BCM
User Panel

Posted: 9/14/2007 1:19:06 PM EDT
Anyone own or shoot one?

FN 5.7
Link Posted: 9/14/2007 1:28:29 PM EDT
[#1]
Yes and yes!
Good weapon accurate ammo is kinda pricey.
Link Posted: 9/14/2007 5:21:26 PM EDT
[#2]
Light weight, low recoil, flat shooting, 20rd mag, it's the fastest & most accurate centerfire handgun I've ever fired (YMMV). With that being said, I now own 2 of them...
Tomac
PS- At appx $17 per box of 50 it's not that expensive compared to other quality handgun ammo.
Link Posted: 9/14/2007 6:07:40 PM EDT
[#3]
I own one.  I recently injured my right arm.  It is much better for me to use a 5.7 than it is to try and train myeslf to use a larger caliber left handed.

Not saying that  if my condition turns out to be permanent, I wouldn't go that route, but short term, the 5.7 seems to be the best answer to my needs.  I do not intend to move into a "secure" building, in other words.
Link Posted: 9/14/2007 6:11:17 PM EDT
[#4]
Accurate....high capacity......ammo is not that high, compared to other ammo currently
Link Posted: 9/14/2007 8:51:58 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
Light weight, low recoil, flat shooting, 20rd mag, it's the fastest & most accurate centerfire handgun I've ever fired (YMMV). With that being said, I now own 2 of them...
Tomac
PS- At appx $17 per box of 50 it's not that expensive compared to other quality handgun ammo.

$17 a box? ,, hummm , where?

I see it for $22
Link Posted: 9/14/2007 9:05:31 PM EDT
[#6]
Ammo is too expensive, so I passed.
Link Posted: 9/14/2007 9:20:24 PM EDT
[#7]
FN Herstal 5.7 pistol opinions ?  

Future registered pistol
Link Posted: 9/15/2007 2:16:07 AM EDT
[#8]
Ammo is expensive for a pistol, compared to good quality 9mm JHP. There's no cheap plinking ammo for 5.7x28, but 9mm FMJ is still $0.10/rd.
Link Posted: 9/15/2007 5:02:25 AM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

Quoted:
Tomac

I see it for $22

This guy only advertises one case of each (197 & 195) at a time so keep checking back: www.gunbroker.com/auction/SellerAuctions.asp?User=506535
$646/case plus $28 shipping works out to just under $17/box.
Tomac
Link Posted: 9/15/2007 5:57:44 AM EDT
[#10]
CMMG also has 10 round magazine extenders, it seems like you never have to reload.
Link Posted: 9/15/2007 8:40:22 AM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
CMMG also has 10 round magazine extenders, it seems like you never have to reload.

The 5.7 pistol and the PS90 are like the modern day equivelant of the Henry Rifle of the civil war.

That Damn Yankee Rifle
The Henry, an advanced repeating rifle saw limited but effective use during the war as the war drew to a close. The Confederates referred to it as "That damn Yankee rifle they load up on Sunday and fire all week." The Henry carried 15 rounds of .44 caliber ammunition in its magazine.
Link Posted: 9/15/2007 5:42:05 PM EDT
[#12]
I have always thought that the 5.7 pistol was like an after thought for them in terms of the 5.7x28mm, which was first and foremost designed for the P90.

They are pretty expensive pistols as well and there are just too many better uses for my money out there.

Thats my two cents anyways.

Link Posted: 9/15/2007 6:15:57 PM EDT
[#13]
I think you should ask people who OWN the 5.7 if its worth it. Ask if they sold it, or still have it? Ask how the recoil, accuracy, sights, and overall quality is. I think you will get less vague answers. Theres too many members here who are simply too cheap, never fired one, or too closed minded to give a respectable answer worth weighing a decision with.

Usually youll also get many nay-sayers saying the 5.7 is like a 22 magnum which simply isnt true. I have seen deer dropped with one shot from a 10" SBR PS90. I dont think the pistol version looses so much punch to render this round innefective from a pistol platform. People tend to shun innovation, such as Glocks when first introduced.

I sell them and personally own one. I will never sell mine. They are very accurate, great sights, mild-low recoil, and for a gun thats has alot of plastic it is very robust. I have fired about 300 rounds through mine with no malfunctions.

Ammo isnt very expensive for the quality you get. Its cheaper than premium defensive pistol ammo, to be fair there isnt cheap plinking ammo, but you can reload or wait for wolf to start amking some hopefully.
Link Posted: 9/16/2007 2:51:10 AM EDT
[#14]
I liked mine so much, I dumped another 1100 into it to shoot it quietly
Link Posted: 9/16/2007 4:42:13 AM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:
Ammo isnt very expensive for the quality you get. Its cheaper than premium defensive pistol ammo, to be fair there isnt cheap plinking ammo, but you can reload or wait for wolf to start amking some hopefully.

It's about 36-40 cents per cartridge, maybe 33-35 cents if you buy it locally.
Good defensive 147 gr 9mm Luger JHP is about 20-30 cents.

However, there's no cheap plinking ammo for 5.7x28, so you're stuck shooting the 33-40cent/cartridge ammo even for practice, while you can buy 115 gr 9mm FMJ (brass cased, copper jacketed) locally for 10-12cents/cartridge at the local grocery store.

The recoil from 5.7x28 is reduced, but 9mm Luger isn't that difficult to handle anyhow. The benefit of SS195LF over 9mm, 40S&W, and 45 Auto is that it can penetrate soft Level II and Level III vests.

My Glock's standard cap mags hold 17 rd and there are factory 33rd mags available. I've never had a problem using either type of mag in the field during a class or at the range.
Link Posted: 9/21/2007 11:52:59 AM EDT
[#16]
I love mine.  I have about 500 rounds through it now.  It's way more accurate than I am and the recoil is light enough to put double-taps on top of each other with little effort.  I wish someone made a brass catcher for it though, because I lose brass every range session.

The major drawback of course is how hard it hits your wallet; both gun and ammo.
Link Posted: 10/2/2007 3:03:51 PM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:
I think you should ask people who OWN the 5.7 if its worth it. Ask if they sold it, or still have it? Ask how the recoil, accuracy, sights, and overall quality is. I think you will get less vague answers. Theres too many members here who are simply too cheap, never fired one, or too closed minded to give a respectable answer worth weighing a decision with.

Usually youll also get many nay-sayers saying the 5.7 is like a 22 magnum which simply isnt true. I have seen deer dropped with one shot from a 10" SBR PS90. I dont think the pistol version looses so much punch to render this round innefective from a pistol platform. People tend to shun innovation, such as Glocks when first introduced.

I sell them and personally own one. I will never sell mine. They are very accurate, great sights, mild-low recoil, and for a gun thats has alot of plastic it is very robust. I have fired about 300 rounds through mine with no malfunctions.

U made a VERY good post - great reply to naysayers who always jump on these 5.7 threads.
Link Posted: 10/2/2007 3:09:16 PM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:

Quoted:
Tomac

I see it for $22

www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.asp?Item=81981158

17.50/box

I've shot the 195 at mild steel plates at 25 yards. It barely moves the 6" circles and just removes the paint.  It would not be my first choice for a self-defense round, but hey, you can carry 40+ with no problem.
Link Posted: 10/2/2007 6:58:41 PM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:

I'm on the fence as well, and despite internet BS about how innefective they are, people that have them usually love them and have complete faith in them.
Link Posted: 10/3/2007 8:04:57 PM EDT
[#20]
I like mine.  It is my outdoor carry gun, mainly because it is flat-shooting and I can hit things with it at ranges that are much harder to hit with a conventional pistol.  Huge capacity and light weight.  Spendy ammo of course, so I can't/don't shoot it as much as I'd like.

Don't know anything about terminal ballistics.  I plan to take it varminting next month, so maybe I will have more of an opinion then.
Link Posted: 10/4/2007 4:13:00 PM EDT
[#21]
The thing that concerns me (I'm sure everyone here will jump down my throat for saying this) is that the 5.7x28mm was designed for the P90.

The 5.7 pistol is kind of an afterthought.

The barrel length and velocity of the P90 is all much greater than the 5.7 and while I think the 5.7x28mm more than gets the job done with the P90 in terms of terminal ballistics I think saying the same for the 5.7 is a bit of stretch.

I don't see how you get the same kinetic energy out of the 5.7x28mm round with the 5.7 pistol?  I also don't see how you get the required velocity to achieve the tumble and yaw effect the 5.7x28mm has with the P90.

Outside of the terminal ballistics/is it a good nightstand gun I don't have any other issues really with the 5.7.  
Link Posted: 10/6/2007 2:55:24 PM EDT
[#22]
im sure this will sound as redneck as can be, but the 5.7 will rip the sh*t out of armadillos. i always shoot the 197 and it make quite an impressive wound, similar to a .223.  the dillas only make it a few steps after being hit. and if you've shot armadillos then you know that they are extremely hard to stop in their tracks.  I have shot armadillos with my fiveseven and xd45 back to back, and of course the 45 makes a big entry and exit wound the size of a tennis ball, but the exit wound of the 5.7 was atleast the size of a golf ball. I wouldnt hesitate at all to use this gun for self defence.  Also, shooting moving armadillos at 25yds isnt much of a stretch for fiveseven pistol.  I couldnt ask for more from mine.
Link Posted: 10/6/2007 5:34:28 PM EDT
[#23]
I would very much like to get one down the line.  I really like the innovation I am seeing in FN products.  The only negative I could perceive in the five seven is the grip.  In order to fit the 5.7 round, the grip is deep; almost too deep for my hands.
Link Posted: 10/9/2007 7:25:50 PM EDT
[#24]
height=8
Quoted:

I have a USG & an IOM.

height=8
Usually youll also get many nay-sayers saying the 5.7 is like a 22 magnum which simply isnt true. I have seen deer dropped with one shot from a 10" SBR PS90. I dont think the pistol version looses so much punch to render this round inefective from a pistol platform. People tend to shun innovation, such as Glocks when first introduced.

I've heard a lot of the same nonsense, especially on the FN boards, but I was pretty impressed by the ballistic gelatin tests. The bullet may enter the gelatin making a small hole, but it tumbles & takes out a good amount of space the farther that it pitches into the gelatin. I also like the fact that the ammunition is interchangeable with the PS90. I have one of those as well.

height=8
I sell them and personally own one. I will never sell mine. They are very accurate, great sights, mild-low recoil, and for a gun thats has a lot of plastic it is very robust. I have fired about 300 rounds through mine with no malfunctions.

That's very cool that you're a dealer. height=8
Ammo isn't very expensive for the quality you get. Its cheaper than premium defensive pistol ammo, to be fair there isnt cheap plinking ammo, but you can reload or wait for wolf to start making some hopefully.

You really have to look around the internet to find good prices. Its not cheap, but its a heck of a lot of fun to fire.
Which reminds me, I need to go to the range tomorrow & practice.
Link Posted: 10/13/2007 3:39:30 PM EDT
[#25]
I go varmint (gopher) once a year, and I bring a Ruger Mark III for the "Close" ones!!!  I was thinking about picking up a 5.7 pistol because we are always looking for "Flyers" and the 22lr just "pops' them a little.  I was thinking that I would have a little more fun with the 5.7 for the close shots and maybe extend the range a bit.

I know, it is a bit sick, but it is loads of fun!!!

How about 5.7 for Gophers?  I think it will be a great choice.
Link Posted: 10/13/2007 3:42:28 PM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:
I go varmint (gopher) once a year, and I bring a Ruger Mark III for the "Close" ones!!!  I was thinking about picking up a 5.7 pistol because we are always looking for "Flyers" and the 22lr just "pops' them a little.  I was thinking that I would have a little more fun with the 5.7 for the close shots and maybe extend the range a bit.

I know, it is a bit sick, but it is loads of fun!!!

How about 5.7 for Gophers?  I think it will be a great choice.

Long as you are up to it the gun should be fine for gophers out to at least 50 yards.  Good luck.
Top Top