Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 6/18/2014 3:35:51 PM EDT
To change or not to change?  Have you guys noticed a large difference in recoil after the change?
Link Posted: 6/18/2014 5:07:54 PM EDT
[#1]
I have considered it but I am waiting to get a suppressor first and get the muzzle device to match.

That is my suggestion get a brake/hider for the suppressor you suspect you may get someday.
Link Posted: 6/18/2014 5:26:13 PM EDT
[#2]
I have a can and that is the direction I'll go if I do change it.
Link Posted: 6/19/2014 12:54:50 AM EDT
[#3]
get rid of that brake...
Link Posted: 6/19/2014 4:08:05 AM EDT
[#4]
I definitely noticed a difference.  The PWS comp that comes on the gun is very effective but is ugly as all sin.  Changed to an AAC SCAR-H MITER for aesthetic reasons but now that my SDN-6 is almost out of jail I've got an AAC 51t flash hider.
Link Posted: 6/19/2014 6:35:04 AM EDT
[#5]
Swap it out with the flash hider of your choice.  You'll never look back.  The very fact that it is rigged on there with a jam nut tells you that the brake was thrown on there as an afterthought by FN for the US civilian market.  The european civilian scars and the MK17 both utilize flash hiders.
Link Posted: 6/19/2014 10:04:52 AM EDT
[#6]
The scarH has little change to felt recoil with a flashider vs the muzzle brake.

Change it
Link Posted: 6/19/2014 10:55:43 AM EDT
[#7]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
The scarH has little change to felt recoil with a flashider vs the muzzle brake.

Change it
View Quote

Oh their is a change but it is almost entirely sound….  The stock muzzle device is loud and ruins the person next to you at the ranges time.  I avoid people at the range because of this I know how much I dislike being around it when someone else shoots my rifle.
Link Posted: 6/19/2014 10:47:11 PM EDT
[#8]
I'm much happier with the flash hider on mine, yes there was a difference, but still very manageable and no excessive noise.
Link Posted: 7/3/2014 2:58:06 PM EDT
[#9]
i changed mine because it was ringing my ears through my muffs. it was that loud shooting under the roof at the range that it had to go. i now have a vortex and its fine to shoot now and the recoil is still very manageable.
Link Posted: 7/3/2014 11:49:47 PM EDT
[#10]
What about people changing to the battlecomp?
Link Posted: 7/4/2014 6:18:40 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
get rid of that brake...
View Quote

Link Posted: 7/4/2014 1:07:25 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
What about people changing to the battlecomp?
View Quote

I ran the BABC for a while on my 17.  Slightly less effective recoil reduction than the PWS, but definitely a big reduction in concussive blast.
Link Posted: 7/4/2014 5:05:21 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
get rid of that brake...

+1 Here.  The factory brake is effective, but very, very loud - obnoxiously so.  It also produces a lot of side-blast and makes a pretty nasty dust storm when prone.  From my own experience, I think the factory brake only marginally offers recoil reduction and reduction in muzzle rise over a Surefire flash hider.  I can see that a brake would be great for full auto or for 3-gun, but isn't necessary for most other applications.  Having said that, I would love to try out a KAC MAMS brake on my 17, but I'm not sure if the threads are compatible on what is available now.  I think it has the funky SR25 pattern.  It isn't too obnoxiously loud on my friend's EMC.   I also have a friend that cut down his barrel to 14.5" and mounted a BCM comp and it works very well on a 16.
Link Posted: 7/4/2014 5:21:18 PM EDT
[#14]

I have shot mine with my AAC 51t flash hider (no can obviously) and don't notice any difference in felt recoil.  Maybe if I shot side by side I could, but honestly I feel no difference.  I am rather recoil insensitive though, so take it for what it's worth.  Shooting my SCAR suppressed though has made it one of my favorite rifles to shoot and I am a die hard AR-15 guy.
Link Posted: 9/3/2014 4:30:52 PM EDT
[#15]
So what would be the most quiet thing to put on a 17s?
Link Posted: 9/3/2014 5:13:56 PM EDT
[#16]
I changed mine for a flashider mount for my surefire socom can.  Their is a difference in felt recoil, but I would still classify it as a "soft" shooter.
Link Posted: 9/4/2014 3:56:15 PM EDT
[#17]
Link Posted: 9/4/2014 8:04:53 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
View Quote

A suppressor
Link Posted: 9/4/2014 8:14:39 PM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:
A suppressor
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

A suppressor
Sure come in here and steal the show.  Of course you are right.

Link Posted: 9/4/2014 8:15:20 PM EDT
[#20]
I replaced mine with the BCM 7.62 comp.

Slightly more felt recoil but way less concusion.
Especially to anyone near.
Link Posted: 9/6/2014 2:37:01 PM EDT
[#21]
So what Flash supressor do you guys feel is the most quiet? Is it the AAC Blackout?
Link Posted: 9/19/2014 5:32:18 PM EDT
[#22]
Switched mine out to a SF brake to run my SF can. I like it better than the PWS.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top