Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page Armory » M-16
Posted: 4/15/2016 10:02:12 PM EDT
Did you get a good deal? Shooter? Pics info? Im just wondering.
Link Posted: 4/16/2016 12:12:22 AM EDT
[#1]
I own 3 of them, all three went through Vietnam, what would you like to know, they are pretty beat up, but all 3 still function as they should, they have a very nice combat use patina on them.  Each one has the story to tell.  2 of them I received a very good price as they were pre-era guns, one of them I purchased from a personal friend I served with when he found out he had cancer and wanted to make sure it was preserved, but it was still a good price considering what I lost.

Number 1 went through the siege of Khe Sanh, Number 2 went through the Tet Offensive and number 3, I have not been able to trace the complete history of, yet.  One of these days, I do hope to trace the history of number 3.  Feel free to ask, if I can help, I will be happy to provide the information I have.

The first 2, I paid less than $5K for the pair, the 3rd one, I paid $13K for.
Link Posted: 4/16/2016 8:34:02 AM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I own 3 of them, all three went through Vietnam, what would you like to know, they are pretty beat up, but all 3 still function as they should, they have a very nice combat use patina on them.  Each one has the story to tell.  2 of them I received a very good price as they were pre-era guns, one of them I purchased from a personal friend I served with when he found out he had cancer and wanted to make sure it was preserved, but it was still a good price considering what I lost.

Number 1 went through the siege of Khe Sanh, Number 2 went through the Tet Offensive and number 3, I have not been able to trace the complete history of, yet.  One of these days, I do hope to trace the history of number 3.  Feel free to ask, if I can help, I will be happy to provide the information I have.

View Quote

Nice:
- transferable?
- amnesty registered?
- pre-May?
Link Posted: 4/16/2016 11:32:19 AM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:

Nice:
- transferable?
- amnesty registered?
- pre-May?
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Nice:
- transferable?
- amnesty registered?
- pre-May?

All three of these were manufactured before 1986, all three are transferable and I have paid the tax on all three of them, also, I am a FFL/SOT due to manufacturing Suppressors for sale and before I get close to passing away, all three will be transferred to our family trust.  I did a lot of things to ensure those that are fully legal in our family has the ability to own NFA items before I left the Army and that we would not have to surrender anything upon my death, I retired from the Army as an O6, and a Silver Star Award holder, so I do know quite a few in the BATF and if I have questions about something, I have numbers I can call to get them answered without causing much of a stir.

But yes, all three are transferable and can be sold to another legal individual if I so choose.  I also own a few short barreled guns and shotguns and a couple of full auto AK's
Link Posted: 4/16/2016 11:59:23 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

All three of these were manufactured before 1986, all three are transferable and I have paid the tax on all three of them, also, I am a FFL/SOT due to manufacturing Suppressors for sale and before I get close to passing away, all three will be transferred to our family trust.  I did a lot of things to ensure those that are fully legal in our family has the ability to own NFA items before I left the Army and that we would not have to surrender anything upon my death, I retired from the Army as an O6, and a Silver Star Award holder, so I do know quite a few in the BATF and if I have questions about something, I have numbers I can call to get them answered without causing much of a stir.

But yes, all three are transferable and can be sold to another legal individual if I so choose.  I also own a few short barreled guns and shotguns and a couple of full auto AK's
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Nice:
- transferable?
- amnesty registered?
- pre-May?

Very nice.

Are they property marked?

Link Posted: 4/16/2016 4:34:27 PM EDT
[#5]
Like this one.
Link Posted: 4/16/2016 9:05:15 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Like this one.
<a href="http://s745.photobucket.com/user/sergio762/media/uglysp2_zpstb5etjrl.jpg.html" target="_blank">http://i745.photobucket.com/albums/xx96/sergio762/uglysp2_zpstb5etjrl.jpg</a>
View Quote

That rear take down pin hold is brutal!
Link Posted: 4/16/2016 10:05:51 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Like this one.
<a href="http://s745.photobucket.com/user/sergio762/media/uglysp2_zpstb5etjrl.jpg.html" target="_blank">http://i745.photobucket.com/albums/xx96/sergio762/uglysp2_zpstb5etjrl.jpg</a>
View Quote

Was that the one Julia had a couple of years ago? It was just a lower with no upper. But it was ugly. Went for silly money at the time.
Link Posted: 4/16/2016 11:35:22 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

Very nice.

<a href="http://s277.photobucket.com/user/drfcolt/media/misc/Mkg%20late%20Colt%20A1_zpsbd7bsift.jpg.html" target="_blank">http://i277.photobucket.com/albums/kk64/drfcolt/misc/Mkg%20late%20Colt%20A1_zpsbd7bsift.jpg</a>
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Nice:
- transferable?
- amnesty registered?
- pre-May?

Very nice.

<a href="http://s277.photobucket.com/user/drfcolt/media/misc/Mkg%20late%20Colt%20A1_zpsbd7bsift.jpg.html" target="_blank">http://i277.photobucket.com/albums/kk64/drfcolt/misc/Mkg%20late%20Colt%20A1_zpsbd7bsift.jpg</a>

Yes sir, all three are properly marked and like I said, I have tracked down the full history on 2 of them and am working with the military archives to see if we can track down the full history on number 3.
Link Posted: 4/16/2016 11:36:40 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Like this one.
View Quote

Mine are not quite this ugly, this one looks like it has had a newer upper added over the years?
Link Posted: 4/17/2016 8:42:23 AM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
Was that the one Julia had a couple of years ago? It was just a lower with no upper. But it was ugly. Went for silly money at the time.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Like this one.

Maybe, but it looks like a super cheap one that was for sale 5/6 years ago. Asking price was $8Kish. It was listed online w/o a photo, I emailed the seller for some photos. it looked a lot like that one.

I asked Tony about it and sent him a photo asking him. Maybe he still has it?

Link Posted: 4/17/2016 10:46:31 AM EDT
[#11]
Considering that a cosmetically-challenged transferable piece can be made to look nearly new with a $300 investment in refinishing, why would anyone sell cheap?  This premise makes no sense.
Link Posted: 4/17/2016 11:57:15 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

Yes sir, all three are properly marked and like I said, I have tracked down the full history on 2 of them and am working with the military archives to see if we can track down the full history on number 3.
View Quote

Who is the MFG of record for these?
Link Posted: 4/17/2016 6:42:11 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

Maybe, but it looks like a super cheap one that was for sale 5/6 years ago. Asking price was $8Kish. It was listed online w/o a photo, I emailed the seller for some photos. it looked a lot like that one.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Like this one.

Might be. The one at Julia sold in 2012/2013. I was at the auction. Was going to throw a bid in but it went past what conversions where going for on gunbroker at the time so didn't bother. If it had been cheap then sure.
Link Posted: 4/17/2016 6:43:25 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Considering that a cosmetically-challenged transferable piece can be made to look nearly new with a $300 investment in refinishing, why would anyone sell cheap?  This premise makes no sense.
View Quote

That lower needs more then a $300 paint job. Look at the rear take down hole. That thing has been egged. Pretty badly. I'm sure someone could fix it, but it's not just a $300 refinish.
Link Posted: 4/18/2016 8:26:24 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

That lower needs more then a $300 paint job. Look at the rear take down hole. That thing has been egged. Pretty badly. I'm sure someone could fix it, but it's not just a $300 refinish.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

So you're saying $5-600 for M60Joe to weld up, grind down, and send to US Anodizing?  Seriously, how can there be more than a $5-600 discount?
Link Posted: 4/18/2016 10:09:28 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

So you're saying $5-600 for M60Joe to weld up, grind down, and send to US Anodizing?  Seriously, how can there be more than a $5-600 discount?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Agree looks like a easy fix. Some people dont have the stomach to do work themself with such a valueable lower bit off topic im just wondering if anyone has one and the story behind it just curious.
Link Posted: 4/18/2016 12:08:50 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Nice:
- transferable?
- amnesty registered?
- pre-May?

Not trying to be a smartass, but how does fact that you are a retired Colonel with a Silver Star relate to the fact that you "know quite a few in the BATF"? Were you in some kind of investigative branch of the Army that required some contact with ATF?
Link Posted: 4/18/2016 10:26:34 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Is that what m60joe would charge to fix it? I mean even if it's $600 that's 100% more then what you quoted. And even then what would you consider being "refinished"? I wouldn't call welding the lower a "refinishing" job.
Link Posted: 4/18/2016 11:02:16 PM EDT
[#19]

Not trying to be a smartass, but how does fact that you are a retired Colonel with a Silver Star relate to the fact that you "know quite a few in the BATF"? Were you in some kind of investigative branch of the Army that required some contact with ATF?
View Quote

11 Years as one of the heads of intelligence gathering in the Pentagon opened a lot of doors for me.  We didn't just gather intelligence on threats from outside of the US.  You would be amazed at how many requests we received from inside of the country on those who are already here, from many of the law enforcement agencies in this country.  I have many associates and friends in various Alphabet agencies.
Link Posted: 4/18/2016 11:14:55 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

11 Years as one of the heads of intelligence gathering in the Pentagon opened a lot of doors for me.  We didn't just gather intelligence on threats from outside of the US.  You would be amazed at how many requests we received from inside of the country on those who are already here, from many of the law enforcement agencies in this country.  I have many associates and friends in various Alphabet agencies.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Impressive. Thanks for sharing.
Link Posted: 4/18/2016 11:21:32 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

It is really not that big of a deal, it was fun to play spy for a while, but I enjoy my life much more now than I did in those days, but I do call in a favor every once in a a while, and have some interesting BBQ's parties these days! But that is all in the past.  I now have long hair, drink lots of Canadian Whiskey and don't worry about much!  Thanks for asking.

Link Posted: 4/18/2016 11:29:36 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

It is really not that big of a deal, it was fun to play spy for a while, but I enjoy my life much more now than I did in those days, but I do call in a favor every once in a a while, and have some interesting BBQ's parties these days! But that is all in the past.  I now have long hair, drink lots of Canadian Whiskey and don't worry about much!  Thanks for asking.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Call me in a favor and tell them to let me form 1 a mg. Thats all.
Link Posted: 4/18/2016 11:35:03 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

View Quote

Really?  Now that is fucking funny!  Pass the bottle!

Ooops, "Please pass the bottle!

Link Posted: 4/19/2016 5:07:29 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Make it two form 1's.

I'll buy you a case of CC.

Page Armory » M-16
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top