Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 8/11/2014 4:48:51 PM EDT
I've heard that the chrome lining in SCAR barrels are pretty delicate once you chop the barrel and that only Marvin Pitts can do the chop job correctly. Is there any truth to this? Is there anything that has to be done with a SCAR barrel that is different from any other chrome lined barrel?

I like having options because I know he can be pretty busy at times. ADCO and Atwell Tactical also offer SCAR barrel chop services. Atwell is local to me. I want my barrel done correctly, but I don't want to have to wait forever once I have my stamp...
Link Posted: 8/11/2014 6:21:57 PM EDT
[#1]
What length are you looking for? I just saw 10" and 13" factory quick change at LGS. Then you don't have to chop your barrel and change between SBR and 16" within a few minutes
Link Posted: 8/12/2014 8:07:41 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
What length are you looking for? I just saw 10" and 13" factory quick change at LGS. Then you don't have to chop your barrel and change between SBR and 16" within a few minutes
View Quote

If you're talking about the factory barrels, the problem with that is the price…. hovering around $1000, give or take $50-$100.  That's a lot of money tied up in a barrel to be able to go back and forth.  I considered this option, but decided on getting mine cut down.

OP - I had heard that too and probably wouldn't just trust anyone, but my local gunsmith is doing mine because I trust him and because he has done several others that have worked perfectly.
Link Posted: 8/13/2014 11:34:05 AM EDT
[#3]
Marvin did my 16S barrel (cut down to 10,5") and ADCO has done a few things of mine (556 Patrol barrel cut down and another barrel a thread job) all of which turned out really nice.

You most likely already know this but if you are chopping a SCAR barrel down remember to buy a range of gas plug screws so you can tune it. Can someone who has purchased one tell us if the factory CQB barrels come with a "correct" gas screw already installed?
Link Posted: 8/13/2014 4:02:08 PM EDT
[#4]
Adco cut my fs2000 barrel which is identical to scar 16. Have not had a single problem and couldn't be happier with the quality of the work.

Link Posted: 8/14/2014 12:53:28 PM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Marvin did my 16S barrel (cut down to 10,5") and ADCO has done a few things of mine (556 Patrol barrel cut down and another barrel a thread job) all of which turned out really nice.

You most likely already know this but if you are chopping a SCAR barrel down remember to buy a range of gas plug screws so you can tune it. Can someone who has purchased one tell us if the factory CQB barrels come with a "correct" gas screw already installed?
View Quote

Apparently the factory barrel assemblies are tuned in house and should ship with the appropriate size screw.  I've been told on other forums that this tuning factors into the cost of the bbl assembly.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top