46:20 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Quoted:
FYI, i put this in the thread with the suppressor pics but this link is hot so I'll throw it up here too.

Spoke with my warehouse today and they let me know that they have started shipping replacement cans already.  Based on the amount we have on hand, if the volume coming in stays steady we can probably streach what we have thru to our next shipment arriving so we're at about a 24hr turn around time right now as far as getting the ATF to log and send you your replacement.  If we start getting really slammed that will start to be a longer turn aroubnd time, but it's been managable so far.

Chris - I live in Rochester, NY right near your offices.  Can I come in and swap it out?  Or do I have to send it in like the rest of the folks?  Thanks

OMG, a weapon in NY.  Won't the black chopper swoop out of the night sky and pluck you away for holding a metal tube????
Link Posted: 2/24/2010 4:01:34 PM EDT
[#9]
Been watching this thread for awhile.  When I originally purchased my gsg-5, I wanted the first gen look, but the store only had the gsg-5 sd in stock at the time.  They actually had a front guard and barrel shroud of the original gsg-5 in the back of the store.  So to make the sale, they swapped out both can and hand guard.  Then I learn of this BS months later.

So I got a gsg-5 sd with a 1st gen can and guard.  What is my best solution in this situation since my can is NOT the original SD?  If anything?  Then there is the unanswered question regarding all the owners of the first gen gsg-5 if their can falls into this catergory of BATF and whether or not they will rule that one in violation too.  I only see a logical conclusion of where the 1st gen can will go towards...

Thanks
Link Posted: 2/24/2010 4:36:07 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

OMG, a weapon in NY.  Won't the black chopper swoop out of the night sky and pluck you away for holding a metal tube????

I'm lucky they communist state of NY hasn't banned these things all together.   Its bad enough we can only use 10 rounders in them.  Sucks loading those things so often.  I hate NY...
Link Posted: 2/25/2010 6:28:44 AM EDT
[#11]

Some agency is gaming for some overtme hours!!

This just goes to show how fickle and double-minded this agency can be. What a pile of doo doo our tax dollars is funding...

Link Posted: 2/25/2010 7:39:27 AM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 2/25/2010 12:03:29 PM EDT
[#13]
I sent my SD can in on Feb 16th. I just got the replacement can today in the mail. Thanks ATI for getting those out so quick. I was expecting on at least a 3 week turn around! (It is Feb 25th today.)

Link Posted: 2/25/2010 12:07:14 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Been watching this thread for awhile.  When I originally purchased my gsg-5, I wanted the first gen look, but the store only had the gsg-5 sd in stock at the time.  They actually had a front guard and barrel shroud of the original gsg-5 in the back of the store.  So to make the sale, they swapped out both can and hand guard.  Then I learn of this BS months later.

So I got a gsg-5 sd with a 1st gen can and guard.  What is my best solution in this situation since my can is NOT the original SD?  If anything?  Then there is the unanswered question regarding all the owners of the first gen gsg-5 if their can falls into this catergory of BATF and whether or not they will rule that one in violation too.  I only see a logical conclusion of where the 1st gen can will go towards...

Thanks

Got off the phone with chris.  Very interesting situation going on.  I posed some other situations to him that I have read about / that probably have happened.  Hoping to see some results of those questions posted here so we have more concrete answers for us.

The one thing that stuck in my head since this entire thing began is I have a feeling the entire industry might be turned upside down for this kind of thing.  There is also secondary markets that will probably get hit with this.  Airsoft I think will be one of them.
Link Posted: 2/25/2010 12:16:28 PM EDT
[#15]
very nice gesture. I will do the same to help with shipping.
Link Posted: 2/25/2010 12:21:29 PM EDT
[#16]
Link Posted: 2/25/2010 2:32:07 PM EDT
[#17]
Sent mine in today, FedEx ground.
Link Posted: 2/25/2010 2:53:45 PM EDT
[#18]
If I had the SD, I'd send it back with some hookers and blow...I wonder what kind of freebies I'd get.

Thanks ATI for the excellent C.S., big thumbs up from me with the way this is being handled.
Link Posted: 2/25/2010 8:49:05 PM EDT
[#19]
I smell HK, and it stinks!

Keep up the good work ATI.
Link Posted: 2/26/2010 4:02:43 AM EDT
[#20]
Everybody needs to calm down and let the dust settle.  ATF isn't going to come to your house to take your .22 rifle away.
ATI and GSG have enough to worry about without a bunch of people calling them freaking out that  ATF agents are behind
every tree.  If you weren't lurking on the internet 24/7 you wouldn't know anything about this.  I'd suggest that you carry on
as if you know nothing, then if the time comes when you need to swap your piece of tube, you'll get a letter and you can
swap it in an orderly fashion.  

Remain calm.  Enjoy your GSG-SD.  That is not an ATF agent outside your mom's basement window.
Link Posted: 2/26/2010 12:54:49 PM EDT
[#21]
Any update on the BATFE on when the supposed 'amnesty' period begins or ends?  Or if there really even is one?

I'm still trying to figure out how to ship this back to ATI.  I'm not trusting it to a dealer and I'm not doing it myself.
Link Posted: 2/26/2010 5:25:57 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
Any update on the BATFE on when the supposed 'amnesty' period begins or ends?  Or if there really even is one?

I'm still trying to figure out how to ship this back to ATI.  I'm not trusting it to a dealer and I'm not doing it myself.

Why do you not trust your FFL?  How hard is it to send a box with a letter and a small piece of metal?
Link Posted: 2/26/2010 8:58:15 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Why do you not trust your FFL?  How hard is it to send a box with a letter and a small piece of metal?

If I trusted my freedom to a local gun shop I would be a felon 20 times over by now.
Link Posted: 2/27/2010 3:28:56 AM EDT
[#24]
Link Posted: 2/27/2010 4:29:38 AM EDT
[#25]
Four (4) en route to you via USPS Priority Mail.

Link Posted: 2/27/2010 6:09:18 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
Any update on the BATFE on when the supposed 'amnesty' period begins or ends? Or if there really even is one?

I'm still trying to figure out how to ship this back to ATI. I'm not trusting it to a dealer and I'm not doing it myself.

No announcement on the end of the amnesty period yet.  As to the beginning....well, it's already underway because the recall started two weeks ago.  My suggestion is not to be paranoid and mail it back to us.  The worst thing you could do is hang onto it cause that means no replacement.  When the amnesty ends the ATF will have a list of all the serials not swapped out because they are checking off serials in our warehouse as old fake suppressors arrive.  If your FFL won't help you, send it to us direct to get it over with.  We've already recieved and shipped hundreds of these to our distributors, ffl dealers and individual consumers.  First come first serve.

You can ship this back anyway you want, i recommend a padded envelope and US mail myself.

If you have concerns call ATF, but send us the thing, I can't stress it enough but I also can't stop this ridiculous paranoia going on about these fake suppressors.  When they say to us, 'this is the end date!' I can tell you right now it will probably take longer to get a replacement because then people who didn't just send us the things during the amnesty will all panic at one.  it's not a 'supposed' amnesty, it is an amnesty.   Just ask all those people who sent it off no problem and got their replacements already.  I can't make you do it, all I can do is talk sense to you.  It's up to you as the individual with the suppressor to comply.

Chris, no offense but you are NOT talking sense to me.  You are asking me to ship an NFA item through the US mail.
There has been NO official word from the BATFE on an amnesty period that would allow me to legally do so.

I wouldn't call it being paranoid.  I would call it being rational and following the law. There is no evidence to support the claim that an amnesty period is in effect other than your word.
And like I said before...I don't trust my freedom to gun dealers.  An I will add to that list importers or manufacturers.

This whole process is being handled HORRIBLY.  It's not entirely your fault, but I would expect you to be more of an advocate for your customers with regards to the BATF.   Push back.  Get us something in writing.

Link Posted: 2/27/2010 6:38:06 AM EDT
[#27]
Glide2flip,

A comment or two...
I have sent back my can to ATI because of the information here.
1.  ATF did not send any consumers a notice that the fake cans were in fact real cans
2.  ATI requests that we send them back under an ATF declared amensty,  per ATF request, as posted on their website
3.  As a consumer have you received any documentation from ATF stating that your fake can was real?  Answer is no.
4.  Consider it a recall of a defective part.
5.  I have talked to the owner of the gunstore I bought my GSG from and he is not concerned, and I
am not concerned.  I just want the new can to be in compliance.

ATI has been jumping through hoops to keep us informed, and if you check their website AR15.com is listed
as a source of information.  Chris earlier published the phone numbers of ATFs technical branch for US to
contact wtih legitimate concerns.  If your feelings on shipping the can back worry you (obviously they did)
then please contact ATF and get the information from the source.

thanks,
CaliRN

Link Posted: 2/27/2010 6:43:32 AM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:

<snip>

You are asking me to ship an NFA item through the US mail.

There has been NO official word from the BATFE on an amnesty period that would allow me to legally do so.

There is nothing illegal about it - NFA items are shipped via USPS regularly.

Link Posted: 2/27/2010 7:13:41 AM EDT
[#29]
Link Posted: 2/27/2010 8:00:24 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

Quoted:
<snip>

I am not a class III dealer.  It is 100% illegal to ship an NFA item across state lines.  I believe it carries a MANDITORY stay in federal prison.

Link Posted: 2/27/2010 8:26:53 AM EDT
[#31]
You know, I just don't understand some of you.  You have the importer telling you exactly how to handle this situation and yet you still come on here and bicker and whine about this! Do you not read the posts on this forum??? There are people that did exactly what they were instructed to do (by Chris and ATI in general) and have already received  there replacements!!!  If you don't believe him or the company and what they are telling you to do then contact the ATF yourself!!! I've watched Chris post this several times now and I swear it seems like some of the people on here are complaining just to complain. Suck it up and take some action on your own part. Yes, I agree that what the ATF has done here is completely bullshit and unfair but, what are you going to do about it??? ATI is giving us all kinds of options here so, do what you have to to get it taken care of. By all means I am not made of money either but, come on folks the cost to ship this item back to them is way less then what you spend on ammo to shoot the gun. I'm sure some on here are going to say that it is very difficult to accomplish this task and I'm sure it is for some. I don't want to sound insensitive but, figure it out. Buying a gun is a responsibility and so is this regardless of how unfair it might be. I commend ATI and Chris for all that they are doing in this situation. In my opinion they are one of the best examples of what great customer service is.  Thank you.

rant over.
Link Posted: 2/27/2010 8:54:01 AM EDT
[#32]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

<snip>

I am not a class III dealer.  It is 100% illegal to ship an NFA item across state lines.  I believe it carries a MANDITORY stay in federal prison.

Regardless, this is a metal tube. It is not a silencer unless it has baffles in it. Just mail it in and you'll be fine.

Link Posted: 2/27/2010 11:51:58 AM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:
<snip>

Regardless, this is a metal tube. It is not a silencer unless it has baffles in it. Just mail it in and you'll be fine.

Are you serious?  If it's just a metal tube and not a silencer then there's no recall.

I understand the importer has provided instructions.  But why doesn't anyone understand that these instructions violate federal law?

I'm shocked more people aren't 'bickering' over the way this is being handled.

What happens if after the BATFE finishes with ATI, they start looking in to how these things wound up back at their offices?
If they really want to push the issue they can.  There has been no word from them regarding amnesty.  
I guess everyone on here has a nice defense fund set aside to prove their innocence.
Link Posted: 2/27/2010 5:03:03 PM EDT
[#34]
question,what about the thousands of gsg5 owners who do not read this forum?
Link Posted: 2/27/2010 8:10:49 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

Are you serious?  If it's just a metal tube and not a silencer then there's no recall.

I understand the importer has provided instructions.  But why doesn't anyone understand that these instructions violate federal law?

What happens if after the BATFE finishes with ATI, they start looking in to how these things wound up back at their offices?
If they really want to push the issue they can.  There has been no word from them regarding amnesty.  
I guess everyone on here has a nice defense fund set aside to prove their innocence.

Then call the # for the ATF listed above and ask them how to proceed. I bet you they tell you to do exactly what Chris has already told you.

If I had to bet I would say they will never give anyone anything in writing because this is a gray area in the law, and they don't want to be ruled against in court...if they don't do it officially and don't put anything in writing then they don't have that issue [I recall them acting in a similar manner to ban private party sales at a gunshow in Texas I think. They sent a bunch of emails telling the organizers that if they didn't do it that they would revoke all of their permits etc but they never did anything official. No official explinations, no letterhead, no specific U.S. code references etc. They just basically said we are the govt. do what we tell you. That is standard operating procedure for ATF these days]
Link Posted: 2/27/2010 8:52:17 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Then call the # for the ATF listed above and ask them how to proceed. I bet you they tell you to do exactly what Chris has already told you.

If I had to bet I would say they will never give anyone anything in writing because this is a gray area in the law, and they don't want to be ruled against in court...if they don't do it officially and don't put anything in writing then they don't have that issue [I recall them acting in a similar manner to ban private party sales at a gunshow in Texas I think. They sent a bunch of emails telling the organizers that if they didn't do it that they would revoke all of their permits etc but they never did anything official. No official explinations, no letterhead, no specific U.S. code references etc. They just basically said we are the govt. do what we tell you. That is standard operating procedure for ATF these days]

Exactly!!! See the bold part of this paragraph^^^^^ Stop your "bickering" and call the ATF! You sir are my case in point!
Link Posted: 2/28/2010 12:41:27 PM EDT
[#37]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

<snip>

Wrong.

Link Posted: 2/28/2010 1:37:38 PM EDT
[#38]
Newbee here, Consider this a formal introduction.

Issue: Followed directions an mailed my fake suppressor to ATI with delivery confirmation. WTF am I suppose to think when I track my item and it says attempted delivery, will be available for pick-up.
Go ahead and look up the tracking number. ATI chris, you make it seem like the ATF is all over your a$$, but what's the excuse for not being available for these packages? Not trying to cause trouble, but this just makes me uneasy on this very sensitive subject. Pleas give me an explanation.
Tracking # 03090330000082399326.
Link Posted: 2/28/2010 3:40:14 PM EDT
[#39]
Sir,
Could it be because your parcel was delievered on Saturday?  I don't know if ATI is open Saturdays, their office hours are 9-5

Label/Receipt Number: 0309 0330 0000 8239 9326
Class: First-Class Mail®
Service(s): Delivery Confirmation™

We attempted to deliver your item at 11:28 AM on February 27, 2010 in ROCHESTER, NY 14624 and a notice was left. You may pick up the item at the Post Office indicated on the notice, go to www.usps.com/redelivery, or call 800-ASK-USPS to arrange for redelivery. If this item is unclaimed after 15 days then it will be returned to the sender. Information, if available, is updated periodically throughout the day. Please check again later.
Link Posted: 2/28/2010 4:20:59 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
Sir,
Could it be because your parcel was delievered on Saturday?  I don't know if ATI is open Saturdays, their office hours are 9-5

Label/Receipt Number: 0309 0330 0000 8239 9326
Class: First-Class Mail®
Service(s): Delivery Confirmation™

We attempted to deliver your item at 11:28 AM on February 27, 2010 in ROCHESTER, NY 14624 and a notice was left. You may pick up the item at the Post Office indicated on the notice, go to www.usps.com/redelivery, or call 800-ASK-USPS to arrange for redelivery. If this item is unclaimed after 15 days then it will be returned to the sender. Information, if available, is updated periodically throughout the day. Please check again later.

I hope this is the case. I couldn't find any hours of operation on their site. Sorry to wig out, I have an itchy trigger finger.
Link Posted: 2/28/2010 5:24:49 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:
<snip>

Wrong.

Source?
Link Posted: 3/1/2010 6:30:43 AM EDT
[#42]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

<snip>

Wrong.

Source?

NFA Handbook - Chapter 9 - Section 9.5

Conveyances of NFA firearms not treated as “transfers” under the NFA

Link Posted: 3/1/2010 8:50:34 AM EDT
[#43]
Chris, it would be nice to see a definitive list of affected serial number ranges.  most people look at their GSG5, and wonder what generation and/or model they posses.

(myself included).
Link Posted: 3/1/2010 11:28:13 AM EDT
[#44]
Chris,

Thanks for the outstanding service and quick turn around time. I just got my SD back with new can and new receiver! It looks like you guys replaced everything inside, and it looks alot better now in black. This was a painless solution to ship and the customer service is outstanding! Cudos to ATI!
Link Posted: 3/1/2010 11:43:51 AM EDT
[#45]
Link Posted: 3/1/2010 1:26:42 PM EDT
[#46]
I would suggest adding some sample pictures to help folks clarify the SD is the only model currently being targeted.
There have been numerous incorrect comments here that the (non-SD) GSG5 carbine with the small barrel shroud was also affected, so it might help to have pictures to clarify and show the dimensions you reference.
Link Posted: 3/1/2010 3:05:27 PM EDT
[#47]
Link Posted: 3/2/2010 6:11:42 AM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
Already up in another thread

Pics http://www.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=6&f=41&t=306726

Wrong. That thread shows the difference between the old SD can and the new SD can. The poster above you was asking for a shot that shows the difference between the SD model and the original GSG-5 non SD model. The cans are different sizes.
Link Posted: 3/2/2010 6:21:26 AM EDT
[#49]
I guess I misunderstood the question. I will let you google fu that one then
Link Posted: 3/2/2010 6:31:29 AM EDT
[#50]
whoops
Page / 6
Page Armory » GSG-5
Top Top