Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page Armory » M-16
Site Notices
Posted: 10/11/2006 4:58:15 PM EDT
Looking around at the boards, It seems that certain M16 models command a premium price over others.

Such as....U.S. Property marked Colt M16A1's seem to be more expensive than non U.S. Property marked A1's.

Colt M16A2's command a premium over M16A1's.

If someone were to purchase just one M16 model to shoot and collect...is it worth paying the extra premium to get a U.S. Property marked A1 or paying the extra premium to find a newer M16A2 model?

Interested in hearing some feedback.

Thanks....O3 out!!  

Link Posted: 10/11/2006 6:49:47 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 10/12/2006 2:02:49 PM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:
If you're buying it to shoot, the extra $$$ for an A2 or a property-marked A1 is wasted money. The property markings obviously do not affect shootability, and the A2 reenforcements were added to strengthen the receiver for use in butt-stroking the enemy, or when undertaking high-impact missions like jumping out of airplanes. I don't beat up folks with my A1, or jump out of vehicles with it, so that's a moot improvement.

From an investment standpoint, there is a premium attached to A2 forgings and property markings because such guns are much more rare than A1s. They consistently run 15-20% higher than A1s in market value, and as A1s appreciate over time, the value of that percentage will grow as well.

Personally, I do not like to pay more than I need to for features that add no functional value. They eat up funds that would be better spent on accessories and ammo, and unneccessarily increase the "worry" factor every time you take your expensive toy to the range. But that's just my take.

Sounds spot-on to me!
Link Posted: 10/12/2006 5:52:17 PM EDT
[#3]
Tony,

Thanks for responding sir. I figured as much, however it's always nice to ask the experts. In all actuality, I would love to get into a Colt A2 since that is what I carried in the Marine Corps. Although, as you stated in your response thats a big premium to pay for a different rollmark and a receiver with a bit more aluminum left on it.

I recently ran across a new A1 for sale...prettiest one I've ever seen. Clean, crisp rollmarks, beautiful even gray anodizing...the guy is asking $14K. I see NIB A2's going for almost double that...I just can't justify that much more money. It's hard enough to swallow paying 14K when you consciously know new M16's in all variants sell for the same ammount as a new AR-15...sometimes less. Very frustrating

Anyhow, im definitely considering the plunge. You guys will be hearing from me more often now as I'm studying up.

Semper-Fi...O3 out!!  
Page Armory » M-16
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top