Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page Armory » M-16
Site Notices
Posted: 7/26/2016 1:31:48 PM EDT
Looking at picking up a Shrike/MCR in the near future but hoping to get some input and questions answered before spending that kind of money.

1) When shooting with a belt does the bolt lock back on the last shot?

2) If not, is the bolt catch just used for holding the bolt back manually while changing the barrel?

3) What about when firing from a mag, does it lock back on the last shot then?

4) Can I just buy a stripped full auto carrier and use the parts from the sem-auto BCG to make a complete full auto BCG? I see semi-auto uppers selling for a fraction of the full auto versions and the only difference is the BCG and the extra sights which I wasn't planning to use anyways.
http://www.midwestgunworks.com/page/mgwi/prod/ares-defense-parts/15062

5) It appears the uppers come with a 16” heavy, manual adjustable gas block, I was also planning to pick up a 12” to use with a suppressor.
Is it best to choose a barrel that is self-regulated or the manually adjustable gas block?
What about heavy vs standard barrel?

6) For those who cant afford a RDIAS and have to use a RR do you leave those crazy mangled looking bolt catches on all the time or swap them out? Their new version isn’t quite as gaudy as the older double paddle version but still sticks out quite a bit.
http://www.midwestgunworks.com/page/mgwi/prod/ares-defense-parts/D14-15111

7) How often do you shoot your MCR/Shrike compared to other uppers for your M16? Was it worth the money or would you rather have bought a different firearm or more ammo instead.

Any comments or suggestions from veteran MCR/Shrike owners are appreciated!
Link Posted: 7/26/2016 6:11:43 PM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
Looking at picking up a Shrike/MCR in the near future but hoping to get some input and questions answered before spending that kind of money.

1) When shooting with a belt does the bolt lock back on the last shot? No

2) If not, is the bolt catch just used for holding the bolt back manually while changing the barrel? Not sure why the dam thing is there, I have a Tom Cassidy custom bolt catch

3) What about when firing from a mag, does it lock back on the last shot then?  No

4) Can I just buy a stripped full auto carrier and use the parts from the sem-auto BCG to make a complete full auto BCG? I see semi-auto uppers selling for a fraction of the full auto versions and the only difference is the BCG and the extra sights which I wasn't planning to use anyways.
http://www.midwestgunworks.com/page/mgwi/prod/ares-defense-parts/15062

Yes

5) It appears the uppers come with a 16” heavy, manual adjustable gas block, I was also planning to pick up a 12” to use with a suppressor.
Is it best to choose a barrel that is self-regulated or the manually adjustable gas block? Adjustable is all I have 12" and 16"
What about heavy vs standard barrel?

6) For those who cant afford a RDIAS and have to use a RR do you leave those crazy mangled looking bolt catches on all the time or swap them out? Their new version isn’t quite as gaudy as the older double paddle version but still sticks out quite a bit.
http://www.midwestgunworks.com/page/mgwi/prod/ares-defense-parts/D14-15111
I just leave it on all the time, it feels goofy

7) How often do you shoot your MCR/Shrike compared to other uppers for your M16? Was it worth the money or would you rather have bought a different firearm or more ammo instead. Every time,  when I go out I take 30-30rd mags (for std uppers), 1-150rd uptight saw mag and 4-100rd  nutsacks,  you'll defiantly need to tweak it, it's fun

Any comments or suggestions from veteran MCR/Shrike owners are appreciated!
View Quote

[
Link Posted: 7/26/2016 8:30:23 PM EDT
[#2]
I'll tell you what ARES customers service has got it together, they received my top cover today, fixed it and shipped it back for free the Same Day
I recommend buying parts or complete units direct.
And they apparently stand by there warrentee. Now they to date just replaced the receiver, charging handIe(s),Handguard, damaged to cover components.
Im going to remove my BCG and install the new Spare one i have and keep the used as a spare so i have a like new MCR.

The main pin in the top cover had backed out taking out of of the springs and bending two components

1 yes
2 it comes  in handy for that aswell as loading with out using the charging handle
3 yes
4 you could but the saving would be negligable, those cheaper units usually come with a pencil barrel rather than the thick ones also aluinium feed trays
5 you can order it either barrel length, you definitely want manual adjust, IMO you need the thicker barrel
6 if i had a RR id leave the catch installed i like the look and it works with all my other uppers

7 since i started using it, I use it the most. I love it
I am in the market for an hk sear so i can .308 beltfed...with the price of hosts for the HK sear it makes the shrike seem almost inexpensive.just remember if you buy it youll need a min of 2 barrels.

Edit..i may be wrong on 1 and 3.....brain fart..but i cant seem to remember
Link Posted: 7/27/2016 7:50:23 AM EDT
[#3]
Mine locks open on the last round fired from a magazine, but not from a belt.
Page Armory » M-16
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top