Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 2/29/2008 2:48:05 PM EDT
I test fired a friend's FN 5.56 over the weekend and it uses a hammer that is made of plastic.

Why wouldn't a hammer made out of plastic work in the AR-15?
Link Posted: 2/29/2008 2:55:21 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 2/29/2008 3:01:32 PM EDT
[#2]
The M16 was designed in the 1960s... plastics technology was in its infancy then. Even now, I have to say (as a polymer chemist who still works in the polymer field) plastic fire control parts do not blow my skirt up.
Link Posted: 2/29/2008 5:26:44 PM EDT
[#3]
Dont see any advantage to it

Probably more expensive in the long run as well
Link Posted: 2/29/2008 7:03:00 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
I test fired a friend's FN 5.56 over the weekend and it uses a hammer that is made of plastic.

Heat and fouling.
Link Posted: 2/29/2008 8:44:21 PM EDT
[#5]
Because there is no reason to change it.
Link Posted: 2/29/2008 8:46:57 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
The M16 was designed in the 1960s... plastics technology was in its infancy then. Even now, I have to say (as a polymer chemist who still works in the polymer field) plastic fire control parts do not blow my skirt up.

The AUG has used a completely plastic fire control pack since the 1970s with no issues.

I would say the only reason the AR doesn't have plastic FCG aprts is because there would be little advantage to switching to them. The existing parts work fine and are cheap.
Link Posted: 3/1/2008 1:39:57 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

Because then it would not be detectable by airport security and would become the gun of choice for international terrorists.

Any body remember those arguments?
Link Posted: 3/1/2008 10:44:44 AM EDT
[#8]
OK - thanks for the replies.  Seeing the FN's plastic sear and hammer just got me thinking about the AR; I guess when it was first designed, Stoner's use of aluminum and plastic seemed really radical, compared to the Garand-derived M14 - and now everyone accepts the AR.  

Maybe the NEXT US service rifle after the AR/M-4 will use an FN style hammer and sear.  for now steel parts are good.
Link Posted: 3/1/2008 10:50:53 AM EDT
[#9]
Does the Mk 16 and Mk 17 (SCAR L and H respectively) use a plastic FCG?
Link Posted: 3/1/2008 5:35:36 PM EDT
[#10]
If the lower and internals are still based on the FNC, no.
Link Posted: 3/6/2008 7:39:46 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
Does the Mk 16 and Mk 17 (SCAR L and H respectively) use a plastic FCG?

No.

A plastic AR hammer may be too light to ignite all types of ammo.  Just a thought.   It would have to have SOME metal because of the sear surface too (HK MK23 has a metal/plastic hammer).
Link Posted: 3/13/2008 7:47:57 AM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Heat and fouling.

+1

The FS2000 does not use a direct impingement gas system, so polymer is fine. I think most polymers would not be happy in the heat- and carbon-rich environment of your standard AR receiver.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top