Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 7/2/2015 8:39:21 PM EDT
What is the consensus as to the best rail for the scar 17? I was about to buy the MI unit. Opinions?  Is there something better?
Link Posted: 7/2/2015 8:46:27 PM EDT
[#1]
The VLTOR rail looks pretty sharp; though now the latest flavor of rails is the KEYMOD/`MLOK rails. Midwest Industries makes a KEYMOD rail that also looks sweet.

Midwest Keymod Rail; this would be my choice if I had a SCAR.
Link Posted: 7/2/2015 9:18:55 PM EDT
[#2]
KDG M-REX

Most excellent, light, and works
Link Posted: 7/2/2015 9:30:25 PM EDT
[#3]

Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

KDG M-REX

View Quote
https://kineticdg.com/scar-mrex-solutions/

Link Posted: 7/2/2015 10:08:15 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
KDG M-REX

View Quote

By far the best option IMO but you pay for it
Link Posted: 7/2/2015 10:12:21 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
KDG M-REX

Buy once, cry once.
Link Posted: 7/3/2015 8:34:30 AM EDT
[#6]
"Best" is always a matter of debate.

I'm still partial to the PWS SRX or no rail extension.

Link Posted: 7/4/2015 4:05:22 PM EDT
[#7]
I'm digging the shortness lately, not that changing a rail will effect my barrel length at all but since I've SBR'd and done away with the 16" I'm thinking about going back to factory settings and doing away with he MREX. I haven't tried any others but it has the forearm feel of a hunting rifle like a R700, which is a good thing if you don't like VFGs.
Link Posted: 7/4/2015 6:57:44 PM EDT
[#8]
I'm going with the MREX 6.5 in fde. It's twice the price of the MI but I like it best. I want to get the rail before I decide what length to have the barrel cut.
Link Posted: 7/5/2015 7:10:43 PM EDT
[#9]
MREX for me. It thins out the front for a better feel and lightens it up.

Link Posted: 7/7/2015 3:55:00 PM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 7/7/2015 4:18:25 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
We do have a new SOCOM model that works great for SBR's .
View Quote

Got any pics of this on a 10.5" 16S?
Link Posted: 7/7/2015 4:44:23 PM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 7/8/2015 10:45:09 AM EDT
[#13]
Exactly - it won't fit on a SBRd 16S, only a SBRd 17S.

So those of us with short SCAR-Ls STILL have no like options available, save the uber-expensive Handl carbon fiber short forends.
Sad that no one has come up with anything for us yet, & I'll bet there are FAR more short 16s than 17s.
Just sayin.

Maybe KDG will offer up something soon.  Sigh.
OK, rant off.

ETA: I do realize this thread was initially an inquisition into 17S rails, not 16S.  Apologies for the hijack/derailment!
Link Posted: 7/8/2015 11:19:42 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Exactly - it won't fit on a SBRd 16S, only a SBRd 17S.

So those of us with short SCAR-Ls STILL have no like options available, save the uber-expensive Handl carbon fiber short forends.
Sad that no one has come up with anything for us yet, & I'll bet there are FAR more short 16s than 17s.
Just sayin.

Maybe KDG will offer up something soon.  Sigh.
OK, rant off.

ETA: I do realize this thread was initially an inquisition into 17S rails, not 16S.  Apologies for the hijack/derailment!
View Quote

The Branham Tactical rail will give an extra 2" to a 16S CQC.

http://www.aimsurplus.com/product.aspx?item=xbtscar2
Link Posted: 7/8/2015 12:14:21 PM EDT
[#15]
True - but like the OP, am looking for a rail replacement.

Currently running PMM Keymod sides & bottoms on both my SCARs & they really do work great. The forend is slimmer (I've girly hands) & lighter as well.
The only problem is that the gas block is still exposed & that bastard gets HOT.  I wear gloves anyway, but it's still a magnet for those offhand fingertips...

As of now, the Handl (& Branham) are the only options available.  One is borderline prohibitively expensive (I need two), & the other is simply more rails (of which none of my long guns wear anymore).
Link Posted: 7/8/2015 4:08:17 PM EDT
[#16]
All the Midwest Industries offerings say they fit the 16 and 17. Does something change when you SBR it that I'm not thinking about? I was just planning to have my barrel cut so I figured the gas block stays in the same spot. I am liking the MI socom X but it might be too long. Maybe just the regular socom. It looks very similar to the MREX at half the price.
Link Posted: 7/8/2015 6:30:55 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
All the Midwest Industries offerings say they fit the 16 and 17. Does something change when you SBR it that I'm not thinking about? I was just planning to have my barrel cut so I figured the gas block stays in the same spot. I am liking the MI socom X but it might be too long. Maybe just the regular socom. It looks very similar to the MREX at half the price.
View Quote

They'll all "fit"; the gas block placement really can't move.  The issue with shorter barrels is if & how far the muzzle device extends past the end of it.  A 10-10.5" 16S (or in my case, a 14.2" 16S with AAC MITER mount permanently affixed) won't lend itself well to most all replacement forends.  Having your muzzle brake or flash hider /inside/ one of these could be catastrophic, regardless if it's carbon fiber, 7075 or 6061 Al.  & forget using a suppressor, which most all of us with shorter SCARs utilize.  Yes, this is sort of a specific "niche" variation, but I'll bet whomever beats the others to the punch will sell ALOT of them.
Link Posted: 7/10/2015 7:52:46 PM EDT
[#18]
Does that kinetic MREX rail fit over the Blackout Flash Hider 51-Tooth MITER ??
Link Posted: 7/10/2015 9:00:31 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
Does that kinetic MREX rail fit over the Blackout Flash Hider 51-Tooth MITER ??
View Quote

It doesn't look as if it would.  Even so, it wouldn't fit over the suppressor.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top