Page / 7
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 2/6/2010 4:19:17 AM EDT
[#1]
IBTL

eta:  13 are mine!
Link Posted: 2/6/2010 5:20:29 AM EDT
[#2]
Rick A It looks like you were mistaken about the firing pin being locked forward and causing an Out of battery firing .Check out Tacilites warning in this furum. They at least have enough sense to recall there mistakes. Not like some others ! Before someone gets hurt!
Link Posted: 2/6/2010 5:24:09 AM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Wonder why there hasn't been a notification showing up on the BOHICA website? Something to the tune of "don't shoot these guns til we figure out what happened".

-David
Edgewood, NM

DID LRS do that when mark lost his eye and fingers? Nope. I left FCSA all together after that Crap with the Studdering idiot of a President chose censorship and cover up to hide the fact that a LRS 50 had almost taken a mans life with an OBD.  I quit the FCSA as it is a Bunch of Liars and scammers that look to self inetrest before helping those in need. They take donated Items and break rules for self beneifit.

I hope they close this thread until the facts are heard and a 100% factul reason is found. I shoot My 50 a bunch. I am very careful to tripple check everything, I take my time, A 50 is not a .22. everything must be 100% in order before you close a bolt. How many times have you guys feel and look at the bolt face before each shot, How many of you lift your head and body away from the gun when you chamber a round and close the bolt.

Dave you will never change, Pot stirring must mke you feel so good, I cant belive they still let you yap as you please here.

Reloading takes tons of time to do it rig, One disraction and a primer is not seated properly, It could Kaboom OBD. A lot of us could deeply speculate on the things the can cause what happend, Iy#t doesnt change a thing, a man is hurt, he needs help,I say lets help em, no more bs!

Crawl back in your hole, troll.

-David
Edgewood, NM

Link Posted: 2/6/2010 5:50:20 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
this is SAD, When a LRS sends a bolt thru a mans head, the thread is squahed with a quickness to protect LRS against speculation, I was the one to break the news of the LRS on FCSA forum as the victim was a close friend and he gave me first hand information. I think the same respect should be given to Bohica. Close this thread until some Facts are presented in such a way that it is first hand knowledge rather than educated guesses is presented.

It is a shame anyone gets hurt while trying to enjoy the freedom we americans have. Now lets show some class, let the facts be reveled and learn from them. Also if the person that is hurt requires finical aid for time lost from work, med bills ect .  We could all pitch in $100.00 and help they guy out. If the injured person pm's me with request for help. I will try to help him.

And Sir it is a shame if the above red hi-lighted word is a misspell. For I am not aware of any such thing happening. If it did happen, please educate me. And if it did not happen, then your typo has just misinformed a whole lot of people. I hope it is a typo, but see what kind of action stating that a bolt went through someones head can do too.

I also have left FCSA. For basiclly the same reasons. It would have been grand if someone at FCSA had started a donation drive for the guy that was at the nationals. And if the guy before and the BOHICA shooter. Even if they are not members of FCSA, they are members of the shooting community.  And BTW is it not a ALS?
Link Posted: 2/6/2010 5:52:09 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Rick A It looks like you were mistaken about the firing pin being locked forward and causing an Out of battery firing .Check out Tacilites warning in this furum. They at least have enough sense to recall there mistakes. Not like some others ! Before someone gets hurt!

Actually what I got out of the recall notice is that they state that over tightening the bolt handle can lock the firing pin. So, which one of us cant read?
Link Posted: 2/6/2010 6:02:10 AM EDT
[#6]
Cool it!

50cal
Link Posted: 2/6/2010 6:39:57 AM EDT
[#7]
Where do these guys pop up from?
 Another Bohica thread down the tube.  Damn.
Link Posted: 2/6/2010 8:00:51 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Actually what I got out of the recall notice is that they state that over tightening the bolt handle can lock the firing pin. So, which one of us cant read?

For those just joining this topic of conversation, They = Tactilite.  Tactilite recalled their upper bolt assembly, not Bohica.  Tactilte hasn't had one (or two) accidents, they just used their head and decided to fix a potential safety problem BEFORE somebody gets hurt.  That is the standard this industry should strive for when dealing with design problems that impact safety!

This thread is titled "Bohica Kaboom", so one shouldn't get the idea that a defect of the Tactilite upper had anything to do with the incident at the Angeles range.

On MY Bohica upper, at least, the bolt handle screw on the improved bolt, as well as the threaded shank on the original bolt, are not long enough to engage and lock the firing pin.  If someone replaced the provided screw with a longer one, bad things could happen... also, screws of a nominal size do vary in length, and if your bolt handle screw is engaging the firing pin for any reason your best bet it to contact Bohica Arms Corp. and have them send you a proper one.

I'm not sure at what percentage of lug engagement that a Bohica action would be safe.  And the geometry of the safety cam combined with the hammer width would impact at what percentage of engagement the firing pin shielding would become ineffective.  Don't laugh, but I'm thinking about drilling a hole through the lower and a matching hole on the hammer, then securing the hammer with a cross pin.  Then I could close the bolt 100% before removing the pin.  Regardless of the efficacy of the current bolt design, even if the bolt is later redesigned to be safer, having another robust hammer blocking solution sounds like a belt-and-suspenders idea to me.  To paraphrase, a dumb idea that saves your face from getting blown off, isn't dumb.

My alternative idea is to shoot an AR-50 instead

Link Posted: 2/6/2010 10:01:03 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

[/quote]

Somebody did get hurt.   It may have not been with their rifle, but until this person got hurt, they hadn't issued a recall for this issue.   I still say this incident woke up a few manufacturer's to go look at their designs a bit closer.   It's not a bad thing that they did this and are issuing a recall but let's be honest here, unless the incident in LA happened, this recall may not have happened either.
Cheers,
cc
Link Posted: 2/6/2010 2:18:43 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Originally Posted By jdfreak, not dwkennedy:

Somebody did get hurt.   It may have not been with their rifle, but until this person got hurt, they hadn't issued a recall for this issue.   I still say this incident woke up a few manufacturer's to go look at their designs a bit closer.   It's not a bad thing that they did this and are issuing a recall but let's be honest here, unless the incident in LA happened, this recall may not have happened either.
Cheers,
cc

Just FYI, that dwkennedy quote should be attributed to jdfreak.  I am well aquainted with dwkennedy and he assures me he didn't type that
Link Posted: 2/6/2010 3:09:33 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

Just FYI, that dwkennedy quote should be attributed to jdfreak.  I am well aquainted with dwkennedy and he assures me he didn't type that

My apologies DW.....I got all confused with the two or three quotes and figured I probably screwed it up!
Cheers,
cc
Link Posted: 2/6/2010 5:34:28 PM EDT
[#12]
It's almost been 30 days since this incident happened and we still don't have any new information from either party? WTF?

Link Posted: 2/6/2010 7:28:40 PM EDT
[#13]
Did you really think you would hear anything?   It's been 7-8 months since the ALS Kaboom and so far nothing (official anyway) from that either!    You won't hear anything until all the legal avenues are covered.
cc
Link Posted: 2/6/2010 8:49:20 PM EDT
[#14]
While I keep hoping that something will be released, since the Bohica is the .50 I'm looking to acquire when the time comes (and nothing in this thread so far has changed that) I honestly don't expect anything to be released any time soon.

Chris would be a fool to issue a recall based on an accusation he couldn't check on.  Even though one or two potential buyers would applaud a "precautionary" recall, the majority of shoppers would see only the word "recall" and move along.  The harm it would do to his business would be great.  Particularly if there's litigation involved, with the possibility that a recall might be construed as an admission of guilt.

Yes, yes, I know that killing/maiming a customer wouldn't exactly be good for business, but that's kinda the point at this point.  All we know at this point is that somebody got pictures before the lid was slammed down, that stories are changing, and that the father of the injured shooter seems to be blaming the rifle and appears to have lawyered up.

Knowing people the way I do, it surprises me not in the least that dad would blame the rifle.  He might even be right.  But he might not be.  He might even be like some other California parents I know of who make a living off the misfortunes of their children on the talk show and speechifying circuits.

To reiterate, we don't now, and probably won't any time soon.

It's commendable that forum members have been doing home trials.  That's what makes ARFcom great in my eyes.  While lawyers are sailing through the air in battery and counter-battery fusillades,  that's probably all we can hope for.  The more we can find out by ourselves, the less we have to wonder what sort of affect lawyers are having on our hobby/safety.

And remember, guys, we're all armed here, and an armed society is supposed to be a polite society.  So keep it civil!
Link Posted: 2/6/2010 10:57:55 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Really,

I thought that this thread was about the recent Ka Boom of the BOHICA rifle. not the Ka Boom of two individuals over the operations of a company that makes and the promotion of said rifle, aka the fall out between Chris and Orkan.

The original inquiry was about the Bohica website and lack of updates, hence that inevitably being brought up.

Quoted:
Quoted:
Originally Posted By jdfreak, not dwkennedy:

Cheers,
cc

It is all still speculation in regards to Bohica's upper.
Link Posted: 2/7/2010 7:12:28 PM EDT
[#16]
For those that question the design of the Bohica bolt, Take a look at this Steyr HS50.  Don't think the would use the design if it was faulty.

Link Posted: 2/7/2010 7:14:58 PM EDT
[#17]
Enough with the insults and nonsense in one of the most technical forums of the site.  Please start another thread when FACTS become available.  Also, EVERYONE please be mindful of the fact ALL posts in a technical forum are expected to be on-topic, polit
Page / 7
Next Page Arrow Left
Page Armory » 50 Cal
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top